Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

RC and Moon Pie posted:

My folks were gifted a copy of a cassette of a 1980s comedian. He was a Crank Yankers type of guy that'd call up random businesses to rile them up.

The bits all flow together now, but one dealt with him calling up a business that supposedly sold him a pair of boots. He described what was wrong with the boots and wanted them replaced.

Another bit saw the guy on the other end not be docile and threatened to kick the caller's rear end. The part I remember is that the caller threatened to bring his brother along to this fight. The shop owner/worker replied, asking if he needed his brother to hold his hand.

Who was this?

This sounds like Roy D. Mercer to me. How big a boy are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Human Cow posted:

I looked up Roy Mercer. The character was created too late to be my culprit, but the Wiki led me to who it was: John Bean as Leroy Mercer.

The Roy Mercer character borrowed a lot of what had been bean's prank calls. I'm pretty sure this is one of the bits of the unlabeled tape they were given.

NSFW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS1Wqoo_1nM

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I’ve thought about that a lot while playing games over the years, but I can’t remember the name of the game.
There’s a board game like this where it’s not really explained what you’re doing and then you discover the point of the game is to load people efficiently onto trains to Auschwitz.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

There’s a game I’ve been trying to remember for a while.

I don’t know when it came out, but it was I believe before 2010 since I think I played it in college. It was a low budget computer game.

The gameplay was pretty much tower defense from what I remember, but set in space.

The plot of the game, though, basically had you committing atrocities. Like you were part of some space was and these were innocent ships you were destroying or something. You were very clearly the bad guy.

The game was fine from what I remember but the thing that stuck with me was a quote from the developer when he was asked why we couldn’t be a good guy. He basically says you had the option to not be evil any time you wanted; it was your choice to continue playing. Deciding you couldn’t go on doing that stuff was a perfectly valid “ending.”

I’ve thought about that a lot while playing games over the years, but I can’t remember the name of the game.

It could be Immortal Defense by Paul Eres. The story starts with the player being a "ghost" defending his home planet against enemy ships jumping to it through hyperspace, but it gets pretty twisted by the end.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

holy poo poo

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

pram posted:

holy poo poo

My exact reaction when I saw it as a highschool freshman.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

pseudanonymous posted:

There’s a board game like this where it’s not really explained what you’re doing and then you discover the point of the game is to load people efficiently onto trains to Auschwitz.

Train, by Brenda Romero (formerly Brathwaite).

Cassius Belli fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 31, 2020

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Last Visible Dog posted:

It could be Immortal Defense by Paul Eres. The story starts with the player being a "ghost" defending his home planet against enemy ships jumping to it through hyperspace, but it gets pretty twisted by the end.

Yes! Thank you, been looking for this for a while!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

:staredog: x10000

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Yes! Thank you, been looking for this for a while!

Awesome, glad to help!

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

It so totally is. Now to see if I can find somewhere that streams it....

This Channel has some full episodes

https://youtu.be/YHymbHQIP60

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Raspberry Bang posted:

This Channel has some full episodes

https://youtu.be/YHymbHQIP60

OMG! You're a peach!

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

this series of how to draw books I liked when I was a kid. I estimate they had to have come out in the 1980s. They were not Lee J. Ames or Mark Kistler. They were not the kind where a cartoon character or animal is drawn in various stages of completion and you're supposed to follow along. It was more about how to make and elaborate on ideas of what to draw - I think there was a lot about drawing things by adding shapes, but there was no emphasis on an object's actual 3d structure, or making anything realistic. Instead everything had a really simple cartoonish style. No shading. The only specific thing I can recall is a drawing of a big pirate ship. The author recommended that it's easier for your hand to draw a straight vertical line than a good straight horizontal line, therefore when you want to draw long horizontal lines, just turn the paper sideways and draw them vertically. Really wish I could remember more.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Just gotta check first: was it an Ed Emberley book? It looks like his Big Purple Book included a pirate ship:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

The Rage posted:

I’ve asked this poo poo a million times before but Arf Jason’s avatar is from some super surreal college graphic design final project and I cannot find it again on YouTube for the life of me

AFAIK Jason doesn’t know what it’s from anymore either.

I would never forget ben wheele

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

limaCAT posted:

I want to know the name of one song I hate. There is a lady singing and when she says sings one sentence and a guys answer "HAYYY HOOO!". Before the refrain the lady does a musical stair (like the piano exercise when you sing from low octave c to high octave c) with her voice.
I think it's one of those highly vocoded songs.

It used to be on the radio a few years ago (up to 2017) but I really want to know what it was.

It's a version of Jai Ho (not the Millionaire version) and probably it is the Pussicat Dolls version, now that I have could hear it properly maybe it wasn't that bad or irritating like when it used to be on the radio.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Last Visible Dog posted:

Just gotta check first: was it an Ed Emberley book? It looks like his Big Purple Book included a pirate ship:

yep pretty sure that's it. thanks!

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Laslow posted:

A Jeweler’s Monarch of Deflection on Diablo II.

I’ve found every other ridiculously valuable item in that game. A perfect Mara’s Kaleidoscope. Even the Zod rune with such a low drop rate, it’s up there with grand prizes on scratch lotto tickets.

If I found one, I wouldn’t even know what to do with it, to be honest. Probably give it to my brother with 4 lightning facets since he usually rolls a lightning amazon and turn him into an unstoppable ball of electricity. Or just use it on my Sorceress with 4 Ist runes(25% increase to find magical items, for a 100% boost). Which would be like driving a Bentley to your job at Dollar Tree.

Your white whale is to roll one number on a million sided die in order to be awarded something of absolutely no use?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Your white whale is to roll one number on a million sided die in order to be awarded something of absolutely no use?

Nothing searched for in this thread is of any use?

jayzlie
Nov 6, 2002

There was this PC Game back in the mid 90's where you could customize robot fighters and then play 1v1 street fighter style with them. My asian friend back in the day had it at his house and we would play for hours, was a fantastic game for it's time, for the life of me I can't recall what it was called.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

jayzlie posted:

There was this PC Game back in the mid 90's where you could customize robot fighters and then play 1v1 street fighter style with them. My asian friend back in the day had it at his house and we would play for hours, was a fantastic game for it's time, for the life of me I can't recall what it was called.

Super Asian Friend Battles

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Riptor posted:

Super Asian Friend Battles

I was thinking it could be a Super Robot Wars game on an emulator. Gundam Wing had a mech battle game like that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

jayzlie posted:

Surely One Must Fall 2097.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I thought Cyborg Justice but that's a Genesis game.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Horror movie, saw once on HBO or Showtime ~ 5 years ago. Was very high. Never found the name or seen it since. Seemed like it was made recentish (2005 to ~2015) but don't really know.

There's a cabin on a small island in the middle of a lake, couple moves out there. Weird, poltergeist-y poo poo starts happening. Has a "knock once if you're a good spirit, twice if you're an evil spirit"[tense music] KNOCK ...[tense music stops]....... KNOCK!!!! moment and a confrontation with the evil in corporeal form in a crawlspace which was weird?

End is some cliche'd demon/angel battle and the husband rowing away from the house on the lake.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Thank you for introducing me to this!!!

I must find more...

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

The Human Cow posted:

I vaguely remember a Roy D. Mercer call where he claimed his cat's name was "Meow Tse-Tung." I thought that was hilarious. Still do.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

tetsuo posted:

Horror movie, saw once on HBO or Showtime ~ 5 years ago. Was very high. Never found the name or seen it since. Seemed like it was made recentish (2005 to ~2015) but don't really know.

There's a cabin on a small island in the middle of a lake, couple moves out there. Weird, poltergeist-y poo poo starts happening. Has a "knock once if you're a good spirit, twice if you're an evil spirit"[tense music] KNOCK ...[tense music stops]....... KNOCK!!!! moment and a confrontation with the evil in corporeal form in a crawlspace which was weird?

End is some cliche'd demon/angel battle and the husband rowing away from the house on the lake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Woman_in_Black_(2012_film)

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
The movie I'm thinking of was definitely set in more modern times but that looks solid and I'll check it out.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Jerry Cotton posted:

Nothing searched for in this thread is of any use?

Nothing searched for itt is likely to take until the heat death of the universe to find and can actually potentially be found through effort rather than sheer luck.

Related: my white whale is winning the lottery.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Except instead of winning a bunch of money I win a virtual pog.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

gently caress, I found it with some better googlin'. Nevermind, Thanks!

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Feb 4, 2020

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Okay, here's a tough one.

I make music, and have occasionally been called on to do some soundtrack work. Sometime around the mid 2000's decade, I had an artist call on me to make noises for their installation piece. He lived in Utah, and the theme was "downwinders" --- the people who lived in Utah and got cancer most likely because of nuclear testing in Nevada that spread downwind in Utah.

The PC I had at the time is way dead, and I don't have the files anymore. Nor the saved emails. And shamefully I can't remember the artist's name.

If anyone's an artist or runs in those circles in Utah and has a loving clue as to what I'm talking about, please help. Would've been 2005-2009, if my memory serves. The art show made the local news, I used to have a link to y'alls local news station talking about it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I make music, and have occasionally been called on to do some soundtrack work. Sometime around the mid 2000's decade, I had an artist call on me to make noises for their installation piece. He lived in Utah, and the theme was "downwinders" --- the people who lived in Utah and got cancer most likely because of nuclear testing in Nevada that spread downwind in Utah.

The PC I had at the time is way dead, and I don't have the files anymore. Nor the saved emails. And shamefully I can't remember the artist's name.

If anyone's an artist or runs in those circles in Utah and has a loving clue as to what I'm talking about, please help. Would've been 2005-2009, if my memory serves. The art show made the local news, I used to have a link to y'alls local news station talking about it.

that sounds really cool and i hope you can find it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If you find it post it here

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

any idea what part of utah?

edit- hey, this is from a university, is it related: https://lib.utah.edu/services/geospatial/downwinders/presentationvideo.php

hey, would the organizers of the utah arts festival know anything? https://www.uaf.org/ if the fellow was doing shows, it's likely they ran into some folks organizing that, surely.

PHIZ KALIFA fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 5, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Someone made funny edits to the Waltons fan wiki some years ago

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
About Hamhock Walton?

https://thewaltons.fandom.com/wiki/Season_11

Lker
Oct 26, 2010

through google i came across this

the article which focuses on the play Exposed back in 2007, also mentions that there was an art exhibit at the Pickle Company with the same name, Exposed: A Large-Scale Mixed-Media Exhibition Exploring the Legacy of Nuclear Testing in the same time frame. details about the exhibit itself or the Pickle Company is pretty much gone and seems like the building itself was sold and then forgotten. this is the only thing that came up with google, and it has a list of artists who worked on the exhibit. hope that helps

Lker fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I saved a screenshot because I was worried it would be edited into non-existence

I cannot reliably tell you what motivated me but the phrase "feasting on pickled hamhocks" probably had a lot to do with it