Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

extradite THIS! posted:

I don't really agree with either of these. Thought Aalto and Adder had the MOTN, but it's not like it was the best match from either guy.

Valentine vs Shemeikka was nowhere near as good as it should have been, probably because it was apparently only there to set up the angle. Felt to me like the match was going nowhere. Expected much more from them. The visual of Karhula, dressed in all black, suddenly appearing from the shadows to attack Shemeikka while he had the sharpshooter on was a good one, though.

I dunno, to me this was a weak-ish show from FCF. Almost no one felt like they were on their A game, except for Kert Kukk and, rather mysteriously, Petrov, who is normally never on any kind of game. Still an entertaining show and a good time was had in the second row

Well, I do tend to be overly positive about the stuff I see live. (I believe last year's RevPro Summer Sizzler was one of their weakest York Hall shows, but I loved it. Well, except the Bodom/Wilde thing). And yeah, the Shemeikka/Valentine ending wasn't the best (it was pretty much set up to end via some kind of shenenigans) but I guess I'm just easily impressed. And hey, I also happened to be in second row.

It wasn't the best show, although I think I enjoyed it more than Jatkosota. And totally agree with Kukk, he has been awesome lately. Just hope he doesn't end up in a rare "double Jannetty" position, with Nikita set up for a big Jessica match and Nomad set up for being a big boi. And yeah, absolutely bizarrely, out of all the people, PETROV actually had a decent showing! And can speak? I'm still in shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You know what? I'm gonna buck the trend here:

HM: Zack Sabre Jr vs. Will Ospreay, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 02/02

MOTYC: Kazuchika Okada vs. Taichi - NJPW New Beginning in Sapporo 2/2

I bit harder on one particular false finish, two if you count "Okada fought out of a move" and overall just got more into the match. Both were really, really good and I highly recommend 2/2's show for anyone who hasn't seen it. Overall better than 2/1's show, too.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Moxley, Taguchi and RPG3k vs. Suzuki, Douki, Kanemaru and El Desperado - NJPW New Beginning in Sapporo 2/2

Incredibly fun and full of action with a great pre-match and post-match sequence involving Moxley and Suzuki.

MOTYC: ZSJ (C) vs. Will Ospreay for the RevPro British Undisputed Heavyweight Championship - NJPW New Beginning in Sapporo 2/2

Slow start, really surprising heavy grappling focus to begin from Ospreay and then things really picked up and the transitions and the counters and the incredibly smart and well-timed things both wrestlers did to make BOTH of them look fantastic was just an absolute joy to watch. Incredible match.

Jerusalem posted:

HM: Kazuchika Okada vs. Taichi - NJPW New Beginning in Sapporo 2/2

Okada you know exactly what you're going to get (perfection), but Taichi clearly grasped this was potentially the biggest and most important match of his career to date and he loving stepped it up exactly as he needed to.

Nth these, please and tia. ZSJ is my favorite dipshit grapple guy I love him so much.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: Zack Sabre Jr vs. Will Ospreay, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 02/02
HM: Kazuchika Okada vs. Taichi, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 02/02

nth

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Rarity posted:

HM: Kauzchika Okada vs. Taichi, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 02/02

Yeah nth

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Time for an update: January Edition!

MOTY:
  • 19 MOTYCs so far
  • 10 from New Japan, 7 of which were across the two nights of Wrestle Kingdom.
  • AEW and WWE are matched at 4 each, but all of WWE's come from NXT, 3 of them from the Worlds Collide show and 1 from NXT UK's Takeover.
  • AJPW is the sole promotion outside of the normal three dominant ones to get a MOTYC.
  • 5 matches have ALMOST made MOTY status with at least four votes. 2 from New Japan, one from WWE (NXT), and 1 each from DDT and GCW respectively.
  • 10 matches have received more than 1 MOTY vote but less than 4. 2 from New Japan, 2 from TJPW, 2 from GCW, 1 from Gake no Fuchi Pro Wrestling, 1 from NOAH, 1 from NXT, 1 from Stardom.

WMOTY:
  • So far there have only been 3 WMOTYCs.
  • 2 were from WWE's Royal Rumble.
  • 1 was from AEW and shockingly involved AEW Women's Champion Riho.
  • There have been 3 matches that ALMOST made WMOTY status with at least 3 votes. 1 from AEW and 2 from WWE.
  • 1 match has received more than 1 WMOTY vote but less than 3. SHLAK vs. Necro Butcher from ICW No Holds Barred.

Honorable Mentions:
  • 99 matches in total have received at least 1 honorable mention vote in January.
  • Of those, 25 received the 7 votes (or 4 MOTY votes) necessary to make the HM list.
  • The breakdown by promotion of the successful nominations was: New Japan 11 | AEW 5 | WWE 4 (1 from NXT) | Stardom 2 | DDT 1 | GCW 1 | NOAH 1

Nominations still needing votes:

MOTYs with more than 1 vote (in bold are close to the threshold):
01/04 | Yuka Sakazaki (C) vs. Miyu Yamashita for the Princess of Princess Championship - TJPW Tokyo Joshi Pro '20 (2 votes)
01/04 | Natsumi Maki vs. Sareee - TJPW Tokyo Joshi Pro '20 (2 votes)
01/04 | Chris Brookes vs. Miyako Matsumoto - Gake no Fuchi Pro Wrestling Gakeppuchi Snow White 2020 (3 votes)
01/04 | Kaito Kiyomiya vs Go Shiozaki for the GHC Heavyweight Title - Pro Wrestling NOAH New Sunrise (5 votes)
01/05 | Zack Sabre Jr (C) vs. SANADA for the RevPro British Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 2 (3 votes)
01/05 | Jon Moxley (C) vs. Juice Robinson for the IWGP United States Championship - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 2 (2 votes)
01/05 | Kota Ibushi vs. Switchblade Jay White - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 2 (5 votes)
01/05 | AXIZ (Go Shiozaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima) (c) vs. Naomichi Marufuji & Masaaki Mochizuki for the GHC Tag Team Championship - NOAH Reboot (2 votes)
01/15 | Matt Riddle and Pete Dunne vs. Mark Andrews and Flash Morgan Webster - NXT (2 votes)
01/18 | Nick Gage vs Allie Kat - GCW Take a Picture (2 votes)
01/19 | Momo Watanabe vs Mayu Iwatani - Stardom 9th Anniversary (4 votes)
01/19 | Arisa Hoshiki (C) vs. Utami Hayashishita for the Wonder of Stardom Championship - Stardom 9th Anniversary (4 votes)
01/19 | Kagetsu vs. Tam Nakano - Stardom 9th Anniversary (3 votes)
01/24 | Chris Dickinson vs. David Starr - GCW Just Being Honest (4 votes)
01/26 | HARASHIMA (C) vs. Masato Tanaka for the KO-D Openweight Championship - DDT Sweet Dreams (4 votes)

WMOTYs with more than 1 vote (in bold are close to the threshold):
01/04 | SHLAK vs. Necro Butcher - ICW No Holds Barred (2 votes)
01/15 | Hikaru Shida & Kris Statlander vs. Brandi Rhodes & Mel - AEW Dynamite (3 votes)
01/20 | Lana & Bobby Lashley vs. Rusev & Liv Morgan - WWE Raw (4 votes)
01/26 | Women's Royal Rumble Match - WWE Royal Rumble (3 votes)

Honorable Mentions with more than 1 vote (in bold are close to the threshold):
01/01 | Kawato vs. Dulce Gardenia - CMLL Sie Piedad (2 votes)
01/01 | Caristico & Mistico vs. Cuatrero & Forastero - CMLL Sie Piedad (4 votes)
01/02 | The Great Sasuke, TAJIRI, & Masanobu Fuchi vs. Abdullah Kobayashi, Frank Atsushi, & The Great Kojika - AJPW Year End Wars 2019 night 1 (2 votes)
01/02 | Mayu Iwatani/Starlight Kid vs. Kagetsu/AZM - Stardom (3 votes)
01/03 | Hikaru Sato vs Susumu Yokosuka - AJPW New Years War Night 2 (6 votes)
01/04 | Maki Itoh vs. Hikari Noa - TJPW Tokyo Joshi Pro '20 (3 votes)
01/04 | Takashi Sugiura vs Masa Kitamiya for the GHC National Title - Pro Wrestling NOAH New Sunrise (3 votes)
01/04 | HAYATA vs Yoshinari Ogawa for the GHC Jr Heavyweight Title - Pro Wrestling NOAH New Sunrise (3 votes)
01/05 | NEVER 6-Man Gauntlet Match - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 2 (2 votes)
01/05 | Liger Retirement Match 2 - Jushin Thunder Liger & Naoki Sano vs. Hiromu Takahashi & Ryu Lee - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 2 (4 votes)
01/08 | Kenny Omega/Hangman Page vs. Private Party, AEW Dynamite - AEW Dynamite (5 votes)
01/08 | Cody/Dustin Rhodes vs. Lucha Bros - AEW Dynamite (2 votes)
01/08 | Jurassic Express vs. Best Friends - AEW Dynamite (5 votes)
01/10 | Atlantis Jr., Star Jr., Valiente vs. Hechicero, Rey Bucanero, Templario - CMLL (2 votes)
01/11 | Masaaki Mochizuki & GAMMA vs. YAMATO and Ben-K - Dragon Gate Open the New Year Gate (3 votes)
01/11 | BxB Hulk & Kazma Sakamoto vs KAI & Strong Machine J - Dragon Gate Open the New Year Gate (2 votes)
01/11 | Jimmy Lloyd vs Effy - GCW I Can’t Feel My Face (2 votes)
01/12 | Jason Lee & Yosuke♥Santa Maria vs Masato Yoshino & Susumu Yokosuka - Dragon Gate Open The New Year Gate Night 2 (2 votes)
01/12 | Ben-K & YAMATO vs Big R Shimizu & Eita - Dragon Gate Open The New Year Gate Night 2 (2 votes)
01/12 | Kzy & Dragon Dia vs Dragon Kid and KAGETORA - Dragon Gate Open The New Year Gate Night 2 (2 votes)
01/12 | Kay Lee Ray (C) vs. Toni Storm vs. Piper Niven for the NXT UK Women's Championship - NXT UK Takeover Blackpool (3 votes)
01/15 | Diamond Dallas Page, Dustin Rhodes and QT Marshall vs. MJF & The Butcher and the Blade (4 votes)
01/15 | Battle Royal for #1 Contendership to the NXT Women's Championship - NXT (2 votes)
01/18 | Kylie Rae vs WARHORSE - Black Label Pro Nobody Puts BLP In The Corner (4 votes)
01/18 | Nate Webb vs Ricky Starks - GCW Take a Picture (2 votes)
01/18 | Nick Gage vs Allie Kat - GCW Take a Picture (2 votes)
01/19 | Ultimo Guerrero (C) vs. Satoshi Kojima for the CMLL World Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Fantasticamania (3 votes)
01/19 | Naoya Nomura vs. Ayato Yoshida - AJPW New Year's Wars (3 votes)
01/19 | Caristico (C) vs. Barbaro Cavernario for the NWA World Historic Middleweight Title - NJPW Fantasticamania (4 votes)
01/21 | Jurassic Express vs. Strong Hearts - AEW Dark (6 votes)
01/22 | Jon Moxley vs. PAC - AEW Dynamite (6 votes)
01/22 | Matt Riddle and Pete Dunne vs. Imperium - NXT (2 votes)
01/22 | Roderick Strong (C) vs. Keith Lee for the NXT North American Championship - NXT (2 votes)
01/24 | Mistico vs Gran Guerrero - CMLL (3 votes)
01/24 | AJ Gray vs. Chris Bey - GCW Just Being Honest (3 votes)
01/24 | Blake Christian vs Arez - GCW Just Being Honest (3 votes)
01/24 | Gringo Loco vs. Slice Boogie vs. Eli Everfly vs. Matt Vandagriff vs. Adrian Quest vs. Starboy Charlie - GCW Just Being Honest (3 votes)
01/25 | Finn Bálor vs. Ilja Dragunov - NXT Worlds Collide (5 votes)
01/26 | Nautilus (Naomi Yoshimura & Yuki Ueno) (c) vs. Yuki Iino & Chihiro Hashimoto for the KO-D Tag Team Championship - DDT Sweet Dreams (4 votes)
01/29 | Cody vs. Kip Sabian - AEW Dynamite (2 votes)

Updated through to forkboy84 below.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 8, 2020

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I wonder if the men’s rumble match is the highest star rated match to get one paltry HM vote

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Going to have to strongly recommend people check the NOAH matches

Kaito Kiyomiya (c) vs Go Shiozaki from 4/1 NOAH New Sunrise
Go Shizaki & Katsuhiko Nakajima (c) vs Masaaki Mochizuki & Naomichi Marufuji from 5/1 NOAH Reboot
Takashi Sugiura (c) vs Masa Kitamiya from 4/1 NOAH New Sunrise
HAYATA (c) vs Yoshinari Ogawa from 4/1 NOAH New Sunrise

Ordered from most need to watch down. If I manage to find the GHC Tag Title match from 5/1 then I will add that below Kiyomiya vs Shiozaki & above Sugi vs Kitamiya.

With the new ownership meaning more matches making their way online through DDT Universe & AbemaTV, now is the best time to get into NOAH since before Misawa died. The wrestling is excellent, the booking under NOSAWA Rongai has been hard to fault. If you like yourself good wrestling matches with hard hitting thicc boys, NOAH has that. Technical grapplefucking? NOAH has that. Big match epics? You bet your bottom dollar.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Rarity posted:

HM: Kauzchika Okada vs. Taichi, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo, 02/02

nthing, these both ripped

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
2/1
NJPW New Beginning in Sapporo Night 2
Jon Moxley, Ryusuke Taguchi, Sho and Yoh vs Douki, El Desperado, Minoru Suzuki and Yoshinobu Kanemaru

Oh my. Focus was right, Moxley is good. Combine the absurd violence of Suzuki and Mox with Taguchi being Taguchi and you make me smile a lot.

HM
2/1
RevPro British Heavyweight Title
Zack Sabre Jr (c) vs Will Ospreay

Very enjoyable

HM
2/1
Kazuchika Okada vs Taichi, The Holy Emperor

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 3, 2020

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Burn Down Canberra posted:

All from the nb in sapporo night 1 1/2

HM: Okada/Moxley v Suzuki/Taichi
HM: Evil v ishii
Motyc : goto v shingo

Seconded

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Burn Down Canberra posted:

All from the nb in sapporo night 1 1/2

HM: Okada/Moxley v Suzuki/Taichi
HM: Evil v ishii
Motyc : goto v shingo

nth

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MOTYC: Chris Dickinson vs David Starr, GCW Just Being Honest 1/24/2020
MOTYC: Tony Deppen vs Mance Warner, Just Being Honest 1/24
HM: Rickey Shane Page vs Effy, same event
HM: Nick Gage vs Matthew Justice, same event

I Before E fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 4, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: CHAOS (Okada, Ospreay, YOH, and SHO) vs. Suzuki-gun (Taichi, ZSJ, Despy, and Kanemaru) in an Elimination Match - NJPW Road to the New Beginning - 2/4

Holy gently caress this match was a loving blast, just so much fun with such good wrestling.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

HM: CHAOS (Okada, Ospreay, YOH, and SHO) vs. Suzuki-gun (Taichi, ZSJ, Despy, and Kanemaru) in an Elimination Match - NJPW Road to the New Beginning - 2/4

Holy gently caress this match was a loving blast, just so much fun with such good wrestling.

nth.

first the match was good, then the Despy/YOH elimination happened and it kicked into another gear.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Kazuchika Okada/Will Ospreay/Roppongi 3K vs. Taichi/Zack Sabre Jr/El Desperado/Yoshinobu Kanemaru, NJPW Road to the New Beginning, 04/02

A great clusterfuck with a super hot finishing stretch

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Elimination tags rule

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Kenny Omega & Riho vs. Kip Sabian & Penelope Ford - AEW Dark 2/4

This match was a real treat, and really aided by the handheld camera giving it a very different look to usual.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

This match was a real treat, and really aided by the handheld camera giving it a very different look to usual.

ye. and it was on a boat!

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Nth! Such a fun match.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

MOTYC: Yuji Okabayashi vs Chris Dickinson, GCW Live Fast Die Young 2/3/20 (aired 2/4 on FITE)

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

HM Vikingo vs TJP, Impact, i think 4th of feb their time

i know tjp is problematic but this was a very good cruiser match that also incorporated some very cool submissions. the execution in this match was extremely crisp

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
WMOTYC: Mel vs Hikaru Shida, AEW Dark, 2/4/20

Jesus loving christ that entire match felt like it was moving slower than a glacier and it was just a complete and utter mess.

I think Casey sums up my thoughts in a much better way:

https://twitter.com/ifyouseekcasey/status/1224852735322927106

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

3rd. I really enjoyed this.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

ye

i am stopping up most of the night watching wrestling pls do not judge

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Kenny Omega/Riho vs. Kip Sabien/Penelope Ford, AEW Dark, 04/02

Not only was the wrestling fun but it was really smartly put together. As someone who's not seen much in the way of intergender wrestling it worked as a great blueprint for how to do it without ever feeling uncomfortable.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Rarity posted:

HM: Kenny Omega/Riho vs. Kip Sabien/Penelope Ford, AEW Dark, 04/02

Not only was the wrestling fun but it was really smartly put together. As someone who's not seen much in the way of intergender wrestling it worked as a great blueprint for how to do it without ever feeling uncomfortable.

Nth. They managed to do it without anything feeling "yikes", Riho had some great and convincing spots both of bring in peril from Kip and striking back at him effectively, and the whole thing just felt delightful. The outlaw way it was shot helped too.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

nth

DarkstarIV posted:

WMOTYC: Mel vs Hikaru Shida, AEW Dark, 2/4/20

Jesus loving christ that entire match felt like it was moving slower than a glacier and it was just a complete and utter mess.

I think Casey sums up my thoughts in a much better way:

https://twitter.com/ifyouseekcasey/status/1224852735322927106

This too. Stop putting these nightmare collective dipshits with Shida and Statlander. They're ruining everything

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Hirooki Goto/Toa Henare vs. Shingo Takagi/EVIL, NJPW Road to the New Beginning, 05/02

Another classic serving of New Japan BEEF and also a pretty big deal for Henare

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crapple! posted:

nth
these nightmare collective dipshits... They're ruining everything

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
11th January
All Japan Pro Wrestling Town Revitalization Special
Black Tiger and Izanagi vs Hikaru Sato and Yosuke Okada

This was completely silly. I'm not entirely sure what's going on here but it made me chuckle many times. If you like silly wrestling this is worth your time.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

MOTYC: The Butcher & The Blade and Lucha Bros (Pentagon & Fenix) vs. Kenny Omega, Hangman Page and the Young Bucks - AEW Dynamite, February 5, 2020.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

blast0rama posted:

MOTYC: The Butcher & The Blade and Lucha Bros (Pentagon & Fenix) vs. Kenny Omega, Hangman Page and the Young Bucks - AEW Dynamite, February 5, 2020.

2nd. COWBOY poo poo

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

blast0rama posted:

3rd.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

blast0rama posted:

Nth

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

blast0rama posted:

HM for me. Great loving match though.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

HM for me. Great loving match though.

Yeah I'll go HM for it too

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

blast0rama posted:

This kicked rear end, seconded

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

blast0rama posted:

Nth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah I'll go HM for it too