Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

i can't remember which one this is specifically but the two that always stick with me are the one about the irresponsible dad who wants to run away and adventure with kaim, and Bright Rain

oh and the ending of They Live In Shells

Its called "Letters from a Weakling".

bushisms.txt posted:

2 pages late but this is wrong. The game tossed out all the lessons learned from 2. The real ending is in Alan wake. Gameplay was dope though

I played through MP2 a bunch of times and while its been years my memory is the ending is "everyone but max is dead and he has absolutely nothing to look forward to."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Relax Or DIE posted:

I have usually had a good time playing NRS games but i think they're some of the least interesting to watch in a tournament setting.

I enjoy playing MK11 but it's not really a game I watch for entertainment unless I'm trying to learn something. I think the level of violence is also problematic when it comes to monetization for streams and youtube (only IRL abusers allowed).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

I played through MP2 a bunch of times and while its been years my memory is the ending is "everyone but max is dead and he has absolutely nothing to look forward to."

the first max payne game was unabashed noir schlock where a smirking hardboiled fella with a pistol gunned his way through a small army of interchangeable palookas, and where his own tragic backstory was more perfunctory than anything. max payne 2 treated its characters and events with far more realism while, and this is important, not diminishing the events of max payne 1. max is an addled wreck because he can't come to terms with his existence as a borderline-unstoppable killing engine, vlad deliberately sics max on his enemies because he knows that max won't stop until every single one of them is dead (and then immediately panics and locks everything down the instant max winds up fighting the cleaners, because they're vlad's subordinates and that means vlad just became max's "final boss"). max spends the entire game being haunted by the actualized fictions of his life - all the tv and radio programs are parodies or allegories of his own story, the "late goodbye" theme that references his relationship with mona is hummed, played, and referenced by complete strangers he comes across, one recurring stage is a theme park whose parody of violence becomes "real" when the cleaners come knocking (you're literally psyching out and killing them with the park's own props), and max on some level recognizes the drastic change in himself and the people he knew from the previous game - and on a meta level, too, with himself and mona suddenly being played by different actors. "I've been switched! I didn't used to look like this!"

max payne 2 is about max falling to "the bottom of the hole," freeing himself of his violent action-hero past by letting himself succumb to it until every single thing about it has been annihilated, even the parts he cares about. that's the meaning of the final line in the game, and why he only achieves catharsis when mona dies. he's killed all his old ties, and by extension all his context as the protagonist of an action-heavy video game, allowing himself to move on to something new. it's one of the deftest uses of metafiction in a medium that's usually sledgehammer-subtle about it, so you can imagine my displeasure when max payne 3 drops three "max is upset and drinking" montages on us in a ten-minute span at the very beginning of the game

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I hope they release the Metroid Prime games on the Switch, I would like to play them.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I saw a panel Sam Lake did for Control and I enjoy that he still looks exactly like PS2 Max Payne

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Remedy rule, Rockstar drool

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish the RP walk in Yakuza 0 was like 20-30% faster

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
why is there a fast food forum now :psyduck:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hey speaking of games that make you emotional.

The ending still makes me tear up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1225055502842900480

No yeah, your biggest competition is the phone games on the Fire no one plays and loving Stadia.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Waffleman_ posted:

No yeah, your biggest competition is the phone games on the Fire no one plays and loving Stadia.

I'm on my phone someone post the sensible chuckle gif for me

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Love to compete with a company that largely gave up on game development a few years ago and one that will have given up this time next year.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/ReviewsPokemon/status/1224811949034221570

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm on my phone someone post the sensible chuckle gif for me

ok but only because i like that gif

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

ok but only because i like that gif

Thank you friend

I need to watch Danger 5 again

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Looper posted:

why is there a fast food forum now :psyduck:

How many thread derails happen every day on SA because of arguments about bbq or hot dogs

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jay Rust posted:

How many thread derails happen every day on SA because of arguments about bbq or hot dogs

Not enough.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Quiznos makes better sandwiches than Subway

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I think Spencer's pretty shrewd about these things, but this is a wonderfully inside-the-industry-bubble opinion. By which I mean, it makes sense if you focus only on the technology and completely ignore the total lack of corporate interest and/or competence Amazon and Google have shown with respect to games. It only surprises me because I'd have figured Spencer would have zero respect for Phil Harrison after seeing firsthand the devastation that dipshit wrought in the Xbox division.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

Quiznos makes better sandwiches than Subway

i think pooping a solid turd is technically better than a torrent of painful diarrhea but i wouldn't want to eat either

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Where does subway even get their awful bread? That should be the hardest thing to get wrong

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like Subway's italian bmts as a cheap nightmare grease bomb

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

the first max payne game was unabashed noir schlock where a smirking hardboiled fella with a pistol gunned his way through a small army of interchangeable palookas, and where his own tragic backstory was more perfunctory than anything. max payne 2 treated its characters and events with far more realism while, and this is important, not diminishing the events of max payne 1. max is an addled wreck because he can't come to terms with his existence as a borderline-unstoppable killing engine, vlad deliberately sics max on his enemies because he knows that max won't stop until every single one of them is dead (and then immediately panics and locks everything down the instant max winds up fighting the cleaners, because they're vlad's subordinates and that means vlad just became max's "final boss"). max spends the entire game being haunted by the actualized fictions of his life - all the tv and radio programs are parodies or allegories of his own story, the "late goodbye" theme that references his relationship with mona is hummed, played, and referenced by complete strangers he comes across, one recurring stage is a theme park whose parody of violence becomes "real" when the cleaners come knocking (you're literally psyching out and killing them with the park's own props), and max on some level recognizes the drastic change in himself and the people he knew from the previous game - and on a meta level, too, with himself and mona suddenly being played by different actors. "I've been switched! I didn't used to look like this!"

max payne 2 is about max falling to "the bottom of the hole," freeing himself of his violent action-hero past by letting himself succumb to it until every single thing about it has been annihilated, even the parts he cares about. that's the meaning of the final line in the game, and why he only achieves catharsis when mona dies. he's killed all his old ties, and by extension all his context as the protagonist of an action-heavy video game, allowing himself to move on to something new. it's one of the deftest uses of metafiction in a medium that's usually sledgehammer-subtle about it, so you can imagine my displeasure when max payne 3 drops three "max is upset and drinking" montages on us in a ten-minute span at the very beginning of the game

i liked it when max shaved his head and then shot people, its a fun game :)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

By which I mean, it makes sense if you focus only on the technology and completely ignore the total lack of corporate interest and/or competence Amazon and Google have shown with respect to games.

this is why he sees them as MS competitors, theyre muscling in on his turf!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

alan wake sucks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lol CliffyB, I think literally zero people in the world thought this

https://twitter.com/VG247/status/1225065658838388738

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

stop talking cliffyb

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Barudak posted:

People really like to quote the purple prose ending panels but during the final act of the game he's really mentally hosed up from killing Winterson to the point where it even factors into his self-loathing dream sequences and this is all kind of brushed aside in the end and never followed upon with the ending just being the "this is fine" dog meme. 3 works better at showing Max moving on from the past after all that and doing some good for people who aren't him.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It's $500! :eyepop:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

Has he really not been paying attention to Google Stadia? Game streaming is a dead concept already. Its had its time to shine, but it's clear now it's not going to work.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol CliffyB, I think literally zero people in the world thought this

https://twitter.com/VG247/status/1225065658838388738

Hold on I got it this time

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

This is great! Microsoft can leave the console world and stop being poison on it and go and mess with stadia and amazon instead and focus on chasing whatever it is stadia brings to the table. Let Sony and Nintendo do the console thing. Thanks phil! :)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Has he really not been paying attention to Google Stadia? Game streaming is a dead concept already. Its had its time to shine, but it's clear now it's not going to work.

Google failing at something doesn't mean the whole concept is dead

Like, Sony's streaming thing seems to be trucking alone just fine as an additional service.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

VideoGames posted:

This is great! Microsoft can leave the console world and stop being poison on it and go and mess with stadia and amazon instead and focus on chasing whatever it is stadia brings to the table. Let Sony and Nintendo do the console thing. Thanks phil! :)

The last time Sony felt like they had no real competition we had the PS3 launch so that doesn't seem ideal

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Andrast posted:

The last time Sony felt like they had no real competition we had the PS3 launch so that doesn't seem ideal

That was phil harrison, who also launched the Xbone and Google Stadia.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

VideoGames posted:

That was phil harrison, who also launched the Xbone and Google Stadia.

I'm sure they can find some other awful executive to be arrogant with

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Phil Harrison is a textbook example of the C-Suite class being totally useless

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Plus the first time Sony had no real competition was the PS1 and that led to the PS2 which is one of the greatest consoles. Not all competition is good. Someone else competing with Sony would be great.

Just not Microsoft.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Now trying to decide if the SNES or PS2 is the best console of all time and this might have to end in a tie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PS2 best game: Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
SNES best: Seiken Densetsu 3

both beautiful with great writing and gameplay and afaik neither is on PC without emulators