Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

forkboy84 posted:

Clearly that won't ever happen but suppose it did, do you know how loving seething I would be that the first general strike in this lovely country in 95 or years is about Brexit rather than income inequality & housing prices & power disparities & y'know, poo poo that loving matters? I think my head would explode. Because I would put a sawn-off shotgun into my mouth and pull the trigger. Okay, not really, but I would be beyond angry. 50/50 chance of me spontaneously combusting from rage.

Could be an interesting emptyquote.

E: catax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

calico cat is trapped outside because one of the locking tabs on the cat mate has shifted very slightly

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/bagelpicbot/status/1224341176012156936

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If you do, run at the police lines for some awesome footage that will somehow never be seen anywhere but the internet.
Inquest finds conclusively that the anti-police assailant spontaneously combusted and this had nothing to do with the three gallons of CS agent or safety signal flares used entirely appropriately by the Metropolitan Police.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1224845411535478784?s=20

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/z3bmk8/unemployed-art-school-graduate-job-diary

This seems like a really interesting article.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Why give it any air time?

Let's say this somehow gets seen by anyone, the fire hose of lies has already put out that he's spent the past 3 years trying to thwart brexit and that he's been acting for Labour this whole time. Also that Labour is the real anti Semitic party. This isn't an own. It's a dribble of truth up against the deluge of lies.

If this becomes a fire they have to put out, they just make sure to plant the seeds of doubt. That Bercow's doing this to spurn the Tories or as a stunt to vindicate the anti Semitic Labour party who put him forward for a peerage. If that's not the obvious take to put out there then for fucks sake hire me to write for the Spectator.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 5, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sad and depressing. It was very similar back in 1981 even with a STEM degree as I can personally attest.
I did type more about that but it got too depressing so I've zapped it unposted.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

the best bit is he said that 2 months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LopTs0u45ac

before the election, and oh they're only just reporting on it now, huh that's weird

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

A lot of that is horrifyingly real for me during my second redundancy. The first one (2010 or so) was fine - helpful job centre advisor who got my experience (she had similar before joining the JC) and that they would have very little for me and helped me pass the hoops while I did my own search.

The second in 2016 was a risky different matter. Much more regimented. You must apply to these roles. 5 per week. One was a banking director at 160k/year which I pointed out was probably a teeny bit above my level. Doesn’t matter, apply or get sanctioned.

Absolutely useless.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Red Oktober posted:

A lot of that is horrifyingly real for me during my second redundancy. The first one (2010 or so) was fine - helpful job centre advisor who got my experience (she had similar before joining the JC) and that they would have very little for me and helped me pass the hoops while I did my own search.

The second in 2016 was a risky different matter. Much more regimented. You must apply to these roles. 5 per week. One was a banking director at 160k/year which I pointed out was probably a teeny bit above my level. Doesn’t matter, apply or get sanctioned.

Absolutely useless.

I thought you got sanctioned for applying for jobs for which you were either over-qualified or under-qualified but still had to apply for a certain number per week?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
In all my times on the dole every time the best strategy is to lie, lie, and lie again.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I mean, it would probably work, if they weren't a bunch of cowardly melts who would go back to work after twenty minutes, but like forkboy I'd lose my loving mind if it did.

ThomasPaine posted:

In all my times on the dole every time the best strategy is to lie, lie, and lie again.

100% this, remember the modern DWP is an organization devoted to hurting the poor.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

I have a feeling I'm going to get shat on for this but I'll say it anyway: at no point in this article does the author say what they actually do. Ok, they're an art graduate, with two degrees, and I respect that, but I just can't work out what jobs they're actually applying for.

I'm a bar manager, possibly even a restaurant/bar manager, with absolutely no relevant qualifications in those fields, and I'm actually loathe to describe myself as either. And yet as far as I can tell the only qualification to being either is just to act like it; I'm not entirely sure what a P&L spreadsheet is actually saying but as long as I pass the buck onto the accountant I don't get into trouble. And I'm not entirely sure I've actually got the authority to scream down the phone at the brewery suppliers at 10am on Tuesday when the delivery was definitely 100% arriving Monday morning but the delivery then seems to magically appear 3 hours later and I don't get into trouble so maybe I do.

I've had a waiter whose sister-in-law worked for an air conditioning company and had openings for technicians who maintain that sort of thing, he asked if he could help deep clean the kitchen so he had experience doing it. Of course he bloody could, we couldn't even find paid volunteers to do that sort of thing, he's long gone and on 30k/year last I heard. I've had a waitress whose mum worked in a care home and needed nightshift 'experience' so she could do full-time care, and could she do the sleepover shifts I had to almost beg other staff to do? Of course she bloody could, and with my massively exagerrated reference she's probably on close to 30k/year as well. One of the cleaners wanted to go and do a chemical safety course, which by her own admission would lead to her getting a far better paid job with the eventual aim of doing asbestos removal (and other hazardos waste), but would be paid for completely by our suppliers, done on her own time and just needed my signature? Pass me a pen. And I have dozens of stories of people like this - some graduates, some not - who are making more than me and more importantly doing what they want to be doing.

My point is that it's all very well being qualified to do something, the trick though is working out your niche. Find that, and hammer it. That, after all, is what everyone else is doing, so if you're not you'll get nowhere.

edit:

ThomasPaine posted:

It would have been easier if I'd just quoted this

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

maybe she means a "new labour education" in a political sense? like, that's how you know new labour's poo poo.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Please use the correct term, it's actually called a New Labour education education education

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I thought you got sanctioned for applying for jobs for which you were either over-qualified or under-qualified but still had to apply for a certain number per week?

I've no idea, I just vividly remember being told I needed to apply for this job by a very grumpy advisor.

To be honest, I've had such different experiences with different ones that I suspect they have a lot of free reign.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There's deliberate Tory antisemitism there, but how is Bercow pronounced? I assumed it was from Bercov via Berkowitz or similar, but British media pronounces it Ber cow like the farm animal.

British media also pronounces Jose like Joe-say and repeatedly does poo poo like this

so I don't highly rate their international credentials.

Am I having an Epshtyne moment?

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Guavanaut posted:

British media also pronounces Jose like Joe-say
Isn't that just the Portuguese pronunciation?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They've done it for Spanish and Latino Joses too.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
No way, José is still a common thing you hear in Ireland. A no way without a José is a lot less emphatic. Although you do quite frequently see it spelt hosay. I wonder if those people even know it's a name.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I also pronounce it joe-say if it doesn't have the accent on it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Overminty posted:

Isn't that just the Portuguese pronunciation?

Yep, it's jo-say mourinho etc.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
After Brexit they'll pass a law so that it actually is pronounced Jallah Peenos.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I also pronounce it joe-say if it doesn't have the accent on it.

Really if that's the case you should say it so it rhymes with rose or nose.

Forums moderator Joes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Forums moderator Joes.

Ro-say or No-say, yes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

*sighs* into the sea with you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh-kay!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Don't worry mate at least it's not his daughter

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/04/camerons-bodyguard-suspended-for-leaving-gun-in-plane-toilet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Forums moderator Joes.
Hose Mourinho

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Heads up there is big storm coming on sunday. Really high winds for my neck of the woods.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1225003633575632898

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I was planning on going for a long walk to see the remains of an ancient village this weekend.

Sorting out washing indoors instead I guess.

Jose :argh:

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Oh don't worry, London will still be visitable for a while afterwards.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of which, I saw this while looking for it.

You are not logged in! You may be seeing yesterday's information about ancient megaliths!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If the wind's strong enough you might get to see the village anyway.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress gently caress fuc

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1224836048620019712?s=19

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Red Oktober posted:

I've no idea, I just vividly remember being told I needed to apply for this job by a very grumpy advisor.

To be honest, I've had such different experiences with different ones that I suspect they have a lot of free reign.
If you're on universal credit then yeah, no two advisors are the same because none of them know how it works :v:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress gently caress fuc

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1224836048620019712?s=19

Love this country. The best country with the brightest people.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

have had loads of words and names related to uk politics muted on twitter since the election, i recommend it, seriously de-shitted my timeline no end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

loving creasing at the bloke on the radio news talking about DCFADP's bodyguard leaving his gun in the toilet: "We're all human, but unfortunately being a police officer and being human don't always go together" :laffo: