Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The_Doctor posted:

Rumour says $70?

I hope so. that would be great!

I'm just losing faith in Lego to some degree. They seem to be very corporate $$$ driven recently. I mean, of course they are but to a bad degree.

Also, after the disappointment that was the bookshop, especially at it's price, I'm just hoping for something that is a good value for the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I hope so. that would be great!

I'm just losing faith in Lego to some degree. They seem to be very corporate $$$ driven recently. I mean, of course they are but to a bad degree.

Also, after the disappointment that was the bookshop, especially at it's price, I'm just hoping for something that is a good value for the cost.

The Tie Dagger / Sith Tie still seems like a peak example of insane gouging. It's sub 500 parts, looks anemic, yet breaks 100$ CAD.

The Fiat looks okay, and if it comes in under 100$ I guess that won't be too bad, but it certainly feels like a step down from the Mustang. Also, because my car knowledge is very limited, I see a dinky euro car and immediately start thinking of the Reliant Robin, and I'm almost sad that was not the Top Gear tie-in set.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

LEGO doesn’t really gouge that bad unless it’s a Star Wars or Disney that I’ve noticed. Star Wars pricing is disgusting at this point though. Feels like it’s at nearly a 50% markup from other sets.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Brickset allows you to sort sets by price per piece, so I glanced at the mathematical worst values of 2019 according to PPP. I'm omitting the following: single item sets like the BOOST thing, Duplo, collectible minifigs, pods and blister packs, Juniors (4+) sets, anything in a plastic box, and anything motorized.

Basically, it's Disney Princesses, Toy Story 4, and City that mostly fill the top of the list. A couple Friends and Marvel/DC sets up there, too. I would have expected Star Wars to place higher, but as bad of a value as those are, other Disney properties (and much of City) are even worse!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm guessing city is expensive because of all the minifigs?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I’ve noticed that if a City set has a really bad price to part ratio there’s usually a reason like big, specialized parts or tons of mini figures

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah I’ve noticed that if a City set has a really bad price to part ratio there’s usually a reason like big, specialized parts or tons of mini figures

loving city sets screwing over the working man, leaving us with no other choice

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Lmao.

Is that your own killdozer MOC?

Nice work. :killdozer:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

God drat that's wonderful. Please tell me there's a minifig in there with it's head off.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The time has come.

(not mine)

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Clikits are making a comeback.

https://www.newelementary.com/2020/02/lego-dots-new-pieces-opalescence.html

I might pick up some boosters to get printed tiles.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Those look much more versatile than Clikits - I imagine MOC creators will be happy with the injection of more tiles into the market.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Carbohydrates posted:

Brickset allows you to sort sets by price per piece, so I glanced at the mathematical worst values of 2019 according to PPP. I'm omitting the following: single item sets like the BOOST thing, Duplo, collectible minifigs, pods and blister packs, Juniors (4+) sets, anything in a plastic box, and anything motorized.

Basically, it's Disney Princesses, Toy Story 4, and City that mostly fill the top of the list. A couple Friends and Marvel/DC sets up there, too. I would have expected Star Wars to place higher, but as bad of a value as those are, other Disney properties (and much of City) are even worse!

All of the toy story 4 sets were junior (4+) sets with big base honk of plastic pieces that would be tens of pieces in most other sets. They’re like one foot in a duplo set one foot in a regular set. I was skeptical at first but my kid is in love with those sets. Parts wise not generally great value though some of the printed pieces are interesting, not a single sticker in the sets we’ve built. The buzz coaster has some track pieces and was marked down to a good deal at one point.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

OSU_Matthew posted:

loving city sets screwing over the working man, leaving us with no other choice

This does not spark joy.

The_Doctor posted:

The time has come.

(not mine)
This sparks joy.

Killdozer dude was a complete dick. It is really funny, tough.

Meanwhile: I completed l did the ISS tonight, and was pretty happy with how the build went. My solar panels look weird in a way that I can't quite put my finger on, though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Info on the next wave of Harry Potter sets

Eurobricks posted:

Here's some more info on the builds of the sets:

Room of Requirement: 3 walls that can be folded out to form 1 long wall, 1 of the walls has a fireplace. The set itself can't be connected to Hogwarts so some modification is required

The Forbidden Forest: Grawp is build similairly to Ares from Wonder Woman. The Centaurs are ''minifigure torso's on a new horse body mold''

Escape from Privet Drive: the house has a fireplace, cupboard and Harry's bedroom. Some sources are saying Fred and George are included instead of Ron and Dobby

Hogwarts Astronomy Tower: includes the Astronomy classroom (top of the tower), Ravenclaw common room and Slughorn's office. There may be more figures than we currently know of, this is not confirmed. It's possibly the largest Hogwarts extension to date

Hedwig: Hedwig is 25 cm wide and is built with open wings. There's a Harry Potter figure included, possibly an exclusive

Advent Calendar: comes with a few exclusive figures. Price might be higher than last year

CMF: European price will be 4 euro, the US still has the $5 price

Some other details about minifigs etc elsewhere in the thread.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nth Doctor posted:

Meanwhile: I completed l did the ISS tonight, and was pretty happy with how the build went. My solar panels look weird in a way that I can't quite put my finger on, though.

I had to tediously space out the panels on the rods just right because too far apart and they look too empty, but too close they look rail thin and anemic. They have to be juuuuust right.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Info on the next wave of Harry Potter sets

Some other details about minifigs etc elsewhere in the thread.

Read this post all wrong, and for a moment was intrigued by the movie mashup of Forest Grawp.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Really nice bot design

https://twitter.com/katthogunner/status/1222134653768753152

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Yiggy posted:

All of the toy story 4 sets were junior (4+) sets with big base honk of plastic pieces that would be tens of pieces in most other sets. They’re like one foot in a duplo set one foot in a regular set. I was skeptical at first but my kid is in love with those sets. Parts wise not generally great value though some of the printed pieces are interesting, not a single sticker in the sets we’ve built. The buzz coaster has some track pieces and was marked down to a good deal at one point.
Oh my bad. Was trying to avoid 4+ sets in the metrics cause they just always inherently have a high ppp. I'm glad your kid likes em! Some of those 4+ sets are actually really cool. I like that they always only have printed pieces.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/BrothersBrick/status/1225063956953346050

So the UCS voting results are in and it's... okay I guess.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Booooo

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

:hellyeah:

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I'm not surprised it won, I am surprised it had a majority!

I wouldn't be surprised if the other 2 are coming anyway. I imagine they are mostly designed if they were options in a contest. They aren't going to want that much time between the contest and the release.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I'm a sucker for gunships, so this doesn't really bother me at all. I prefer some UCS sized stuff with some level of usable interior, and while the Nebulon B would be neat, it would just be some empty display piece.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

sigher posted:

I had to tediously space out the panels on the rods just right because too far apart and they look too empty, but too close they look rail thin and anemic. They have to be juuuuust right.

I cheated a little bit, and held each long edge of the panel against the table top, and pressed so that the outer edges of the panels were even with the ends of the bars they were clipped to. I think what it is is that there's some slight bowing of the technic axle because the panels themselves are ever so slightly not the same length. I should see if I can adjust that.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Nth Doctor posted:

I cheated a little bit, and held each long edge of the panel against the table top, and pressed so that the outer edges of the panels were even with the ends of the bars they were clipped to. I think what it is is that there's some slight bowing of the technic axle because the panels themselves are ever so slightly not the same length. I should see if I can adjust that.
Indexing bars and axles against a hard surface is not cheating, it's The Correct Method

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's also how you align stacks of 1x1's. Mash the bricks together then press the flat firmly into the table.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cooked Auto posted:

:getin:

I voted for the Nebulon but I’m sure another big mass of fragile grey plates wouldn’t have sold as well as the LAAT or been as visually interesting. This UCS is going to have to be loving huge though if they want to make it substantially different from the existing gunship sets.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:getin:

I voted for the Nebulon but I’m sure another big mass of fragile grey plates wouldn’t have sold as well as the LAAT or been as visually interesting. This UCS is going to have to be loving huge though if they want to make it substantially different from the existing gunship sets.

I think that's the real problem is I just can't see how scaling it up would really make it any better. The last one they made is the right size to play with and it looks decent on display. Anything larger is just going to be a display piece and probably too large for minifigs, which, it's a troop transport and would be weird to have either no troops, or ones that are way too small.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

The_Doctor posted:

It’s nice, I’ll take it!

Circling back to this, and assuming this is in fact Bright Light Yellow, this represents an absolutely enormous expansion to the paltry range of parts currently available in the color. Just from eyeballing the box, I see all of these, none of which have yet been made in Bright Light Yellow:

92946 Slope 45 2 x 1 with 2/3 Cutout
Seen on rear quarter panel.

54200 Slope 30 1 x 1 x 2/3
Seen under A pillar.

29119 & 29120 Wedge 2 x 1 with Stud Notch Right / Left
Seen on rear quarter panel.

6060 Brick, Arch 1 x 6 x 3 1/3 Curved Top
Seen on C pillar.

62361 Vehicle, Mudguard 1 1/2 x 6 x 1 with Arch
Seen on wheelwells.

61678 Slope, Curved 4 x 1, I think? Could be 50950 Slope, Curved 3 x 1. Either would be new.
Seen above front bumper.

37352 Brick, Modified 1 x 2 x 1 No Studs, Curved Top
Seen along sides.

15068 Slope, Curved 2 x 2
Seen along sides, roof, and trunk.

3665 Slope, Inverted 45 2 x 1 or 3660 Slope, Inverted 45 2 x 2, either would be new.
Seen on rear wheelwells.

2429c01 Hinge Plate 1 x 4 Swivel Base with Same Color Hinge Plate 1 x 4 Swivel Top (2429 / 2430)
Seen as door hinges.

24201 Slope, Curved 2 x 1 Inverted (could be a regular 2 x 1 flipped upside down)
Seen under front bumper.

60478 Plate, Modified 1 x 2 with Handle on End - Closed Ends
Seen holding windscreen in place on top.

15712 Tile, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip - Rounded Edges
Seen holding windscreen in place on top.

41769 & 41770 Wedge, Plate 4 x 2 Right & Left
Seen on hood.

41747 & 41748 Wedge 6 x 2 Right & Left
Seen on hood.

87087 Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Stud on 1 Side (could instead be 11211 LegoBrick, Modified 1 x 2 with Studs on 1 Side or 26604 Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Studs on 2 Sides, Adjacent or I GUESS 30414 Brick, Modified 1 x 4 with 4 Studs on 1 Side. Any of the above would be new)
Seen holding rear cheese slope on front wheelwell.

52107 Brick, Modified 1 x 2 with Studs on 2 Sides (could also be 47905 Brick, Modified 1 x 1 with Studs on 2 Sides, Opposite)
Seen holding front cheese slope and turn indicator on front wheelwell.

effortposting is hard

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 5, 2020

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The_Doctor posted:

The time has come.

(not mine)

How in the hell have I never thought to use one of those clip bricks to hold the side of a flat brick, like the one holding the blade here? It seems so obvious to me now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s a legal connection even Lego have used before now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Dogen posted:

I think that's the real problem is I just can't see how scaling it up would really make it any better. The last one they made is the right size to play with and it looks decent on display. Anything larger is just going to be a display piece and probably too large for minifigs, which, it's a troop transport and would be weird to have either no troops, or ones that are way too small.

Maybe they’ll do it like the Slave I and build it in actual 1:1 minifig scale. It wouldn’t be a huge increase in size but then you could spend the extra parts on making the overall shape and details extremely accurate.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

The_Doctor posted:

It’s a legal connection even Lego have used before now.
It's "legal" by modern standards with tiles, but not with plates. Not that that matters at all! Go hog wild with it!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cooked Auto posted:

That thing sure is ugly.

I'd love a USC Naboo starfighter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That sucks. Really would have been into a UCS Tie Bomber. Well I guess that saves me at least 200 dollars. I guess people that like those bad movies finally have a real UCS set to buy, so good for them.

I hope they don't start crapping up the whole UCS line with prequel stuff now. it is a pretty cool ship though, I'll give it that.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 6, 2020

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The first episode of LEGO Masters wasn’t nearly as “reality tv” as I feared it would be. The episode felt a little rushed, with 10 teams to introduce, show their builds, and then show the final builds. There wasn’t much time for manufactured drama. There was a little bit of low key drama when some of the teammates butted heads a little. But nothing that you wouldn’t expect from something with time pressure.

It was rather impressive what some of the teams came up with in 15 hours. Some of the teams appeared to be genuinely complimentary towards the really good builds. And everyone seemed genuinely sad when something broke down during the review portion.

Spoilers for episode 2 preview: Episode 2 appears to be the show where they destroy the builds. But it looks like they inform the teams before they start that their builds are going to be creatively destroyed. Hopefully that removes a lot of the problems some people were having with the season previews.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Is there a way for non Americans to watch episodes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

No idea if you will need a VPN, but the episode is up for free on fox.com right now.

I have also heard that other countries have had LEGO Masters shows, so those might be easier to find.