Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Skarsnik posted:

Photos actually has a chat thing in it now

Sigh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

You say that, and I get it, but it sounds like the photos chat is what's needed.

We're the fools now!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I won't lie, me and the mrs have been using it quite a lot. Sending a picture and a quick chat without leaving an app is rather useful

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Google Photos has been pretty perfect for me since I finally gave up on Picasa coming back and also stopped posting much on Social Media sites. For baby photos I want to keep somewhat private, it's perfect for firing up a link for family.

Still miss Picasa though

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, that's the functionality I'm talking about, I didn't know what it was called, thank you. Is there a way to get Google News to use the default browser instead of WebView? Disabling WebView just makes it crash whenever I click on a story.

Not quite the same, but you could create a favorite shortcut to news.google.com in your browser of choice. Drop the shortcut on your home screen and use it instead of the app. Stories should open in the browser.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

incogneato posted:

Not quite the same, but you could create a favorite shortcut to news.google.com in your browser of choice. Drop the shortcut on your home screen and use it instead of the app. Stories should open in the browser.
This occurred to me last night, and I did it. Works well enough.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ahaha Photos chat
yet another loving google chat system that doesn't integrate with anything else
NICE

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Except the photo chat thing is good and useful and gives my parents s place to talk about the pictures of my son that I share with them.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

cinnamon rollout posted:

Except the photo chat thing is good and useful and gives my parents s place to talk about the pictures of my son that I share with them.

i can't even imagine trying to teach my boomer as poo poo parents an esoteric google product.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How do Samsung Pay and Google Pay compare? Is it worth bothering with either or should I just suck it up and keep carrying my cards around?

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

Maker Of Shoes posted:

i can't even imagine trying to teach my boomer as poo poo parents an esoteric google product.

Haha, I don't know how it even happened, normally it is impossible to get them to admit they understand anything, especially phones.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

YggiDee posted:

How do Samsung Pay and Google Pay compare? Is it worth bothering with either or should I just suck it up and keep carrying my cards around?

When I bother to use Google pay it works great. I scanned the dozen or so loyalty cards i have into it, and that was fantastic. It's useful in that I share a grocery loyalty card with my wife and mother in law, and I never, ever remember to bring the actual card, but I always have my phone with me.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

cinnamon rollout posted:

When I bother to use Google pay it works great. I scanned the dozen or so loyalty cards i have into it, and that was fantastic. It's useful in that I share a grocery loyalty card with my wife and mother in law, and I never, ever remember to bring the actual card, but I always have my phone with me.

Yea, my boyfriend and I use Google Pay all the time. I can even see my Ticketmaster tickets in there and transfer them to him as needed (or vice versa). And whenever he sends me money for the bills or whatever, it always pops up in my bank account almost instantly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
In PocketCasts, can you set it to automatically retry a failed download?

My phone tries to DL when I connect to the gym Wi-Fi, but longer podcasts tend to fail in the background and I don't notice until hours later when I open the app and have to manually tell it to grab the episode.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

In PocketCasts, can you set it to automatically retry a failed download?

My phone tries to DL when I connect to the gym Wi-Fi, but longer podcasts tend to fail in the background and I don't notice until hours later when I open the app and have to manually tell it to grab the episode.

Not that I know of but a workaround is to set it to download only when charging and then it won't even attempt to use the sketchy wifi.

Hey and while I've got you, you mentioned in the "Recommend a phone" thread you were having some frustrations with Android Auto and that wasn't thread to ask you about them, but I really wanted to. Mind sharing some?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Caveat that I haven't used it regularly in a year.

The voice stuff never worked right for me. Half the time it wouldn't do what I wanted me to do, even things that I asked for it to do the day before. It seemed like the commands were always changing.

My biggest issues were with Google Play Music, which is my primary music player. Doing anything with voice sucked. I had one time when after five minutes of trying to get it to play an album, I just pulled out the phone and queued it up in five seconds.

Basically, I'd get really mad and frustrated while using it and felt like a lot of my attention and mental energy went into trying to make it work, which never was a problem with my old head units, even ones with touch. I never found it to be safer to use and always less convenient.

Once I had navigation going and music playing, it was pretty nice. I miss being able to listen to messages being read to me.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

YggiDee posted:

The difference is that Samsung Pay uses MST instead of NFC and so I'm able to use it at nearly every machine that takes credit cards. I can't count all the times then store workers have said "wow I didnt know we could do that". Google Pay requires a terminal that supports NFC, which are becoming more common but aren't yet universal.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Really depends where you are, I'd say. Haven't seen a non-NFC payment terminal in a long while. But, personally, I don't use Google Pay but the payment app my bank provides (and that uses NFC as well).

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Ah. I'm in Canada and we've had NFC everywhere for a while now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Caveat that I haven't used it regularly in a year.

The voice stuff never worked right for me. Half the time it wouldn't do what I wanted me to do, even things that I asked for it to do the day before. It seemed like the commands were always changing.

My biggest issues were with Google Play Music, which is my primary music player. Doing anything with voice sucked. I had one time when after five minutes of trying to get it to play an album, I just pulled out the phone and queued it up in five seconds.

Basically, I'd get really mad and frustrated while using it and felt like a lot of my attention and mental energy went into trying to make it work, which never was a problem with my old head units, even ones with touch. I never found it to be safer to use and always less convenient.

Once I had navigation going and music playing, it was pretty nice. I miss being able to listen to messages being read to me.

Well I'm not going to tell you start trying it again now.

They just released an update, detailed here for those not in the know, that allows you to silence notifications. That'd be wonderful if it didn't also include a bug(?) that when enabled notifications never disappear. It's even worse if you're navigating because you'll make the turn that the navigation told you to and the screen still keeps the blank notification on top of the map. It's the most Google thing and part of me thinks it might be intentional.

There's another bug that got introduced when the last Android Auto update came out that I was wondering if it was happening to anyone else. If AA generates a sound, it kicks me out to the car interface. Like I have to go back into my inputs and select AA again, and the previous source starts playing even if AA was previously playing audio. It doesn't happen if I invoke Assistant, but it does it as soon as Assistant acknowledges my request. When navigating if sounds are turned on, it will do it at every loving sound. (Thankfully I only use alert sounds but that means it still does it on route completion or if there's any alerts.)

I don't see how this could be a Mazda thing since it's not like I'm updating the stereo.

I don't have any advice for you, Uthor. It's not like Assistant's gotten any better. I never use voice controls for Spotify because I've simply never needed to but then I'm not listening to full albums from my library so there's not a lot of searching involved.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I don't have any advice for you, Uthor. It's not like Assistant's gotten any better. I never use voice controls for Spotify because I've simply never needed to but then I'm not listening to full albums from my library so there's not a lot of searching involved.

Well, there's about zero chance my new car will get AA capability unless I replace the head unit with a weird Android based device custom made for BMWs by a little known company, so I won't start using it anytime soon!

I use it sometimes with my Mom's Honda, but strictly for navigation while listening to FM.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Well, there's about zero chance my new car will get AA capability unless I replace the head unit with a weird Android based device custom made for BMWs by a little known company, so I won't start using it anytime soon!

I use it sometimes with my Mom's Honda, but strictly for navigation while listening to FM.

Well if you've got a Bimmer, you might be tempted to try CarPlay in which case, LOL. My wife got an iPhone recently so we were both quite shocked to find out how bad CarPlay was. Enormous fonts that obscure everything, Google Maps shows about half the level of detail and area as Android Auto does, Apple Maps has a mode that just shows you houses and not streets if you're the type of driver who doesn't need roads, the switching from music to maps is incredibly frustrating after not needing to do it, and the whole thing is just ugly and gross with buttons that both aren't centered and aren't the ones you want. Siri is like Assistant with a lobotomy and has never once returned a helpful result in the car. One time, I poo poo you not, she answered "What kind of car was featured in the Brady Bunch?" with "I can't tell you while you're driving." This weekend we asked where to find parking in a strange city and she told us to drive back home.

I was surprised since I'd read how improved it was over the first version on all the tech blogs. I can't imagine releasing it at all in the state it's in now and if it was worse before... My wife just stopped plugging in her phone at all it's so bad.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

LastInLine posted:

There's another bug that got introduced when the last Android Auto update came out that I was wondering if it was happening to anyone else. If AA generates a sound, it kicks me out to the car interface. Like I have to go back into my inputs and select AA again, and the previous source starts playing even if AA was previously playing audio. It doesn't happen if I invoke Assistant, but it does it as soon as Assistant acknowledges my request. When navigating if sounds are turned on, it will do it at every loving sound. (Thankfully I only use alert sounds but that means it still does it on route completion or if there's any alerts.)

I don't see how this could be a Mazda thing since it's not like I'm updating the stereo.

I have not had this issue. We're in a Toyota, and both using Pixel 3s (no idea if either of those things matter).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

incogneato posted:

I have not had this issue. We're in a Toyota, and both using Pixel 3s (no idea if either of those things matter).

I haven't seen it either. It does sound infuriating, though!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll troubleshoot.

Oh yeah, the new update allows you to disable Google Play Music from the home screen so yay for a cleaner look.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

incogneato posted:

I don't have that issue either, Mazda 3 and Galaxy S10

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Note 10+ and AA on a 2017 Trax, and I don't see this behavior.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

AlexDeGruven posted:

Note 10+ and AA on a 2017 Trax, and I don't see this behavior.

How is the Trax? I considered getting one briefly but it looked a bit small for what it is and I think I read some bad reviews.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'm a large man (6'5) and it's ok. Driver's seat is a little narrow, but not uncomfortable. The CUV shape offers plenty of headroom, nearly as much as my beetle did. Just don't expect to be able to use the back seats if anyone in front is larger than below average. Engine can at least get out of its own way, but wouldn't call it anything resembling quick.

But it was dirt cheap and gets decent mileage, so it works.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Maps has a new icon. I hate it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I only got the icon, none of the other changes that Android Police reported on yesterday.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The multicolor pin is nice, but a flat white background looks a bit weird. I wonder when in-map chat is coming.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Ola posted:

I wonder when in-map chat is coming.

I hadn't thought it wasn't there until you mentioned it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Ola posted:

The multicolor pin is nice

My pin is still red :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

dissss posted:

I hate it.

unironically empty quoting

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Having an odd issue with the stock alarm clock

I'm trying to add a Google assistant routine, but nothing will save

Clicking add routine to an alarm brings me to a screen with all sorts of suggested actions, and i can select any or move the order of them around but then hitting save in the top right does absolutely nothing. All I can do after that is back out, and its not added to the alarm

Any ideas?

This works for me now.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Here's my spicy hot take on passwords management: it's always going to be a compromise between convenience and security. Whatever you decide to use is going to depend on a lot of factors like threat models, risk tolerance, use cases, user experience. I don't think you can outright say one is better than the other.

Full disclosure, I'm a filthy keepass user. I like the fact that it can be offline only and while clunky, it's simple for me to understand that I just need to transfer my database around and not have to worry about the security of whatever cloud system it's on. Basically, at no point does the security of my passwords leave my hands.

Okay so technically that's not true. I've relented and gave up some security for convenience by having my database saved on my google drive. My rationale is that I'm boned if someone cracks my gmail anyways and that I trust google more with their infinite money to keep their stuff secure. My gmail is protected with a very strong password, 2fa, etc so that lets me use a weaker, more easily rememberable password when I need to open my database up.

I looked into bitwarden before because I had syncing issues when using keepassdroid (then people mentioned keepass2android in this thread and I've been happy with that). My concern here is that you have to use some kind of online system with them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that you can either use their server or roll you own. Using their server is convenient, but becomes a point of failure that's outside of my control. They don't have infinite money like google does to keep their stuff secure, so if someone breaks into it they'd have a treasure trove of password databases to play with. Yeah they're all encrypted, but I'd bet that people are using weaker passwords on their manager so it's easier to unlock across their different platforms. This means that it's easier bruteforce them if the server ever gets cracked.

Okay, so then you say you can roll your own server and host it on your own. But then I'd have to janitor and maintain that and at that point you're again trading in security for convenience. You're already getting into super nerd territory there, and I prefer my super nerd method of managing my password database the keepass way.

Now there's some nice features bitwarden has, such as being able to selectively share passwords. You can technically argue that keepass lets you share passwords by just handing over a database, but it'll be clunky and weird. Again, this is another tradeoff between security and useability. If you like it and accept the risks, great, that's fine.

Now I'm sure you can find a lot of contrived situations where my use case is flawed, and I could do the same with your use case. That's not my argument though. It really just boils down to security/convenience and I'm glad there's different things for different people. I'm a curmudgeon who wants to use the keepass security model, and I'd have no problem recommending normies use bitwarden because that seems like the least worst of the cloud based services.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Keep rear end-Droid?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

yergacheffe posted:

Here's my spicy hot take on passwords management:

I use Bitwarden and agree with pretty much everything. The convenience/security tradeoffs of hosting etc are details. Not even icing on the cake, just decorations on the icing. The actual cake is strong passwords and zero password reuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

yergacheffe posted:

Here's my spicy hot take on passwords management

A couple points of contention, with the admission that what you're saying is essentially correct.

yergacheffe posted:

Okay so technically that's not true. I've relented and gave up some security for convenience by having my database saved on my google drive. My rationale is that I'm boned if someone cracks my gmail anyways and that I trust google more with their infinite money to keep their stuff secure. My gmail is protected with a very strong password, 2fa, etc so that lets me use a weaker, more easily rememberable password when I need to open my database up.

I looked into bitwarden before because I had syncing issues when using keepassdroid (then people mentioned keepass2android in this thread and I've been happy with that). My concern here is that you have to use some kind of online system with them. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that you can either use their server or roll you own. Using their server is convenient, but becomes a point of failure that's outside of my control. They don't have infinite money like google does to keep their stuff secure, so if someone breaks into it they'd have a treasure trove of password databases to play with. Yeah they're all encrypted, but I'd bet that people are using weaker passwords on their manager so it's easier to unlock across their different platforms. This means that it's easier bruteforce them if the server ever gets cracked.

Bitwarden and 1Password both also give their users salt when they sign up. It's not just that the vault is encrypted with the user's password, but the salt ensures that despite a perhaps weaker password, there's not a risk of bruteforcing your stolen vault. It's just not going to happen and isn't worth considering.

I'd also point out that you're not just trusting Google and its infinite money with your vault, you're trusting the manufacturer of your phone, the developer of the apps required to sync and use it, your computer and its security along with all the first and third parties making applications for that, and still likely more beyond that.

This is true of course no matter password manager you use, but it's narrow thinking to limit your imagination to "somehow my Google Drive got hacked" when you've got so many other links in the chain. No protection is perfect in the end and the vast majority of us rely on just not being targeted but if we were the vector would almost certainly be on the decrypted vault, i.e. keylogging or phishing, not on the vault itself.

Ola posted:

The actual cake is strong passwords and zero password reuse.

This is the important thing everyone should remember. NEVER reuse passwords.