Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

anyone onboard a cruise ship knows what they signed up for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn0WdJx-Wkw

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

People get a bad cold and say they have the flu and that you should just shrug it off and go to work. They've probably never had the flu in their lives. Ask people: did it feel like you could have died? No? Then you didn't have the flu.

I had it one time; I was laid out on my couch with a 100+ fever for 4 days. As a twenty five year old non smoker, non drinker.
Yeah I legit thought I might die last time I got it. I was taking meds that lower my immune system though

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

A Chinese man who tested positive for coronavirus fell sick on a family vacation to Mexico before he flew back to Los Angeles, according to a report.

The 38-year-old man, who was only identified as Q.L., traveled Jan. 20 to Mexico City on a Delta Airlines flight from Los Angeles, the Mexican newspaper Milenio reported.

Upon arrival, the man took an Uber to the Hotel Hilton Mexico City Reforma, where he was staying with his family, according to the report.

The next day, they had breakfast in the hotel before roaming around the city’s tourist sights, the report said.

The group walked about a mile to the Catedral Metropolitana, went to a museum and ate tacos at a local restaurant, the outlet reported.

Later that evening, he began to feel ill and the next day took an Uber back to the airport, where he flew back with his family on an American Airlines flight to LA, the report said.

American Airlines confirmed that a passenger from the flight received medical attention upon arrival and was transported to a local medical center for “precautionary reasons.”

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Xaris posted:

how have you never had the flu before?

like going to public elementary schools, community college, and uc d i had pretty muhc gotten the flu at least once every 3 years and i'm pretty germophobic with washing
That's why. Your obsessive cleanliness has made your immune system lazy beyond belief, leaving you vulnerable to diseases regular people scoff at.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

cspam has been compromised, retreat to the backup quarantine zone

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

GABA ghoul posted:

What I'm wondering about is what is the virus getting out of all of this? Why is it doing this? Money? Power? Lust for death?

IT WAS A PERFECT PHONE CALL!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

computer, show me what a solid one-pound mass of coronavirus looks like

additionally, tell me whether or not I can slice it and pan-fry or grill it somehow

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Dumb Lowtax posted:

My wife who reads Chinese forums just said some infected guy lied about having visited Wuhan, returned home (Jinjiang) and shared cups drinking with people at a dinner of 3000 (!!), and then did it again at a wedding of 1000 before finally getting caught. They're all in quarantine. The dumbass will have several digit kill count when it's all done. Wonder if they'll let him live it down.

gotta hit that baijiu

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Victory Position posted:

computer, show me what a solid one-pound mass of coronavirus looks like

additionally, tell me whether or not I can slice it and pan-fry or grill it somehow

i think it would be more of a stock

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Xaris posted:

like going to public elementary schools, community college, and uc d i had pretty muhc gotten the flu at least once every 3 years and i'm pretty germophobic with washing

I think I've had the flu once. Though that was probably H1N1 when that was doing the rounds. It was miserable.

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

Xaris posted:

I grew up in fairly remote part of Australia and then managed to avoid office jobs until recently.

Great to be part of the system now, run down and sick, the true way to be.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1224993827175436290

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Home, they'll never find me there!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Home, they'll never find me there!
Definitive confirmation that the virus erodes your higher brain functions.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I had flu once when I was seven years old. I was an otherwise healthy child but it nearly killed me. Flu bad!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I got flu when i was a kid and I have vague memories of hallucinations. I was sitting on the sofa with a fever and filled with medication and there was this dancing red thing swimming around the room.

Might be a false memory though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Relax everyone, the virus is under control now.

https://i.imgur.com/wAXBlr1.mp4

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

*kramers in* aha! just another SARS! hey remember SARS? great big ol' nothinburger.. lmao media!! just suck it up and enjoy a few sick days n00bs

people keep saying that this is twice as deadly as sars but i remember sars not doing poo poo so i ahve no idea if thats supposed to be bad

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

Relax everyone, the virus is under control now.

https://i.imgur.com/wAXBlr1.mp4

i have a hard time believing that spraying them like that is doing anything.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Farm Frenzy posted:

people keep saying that this is twice as deadly as sars but i remember sars not doing poo poo so i ahve no idea if thats supposed to be bad

outside of china like 2 people have died, maybe even less than that

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

so far it actually seems to be significantly less deadly than sars, but significantly more contagious, so fewer people are dying as a proportion of people who get it, but more people are dying overall because way more people have the disease

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

another study on transmission coupled with symptom severity:

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1224755583200497671

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
One of the original eight "rumormonger" doctors is in the ICU

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/03/asia/coronavirus-doctor-whistle-blower-intl-hnk/index.html

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

CODChimera posted:

outside of china like 2 people have died, maybe even less than that

vyelkin posted:

so far it actually seems to be significantly less deadly than sars, but significantly more contagious, so fewer people are dying as a proportion of people who get it, but more people are dying overall because way more people have the disease

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

It's making them more flammable.

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

SKULL.GIF posted:

My favorite part of this thread is the people prancing in to go "RELAX! It's just a flu."

Yeah it's only gonna kill cute babies and grandmas and bring essential services to a halt as everyone else is too sick to get to work or in quarantine. Nbd.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Crusader posted:

a couple other tweets from that thread worth sharing:

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1224756202346815488

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1224757552975618051

so basically a lot of people get it as nothing more than a few mild cold symptoms and that's not enough for them to take a sick day or to recognize that what they have might be coronavirus, so they go to work symptomatic and infect others, most of whom also only get it as a mild cold, but when that inevitably reaches an elderly person or a person with an underlying conditions they can get severely ill and even die

this would probably suggest that this thread's speculation about cases in China being way under-reported, but therefore also the death rate in China being significantly lower than 2% overall, may be true

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

vyelkin posted:

so basically a lot of people get it as nothing more than a few mild cold symptoms and that's not enough for them to take a sick day or to recognize that what they have might be coronavirus, so they go to work symptomatic and infect others, most of whom also only get it as a mild cold, but when that inevitably reaches an elderly person or a person with an underlying conditions they can get severely ill and even die

this would probably suggest that this thread's speculation about cases in China being way under-reported, but therefore also the death rate in China being significantly lower than 2% overall, may be true

Would this mean that those who only show mild symptoms (such as the person going to work with a sore throat in your example) would not develop severe symptoms? Like, for them it'll only ever be a sore throat and a runny nose?

Edit: To clarify, I'm not quite understanding the conclusion of your post; that, based on the idea that people can transmit the wuflu if they just have a sore throat, that there are likely to be many people who have flu-like symptoms, actually have the wuflu, don't know it, but it will never progress to a serious enough state that they'll self-quarantine or be admitted into hospital?

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Feb 5, 2020

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Would this mean that those who only show mild symptoms (such as the person going to work with a sore throat in your example) would not develop severe symptoms? Like, for them it'll only ever be a sore throat and a runny nose?

Edit: To clarify, I'm not quite understanding the conclusion of your post; that, based on the idea that people can transmit the wuflu if they just have a sore throat, that there are likely to be many people who have flu-like symptoms, actually have the wuflu, don't know it, but it will never progress to a serious enough state that they'll self-quarantine or be admitted into hospital?

For the first part of your post, I think no. Having mild symptoms at first doesn't guarantee you won't develop more severe symptoms later on. But so far it does seem to be that a lot of cases don't progress past that point--but being at that point doesn't guarantee it won't get worse. (A lot of the stories of coronavirus patients outside China, for example, are basically 'someone came back from Wuhan, got symptomatic a few days later, quarantined at home, tested positive, and recovered after a few days of cold symptoms').

To your edit, I think the tweet thread was talking about two different things. One is that there are a lot of mild cases (and apparently especially among younger, healthier people), which is good. The other is that a lot of people with mild cases won't even realize they have something worse than the common cold, which means they won't stay home from work, which means they infect more people, and that means that in the aggregate you end up with more severe cases, whether because some people with mild symptoms get worse over time or because some of the people infected by those with mild symptoms go straight to severe symptoms.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Turns out that baby born in China might have actually been born with the virus which is insane.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Farm Frenzy posted:

SARS had a 10% kill rate but didn't really spread very much. I don't know where the "twice as deadly" is coming from, this has an about 2% mortality rate (from confirmed cases, which is important as it seems mild cases are just being ridden out at home). It's infected a bit more than three times as many people now, officially, as SARS did in its entire run though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hemale in pain posted:

It does make it look like something is being done

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Good interview with an ICU doc

https://twitter.com/Nectar_Gan/status/1225006240234758146?s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

RELAX,

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

SARS had a 10% kill rate but didn't really spread very much. I don't know where the "twice as deadly" is coming from, this has an about 2% mortality rate (from confirmed cases, which is important as it seems mild cases are just being ridden out at home). It's infected a bit more than three times as many people now, officially, as SARS did in its entire run though.
i mean deadly as in terms of total number of people killed and not infection rate vs kill rate & i was thinking of all the extremely horny posts you made like three pages ago

SKULL.GIF posted:

Wuhan Coronavirus is going to beat out SARS in 1 month, and that's with the first 3 weeks being really quiet and it only really taking off in the past week or so. SARS took like 8 months to run its course.

SKULL.GIF posted:

not by *rate* but it's probable that it matches it by actual total count.

nCoV is like waaaay more infectious than SARS, it's actually remarkable. In all my life I'm having trouble thinking of a comparable virus that's had this amount of infectiousness.

SKULL.GIF posted:

:siren: WUHAN CORONAVIRUS HAS OFFICIALLY PASSED SARS :siren:

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010

vyelkin posted:

It's possible, but 14 days is the maximum incubation period of the disease that we know of based on both observing current patients and theorizing based on the disease structure. So if someone still isn't showing symptoms after 14 days, they're likely either not infected or entirely asymptomatic. Also worth mentioning that although it appears there is asymptomatic transmission, it seems to be less than we thought at first--a few of the cases that were thought to be asymptomatic, it turned out the person was showing symptoms and just didn't notice or ignored them, like the lady in Germany who it turned out did have a fever and was taking anti-fever medication for it when she gave that presentation and infected the German nationals. And in at least one of their briefings one of the WHO doctors said they think that while the disease is still contagious before symptoms present, it's less contagious during asymptomatic incubation than it is once symptoms start and the patient is coughing and sneezing everywhere.

The Oldest Man posted:

BattleMaster posted:

flu (actual flu, not just colds which some people mistake for flu) loving sucks even when you're healthy, and kill lots of people.

I wish people treated flu seriously instead of shrugging and putting their unwashed hands in their mouths

People get a bad cold and say they have the flu and that you should just shrug it off and go to work. They've probably never had the flu in their lives. Ask people: did it feel like you could have died? No? Then you didn't have the flu.

I had it one time; I was laid out on my couch with a 100+ fever for 4 days. As a twenty five year old non smoker, non drinker.

Well tbh it really depends. Like it says here, most unvaccinated people infected with an influenza virus don't show any symptoms, and of those that do show symptoms most cases are mild enough that they don't see a doctor (and this is in the UK, where seeing a doctor is free). What distinguishes the common cold from the flu when we're talking about things colloquially is really just severity. A cold is a mild viral respiratory tract infection and the flu is a more severe viral respiratory tract infection. About 20% of cases of the 'common cold' are caused by coronavirus, and 10-15% are caused by influenza, for example. I'm saying this as someone who's nearly died from viral respiratory tract infections about twice now. Unless you go to a hospital and they do an antibody test for rhinovirus vs adenovirus vs influenza vs coronavirus (which would only happen if you're severely ill or there's a pandemic situation going on and you're deemed to be at risk) you're not going to know what particular virus is causing the respiratory tract infection.

So someone could be walking around with a mild fever and a bit of a cough and get better after a week after unknowingly exposing everyone else in the office to influenza while they powered through it just fine on paracetamol/tylenol and caffeine. Or someone could have a runny nose and a sore throat for a few days and think they have a cold before whatever virus they're infected with migrates down into their lungs and they spend the next week bed-bound with fever wracked with joint aches convinced they have the flu.

Anyway that chinese woman who had been "asymptomatic" but not really is really pretty par for the course, is part of what I'm getting at. If you have symptoms of a mild respiratory infection, all you know is that you have a mild respiratory infection. The majority of people in that situation would just take some painkillers and some coffee go to work. Not everyone who has this new coronavirus is going to have severe symptoms, or a rapid onset of severe symptoms at least, and unless they have reason to think that they might be at risk for coronavirus, then they won't think twice about it. Some people, like that guy who exposed 3000-4000 people to the coronavirus by going to a wedding, just won't give a poo poo even if they do know they're a risk because they feel fine and they care more about their own convenience.

EDIT:

This is exactly what I mean.

Crusader posted:

vyelkin posted:

a couple other tweets from that thread worth sharing:

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1224756202346815488

https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1224757552975618051

A Spherical Sponge fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 5, 2020

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
those aren't horny posts. those are like, flabbergasted and amazed and hiding worry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Admiral Ray posted:

those aren't horny posts. those are like, flabbergasted and amazed and hiding worry

thats how i feel when i cum