Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I know that road. Hey, Great Falls, what up?

Malmstrom AFB is a constant source of OSHA. An MP who was visiting a friend of a friend of mine in college insisted on having me take his new Kia SUV to get the drunk idiots snacks. It was a complete piece of poo poo that could barely climb the mountain to campus, but that's not even the dumbest part. Dude starts telling me about his job.

In detail.

And, I mean, I was doing maybe 20mph in this poo poo-can Kia, so he had a lot of free time to blather. Then, suddenly he stopped. He stared into the middle distance.

"Oh poo poo. All of that was like...super classified."

:smugjones:

Just because someone else is bad at it doesn't mean you yourself should break OPSEC

It's like money in a world where mugging is legal: best not to even talk about it. Now you are also going to get honey trapped by foreign governments seeking some super secret spy details on...
*checks notes*
"The second of three doors to national secrets vault # 312, and also Cpl. Morgan's case of the clap as transmitted by sitting on infected furniture."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Mistle posted:

Just because someone else is bad at it doesn't mean you yourself should break OPSEC

It's like money in a world where mugging is legal: best not to even talk about it. Now you are also going to get honey trapped by foreign governments seeking some super secret spy details on...
*checks notes*
"The second of three doors to national secrets vault # 312, and also Cpl. Morgan's case of the clap as transmitted by sitting on infected furniture."

Haha, if my 20 year old knowledge of boring facts about patrol routes around Malmstrom is useful, someone hit me up. My cat has cancer and I need some :10bux:

Gulping Again posted:

as a montanan i believe that great falls blows wet rear end

As a Montanan, I wholly agree. I mean, this is the bar in the background of the video, and that should tell you all you need to know:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/flamingo-lounge-business-great-falls

When I was growing up, my parents couldn't decide if Butte or Great Falls was the armpit of the state. We settled on Butte being the state's butthole, since it's literally got a hole in it, and Great Falls is the armpit because it smells like refineries and cow poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I know that road. Hey, Great Falls, what up?

Malmstrom AFB is a constant source of OSHA. An MP who was visiting a friend of a friend of mine in college insisted on having me take his new Kia SUV to get the drunk idiots snacks. It was a complete piece of poo poo that could barely climb the mountain to campus, but that's not even the dumbest part. Dude starts telling me about his job.

In detail.

And, I mean, I was doing maybe 20mph in this poo poo-can Kia, so he had a lot of free time to blather. Then, suddenly he stopped. He stared into the middle distance.

"Oh poo poo. All of that was like...super classified."

:smugjones:

Oh, what did he tell you about?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

chitoryu12 posted:

Oh, what did he tell you about?

Nothing super interesting to the lay person, unfortunately. A bit about patrol routes (what towns they were visiting along the way and how lovely their food was), how many people were in the patrols, and how frequent they were. I'm sure it'd be SUPER interesting to the right parties, but for me, it was like, "Dude, if you're not talking to me about how to infiltrate abandoned silos or talking about actual warheads, shut the gently caress up so I can figure out how to get this piece of poo poo car back to campus."

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

The danger of a dirty bomb is 999‰ panic and 1‰ direct health effects.

:monocle:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Basically it comes down to this: the more radioactive something is, the shorter its half life. A long half life means very little exposure in a short period of time. I could lay on a Uranium pillow each night for a year and my exposure would be less than what we get living in Denver and getting a CT scan in a year. Plutonium can be nasty if inhaled/eaten, but still takes time to work. Disperse it widely enough, and the effects are very dilute; you'd maybe see a dirty bomb give people 1% increased latent cancer risks.

The good stuff is short-lived. Iodine 131, Tech-99, and other short-lived isotopes...except they're in small quantities and have half-lives counted in days. You have to accumulate all the material at the same time and deploy it at the same time.

Cs-137 and Sr-90 are the best candidates that could be a balance between the two extremes, but they give off detectable Beta/Gamma rather than the more damaging/harder to detect alpha emitters. Again, these are tightly controlled and hard to get so it's unlike you'd see a dirty bomb with this material since most of the sources that used these have been collected by the US and put into secure storage.

Truth is, a real dirty bomb would kill very few people but expose a TON of people to a higher chance of illness that would not be realized for perhaps even decades. Experience with Hiroshima and Nagasaki survivors suggest the latent cancer risk/health of the survivors would be very close to national averages, but you bet they'd be monitored for the rest of their lives. Not to mention decontamination of a massive area is not cost-effective in many cases and there'd always be public doubts that a good enough job was done.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

the moderate inconvenience bomb

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Platystemon posted:

The danger of a dirty bomb is 999‰ panic and 1‰ direct health effects.

Well look here at Mister Fancy Pants with his per mille symbol

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
But what if the terrorists get exposed to radiation and develop super human mutant powers? :ohdear:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Does this mean "per thousandth"? I've genuinely never seen that symbol before.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Proteus Jones posted:

Does this mean "per thousandth"? I've genuinely never seen that symbol before.

Yes.

Here’s the permyriad symbol: ‱

Use it with care.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A friend of mine's got a buddy with a yard full of "reclaimed" building materials and was helping him move some stuff around when he spotted a stack of fibrous stuff sitting out in the open.

"poo poo, dude, that's not asbestos, is it?"
"Nah, don't worry. That's fiberglass."
"Heh, okay. Phew."
"That's asbestos."

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

PhazonLink posted:

goin by this thread and the chemistry thread its probably easier and cheaper to just use some sort of chemicalz and let the cancer rates do its thing.

Get your hands on a bunch of fentanyl/carfentanil and then dump it in a municipal water pumping station or the HVAC system to a convention hall or something.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_hostage_crisis_chemical_agent

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
About a decade ago I worked part time at my university's student union. The building it was in was ancient and contractors were onsite to build two modern extensions on either side, which we'd then move into while they gutted the original building to renovate it.

Anyway the contractors were down in the original building's boiler room for some reason (I think they'd built a tunnel to the one of the adjacent sites that ran through it?) and one of them slammed a steel ladder up against the side of an old water tank that had asbestos insulation around it. Just spilled huge chunks of the stuff all over the boiler room floor. They proceed to do... nothing. Didn't report it to anybody, and just kept on going then left for the weekend. Our building manager went down there Monday morning and found a ruptured insulation lining on a tank and a pile of asbestos on the floor. I know all this because I was the one who pulled the security camera footage to figure out what in the hell happened.

Turns out, the response from the California state government when you call them up and tell them a big ol' pile of asbestos has been sitting out in the open for at least two and a half days is uh... well it's something. :v:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

C.M. Kruger posted:

Get your hands on a bunch of fentanyl/carfentanil and then dump it in a municipal water pumping station or the HVAC system to a convention hall or something.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_hostage_crisis_chemical_agent

Or that goon who superdosed themselves with a darknet special delivery and got stuck in their bedroom in a near-coma, with a helpful housemate closing the door for privacy.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

jackhunter64 posted:

Or that goon who superdosed themselves with a darknet special delivery and got stuck in their bedroom in a near-coma, with a helpful housemate closing the door for privacy.

well that sounds bad

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I know opiates suppress breathing. Can you survive if you breathe manually for the entire duration?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

I know opiates suppress breathing. Can you survive if you breathe manually for the entire duration?

Usually if it’s enough to depress breathing that badly, you’re unconscious first.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

jackhunter64 posted:

Here's the text of that story. Not sure if it's the original poster or not.

sea of losers posted:

So I won't go into detail but a while ago I ended up obtaining a few mg of the king of all opioids, pure Carfentanil off I'm sure you know where.
Obviously knowing how dangerous this drug is I attempted to be careful about handling it once it arrived, although as I soon discovered, I wasn't careful enough.
It arrived early one morning and I was quite amazed it made it to Australia, as we are supposed to have the strictest border security in the world. I was very excited as the amount I had ordered would surely satisfy my opioid cravings for many lifetimes. I immediately went to my local pharmacy and purchased latex gloves and a needle-less syringe. I got dressed in long pants and a long sleeved hoodie, put on my hairnet and glasses, tied multiple scarfs and bandanas around my face and you know essentially got into my ghetto breaking bad attire.
I very carefully opened the letter and pulled out the bag, nearly shaking with excitement and anxiety. I measured out 10mg and diluted it into 1l of water, which should in theory give me 10ug's per ml of water. I closed up the bottle and put everything away and went to sort out my morning activities before I was going to test it.
About 30 minutes later (before trying it!) I was in a conversation with my landlord when I realised I felt sick and was noticeably having multiple heart palpitations. I excused myself and walked back to my apartment, feeling quite faint. I sat down for a minute evaluating what the gently caress had happened. How did I manage to do this? Was my makeshift hazmat suit not enough to shield me from this stuff? I collapsed onto my bed.
I lay there realising I had nearly lost the ability to move. My heart was beating extremely slow (40-50bpm in a dude with a normal pulse of 100), it felt like it was going to fail any minute. It was a struggle to breathe, I had to remind myself every 30 seconds or so to do it while I was desperately fighting the extremely intense nod. I could finally see why they sedate elephants with this poo poo, this wasn't heroin, I was completely paralysed.
I lay there for about 4 hours without even being able to lift my head in a state of panicked tranquility. It felt amazing but I knew if I passed out I would surely stop breathing and the intense slow heart rate and skipped beats made my chest very very uncomfortable. I wanted to call an ambulance but I legitimately couldn't move my arms. poo poo, I could barely breathe.
It was about this time my friend entered the room as I had left the door open in hopes someone would find me in case I legitimately overdosed. He tried talking to me but all I could manage to say was a mumble about how sick I felt. He knew I had ordered this stuff but he had no idea what it was so I think he just assumed I was tripping balls. He just said I'll close your door so no one steals your poo poo and left. Great, now no chance of rescue.
Another few hours went by when I finally gained control of my neck muscles and managed to prop my head against the wall. It continued on like this for nearly 8 more hours, slowly regaining control of my body until I could sit up and move around. I couldn't stand up at all without becoming extremely dizzy and collapsing back onto my bed so I kinda just leaned over the side of it waiting to throw up but it never ended up happening.
It legitimately took about a day before I regained my full motor skills and 3 days before my heart rate was back to normal. Its been a month now and the bottle of solution is still in my fridge, having never been tried as I know all I need to do to dose myself is simply breathe near it.
On the bright side this has put me off opiates for a while. But seriously guys, I'm sure you know this but don't go near Carfentanil without a barrel of Narcan and a legitimate loving spacesuit on. Only elephants can have fun with this stuff.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Mr. Fix It posted:

It's especially dangerous for that poster to mess around with opiates since, based on their resting heart rate of 100 bpm, he or she is likely a small dog.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

*KLAANNG*

hmm..?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Blindeye posted:

The good stuff is short-lived. Iodine 131, Tech-99, and other short-lived isotopes...except they're in small quantities and have half-lives counted in days. You have to accumulate all the material at the same time and deploy it at the same time.

Me, mainlining 99mTc. I had to have cardiac imaging before a surgery.

The tech reminded me not to go through TSA at the airport for a few hours.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Mr. Fix It posted:

imagine if someone at customs had found it and opened it. yikes

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Me, mainlining 99mTc. I had to have cardiac imaging before a surgery.

The tech reminded me not to go through TSA at the airport for a few hours.

They can give you a card that says you are emitting safe levels of radiation. I still have mine and it's pretty rad.

:dadjoke:

e:
https://twitter.com/wurp/status/1144288306022277120?s=20

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

They can give you a card that says you are emitting safe levels of radiation. I still have mine and it's pretty rad.

e:
https://twitter.com/wurp/status/1144288306022277120?s=20

I feel completely reassured that you can transport a nuke through airport security, as long as you have a small, printed card with you.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Ooof, that's terrible.

I remember playing "rad" in Scrabble when I was like 10 staying at my buddy's house. They looked it up, and it was an accepted short form of radiation. I was feeling so dumb for playing that word.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

No, that poster is just quoting someone. drugs.txt is like the idiots in social media thread where everyone quotes dumb drug stories, mostly without attribution.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Shut up Meg posted:

I feel completely reassured that you can transport a nuke through airport security, as long as you have a small, printed card with you.

I read somewhere that you can get cards saying that you are working for a prop department on a movie that will let you drive around with truckloads of "weapons" and "bomb" and other scary looking stuff*.

Seems like an easy way to get cover for something terrible.

*obviously props and not functioning

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Uthor posted:

I read somewhere that you can get cards saying that you are working for a prop department on a movie that will let you drive around with truckloads of "weapons" and "bomb" and other scary looking stuff*.

Reminds me of an interview I saw with a band who were saying that it's hard to tour overseas because their stage props include shields, spears, and human bones.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Uthor posted:

I went through airport security once with a guy who got flagged by the explosives skin swab. They asked what he had been doing and he answered "Blowing poo poo up."

That was apparently a fine and reasonable answer and we were waved through.

Kryostic
Mar 25, 2016

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I went through airport security once with a guy who got flagged by the explosives skin swab. They asked what he had been doing and he answered "Blowing poo poo up."

That was apparently a fine and reasonable answer and we were waved through.

Christ is that what they did to me when I went overseas once?
I can't see without my glasses and while my luggage was being scanned I was pulled to the side and they wiped what looked like mini coffee filters on my hands. They said I was good but they had taken me so far from my luggage (and glasses) that I couldn't tell where the hell anything was.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

prob why Mayhem has to get their severed pig's heads where they play since they can't bring them as carry-on

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I got swabbed once because the TSA guys spotted my Casio watch

MattO posted:

prob why Mayhem has to get their severed pig's heads where they play since they can't bring them as carry-on

Good for them, local sourcing is responsible and eco-friendly

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

whoops (no fatalities)

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1225084031244668928

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

https://youtu.be/3m5qxZm_JqM

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kryostic posted:

Christ is that what they did to me when I went overseas once?
I can't see without my glasses and while my luggage was being scanned I was pulled to the side and they wiped what looked like mini coffee filters on my hands. They said I was good but they had taken me so far from my luggage (and glasses) that I couldn't tell where the hell anything was.

Yeah that's what that was

:hmmyes:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

I knew what this was before I clicked. Still watched the whole thing again.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
First time traveling international I brought chocolates back with me from Germany. At customs the questionnaire asked if I had any milk products, and to be on the safe side I answered 'yes', when we landed I got passed up through like four security desks while people are trying to figure out if chocolate is considered a milk product until the last guy who took one look at me and my chocolates and told me to just go.

Customs security is funny

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Flew back from Poland right after the shoe bomber incident. We weren't allowed any carry ons, not even things we purchased at the shops after the security screening. It was a very long 12 flight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Uthor posted:

one time I was striking an event in Las Vegas at about 3 in the morning. I had to drive a 40’ boom lift out one exit of the venue, onto a public road, and back into another exit, due to there being too much gear scattered around to safely just drive it across the venue. for some reason I didn’t have a spotter with me (definitely a mistake) but the streets around the venue were well-lit and deserted (in case you’ve never driven a boom lift before, the visibility from the basket is excellent and it’s basically impossible to run over stuff unless you’re doing something really technical or in close-quarters). around the first corner, hugging the parking lane, I was stopped by LVPD. the conversation went something like this:

“hey you! what the hell are you doing on that thing on a public street at 3am!?”
“I’m just striking the event inside and need to pull around to the NE exit to get back into the venue...”
“....okay... but how do I know that?”
“...good point. that’s a good point.”

I radio’d to my lead to come out and help explain. when he saw I had a radio, and it worked, he just said “have a good night” and drove off. a radio and a high-vis really will get you basically anywhere

snugglz fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 5, 2020