Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Solkanar512 posted:

Just got three fruit trees in the ground, my plans to eliminate my lawn are coming along nicely.

Apple tree: Fuji, Gala, Mcintosh, Braeburn and Honeycrisp
Cherry tree: Bing, Sweetheart, Royal Ann and Black Tartaran
Peach: Reliance

All these are sweet/eating fruit rather than cooking fruit (though it won't stop me from making pies!).

drat a dream of mine is to have a bunch of fruit trees in my yard, good stuff

All our hyacinths and daffodils are poppin hard but weirdly no crocus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Solkanar512 posted:

Just got three fruit trees in the ground, my plans to eliminate my lawn are coming along nicely.

Apple tree: Fuji, Gala, Mcintosh, Braeburn and Honeycrisp
Cherry tree: Bing, Sweetheart, Royal Ann and Black Tartaran
Peach: Reliance

All these are sweet/eating fruit rather than cooking fruit (though it won't stop me from making pies!).

I’ve got 20 apple trees coming in the next several weeks that I’m gonna espalier on the side of my house.

I also ordered 2 tart cherry trees (Montmorency and Balaton) and 2 peach trees (Elberta and Redhaven). The peach trees are gonna be a tight squeeze because they’re standard size (I couldn’t get either variety in dwarf or semi-dwarf) and there’s not a ton of space left in my yard...... hopefully nobody will notice until they’re big and well-established. :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Eh, standard size trees are almost always better if you can keep up with the pruning.

Genetic dwarfs will bear more heavily as smaller size, so there’s a place for them, but I cannot abide dwarfing rootstock.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Well, my bulbs are coming up and looking like Spring has a good chance of being loving.

Snowdrops just starting to bloom.

Will post pics when I get time.

Are you located in coastal BC? My wife sent me photos of ours popping up last week, and I'm fearful we're going to get another cold snap, killing them all off.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
One thing I want to mention that wasn’t obvious to me is that when you’re destroying sod to replace with more respectable plants, using a mattock goes so much quicker than using a garden shovel.

Something like this:

The flat end just shears the sod right off the top and easily breaks up the soil below. This one has a dull axe end for cutting roots but you can also get them with a pick end if you have rocky soil. You can get them for around $30-40 at the hardware store. And yeah, my arms are sore, they’re hefty.

I. M. Gei posted:

I’ve got 20 apple trees coming in the next several weeks that I’m gonna espalier on the side of my house.

I also ordered 2 tart cherry trees (Montmorency and Balaton) and 2 peach trees (Elberta and Redhaven). The peach trees are gonna be a tight squeeze because they’re standard size (I couldn’t get either variety in dwarf or semi-dwarf) and there’s not a ton of space left in my yard...... hopefully nobody will notice until they’re big and well-established. :v:

Wow, what an awesome project!

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 3, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Do y'all want the thread tag changed from "poo poo post" to something else? Or are you happy with the manure -> plants association.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jaded Burnout posted:

Do y'all want the thread tag changed from "poo poo post" to something else? Or are you happy with the manure -> plants association.

The Gardening thread is already using FOOD, so let’s cause confusion by going with that.

I would suggest FRUITY, but that’s in use by the Sewing thread.

SLAYER

SEX

SCIENCE

all good options.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
There’s a real apropos one that just says “tree” but it might be locked up in fyad unless you grab tags from all over using mod magic

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oil of Paris posted:

There’s a real apropos one that just says “tree” but it might be locked up in fyad unless you grab tags from all over using mod magic

I'll talk to the admins

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Oil of Paris posted:

I can tell you where it is if that helps.

It’s at https://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/fyad-tree.gif

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Hmm. Let's see if I can do some cathax.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

That'll be a no, I can only assign tags that are available in DIY, even with full firewall bypasses in maximum effect. I'll talk to the admins about updating our available tags.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

I can tell you where it is if that helps.

It’s at https://fi.somethingawful.com/forums/posticons/fyad-tree.gif

Jaded Burnout posted:

Hmm. Let's see if I can do some cathax.

Hah awesome

Edit: well poo poo lol

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 3, 2020

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Oil of Paris posted:

Hah awesome

Edit: well poo poo lol

If the hax worked the thing I'd need is actually the tag ID, but I tested with one we don't have access to and it didn't work so

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

If the hax worked the thing I'd need is actually the tag ID, but I tested with one we don't have access to and it didn't work so

Makes sense, hopefully admins will send it over to DIY choices :qfg:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I found the tree via the Internet Archive’s index, by the way. There are over seven hundred icons in there.

BYOB has an apple that I envy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jaded Burnout posted:

That'll be a no, I can only assign tags that are available in DIY, even with full firewall bypasses in maximum effect. I'll talk to the admins about updating our available tags.

If it’s the same amount of work for the administrators, obviously this calls for a

:siren: new thread tag contest :siren:

I shouldn’t have suggested that. I don’t have the authority implement it or the artistic ability to participate.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Platystemon posted:

If it’s the same amount of work for the administrators, obviously this calls for a

:siren: new thread tag contest :siren:

I shouldn’t have suggested that. I don’t have the authority implement it or the artistic ability to participate.

why you put this hex on me

the gang tag contest took months

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Biotruths

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Wildflower seeds came in and after vacation, I'll be looking into getting an electric tiller to tear up some of the grass to sow. Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm looking at https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Joe-TJ603E-Electric-Cultivator/dp/B00V6IEVXM

I know I can rent one for cheaper, but I'd like to own one to let others borrow,

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Eehhh, I don't trust the electric ones. They seem born to break. We went through three of them in three years at the farm.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

drat a dream of mine is to have a bunch of fruit trees in my yard, good stuff

Same, but all I planted are crocuses. There's one daffodil that escaped the great front bed purge, swaying defiantly by the steps and mocking my ambitions.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
OK so I have a mostly California native front garden because I am lazy and it's more sustainable.

Having talked to the specialty nursery here in LA that the plants are from, they're saying that ideally for these plants, you water less often, more deeply. Like, it's better to water 20 minutes every 2 weeks than to water for 5 minutes three times a week. My garden is pretty small, like 25 x 25 total, and I have 20 or so plants spaced a few feet apart, with landscaping fabric covering all the ground between and then wood chips over that.

The nursery recommended either an oscillator or a bubbler to ensure some deep watering. I feel like an oscillating sprinkler would be wasteful, as much of the water is going to through the chips, and the fabric, before it reaches the ground. It seems like a bubbler sprinkler next to the plants might be a way, but that also sounds like moving a sprinkler around 20 times.

Am I thinking about this wrong?

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Jaxyon posted:

OK so I have a mostly California native front garden because I am lazy and it's more sustainable.

Having talked to the specialty nursery here in LA that the plants are from, they're saying that ideally for these plants, you water less often, more deeply. Like, it's better to water 20 minutes every 2 weeks than to water for 5 minutes three times a week. My garden is pretty small, like 25 x 25 total, and I have 20 or so plants spaced a few feet apart, with landscaping fabric covering all the ground between and then wood chips over that.

The nursery recommended either an oscillator or a bubbler to ensure some deep watering. I feel like an oscillating sprinkler would be wasteful, as much of the water is going to through the chips, and the fabric, before it reaches the ground. It seems like a bubbler sprinkler next to the plants might be a way, but that also sounds like moving a sprinkler around 20 times.

Am I thinking about this wrong?

I agree with you about how much water would be wasted, but I'll be interested to hear others' opinions. I wonder if a nice long soaker hose might do the job? For a frequency of once every couple of weeks, you might not even have to embed it; you might be able to just drape it strategically and roll it up afterwards.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Set up a drip system. You can supply it from the spigot, with or without a timer.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Platystemon posted:

Set up a drip system. You can supply it from the spigot, with or without a timer.

Drip systems are not recommended for these types of plants.

I'm not an expert, but the lady I talked to was and she said basically you water deeply, infrequently, until the plants get established, then after that you rarely water at all.

edit: Double checked, and drip irrigation *done the correct way* can be used but the goal is to get the root systems go deep downwards.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 4, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

B33rChiller posted:

Are you located in coastal BC? My wife sent me photos of ours popping up last week, and I'm fearful we're going to get another cold snap, killing them all off.

Yep. And yep, I'm a little fearful too, although most of these are at least frost resistant. (I have some photos of crocuses from a couple of years ago literally blooming in the middle of the snow). It's really more when it hits -10 that things start dying off.

Also, this week was supposed to get cold, but now doesn't look like it'll drop below zero, so fingers crossed.

I put some crocuses underneath the lawn. It's been super hard to spot them again, since the individual plants are super grass-like. When they pop, it'll be pretty magical though.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Forecast for the BC south coast is 5-15cm of snow tomorrow. Hold onto your butts (bulbs)!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jaxyon posted:

Drip systems are not recommended for these types of plants.

I'm not an expert, but the lady I talked to was and she said basically you water deeply, infrequently, until the plants get established, then after that you rarely water at all.

edit: Double checked, and drip irrigation *done the correct way* can be used but the goal is to get the root systems go deep downwards.

I am somewhat confused by the idea of “either an oscillator or a bubbler to ensure some deep watering”.

Maybe the problem is that drip systems are often run multiple times per week for a short period each day. Drip is a must for that kind of thing, but there’s no reason you can’t run a drip system longer and less frequently.

Once it’s in the ground, water is water.

Where it gets into the ground can matter. Drip systems don’t wet leaves, which is usually good for preventing rot, but some plants appreciate the misting. Sprinklers can also carry fertiliser to the plant for foliar application; drip emitters can only deliver it to the roots.

Sometimes you want the surface of the soil to be moist everywhere, e.g. because you’ve sown seed. That’s another thing drip can’t do well.

Mulch does help spread water before it hits topsoil.

If you need a lot of coverage, but don’t require sprinklers, there is the option of drip tubing with emitters moulded into the wall at regular intervals. They come in a variety of spacing and flow rates.

In my opinion, drip tubing is almost always better than soaker hoses. You do have to put a simple filter and pressure regulator inline, but once you do that, it’s more consistent, longer‐lasting, and more adaptable than a soaker hose.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
You could always get a few plastic bucket with a lid and a small hole in the bottom, depending on the size and number of plants you have. This is normally done for trees, but the idea is that you fill them up in the evening, let them sit and all the water goes into the ground.

But to be honest, if we’re only talking about a 25’x25’ area, it’s not so bad to sit there in the evening and just hand water for 20 or 30 minutes. It might seem like a lot of water now, but this is temporary.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Last year, my wife bought me a couple grow lamps so I could keep my jades from getting leggy over the winter.

This year, being sick of the colour these things give off, I picked up some cheap, bright, cool white led fixtures, and wired them up to a lamp plug, and inline switch. They're quite a bit brighter, and much easier on the eyes.

Bonus plants: discount tulip bulbs purchased laaaaaate, then chilled in the fridge just started blooming.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've been given a glimpse behind the curtain at how thread tags work, and by god it's another radium special.

Please stand by while I build up the resilience to start a separate thread tag thread.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

B33rChiller posted:

Last year, my wife bought me a couple grow lamps so I could keep my jades from getting leggy over the winter.

This year, being sick of the colour these things give off, I picked up some cheap, bright, cool white led fixtures, and wired them up to a lamp plug, and inline switch. They're quite a bit brighter, and much easier on the eyes.

Bonus plants: discount tulip bulbs purchased laaaaaate, then chilled in the fridge just started blooming.

Did the lights seem to help much compared to other winters?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Platystemon posted:

I am somewhat confused by the idea of “either an oscillator or a bubbler to ensure some deep watering”.

Maybe the problem is that drip systems are often run multiple times per week for a short period each day. Drip is a must for that kind of thing, but there’s no reason you can’t run a drip system longer and less frequently.

Once it’s in the ground, water is water.

Where it gets into the ground can matter. Drip systems don’t wet leaves, which is usually good for preventing rot, but some plants appreciate the misting. Sprinklers can also carry fertiliser to the plant for foliar application; drip emitters can only deliver it to the roots.

Sometimes you want the surface of the soil to be moist everywhere, e.g. because you’ve sown seed. That’s another thing drip can’t do well.

Mulch does help spread water before it hits topsoil.

If you need a lot of coverage, but don’t require sprinklers, there is the option of drip tubing with emitters moulded into the wall at regular intervals. They come in a variety of spacing and flow rates.

In my opinion, drip tubing is almost always better than soaker hoses. You do have to put a simple filter and pressure regulator inline, but once you do that, it’s more consistent, longer‐lasting, and more adaptable than a soaker hose.

I don't know what I'm talking about here, but what I remembered was similar to what this says:

https://www.cnps.org/gardening/prepping-and-planting/watering

Which is that done improperly, it keeps water widely dispersed and near the surface, so that roots go wide instead of deep

My garden looks somewhat like this(though not as nice):

I think the lady at the nursery was suggesting an oscillator or bubbler because most people who hand water are too impatient to water long enough so it's better to run things that can just be set and let go for a bit.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Did the lights seem to help much compared to other winters?
Very much so.
You could say the difference was night and day :rimshot:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've been given a glimpse behind the curtain at how thread tags work, and by god it's another radium special.

Please stand by while I build up the resilience to start a separate thread tag thread.

Thanks.

I’m looking forward to it.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Jaded Burnout posted:

lol I had a feeling it would end up like this

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Finally seeing some buds start to come out which is great. 2019 was a tough plant year between the insanely hot and dry summer plus the regular ravages of deer/bunnies. We had a lot of fallen soldiers along the way this time around, even before the hardcore frosts came unseasonably early. Real happy to see some survivors managed to pull through all the bull poo poo!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My new goji berry bush is finally sprouting its first leaves! :D

Looks like it’s about time to plant!

So I guess I might as well go ahead and throw away that other b-

........................ poo poo

Well, it’s bigger and further along than the new one, so I should probably plant it first. Only thing is it’s been indoors for about a week now. Do I need to start all over hardening it off from the beginning before I plant it, or just pick up about where I left off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Christ, good thing I got those trees in the ground, since the start of the year we’ve had 37% of our yearly expected rainfall, and only two days without measurable rain.

Thank god for well draining loam.