Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

One sad but hilarious part of this temporary blog are the absolutely terrible illustrations that accompany the posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

howe_sam posted:

What do you mean used to? They put out a new one a week ago talking about the Baseball Hall of Fame. The holiday foods draft they did with Nick Offerman, Brandon McCarthy, Alan Sepinwall, Mike Dicenzo, Linda Holmes and Megan Amram by proxy in December was one of the funniest things I listened to all year. Brandon McCarthy got things derailed immediately by selecting Duck l'orange first overall and Schur has a massive hissy fit about potatoes.

Well I might have to check it out. The episodes got so sporadic that I guess I unsubscribed.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

AndrewP posted:

One sad but hilarious part of this temporary blog are the absolutely terrible illustrations that accompany the posts.

I love them so much.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Unnamed Sports Blog was a Good Blog.

I'm glad it's staying up for now, though.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

Unnamed Sports Blog was a Good Blog.

I'm glad it's staying up for now, though.

We had Deadspin back for a weekend and it was a very good weekend.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AndrewP posted:

I assume its because they didn't buy any rights to getty or anything, and the mspaint renditions was a pretty awesome workaround. I absolutely loved it.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lockback posted:

I assume its because they didn't buy any rights to getty or anything, and the mspaint renditions was a pretty awesome workaround. I absolutely loved it.

The illustration of the Chiefs trick play on 4th and 1 in their first TD drive (where the whole backfield did a 360) was hilarious.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
The best one was one they didn't even use:

https://twitter.com/MadBastardsAll/status/1224411132204666880

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Please (don't get) clap

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Island Nation posted:

Please (don't get) clap

https://twitter.com/TQSherwood/status/1224146997566898176?s=19

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Please fap.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/lgbtqfc/status/1224147208947359744

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

There have been worse uniting causes, I'm sure

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
For those with a subscription to the athletic, here's a great read about the Seattle NHL's team name and it's relationship to erotic hockey novels:

https://theathletic.com/1580323/2020/02/03/the-story-of-the-romance-writer-in-the-middle-of-seattles-nhl-name-debate/

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

seiferguy posted:

For those with a subscription to the athletic, here's a great read about the Seattle NHL's team name and it's relationship to erotic hockey novels:

https://theathletic.com/1580323/2020/02/03/the-story-of-the-romance-writer-in-the-middle-of-seattles-nhl-name-debate/

Is there a historical reason or something why they'd go with Sockeyes?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

morestuff posted:

Is there a historical reason or something why they'd go with Sockeyes?

Sockeye salmon is one of the most common fish served in Seattle. Local Native American art features the salmon a lot too.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

HOW DO YOU GET POWER PLAY WRONG?! C'MON MAN!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

habeasdorkus posted:

the editor was barry petchesky

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Sockeye salmon is one of the most common fish served in Seattle. Local Native American art features the salmon a lot too.

Ya but orcas eat salmon and the canucks logo is an orca and kraken eats the orca so

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Nothing eats orcas. Canucks were canny in getting themselves an apex predator. Unlike Nashville, which got themselves non-differentiated ones.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

NHL Apex predators
Canucks (orcas)
Bruins (ursus arctos horribilis)
Preds (smilodon fatalis)
Kings (l'etat c'est moi)
Devils (prey on mankinds' souls)

Panthers don't get in, they're occasionally eaten by lions and tigers.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

habeasdorkus posted:

NHL Apex predators
Canucks (orcas)
Preds (smilodon fatalis)
Kings (l'etat c'est moi)

Islanders are decomposers.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
NJ Devils are named after a mythological creature that's half horse half bat half demon

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

NHL Apex predators
Canucks (orcas)
Preds (smilodon fatalis)
Kings (l'etat c'est moi)

The Wild contain all apex predators within their vast domain.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That's true about the Wild, but those apex predators make up a vanishingly small part of the whole. Like, fractions of a percent. The Wild is mostly, like, lichen.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

NHL Apex predators
Canucks (orcas)
Preds (smilodon fatalis)
Kings (l'etat c'est moi)

Sharks, bjtch

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Dolphins murder the ever living crap out of sharks. And I'm sure an orca (Canuck) wouldn't have any trouble with a wee little Cartilaginous fish, regardless of how mant layers of teeth it has. Also I'd like to submit Rangers for consideration; Rangers almost always have guns, and therefore can kill anything. Case closed.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

DildenAnders posted:

Dolphins murder the ever living crap out of sharks. And I'm sure an orca (Canuck) wouldn't have any trouble with a wee little Cartilaginous fish, regardless of how mant layers of teeth it has. Also I'd like to submit Rangers for consideration; Rangers almost always have guns, and therefore can kill anything. Case closed.

They gotta leave their guns at the border. Then a Jets would zoom and boom em

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

habeasdorkus posted:

Chances are that name was used already

I thought it might possibly even have been used in that series of erotic novels but then I checked and nope

"Crashing The Net" is a pretty good title for this sort of thing, though, not gonna lie

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/pkafka/status/1225027279782404096
https://twitter.com/pkafka/status/1225029870201208832

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So will it be exclusive to Spotify

Making your podcast platform exclusive seems like a woefully bad idea but what do I know.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 5, 2020

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They keep doing cool sounding limited pods that require me to pay for Luminary so this is preferable to me. But I hope it doesnt mean anything bad for the writers.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

euphronius posted:

So will it be exclusive to Spotify

Making your podcast platform exclusive seems like a woefully bad idea but what do I know.

The other podcast networks they've bought haven't been

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MourningView posted:

The other podcast networks they've bought haven't been
Yeah

that article posted:

Spotify hasnt spelled out what it intends to do with The Ringers catalog of existing podcasts and content, but it would be surprising if it made them exclusive to the streaming platform. When it purchased Gimlet Media last year, it kept that podcast companys stuff available on all platforms.
I suspect they'll end up with a free tier and a paid tier, so most of Simmons's stuff will be available freely, but some things will be paywalled. Hell, lots of other podcasts I listen to (that aren't likely to be acquired for nine figures) have exclusive content for their Patreon supporters; this'll be no different.

My guess: The weekly Bill-free-associates-about-things with one of his employees (or college friends, or relatives) podcast will continue to be free, while ones where Bill talks to a famous athlete and other special Bill projects will be paywalled (if they had done this deal a year ago, I'd bet The Book Of Basketball 2.0 would be paid-tier). If you're a real Simmons-head and you need to hear his thoughts about everything, you'll bone out for the paid tier (and the paid tier will be mercilessly plugged during his free-tier podcasts).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Heres whats going on in Maven land:

https://twitter.com/laurawags/status/1224890897034358784?s=21

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm the "2 two male rappers"

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

It may be because I work in media, but to me bad editing (or no editing, in this case) is worse than wrong opinions.

(I'm the 49'ers.)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
ah yes nashville sound instead of that dreaded hip hop where instead of girls talking about their hips its dudes talking about how much they love date rape

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Idk, yeah it comes off as a bit crotchety, but I think he has correctly identified the NFL's messaging problem: it's far too diverse and not nearly jingoistic enough. Hell, with war with Iran possibly on the horizon, how in white Jesus's good name did they leave Pat Tillman's grave unexposed?!?!
/s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

Hola SEA!

Peanut President posted:

ah yes nashville sound instead of that dreaded hip hop where instead of girls talking about their hips its dudes talking about how much they love date rape

Is that a...common theme in pop country?