Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

dont touch the harrowing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Baiting a Rhasa is so drat satisfying. So is winning with Ledros halving 1 into 0

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
This is the deck I made with the weekly allowance of champ cards I got. It's fun and good.
https://decksofruneterra.com/decks/S0-zvEng

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Which deck should I build if I'm loving stupid but I want to hit people and win.

Less stupid question, does anyone know a good Crimson decks with Vlad? That looks fun.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Less stupid question, does anyone know a good Crimson decks with Vlad? That looks fun.

https://decksofruneterra.com/decks/D6-mhcRc
I'm x2 epics away from this one, but looks real good.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Firstborn posted:

Wonderful. Thank you!

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

George H.W. oval office posted:

Baiting a Rhasa is so drat satisfying. So is winning with Ledros halving 1 into 0
More satisfying: beating Elusive aggro that is so sure he has the win locked up and spams Shen emote at me. Won with 2 Nexus HP. Jinx don't give a gently caress, man.

Firstborn posted:

This looks neat-ish? I was looking at Vlad/Braum for obvious synergies and the guys who buff on taking damage but this is maybe better? I have no idea. I wanna build Vlad, I just have 0 copies on either account and he seems like Yasuo where you either all-in on building around him or don't bother including him at all.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

guts and bolts posted:

I feel like Obliterate will stay in Freljord; P&Z honestly just need more burn spells or cheap burst one-turn buffs. Ezreal is already really good, and I think Jinx is playable; Heimerdinger is a mystery to me but I actually have the sneaking suspicion he's really good. Teemo is the only P&Z Champion who needs a lot of help, and since design seems to stem from Champion identity, that's where I think the buffs are likely to come in a patch or expansion.

There's a Heimer deck. Heimer Control, 35 spells, 1-2 creatures, 3-4 champs (I run a Karma instead of Corina)
CEBAGAICAIXDCBYBAQARAGZHGQ4DSAQBAEBDMAYBAQOB6MICAEAQIMABAEBCS

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Studio posted:

There's a Heimer deck. Heimer Control, 35 spells, 1-2 creatures, 3-4 champs (I run a Karma instead of Corina)

I actually decked myself with the Heimer control deck after playing two Corina and two Progress day. Whoops!

Still, really love this deck. Glad i built it with my vault-time to grind some ranked.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I played against someone in the normal queue who had one heimerdinger in their heimer deck. I was not queueing a good deck so I got to see him draw to 1 with no heimer played.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've never spent a single dime of my actual money on any F2P game ever before in my life, but I've already spent $30 on this. Seriously I played Hearthstone, Eternal, tons of F2P MMOs, Auto Chess, phone games, all of that, was never even tempted. This morning I was happy it was Tuesday because I knew I could get more wildcards today. What the gently caress have they done?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Imagined posted:

I've never spent a single dime of my actual money on any F2P game ever before in my life, but I've already spent $30 on this. Seriously I played Hearthstone, Eternal, tons of F2P MMOs, Auto Chess, phone games, all of that, was never even tempted. This morning I was happy it was Tuesday because I knew I could get more wildcards today. What the gently caress have they done?

Turns out if you make a good game with an insanely player-friendly economy, people like playing it and spending money.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Imagined posted:

This is why I think that regardless of what they say, the business model is selling their Champions - the strength of their IP. People will buy $20 of Runeterrabux if it means they can start being Yasuo right away. Especially as the game catches on (more? no idea how popular it is) and they add more fan favorites like Akali or Ahri or Miss Fortune or Lee Sin, this will only continue to go up. Early adopters like those in thread are just trying to fill collections, so I don't know if anyone's just buying heroes they like from League of Legends, but my siblings sure did, and I think it's a license to print money.

Studio posted:

Sweet, thanks. I'm doing a variation of Ezreal Freljord right now to test it out, and it is frustratingly hard for me to get it to fire reliably, but when it does, lol. Whumps->Whumps->Flash Freeze->Brittle Steel->Brittle Steel->Mystic Shot was the piece de resistance :discourse:

Literally won from 14 to 0 at 2 Nexus HP. Guy's board was swole as gently caress. Had to be a heartbreaker. The killer of that deck is that you don't know you're dead until you see leveled Ezreal and a hand with like 9 cards in it across the table, and by then it's probably too late? Then again you could have my luck and draw into all 3 Progress Day!s by turn 5 and still don't see Ezreal in your first 28 cards, so

e:
sweet sassy molassey my weekly vault is already almost level 8, I think that's enough card game today

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 5, 2020

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

1stGear posted:

Turns out if you make a good game with an insanely player-friendly economy, people like playing it and spending money.

I think what it is is that feels fair. I give them money and know exactly what I'm going to get. Gambling in real life makes me literally ill. I hate spending money and feeling like I got nothing for it. Also, because the weekly limit is $15, I don't feel like 'the whales are always going to outspend me by a factor of 50 so why bother?' If I spent $15 in Eternal and got jack poo poo but some cards I could shard, I'd feel like a chump.

I never played League though so personally wanting champions isn't a factor. I built one good deck for free, wanted to try something else so I paid money, then did the same thing again this week, because I knew with absolute certainty that if I spent a few bucks, I'd have the exact deck I wanted.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 5, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing the game teaches me, repeatedly, despite not learning it over and over, is that I really need to slow down and make sure I'm not making misplays, a single misplay can change the entire outcome of the game and missed lethal by 1 HP can let the other guy stabilize into a win, it's not quite as braindead as hearthstone where you just throw out all your mana and attack between bouts of seeing if the RNG favors you or the other guy.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Imagined posted:

I think what it is is that feels fair. I give them money and know exactly what I'm going to get. Gambling in real life makes me literally ill. I hate spending money and feeling like I got nothing for it. Also, because the weekly limit is $15, I don't feel like 'the whales are always going to outspend me by a factor of 50 so why bother?' If I spent $15 in Eternal and got jack poo poo but some cards I could shard, I'd feel like a chump.

I never played League though so personally wanting champions isn't a factor. I built one good deck for free, wanted to try something else so I paid money, then did the same thing again this week, because I knew with absolute certainty that if I spent a few bucks, I'd have the exact deck I wanted.
It's a much easier sell for both types of potential customer - if you just want to fill your collection/field a competitive deck or you have a favorite fight mans from the other video game, it's waaaaay easier to get someone to fork over $20 if they're assured they'll get exactly that. My favorite League of Legends hero is Ezreal and I've been playing him since, like, middle school, back when he was the first hero in the game who cost 6300 IP. I didn't go after acquiring Ezreal first in LoR, but I like having 3 copies now, that's for sure, and if I didn't get lucky with drafts and pulls I probably would've shelled out more cash to get him. I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't trying to find a deck that features him that clicks with me. If my only option for the cash shop was "buy these packs that have a 1/160,000 chance of containing Ezreal" I would never loving bother. I bounced off of Hearthstone really hard for that reason, and it's part of why I got out of Magic and started playing FFG's card games (where there is no blind buy).

Instead of getting a smaller portion of the userbase to spend a gorillion dollars, the model seems to be trying to get a lot of the userbase to spend a little money, and even though you're still paying real dollars for a digital card, it feels like good value because the alternatives in other games are shockingly bad. Pitching my brothers and my girlfriend on LoR was pretty easy after they figured out that yeah, if you want Ashe, you just buy Ashe. That's it.

e:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One thing the game teaches me, repeatedly, despite not learning it over and over, is that I really need to slow down and make sure I'm not making misplays, a single misplay can change the entire outcome of the game and missed lethal by 1 HP can let the other guy stabilize into a win, it's not quite as braindead as hearthstone where you just throw out all your mana and attack between bouts of seeing if the RNG favors you or the other guy.
Because the board state can change so radically on every play - there are so many effective units, tons of them have ETBs, tons of them have game-altering effects, most spells are pretty impactful - what LoR punishes super hard is committing to a plan in your head and queuing up to do that even after the opponent has played something. Obviously don't rope a guy every single turn, but definitely stop and take stock of what changed before you lock in your actions for a turn. Yasuodeck and discard aggro have been super useful to play while climbing because you can't just put dudes down and turn them sideways, you gotta think poo poo through.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 5, 2020

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

guts and bolts posted:

Literally won from 14 to 0 at 2 Nexus HP. Guy's board was swole as gently caress. Had to be a heartbreaker. The killer of that deck is that you don't know you're dead until you see leveled Ezreal and a hand with like 9 cards in it across the table, and by then it's probably too late? Then again you could have my luck and draw into all 3 Progress Day!s by turn 5 and still don't see Ezreal in your first 28 cards, so

I won my game 7 of an expedition mushrooming an opponents deck, getting them to 3 hp, and having them draw 1 puffcap off of Ashe's Crystal Arrow to die to my last mystic shot.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I lost my 7th expedition because I used the 3 health elusive instead of the 4 health one I had in my hand, then it got "3 or below gets frozen" :negative:

After I already missed lethal because I didn't add in my 2 attack soulkeeper because I thought the board would of been full of ephemeral enemies from zed and hecarim :negative:

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 5, 2020

Hauki
May 11, 2010

on the draw in expeditions, dropped 10 power by turn 2 and swung in, another 9-11? power on board by my second attack and my opponent just scooped immediately :getin:

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Is there any reward benefit to playing ranked over regular? And I’m not including game knowledge as a reward

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Nigulus Rex posted:

Is there any reward benefit to playing ranked over regular? And I’m not including game knowledge as a reward

There will probably be at the very least cosmetic rewards based on your rank at the end of whatever they seem a season

At the moment there is no incentive

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I mean Ledros could just lose any one of his gimmicks (either it doesn't kill at one nexus health, he's not fearsome, or he doesn't last breath) and he'd probably be perfectly fine. As is he's just too strong in a region that has too good of an early game to have that good of a late game.

Make black spear deal 2 damage OR cost 3 mana and SI is mostly fixed, though. I think that's the card that's single-handedly making a ton of champions (and therefore entire decks) impossible to play. I've gotten used to playing around deny mana, I think 3 mana is a fair gate for gently caress-you spells. 2 mana is too low.

e: Also didn't they nerf Kinkou Lifestealer? That might be why Elusive is losing steam, the card was very important to elusive decks.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I need to stop being a coward about expeditions at some point I think. Got 2 tokens but don't really want to spend them until I feel like I have a better handle on the game. Feel too certain I'll just get a couple wins and not have it be worth it.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Zerilan posted:

I need to stop being a coward about expeditions at some point I think. Got 2 tokens but don't really want to spend them until I feel like I have a better handle on the game. Feel too certain I'll just get a couple wins and not have it be worth it.
You get a free Champion regardless. Just do it! It'll be fine.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just completed my first expedition and I got 7 wins in the second trial, it was an absolute rollercoaster of emotions because I started losing and winning games alternatively since the third match until the end. I picked 3 Fioras and in hindsight she's kind of a trap option, too unreliable, only triggered her autowin power 3 times, and I'm sure I would habe won those matches anyway. In the end what carried me was quality minions and combat tricks.

I really like how generous the rewards are for expeditions, and the game in general, compared to other tcgs.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I do wish the minimum reward for Expedition was a champion wildcard instead of a random champion. For 3,000 shards I can either craft exactly the one I want or do a little dance and then roll the dice.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Imagined posted:

I do wish the minimum reward for Expedition was a champion wildcard instead of a random champion. For 3,000 shards I can either craft exactly the one I want or do a little dance and then roll the dice.

Yeah but that champion capsule though,

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Buller posted:

Yeah but that champion capsule though,

I never win enough. :saddowns:

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Imagined posted:

I think it's this also, I whale all the time on stuff cause I'm dumb, but spending money on hearthstone/eternal doesn't feel good at all. Even if if I spend enough to get a full playset it just feels way too expensive and frustrating the entire time I'm opening packs for tiny amounts of dust, or I feel "forced" to spend my money playing endless Arena/Draft modes that I don't particularly enjoy because it's a more efficient use of my money than straight up buying packs. Spending money on Runeterra felt great in comparison, I wanted to try a deck with some champs, I bought those champs and tried the deck. In comparison to do the same in Hearthstone or Eternal I have to either have a full playset already, or spend an absolute asston of money getting most of a playset before I guarantee that I can craft the deck I want.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yesterday I had an amazing game where my opponent's Fiora was at 3/4 so I couldn't play any small followers. I managed to get two big guys into play (elusive and overwhelm) and swung for enough damage over two turns, even after Fiora's lifesteal. Game's good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Two weeks in, $20 spent on champion wildcards, $3 spent on expedition, I have 40 champion cards with 14k shards + 3 champion WCs.

Progression will slow for me a bit (I got all factions to level 8 to start with) but jeez. Two expeditions per week for the next few weeks + dailies and I'll have the whole set. Buying more WCs at this point seems pointless (ok I do want Karma and Ezrael ASAP)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 5, 2020

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I went 1/2 in my last Trial, but I drafted 8 Reckless Trifarians and it felt extremely funny and 100% worth it.

I lost to a dude that played a bunch of Poros with the 2/3 dude that 1 cost units. He then played the card that clones a follower and was playing 1 mana 5/5s.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
So there's no option to add someone as a friend in-game? I mean I get it given League's notorious community, but I wanted to message a guy named Captain Crash I just played just to tell him he had a cool loving Lux deck. Among the endless spiders and elusives there are some really cool loving decks coming out.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Saw this on reddit. Correct play

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Swim’s Ashe spam deck is super fun when it goes off. It’s peak no fun allowed because you have so many sources of frostbite the enemies board can’t do anything. Even if you get board wiped, you can practically fill it back up with a 2 card combo.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I love that even if your opponent is attacking you with 6 identical creatures, and you only have one blocker, it can mean the difference between winning and losing the game which one you choose to block just because of the left->right mechanic. Such a good and satisfying skill ceiling in this game. For example, if your blocker has lifesteal.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

If an overwhelm attacker would kill a player but the blocker has lifesteal does the player lose?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Chernabog posted:

If an overwhelm attacker would kill a player but the blocker has lifesteal does the player lose?

Depends on positioning!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chernabog posted:

No, damage + lifesteal are processed simultaneously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

No Wave posted:

Two weeks in, $20 spent on champion wildcards, $3 spent on expedition, I have 40 champion cards with 14k shards + 3 champion WCs.

Progression will slow for me a bit (I got all factions to level 8 to start with) but jeez. Two expeditions per week for the next few weeks + dailies and I'll have the whole set. Buying more WCs at this point seems pointless (ok I do want Karma and Ezrael ASAP)
I have 37 Champion cards but I still have enough shards to get 3 more, and I have 4 Champion wildcards in my inventory, but now I'm trying to be more judicious about who to buy. I almost impulse-bought Vladimir, but I also want Karma, and I also want Heimerdinger, so instead I bought nobody. :( I'm almost done with the P&Z reward track though - just have the Diamond Chest to go.