Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

No Wave posted:

No, damage + lifesteal are processed simultaneously.

Oh right, I wasn't thinking of the blocker with lifesteal blocking the attacker with overwhelm. But if your opponent is attacking you with an overwhelm that would kill you on the right, and you block with a lifesteal unit left of that but not all the way to the left, you might gain enough between the first attackers hitting and the last to survive the turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

guts and bolts posted:

I have 37 Champion cards but I still have enough shards to get 3 more, and I have 4 Champion wildcards in my inventory, but now I'm trying to be more judicious about who to buy. I almost impulse-bought Vladimir, but I also want Karma, and I also want Heimerdinger, so instead I bought nobody. :( I'm almost done with the P&Z reward track though - just have the Diamond Chest to go.

It's not so bad buying champions though since they have dup protection, you'll have them all pretty soon anyway.

I wish they'd just gone all in on dup protection, not had shards at all, and as soon as you had enough wild cards to complete your playset it just did it automatically, then didn't give you anything else until the next set. Would have let them keep their gradual earning of new cards with each new set without having to do something weird like have separate currencies for each set, and been a tiny bit more generous, but still pick up some whale money off people who want to buy their wild cards early instead of just waiting. They'd have to change the way you pay for expeditions I guess, but making those free and only have card rewards 1-2 times a week would have been fine probably. Then just charge for card backs, boards, and whatever the poro thing is called.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

A good player will always lead with their overwhelm if lifesteal is on the board to prevent it from having a chance of mattering, except in the case of "getting Darius to level up mid combat".

I was doing some thinking in bed last night and I wonder if the reason SI feels stupid is because of the empty block mechanic. Right now if you play a 10/10 Demacian rear end in a top hat an enemy SI deck can drop a 1/1 spider in the way, then KILL that spider with Glimpse and get two cards, and your 10/10 rear end in a top hat will do nothing. If combat-trick killing your own blocker removed them as a blocker, Glimpse would not be nearly as powerful and SI in general would have to make decisions about unit suicide where in the current game it's basically never wrong to kill something that was going to die anyways. (This also makes Recall more of a decision for Ionia as a bonus.)

Basically a lot of SI's cards are costing 'kill a unit to activate' as if it was an actual penalty, when in the current game it's basically free to do as SI has so many suicide-cards, they're cheap, AND they're combat tricks.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 5, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Getting to asymmetrically chump block is op. Elusives do it and SI does it now (thanks to fearless tribal) which is part of why those decks are better than other decks.

Demacia cant handle chump blockers like at all, it's essentially their faction weakness (also why 6ithria shows up in some monoD lists), maybe thats why one of their cards has a win con of killing 4 chump blockers - who knows .

But most decks will have the same problem. Noxus theoretically has overwhelm, but overwhelm seems to be a very expensive tag outside of the big D, whereas fearless is 100% free on frenzied skitterer, rhasa, and ledros.

That SI has the cheapest ways to make chumps as well as one of the most aggressively statted ways to bypass makes playing other factions seem like a troll.

Its why if you drop in on master streams on twitch the only decks people try to play outside of SI/Elusive are decks where you dont actually have to hit the opponent (Ezrael and Fiora).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 5, 2020

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's not so bad buying champions though since they have dup protection, you'll have them all pretty soon anyway.

I wish they'd just gone all in on dup protection, not had shards at all, and as soon as you had enough wild cards to complete your playset it just did it automatically, then didn't give you anything else until the next set. Would have let them keep their gradual earning of new cards with each new set without having to do something weird like have separate currencies for each set, and been a tiny bit more generous, but still pick up some whale money off people who want to buy their wild cards early instead of just waiting. They'd have to change the way you pay for expeditions I guess, but making those free and only have card rewards 1-2 times a week would have been fine probably. Then just charge for card backs, boards, and whatever the poro thing is called.
Yeah, logically I should just spend the resources I have, but FOMO is hitting me pretty hard. I'm trying to find the perfect compliment for Ezreal in the shell I'd like to run, and I'm not sure who that is yet. I was looking at Ashe, for all the burst enemy targets that also don't kill (important for SI, at least force them to use their own resources to get their effects?), but Ezreal splashing Freljord already exists and doesn't seem to include her at all. On paper I just really hate Ezreal/Karma in terms of consistency, and Lux seems borderline unplayable in most shells even though I'd really like an Ez/Lux OTP deck to work. Heimerdinger seems like a logical buddy, but I played an Ez/Heimer deck in Ranked recently and absolutely threw it in the dumpster with discard aggro, which is a shell I don't think is especially top-tier.

Alternatively, I could pivot toward trying to run a shell out of Lucian/Thresh, which I've been eyeing. Something like this maybe? Anybody try running something similar? It seems pretty fluffy but it could be fun, I don't know. The gameplan is basically efficient aggro, transitioning toward card draw/sacrifice when Dawnspeakers comes in, where you can quickly manufacture ally death to level up Lucian, get cards, and get free buffs. Chronicler of Ruin, Ravenous Butcher, Glimpse Beyond, Cursed Keeper, Dawnspeakers and Fading Memories are here to fuel the sacrifice engine, but I'm not married to Fading Memories - I was considering Mark of the Isles instead, not sure. Fleetfeather is there for Challenger but otherwise the options for dealing with Elusives is to either go over the top against them or use Black Spear, which isn't great. Brightsteel Protector, Cithria, 6thria (I'm stealing that, it's clever) and Senna are extremely efficient options in my view, but Brightsteel is only there to stop super early Black Spears, so I think that's a safe cut if there's a superior replacement, and I'm already running Stand Alone in this hypothetical to prevent Lucian from getting chumped super early, so I don't know.

Cards that didn't get in that maybe should would be Ledros or Rhasa, Hapless Aristocrat, Mark of the Isles, Vile Feast, Vengeance, and Detain. e: Swiftwing Lancer maybe? Warden's Prey? Vanguard Reedemer? Radiant Guardian? I just think most of these options skew the deck's curve out quite a bit.

e2:
I also think Champion spells factor into my rating of some of the choices. Extra Fioras become Riposte, extra Yasuos become Steel Tempest, and so on. Lucian turns into the Rally spell and Thresh, who is hypothetically a pseudo-finisher, turns into The Box, which is hugely underrated. I'm hesitant to invest into this because it would cost basically everything I have left to build the Champions I need, so I have zero playtesting behind this concept.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 5, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I managed to get six wins in expedition with spider based shenanigans and had a stab at building a cheap deck, which is doing ok-ish in pvp. Feel free to tell me how poo poo it is: https://decksofruneterra.com/decks/tukeybbe I'm planning to swap that Ravenous Butcher out for another Elise when I can but beyond that I'm not really sure what else to do with it, so advice is welcome :v:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Is there a way for a Challenger to choose "I don't want anyone to block me"? Because I could swear an opponent did this to me but I've never been able to figure out how to do it myself.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That's not possible. Maybe it was made fearsome with 6ithria.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
New keyword: Brute Squad.

Flavor text: "Everybody MOOOOOVEEEE!"

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Imagined posted:

Is there a way for a Challenger to choose "I don't want anyone to block me"? Because I could swear an opponent did this to me but I've never been able to figure out how to do it myself.

Do you mean have a challenger attack face? Isn't that the default? You have to grab a card manually to make them hook someone? Maybe I'm not understanding the question though.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Megasabin posted:

Do you mean have a challenger attack face? Isn't that the default? You have to grab a card manually to make them hook someone? Maybe I'm not understanding the question though.

It might have been fearsome, not a challenger? Fearsome units can only be blocked by other units with 3+ power. Challengers can force specific units to block them, they cannot avoid a block however.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Prokhor posted:

It might have been fearsome, not a challenger? Fearsome units can only be blocked by other units with 3+ power. Challengers can force specific units to block them, they cannot avoid a block however.

It might have been yusai(?) The challenger dude with elusive

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

DrManiac posted:

It might have been yusai(?) The challenger dude with elusive
Yusari, yeah. He has Elusive and Challenger.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

guts and bolts posted:

Yusari, yeah. He has Elusive and Challenger.

I can't be blocked... Unless?

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Prokhor posted:

I can't be blocked... Unless?
Yeah, Yusari doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me as a card. I guess the gimmick here is that he gets to choose his engagements, which, okay fine. Cool. I guess. He's statted kinda poorly otherwise at 4|3 for 5, but he usually runs rampant in draft if you're already locked in to Elusives.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Is there any consensus on the best site to browse and construct decklists?

We've got sort of an embarrassment of riches to choose from right now:

https://decksofruneterra.com/
https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks
https://rankedboost.com/legends-of-runeterra/deck-builds/
https://www.runeterrafire.com/
https://outof.cards/legends-of-runeterra/

I tend to go with Mobalytics right now because I like that you can see how many upvotes a particular deck has received.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 5, 2020

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Once you start an expedition, can you pause it and come back to it later? Or do you have to have a 2+ hour block to play all the matches?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Turambar posted:

Once you start an expedition, can you pause it and come back to it later? Or do you have to have a 2+ hour block to play all the matches?

You can return. I'm not sure what happens if you roll over a paid or free expedition to the next week though

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Imagined posted:

Is there any consensus on the best site to browse and construct decklists?

We've got sort of an embarrassment of riches to choose from right now:

https://decksofruneterra.com/
https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks
https://rankedboost.com/legends-of-runeterra/deck-builds/
https://www.runeterrafire.com/
https://outof.cards/legends-of-runeterra/

I tend to go with Mobalytics right now because I like that you can see how many upvotes a particular deck has received.

Yeah, it’s kinda frustrating, and then you get different people crossposting the same lists to every site under numerous variations of the same name, like manuS’ N/I aggro list for example.

I just want a clear frontrunner with some cohesion & consensus, much like the democratic primary.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Decks of Runeterra is the best. Mobalytics is the worst.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Firstborn posted:

Decks of Runeterra is the best. Mobalytics is the worst.

I like decks of runeterra overall, and a lot of the better streamers seem to post directly there, but they definitely have some bizarre formatting issues on occasion. Also, the far right column of mouse-over card spoilers continually pop up half outside the bounds of my screen no matter the resolution, scaling or size of the window or which device I view it on.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

For the person working on an Ezreal deck I personally am still a fan of Jinx/Draven/Ezreal even if it’s lagging a little behind and I’m having to rebuild it from shoddy memory. The general idea is to evolve two of your champs by turn 5 of 6 and then use their synergies to win.

Draven+Ezreal is 2-8 free nexus damage every combat between the spinning axes and other stuff. Jinx+Draven is 4 damage plus a nasty pairing to try and block. Jinx+Ezreal is 6 damage minimum if you can dump your hand. All 3 at the same time is basically a nearly unstoppable win in one turn.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

From what I'm seeing in the meta report stuff, Fiora decks and Ezreal decks are both making huge waves and are probably the best decks in the game right now.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Well, I finally decided to go try out an Expedition and proceeded to only get 1 win, followed by 4 wins. Wasn't really worth it, only got a total of 1 card, 700 shards, and a Heimerdinger which I wasn't interested in at all. I did learn how it feels to get obliterated turn 5 by a +3 shadow assassin getting two ephemeral copies so that's something I don't ever need to experience again. I know there's plenty supposed counterplay to elusive units, but getting a turn 5 Dawn and Dusk+Twin Disciples just feels completely unstoppable when you've already spent every turn exhausting your challenger units to get the other elusives out of the way.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Ethereal Remitter had made me realize how many followers in each tier have their mana cost tied into their play effect which makes him very awkward to play without downgrading your unit.

Your best bet are targeting 5 or 6 mana units to get one of the fat body 7 or 8 drops when you use it or luck into ledros.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Feb 6, 2020

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
went 6/ and 5/ this expedition, never felt like I got good choices for champs

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
One way I've hosed up several times is playing a combat trick after I've committed only one blocker and letting it resolve, not thinking about how I can't commit any more blockers after that.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
What do we not like about mobalytics? New to the Riot scene.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Had a game where I didn't draw a key card or card draw before turn my 20th card. I was able to stall until I finally got a Karma, and well :allears:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

CitizenKeen posted:

What do we not like about mobalytics? New to the Riot scene.

I don't know how different they are from the early days, but I remember back during league's release they were a running gag since any doofus could make a guide there that was just the worst advice possible.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Well now it's Swims?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Also the more I play, the more I want Shadow Isles to just not be super efficient? Units dying has huge benefits, and it's not possible to play around a lot of them. No 0 mana spells, and probably increasing a bunch of spells by 1 mana, imo.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Oh my god I had insane overkill lethal coming up in Expedition but I lost from decking out thanks to a doubled Karma->Warmother's Call. Absolutely brutal way to go lol

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Just went 1|5 on my first Expedition run. This is fantastic. It really does a lot of cool little things (picking bundles instead of cards, the slow progression of your deck as you play, getting two runs so you don't get totally screwed by RNG) that just make the whole thing sing.

Also, naming the bundles is cute and a nice touch.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
I'm playing a lot of free play expeditions and man I sure hope they take Elusive units out back and shoot them

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Contemplating building this Crimson deck that was linked yesterday. https://decksofruneterra.com/decks/D6-mhcRc

Can anyone tell me if Trifarian Assessor makes sense in here? It seems like merely decent stats and interacts with very few of the allies that actually exist in the deck. Does it seem out of place to anyone else, or is my evaluation still just very poor?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I'm really tempted to try for Ezreal but of course my Pilty champ capsule had Heimer. Not that he's bad, but I don't really want to make a Heimer deck. Champions are such a huge cockblock on making decks. :sigh:

I'm currently running Mistwraith/Fearsomes and started actually making LP again after stalling for a couple days so that's nice at least. Elusives don't feel good to me anymore. Too many answers available. SI being so drat popular the hilarious thing is that SI spell cards are the only cheap blocks for SI spell cards. The best way in the game to cockblock a vile feast/glimpse is with your own vile feast/glimpse. But if I have to fight SI 90% of the time I guess I have to play the best counter. Which is SI. :downs:

Honestly I don't like it very much but if better decks are extremely champion dependant I don't really have a choice since I don't have many champions. My freebies/stuff from capsules have been Jinx, Teemo, 2xShen, Zed, Yasuo, Hecarim, Heimer, and Thresh. Having to run 2x Elise 1x Hecarim 1x Thresh in a deck that's supposed to be 3x Elise 3x Hecarim is somewhat trying, though I've have Thresh win me the game by Lanterning in the horse before so that's really funny. (Usually he pulls elise and she instantly dies which is less funny.)

I think if you did two things:
1- Make Vile Feast target enemy only
2- Make Glimpse slow

SI is fixed. Every single SI deck uses these cards, even decks who have no need to run spiders. They're being used to unlock 'on ally death' too cheaply and make chump blocking too good (as the blocker does not need to be alive when the attack round resolves, only have been placed in the block slot.) If you want to glimpse your spider, that spider should not also be able to block on that turn. The efficiency is just too high compared to any other region.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 6, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Hecarim is pretty nutty for not even needing a level up, to compare, Darius is a 6/5 to 10/5 overwhelm for 6 mana on the condition you are already winning the game.

Hecarim is a 4/6 to 5/7 overwhelm that also summons two 3/2 ephemeral's or on levelup two 5/2 ephemeral that also buffs any others on board, so just out of the box hecarim is harder to kill and showing more damage that needs to be blocked.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Glimpse Beyond being slow would completely wreck the point of the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I think there just needs to be a general rules change to where blockers aren't set until after you confirm your block action.