Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Obra Dinn made me feel obra dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
the only thing I didn't like about Obra Dinn was that so much information is contained in the living quarters with the hammocks

other than that I wish I could forget I played it so I could play it again; great concept and execution

god it's good

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mercury Crusader posted:

I need objective evidence to prove what the best console ever is. The most objective of facts. Show your work.

the wii u lets me play retro games up through itself except for a handful of n64 games and the 3ds, bless the wii u

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
making a good puzzle game is hard as hell because even a single bad puzzle ruins the whole thing because you stop trusting the game.

Riven was my favorite of the 90s Myst-likes and maybe the only one which I thought was an unqualified great game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the best console ever was probably the gamecube because when i had a wii i used it to play more gamecube games and ports from non-wii games than anything else

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

the only thing I didn't like about Obra Dinn was that so much information is contained in the living quarters with the hammocks

other than that I wish I could forget I played it so I could play it again; great concept and execution

god it's good

I solved everything without even catching on to this clue

Would've made everything a lot easier if I had tho lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Looper posted:

but also lmao that talking about politics or the fast food companies themselves is against the rules

Keep your politics outta my factory-farm corn subsidized labor law violating multinational corporate product talk! :argh:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
but seriously it's probably the PS2 yeah

even if I personally would entertain the thought that the Gamecube and Dreamcast or whatever had more interesting games ultimately the massive install base, long viable life, and fact that everyone and their game dev grandma was putting out stuff for it means that the PS2 is gonna win

whatever kind of games you wanna play the PS2 had a mess of great ones on it, dang

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

The live dioramas can contain information that the journal doesn't. Sometimes you need context to make a deduction- who is associating with who, who's standing where and what are they doing, what objects or articles of clothing do they possess. The scenes can also inform other scenes through stuff happening in the background that isn't directly related to the death the scene is centered on, make sure you're exploring the whole navigable area.

I do wish it was more convenient to get to the memories buried several layers deep, there should probably have been a journal feature that let you jump straight into them.

After you've seen those memories for the first time, a ghostly body should appear where they died.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hwurmp posted:

After you've seen those memories for the first time, a ghostly body will appear where they died.

I was thinking specifically of the lifeboat expedition, I never found a better way to access it than walking through each diorama to gradually move away from the ship.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Don't their bodies get laid out on the deck?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

feel like the Famicom was a big unifying force that had a previously unseen install base compared to other systems/computers though

even if yeah it was mostly the US market that was turned off of home videogames due to all the garbage that came out previously

the nes was a big nothing in europe, the sms even sold more, but both were eclipsed by pc systems. it was more the megadrive the next gen that did that, and then to a far greater extent the ps1.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lol I said "get laid" :quagmire:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The NES was massive in the UK.

No one gave a gently caress about the snes though.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Welp over the weekend I gave The Witcher 3 another try. I really was not a huge fan at all the first time I played. I didn't like Geralt, the world seemed overly confusing and not well explained, and the controls and battle system I both hated. I didn't like the witcher sense and how all the quests seemed to be 'follow the glowy bits'

All of these complaints they either fixed or I was playing it wrong. This is a game that *demands* you take your time to enjoy it. The way that each area has these 'subplots' that tie through completely unrelated sidequests is fantastic (for example the hansel and gretel witches in Velen). Geralt is actually a pretty cool dude, and I like the world - watching the show (why I decided to give this another shot) and reading all the books and doing all the sidequests makes a HUGE difference. Playing on Hard difficulty means that I haven't overleveled 90% of my massive sidequest list, another big complaint I had last time I played - felt like it was hurrying me along. For some reason Geralt seems to control better - last time I played the Alternative mode had just been introduced and it feels way better than that so I guess they improved it? Also Witcher Sense is much much much less annoying when you can just tap it to get highlights and not have to deal with the obnoxious fisheye - unless that option was there prevously and I missed it.

Anyway. Everyone is right. This game is a masterpiece. If you like RPGs there is no excuse to not have played it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Cowcaster posted:

remember how bigoted assholes tommy tallarico and doug tennapel and a bunch of other earthworm jim/shiny crewmembers are attempting to relaunch a new generation intellivision

I'll be surprised if that thing actually is released because I feel like it's a weird take-the-money-and-run scam those guys are operating.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'll be surprised if that thing actually is released because I feel like it's a weird take-the-money-and-run scam those guys are operating.

i'm thinking more nokia ngage than ouya

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

this is in no small part due to nintendo being so awful at handling the european region for so long

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The NES was massive in the UK.

No one gave a gently caress about the snes though.

nes was still outsold by the sms and the amiga and c64 in the uk tho

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I forgot if the Atari ST was big in the UK but iirc it was definitely big in parts of mainland Europe, Germany in particular

also it's still used for electronic music sequencing lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Monkey Fracas posted:

god it's good

I figured out the 4 indian dudes who were sick based on their bunk #s. And there are 3 Russians that I will come back to at some point. I'm still working my way back through all the memories and figuring out how people died. I didn't do it the first time through because I just wanted to fill the journal ASAP once I realized how I couldn't truly play until that was done.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Hwurmp posted:

After you've seen those memories for the first time, a ghostly body should appear where they died.

Not all of them. There are 3 on the rowboats that can only be accessed from one of the other bodies memories.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I forgot if the Atari ST was big in the UK but iirc it was definitely big in parts of mainland Europe, Germany in particular

also it's still used for electronic music sequencing lol

It was always second fiddle to the Amiga in the UK

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

uk was weird because it had a ridiculously large amount of uk made PC systems and they all did pretty well, as did the other options from outside the uk, but everything just got destroyed by the amiga in the end

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

My weakness as a gamer is that I have no knowledge of all these hosed up non Nintendo/Sega consoles from the 80s

jaguar?? colecovision??? what the gently caress

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Amiga was always the thing that friends with cool older brothers had when I was a kid

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I remember finding old computer mags in the library as a child that referenced mythological machines such as the Vic 20 and Apple II.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think I saw an Amiga once. I did have a friend who had a TG-16, though. Which at the time didn't seem strange but looking back is weird as hell.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Obra Dinn made me feel obra dumb

Not sure how I feel about this latest Beatles mashup.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Oh the guy I sit next to at work has told me about owning a dragon 32 when he was a kid and if i didn't look it up I'd think he was lying

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I did not find the numbered hammocks for a shamefully long time and that held me up a lot.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I had an Amiga 500 and later an Amiga 1200 with a Blizzard 030 turbo with 4MB of extra RAM. They were pretty cool machines, although all ports of action games sucked on them because of the 1 button joystick.

Keyboard & mouse games were fine though, and that probably is why took a liking to strategy games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What did the cliffyb tweet say? It looks like it was deleted.

Also sorry I kinda passed out sometime after the sad games question without even giving an example. I was watching some of the cutscenes leading up to the ending of shadow hearts covenant and just the way everything was done and came together and the use of the music and scenery was enough to make me tear up. Such a good series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

making a good puzzle game is hard as hell because even a single bad puzzle ruins the whole thing because you stop trusting the game.

That never seemed to bother Sierra.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1225099605693620233?s=19

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Seems like a good policy to me.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
gaming in 80's Eurozone is an inscrutable puzzle to me

there was the Amiga and then approximately like 80 other PCs capable of running games that got things developed for/ported to them

I definitely take the more-less unified computer architecture/OS environment of today for granted; poo poo seemed like a real mess back then

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

anyone old enough to have used the tape cassettes for loading games they were a bit before my time and also mainly a europe thing i think

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Monkey Fracas posted:

gaming in 80's Eurozone is an inscrutable puzzle to me

there was the Amiga and then approximately like 80 other PCs capable of running games that got things developed for/ported to them

I definitely take the more-less unified computer architecture/OS environment of today for granted; poo poo seemed like a real mess back then

the C64 was the big one (and the Amiga/ST in the later 80s/early 90s), but there was a lot of regional variation. Also fun stuff like where the Spectrum was big in the UK but also "big" in markets where someone decided to sell a cloned knockoff of it.

TBH it was the same deal in the US for quite a bit, it's just that mainstream gaming in the US migrated to consoles one generation earlier than it did in the UK because of the NES becoming a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Seems like a good policy to me.

Not really, unless you think video games are actual poison and you don't trust children or their parents to be able to handle themselves.