Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
A friend who is on constaff showed me her con's no-no list and Vic is underlined and circled repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

To answer your earlier question yes there are multiple blocklists including some massive ones because a lot of Vic's supporters on twitter are really disingenuous and just trying to start fights and spread false information as propaganda. The most obsessive of them also constantly create sock puppet alts, so the lists get updated iirc.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Julias posted:

To answer your earlier question yes there are multiple blocklists including some massive ones because a lot of Vic's supporters on twitter are really disingenuous and just trying to start fights and spread false information as propaganda. The most obsessive of them also constantly create sock puppet alts, so the lists get updated iirc.
Thank you for the info, I appreciate it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Senerio posted:

A friend who is on constaff showed me her con's no-no list and Vic is underlined and circled repeatedly.

i wonder how many cons vic got into because the person doing the invites didn't know he was a missing stair and then everyone else was like "well it'd be too awkward to uninvite him"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

i wonder how many cons vic got into because the person doing the invites didn't know he was a missing stair and then everyone else was like "well it'd be too awkward to uninvite him"

He was probably a pretty big draw, and I'm guessing the people in charge of organizing these have a similar portion of CHUDs as the rest of anime fandom, so I bet a lot of it was one or two higher ups in the organizing saying "he just jokes around/nothing's been proven and innocent until proven guilty/those are just rumours started by jealous people."

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I wonder how many he's not getting invited too now because he's proven litigious against cons who invite him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SoftNum posted:

I wonder how many he's not getting invited too now because he's proven litigious against cons who invite him.

That's probably true. Much harder to sue a con that didn't invite in the first place than to sue one that invited you, then disinvited you.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Yeah as someone who used to staff cons and still keeps up with people who still do, the Vic Discourse back in the day was always mealy mouthed "but he draws in so many people, though," with a side of victim blaming and downplaying his poo poo, not any genuine mistake.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I remember hearing (well, technically reading) it as far back as when I used to frequent TV Tropes back in 2008. And when it popped up that it wasn't even remotely a one-time thing and that the fucker did it all the time. And back when the somewhat dumb "troper tales" was still a thing, I remember it got consistently taken out because of those same attitudes you're mentioning, Babysitter.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

He was probably a pretty big draw, and I'm guessing the people in charge of organizing these have a similar portion of CHUDs as the rest of anime fandom, so I bet a lot of it was one or two higher ups in the organizing saying "he just jokes around/nothing's been proven and innocent until proven guilty/those are just rumours started by jealous people."

When FMB blew up on Toonami he could legit pack the giant halls. It clearly went to his head pretty early on, which is not to say if he'd just done smaller cons he would be humble or not a sex pest.

Related to con volunteers, this VicStan flex was hilarious:

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1223110655131041793

I don't think that guy's ever been to a convention.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dawgstar posted:

When FMB blew up on Toonami he could legit pack the giant halls. It clearly went to his head pretty early on, which is not to say if he'd just done smaller cons he would be humble or not a sex pest.

Perhaps he should be part of Vic’s new legal dream team!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What do these people think the word volunteer means?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Also just a general lack of understanding at what volunteer/paid day-of crew do to actually make any given convention run anywhere close to well.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
FEWER VOLUNTEERS == BETTER FOR THE CON is the weirdest flex I've seen in a while.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I love the idea anyone at most fan-run cons get paid. That's hilarious.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Dawgstar posted:

He literally got into trouble for grooming teenagers when he was a youth minister teacher at a religious school before he did voice work.

And didn’t he also get into trouble for something like that when he was a cop, after that?

Also LOL I only just learned he “graduated” from Liberty “University.”

eschaton fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 1, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Maera Sior posted:

I love the idea anyone at most fan-run cons get paid. That's hilarious.

I checked out of the thread but I can only imagine there's a legion of people claiming they've been to tons of conventions where there were no volunteers at all and everything just happened like clockwork and really you don't even need volunteers when you think about it.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

eschaton posted:

Also LOL I only just learned he “graduated” from Liberty “University.”

Huh, so in some alternate reality Vic took advantage of the connections formed at his Alma mater to become what I presume would be a notorious GOP operator in the Hill.

Maybe our timeline isn’t so bad after all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Huh, so in some alternate reality Vic took advantage of the connections formed at his Alma mater to become what I presume would be a notorious GOP operator in the Hill.

We're in the stupid timeline.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dr. Killjoy posted:

It's definitely possible he was too dumb to even accomplish that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dr. Killjoy posted:

That's the logical next step now that he's not doing voice work or cons.

Or you know, a fox news contributor gig.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yeah as someone who used to staff cons and still keeps up with people who still do, the Vic Discourse back in the day was always mealy mouthed "but he draws in so many people, though," with a side of victim blaming and downplaying his poo poo, not any genuine mistake.

Wark Say posted:

I remember hearing (well, technically reading) it as far back as when I used to frequent TV Tropes back in 2008. And when it popped up that it wasn't even remotely a one-time thing and that the fucker did it all the time. And back when the somewhat dumb "troper tales" was still a thing, I remember it got consistently taken out because of those same attitudes you're mentioning, Babysitter.

Hell, I even remember some commentary about it on LiveJournal in the mid-to-late 00s, though it didn't spread beyond the posts that brought it up. And since this was a time before most fandom spaces started having serious talks about sexual harassment and assault, this resulted in most of the comments either going "huh, that's weird" and then shrugging it off, or coming to Vic's defense with anything ranging from "those are unproven rumors", to outright downplaying it because they didn't view it as overtly violent and/or they thought people should be flattered to get attention from him.

Suffice to say, a lot of kids/teens in online spaces absorbed some very bad lessons from watching him be forgiven so easily, and I'm glad that there's been a cultural shift where people can finally be heard and be taken seriously. I wish I could remember where exactly on LJ I saw all of that so I have something to point to whenever someone asserts this is a SJW conspiracy made up last year, but last I checked LJ's search function was dogshit.

I'm also glad he got the legal representation he deserves and that it turned into such a shitshow. I don't really understand all the legal details about this: It is pretty much over for them at this point, or are there more consequences they could face? (Besides being laughed at for all eternity, that's a given.)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Basically, he got off pretty lightly because he only has to pay a fraction of the opposing council’s claimed attorney fees, though he got a warning that persisting with appeals could leave him more open to being liable for the full amount.

So of course he’s already launched an appeal. :v:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MiracleFlare posted:

I'm also glad he got the legal representation he deserves and that it turned into such a shitshow. I don't really understand all the legal details about this: It is pretty much over for them at this point, or are there more consequences they could face? (Besides being laughed at for all eternity, that's a given.)
While fellow goon Regalingualius described it pretty neatly, you know how Moe Szyslak's expression of "No, dig up stupid!" became a sort of expression to basically represent that universal "Hey, maybe stop faffing about and pay attention/do it like this?" feeling most of us have when handed a second chance at something?

Vic decided to ignore that simple pearl of wisdom.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

MiracleFlare posted:

Hell, I even remember some commentary about it on LiveJournal in the mid-to-late 00s, though it didn't spread beyond the posts that brought it up. And since this was a time before most fandom spaces started having serious talks about sexual harassment and assault, this resulted in most of the comments either going "huh, that's weird" and then shrugging it off, or coming to Vic's defense with anything ranging from "those are unproven rumors", to outright downplaying it because they didn't view it as overtly violent and/or they thought people should be flattered to get attention from him.

Suffice to say, a lot of kids/teens in online spaces absorbed some very bad lessons from watching him be forgiven so easily, and I'm glad that there's been a cultural shift where people can finally be heard and be taken seriously. I wish I could remember where exactly on LJ I saw all of that so I have something to point to whenever someone asserts this is a SJW conspiracy made up last year, but last I checked LJ's search function was dogshit.

yeah i remember hearing these rumors of vic being kind of passed around hush-hush as a teen back in the 2000s. and it confused me because if he was doing that, then why was he still being invited to cons and no one doing anything?

recently during his trial i knew a dude complaining about how suspicious it was that all these rumors about vic were coming out now and didn't believe me when i said that people had been talking about it for over fifteen years.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Dr. Killjoy posted:

There's still time for him to end up being president somehow

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

MiracleFlare posted:

I think it also depended on the fandom. Around this same time I first heard the Vic rumors on LJ in the Hetalia fandom. People were worried about him being cast as one of the characters in the dub because of the number of young girls in the fandom (of which I was one, flying under LJ’s age restrictions via the power of lying).

Of course, people were more worried about his homophobia because the gay fanservice in Hetalia. But the sexual harassment also came up and wasn’t dismissed.

(To this day CLAMP fans are mad he voiced Fai, even if Tsubasa’s anime sucked.)

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Thank you for the explanations! Good to see he keeps digging down deeper even after getting warned he could still make it worse for himself.

Splash Attack posted:

yeah i remember hearing these rumors of vic being kind of passed around hush-hush as a teen back in the 2000s. and it confused me because if he was doing that, then why was he still being invited to cons and no one doing anything?

recently during his trial i knew a dude complaining about how suspicious it was that all these rumors about vic were coming out now and didn't believe me when i said that people had been talking about it for over fifteen years.

It's been so long that I can't remember what I was thinking, but I assume my reaction was much the same because I believed that if so many people didn't think it was a problem then it must not be a problem after all, because the world was just and no one would ever let a predator go free! And that was a dangerous conclusion for an impressionable teen like me to make, since it's not like Vic is unique in that regard. I really mean it when I say I'm relieved that online discussions about this subject have changed in the past 15 years.

I tried to do a few searches since posting, but so many journals/communities went private or were deleted that it might just be gone; it might have even been on a LJ clone that went down years ago. Oh, well. I imagine digging up random LJ comments wouldn't exactly change anyone's minds at this point; someone determined to defend him would just say it's all slander.

hopeandjoy posted:

I think it also depended on the fandom. Around this same time I first heard the Vic rumors on LJ in the Hetalia fandom. People were worried about him being cast as one of the characters in the dub because of the number of young girls in the fandom (of which I was one, flying under LJ’s age restrictions via the power of lying).

Of course, people were more worried about his homophobia because the gay fanservice in Hetalia. But the sexual harassment also came up and wasn’t dismissed.

(To this day CLAMP fans are mad he voiced Fai, even if Tsubasa’s anime sucked.)

This too! I didn't even watch most of the series he was connected with, and while I liked FMA I never got involved with the fandom. I almost certainly missed a lot of discussion just because I wasn't paying attention. I do remember that his homophobia came up quite a bit too.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I do remember people here groaning when he got cast as the badass Uncle Qrow in RWBY a few years ago, and... Well, hopefully they feel vindicated in hindsight, and credit to Rooster Teeth for not just unceremoniously killing the character off or removing him from the plot.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
:chloe:
https://twitter.com/ljmontello/status/1224738082345246720

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:laffo: The gall of this fuckface. Like unless you're either:
a) Professional and personable enough.
b) An A-list with a fuckton of pull who can either get away with being a poo poo (for a while, anyway) or already knows when to pull back the aforementioned poo poo when tape gets rolling.
c) A trainwreck that gets cast because of the "No such thing as bad publicity" clause.

Like forget the director or hell even the producers on an active work; anyone with a hand on casting wouldn't touch your rear end with a 10-foot pole. I'm betting he's also probably mad that most of his non-VA gigs went to people like Patrick Seitz and whatnot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

I do remember people here groaning when he got cast as the badass Uncle Qrow in RWBY a few years ago, and... Well, hopefully they feel vindicated in hindsight, and credit to Rooster Teeth for not just unceremoniously killing the character off or removing him from the plot.

Mind you, with how his plotline's been going lately, killing him off might have been the smarter move.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I was just dumbstruck at how stupid and contrived his last fight from this season was when I first saw it. :v:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I hate to make this thread about the roles he plays and not news and facts about the litigation, but i remember a video with the creator of rwby in. The basic gist being that the writers had to keep getting pulled back from planning multi season arcs rather than the immediate future. I'd imagine thats why the character is still around, because of that bad habit.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

dwarf74 posted:

That's the logical next step now that he's not doing voice work or cons.

Or you know, a fox news contributor gig.

Fox News youth minister culture expert.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somebody posted a wider picture of that, uh, panel and there's like half a dozen people there.

I bet he'll be invited to the big comic chud convention in Florida they're trying to push. He can be their 'anime star.'

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dawgstar posted:

Somebody posted a wider picture of that, uh, panel and there's like half a dozen people there.

I bet he'll be invited to the big comic chud convention in Florida they're trying to push. He can be their 'anime star.'

Will sean spicer be there in his Gundam

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Alan Smithee posted:

Will sean spicer be there in his Gundam
I distractedly watched a few episodes of Mobile Suit Gundam (the extremely 70's one), and is the main character's superpower really that he just read the user manual?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dwarf74 posted:

I distractedly watched a few episodes of Mobile Suit Gundam (the extremely 70's one), and is the main character's superpower really that he just read the user manual?

You ever work in an office, or in IT?

Reading the manual has always and will always be a super power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

Also that every other competent pilot they have available is either dead or just as inexperienced as he is.