Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

It turns out the mole is an actual mole who has been hiding in someone's clothes.

the lice smile pays off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Electric Phantasm posted:

It turns out the mole is an actual mole who has been hiding in someone's clothes.

So that's what Miss Merry Christmas was up to before she joined Baroque Works....

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
The idea of there not being a spy at all and it being a rude is actually pretty ingenious since it keeps everyone distracted and ununified since they'll all be trying to think of who the traitor was amongst them.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
The traitor is the friends we made along the way.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
If we assume Kaidou is a dragon who transforms into a human, where do you think he keeps his club? Is it part of the transformation? Does he have a li'l belt to hang his club from when he's a dragon? Does he have an underling whose sole job is to carry it?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
he'd prefer you don't ask

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
It’s a “mystery” club.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's got spiked clubs positioned all over Wano in case he needs them.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

The idea of there not being a spy at all and it being a rude is actually pretty ingenious since it keeps everyone distracted and ununified since they'll all be trying to think of who the traitor was amongst them.

It has to be something even if it’s not the Samurai, because the plans keep getting exposed. Not to mention they somehow knew Raizou was on Zou and were able to keep finding their way back, which Duke Dogstorm noted as being strange.

I dunno if it’s Kanjuro because they found their way to Zou even before he was there. It’s a really weird mystery and there are a lot of suspects

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Asuron posted:

It has to be something even if it’s not the Samurai, because the plans keep getting exposed. Not to mention they somehow knew Raizou was on Zou and were able to keep finding their way back, which Duke Dogstorm noted as being strange.

I dunno if it’s Kanjuro because they found their way to Zou even before he was there. It’s a really weird mystery and there are a lot of suspects

poo poo that's a good point about Zou. I'm gonna look into reading these arcs over again because there's lots to unpack.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Parrotine posted:

I never thought I'd see the day when Kaidou went for cowardly tactics like that. He takes the first damage ever and resorts to using his underlings to help set up cheap shots like that with NotMomo.

His minions used poison gas on Zou. I think it's safe to say they'll use any means to achieve a win a là Don Krieg.

Brother Entropy posted:

yeah, he changes to his zoan form when he gets serious

Humans: the most dangerous animal of all.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think Kaidou was planning on resorting to Momo trickery, though that obviously didn't stop him from taking advantage of it.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Kaku seems so straight laced, so conventionally serious, such a square in all respects

Then Giraffe cube

I mean how do you even stop this?

ABSOLUTE DEFENSE

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Bleck posted:

this wouldn't explain who the current day traitor is, though
True. But Kanjuro?? The guy got stuck in a garbage pit for god knows how long. If there has to be a traitor I have faith that Oda will write it well, but making it any of the akazaya nine is gonna take some real work to make it believable.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's probably Momo. His dragon form appears to be tied with Kaido's, given how similar they look and his inability to control the transformation, so who knows what other effects there are. The mystery of his dragon form has been quietly downplayed since they got to Wano, so it feels like a good candidate for springing a surprise revelation on us sometime soon.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's probably Momo. His dragon form appears to be tied with Kaido's, given how similar they look and his inability to control the transformation, so who knows what other effects there are. The mystery of his dragon form has been quietly downplayed since they got to Wano, so it feels like a good candidate for springing a surprise revelation on us sometime soon.

The traitor was around way before Momo got his fruit. His fruit is definitely connected to Kaido though, it's the exact same design and powers. If Kaido's dragon form IS his fruit then maybe Vegapunk was trying to recreate it for his artificial fruit?

RatHat fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 3, 2020

Lizion
Nov 23, 2002

Roll, Mega Man, ROLL!
With all those old devil fruits popping up we've seen before, maybe the spy is just one of kaido's henchmen who has the clairvoyance fruit, that viola used on dressrosa.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That'd work for the flashback stuff, sure, but doesn't explain how that it's still a thing in the present day.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
the real interesting thing about Vegapunk somehow copying Kaido's devil fruit is the possible implication that Kaido is working with the Marines

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Nah, kizaru and vegapunk have a relation of some sort and kizaru wanted to try jumping into wano by himself before akainu told him off

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bleck posted:

the real interesting thing about Vegapunk somehow copying Kaido's devil fruit is the possible implication that Kaido is working with the Marines

Maybe Vegapunk examined him one of the many times he was captured. Or maybe he’s an escaped experiment? This part I doubt though since Kaido was around 40 years ago and Vegapunk doesn’t seem that old.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 5, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bleck posted:

There is a question raised there given it's implied Orochi is a WG coup to gain control of Wano's resources, and the Marines don't seem to have any shortage of Seastone, which can supposedly only be refined there.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There is a question raised there given it's implied Orochi is a WG coup to gain control of Wano's resources, and the Marines don't seem to have any shortage of Seastone, which can supposedly only be refined there.

That makes sense. It'd be a HUGE and constant source of income for Kaido and resources for the Marines and Kaido doesn't even need to be made aware of the buyer since it can all be done under the guise of "using the Black Market to avoid alerting the Marines" and we've already seen Lucci be aware and involved in the Black Market during the Punk Hazard arc so we know it's up their alley.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If Kaido is working for the marines he can't be very trustworthy if Drake is there to keep an eye on him.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He wouldn't be working with the Marines he'd be working with the World Government. Drake seemed pretty surprised and nonplussed about CP-0 being on Wano so I can't imagine what's going on is being filtered down to the marines..

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Maybe Kaido doesn’t have a dragon fruit and is actually a shapeshifting dragon, or the dragon form is his base form? And vegapunk just tried to replicate that like all the other replicated animals.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Bisse posted:

Maybe Kaido doesn’t have a dragon fruit and is actually a shapeshifting dragon, or the dragon form is his base form? And vegapunk just tried to replicate that like all the other replicated animals.

That's been a theory for a long while now, and could go either way. (especially since Chopper is explicit precedent) Note that Momo's fruit is explicitly Vegapunk's work, while all the other SMILE fruits we've seen are Caesar Clown's knockoffs.

What we haven't seen from Kaido yet is any form in between his dragon form and Oni-like human form, while it's established every Zoan user has at least three forms; their base form, the fully transformed animal form, and an in-between. (Chopper's usual form is his in-between, and is tiny and adorable for little real reason other than being cute and merchandisable) There's not a lot of real consistency between these, mind.

The evidence combined with mythological precedent does lean towards Kaido likely being an oni-like giant, and/or flat out the Wano version of an Oni, especially since apparently he has a bunch of allies who are terrifying horned giants with drinking problems. On the other hand though, it'd be very much like Oda to specifically wrong-foot us about that, and it'd be cool and funny for one of the Emperors to be basically the amped-up version of Chopper. (also, dragons with drinking problems as a weakness has mythological precedent, at least if Okami is any indication)

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Bisse posted:

I feel he’d be constantly headhunted by Big Mom for her scrapebook if he was some rare beast

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
As far as I'm concerned, it's pretty open and shut due to the fact that the Oni is way stronger than the Dragon. He got tossed around by Oden and Luffy as a dragon and then transformed into the Oni to 1-shot them. According to the logic of Zoan powers, which we know is consistent for animal to humanoid zoans as we have Chopper as precedent, the "full shapeshift" form is stronger than the base animal form.

It also hit me when writing this that we've never seen Kaido's hybrid shape. Assuming that's not his awakened form or whatever.

Tolth fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 5, 2020

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Worth noting that the official data cards/book specifically don’t name Kaido’s devil fruit or even acknowledge that he has one at all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

yum posted:

I feel he’d be constantly headhunted by Big Mom for her scrapebook if he was some rare beast

It's been noted already that Big Mom and Kaido go way back, (to the point where it's possible Kaido is the father of some of Big Mom's kids) and kind of clear that they're considered equals in power, not someone Big Mom goes after lightly.

Incidentally, it's not new for some seeming Devil Fruit abilities to go unnamed for a while; Kidd's apparent metal-control power has been acknowledged as a Devil Fruit ability (and compared with Luffy and Law) but yet to be given a name.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

Worth noting that the official data cards/book specifically don’t name Kaido’s devil fruit or even acknowledge that he has one at all.

yeah, that was my first hint that got me theorizing. modern oda's kinda gotten into the habit of naming a character's fruit in an odabox once it's very clear what the fruit is so it stuck out to me when he very pointedly didn't do that after we'd seen dragon kaido

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Momonosuke's also not had an in between form either.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's been noted already that Big Mom and Kaido go way back, (to the point where it's possible Kaido is the father of some of Big Mom's kids) and kind of clear that they're considered equals in power, not someone Big Mom goes after lightly.

Incidentally, it's not new for some seeming Devil Fruit abilities to go unnamed for a while; Kidd's apparent metal-control power has been acknowledged as a Devil Fruit ability (and compared with Luffy and Law) but yet to be given a name.

Yeah, the personal relationship thing probably trumps everything else for Big Mom. It’ll be interesting to see how they interacted with each other when we get the Rocks flashback.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kild posted:

Mainly because he cant really control it.
Were prob going to get some exposition on it when we get back to the present

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Maybe the humanoid Kaido is the hybrid form and his human form is like 6’3”

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The evidence combined with mythological precedent does lean towards Kaido likely being an oni-like giant, and/or flat out the Wano version of an Oni, especially since apparently he has a bunch of allies who are terrifying horned giants with drinking problems. On the other hand though, it'd be very much like Oda to specifically wrong-foot us about that, and it'd be cool and funny for one of the Emperors to be basically the amped-up version of Chopper. (also, dragons with drinking problems as a weakness has mythological precedent, at least if Okami is any indication)
If Chopper ends up curing the laughing sickness of the SMILE victims, this could make for a fun dichotomy. The reindeer in the form of a man fixing a plague caused by a dragon in the form of an oni.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kild posted:

Come to think of it, neither did Marco, Sengoku, or Drake. They're forms seem to be either full animal or full human as I recall. Mythical and Prehistoric Zoan's could be special cases.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

doomrider7 posted:

Come to think of it, neither did Marco, Sengoku, or Drake. They're forms seem to be either full animal or full human as I recall. Mythical and Prehistoric Zoan's could be special cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Was about to actually post that since I was thinking if we had seen Drake or not. With mythical ones it still seems to stand though which still begs the question if there's anything unique about them since they're stated to be even more rare than logia's.