Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
AD is just a giant jobs program for people the government would be taking care of one way or another :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

True. Pay them UBI and offer other social welfare programs so they can do more productive things than be in a full time military status.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 5, 2020

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Flying_Crab posted:

I’m trying to understand why we need a massive AD Army (particularly BCTs) in this day and age. Keep enough active around for training, intel, SOF, various support functions, etc. and enough active BCTs to give time to mobilize ARNG/Reserve units in the outbreak of an immediate conflict. We’d have to grow the ARNG first though I guess, maybe slowly convert active units to ARNG at their current locations.

We’d save assloads on housing lower enlisted and paying them to rake rocks 90% of the time.

Part of the problem is you need somewhere to train the BN and higher levels of staff. The Guard isn't good at that because company level is all they can usually get together for a drill weekend.

Using the ARNG runs into the problem of retention. How do you keep people in the Guard when the deployment cycle means constant interference in their civilian lives?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Pundit classes saying Secret Agent Butt won handily, momentum and now lease on life. Sanders nothing unexpected, meh, it’s a turnout thing.

It's almost like the results aren't being fully released so that this narrative can hang around. Weird. Maybe they'll finally get all the results in by the time of the convention?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Flying_Crab posted:

I’m trying to understand why we need a massive AD Army (particularly BCTs) in this day and age. Keep enough active around for training, intel, SOF, various support functions, etc. and enough active BCTs to give time to mobilize ARNG/Reserve units in the outbreak of an immediate conflict. We’d have to grow the ARNG first though I guess, maybe slowly convert active units to ARNG at their current locations.

We’d save assloads on housing lower enlisted and paying them to rake rocks 90% of the time.

it's a welfare program

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SimonCat posted:

Part of the problem is you need somewhere to train the BN and higher levels of staff. The Guard isn't good at that because company level is all they can usually get together for a drill weekend.

Using the ARNG runs into the problem of retention. How do you keep people in the Guard when the deployment cycle means constant interference in their civilian lives?

Ideally we wouldn't need to be deploying people because we'll finally end our occupation of various countries, but who am I kidding.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

SimonCat posted:

I did think of that and there’s no reason why we couldn’t run the ARNG units with a full time active/AGR BN & above staff.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Flying_Crab posted:

True. Pay them UBI and offer other social welfare programs so they can do more product things than be in a full time military status.

I agree this is what we SHOULD do, but realistically what percentage of our enlisted lifers who couldn't hack a job where they can get fired or don't have non-taxed entitlements will actually be productive? It's just a messy spot.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

it's a welfare program

Indeed. Bring back the Civilian Conservation Corps and WPA instead.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

I mean we could expand social welfare programs/services, invest in education, health care, housing and nutrition to everyone but clearly we can't afford that.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

I mean we could expand social welfare programs/services, invest in education, health care, housing and nutrition to everyone but clearly we can't afford that.

It would require taxing those poor, downtrodden captains of industry who are barely scraping by, braving providing us jobs.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'd be pretty nervous about handing over too much combat arms stuff to the guard.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

You guys are living in a fantasy world if you think that reserve combat arms is a good idea. Just look at 3/25 as one of many examples of why weekend warriors don’t make for good first line troops.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Hekk posted:

You guys are living in a fantasy world if you think that reserve combat arms is a good idea. Just look at 3/25 as one of many examples of why weekend warriors don’t make for good first line troops.

Or the marine reservists in Generation Kill.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Blowing up dirt is our social welfare program. Its just the most inefficient way possible of doing it.

Also while yes combat arms is not a job you can realistically outsource to the guard there really should be less use of combat arms in the world anyway so...?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Putting reservist units in place just sounds like different people to gently caress the same things up. You make it sound like your average unit is competent and not a turd just looking for some place to drop.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hey!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My deployed shop's two biggest idiots were both ARTs. Unfortunately one of them was NCOIC, and the other was his little toadie. The next two shittiest were a couple active duty guys who were both about to retire. One as a E6 because he had several EPRs that said he couldn't work with other people. The rest of us were all regular guardsmen who just wanted to get the job done and get back to our regular lives. I was just shocked that the two people I ended up hating the most were both guard, but that was largely a culture thing. Pretty much everyone I met from that wing was a piece of poo poo.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

So, uh, just hold the phone for a second. I missed the SOTU, and Rush Limbaugh got the Presidential Medal of Freedom?

:suicide:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So, uh, just hold the phone for a second. I missed the SOTU, and Rush Limbaugh got the Presidential Medal of Freedom?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
If I were president I'd be handing those things out like candy. Active duty military on X date? PMoF. Random White House tour group? PMoF. Anyone who got in the top bracket of the Presidential Fitness Test? PMoF.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd be pretty nervous about handing over too much combat arms stuff to the guard.

The Guard has all the combat arms, the Reserves have the support units.

This is getting into a bit of Active vs Guard dick waving. Active is better at higher level command functions because they exercise them regularly. The Guard can bring in a bit more common sense as they don't live their entire lives in a military setting.

Having AGR BN/BDE staff without full time troops to command really sounds like a way to let the Good Idea Fairy run rampant, the folks at the state JFHQ are bad enough.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A Bad Poster posted:

If I were president I'd be handing those things out like candy. Active duty military on X date? PMoF. Random White House tour group? PMoF. Anyone who got in the top bracket of the Presidential Fitness Test? PMoF.

Took out Tom Brady's knee? PMoF

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

My deployed shop's two biggest idiots were both ARTs. Unfortunately one of them was NCOIC, and the other was his little toadie. The next two shittiest were a couple active duty guys who were both about to retire. One as a E6 because he had several EPRs that said he couldn't work with other people. The rest of us were all regular guardsmen who just wanted to get the job done and get back to our regular lives. I was just shocked that the two people I ended up hating the most were both guard, but that was largely a culture thing. Pretty much everyone I met from that wing was a piece of poo poo.

How do you even get a bad EPR in this day and age?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

That Works posted:

Took out Tom Brady's knee? PMoF

Bernard Pollard is a national hero

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

CommieGIR posted:

Turns out some of the troops are jerks

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

maffew buildings posted:

I've brought this up before, but our European welfare states were built during the cold war when we spent a similar percentage of GDP on our militaries as the US does now, post cold war. There's no financial reason you couldn't have both.

Hell, as our (universal but not single payer) healthcare system is actually cheaper then yours, you could arguably even spend more on defense than you do now and come out ahead.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

And Melania put it on him.

https://twitter.com/TLCplMax/status/1225097206929096705?s=19

The one time I'm happy that lung cancer is supposedly very, very painful.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Or the marine reservists in Generation Kill.

Literally the first thing that came to mind.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

He was just that much of a douchebag, and I don't know how he didn't get pushed out earlier. I didn't mind him as much as some did since you could give him something to do by himself, and he would just quietly do it. But he sucked at working with anyone else and would make condescending remarks anyone regardless of rank.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

And Melania put it on him.

https://twitter.com/TLCplMax/status/1225097206929096705?s=19

The one time I'm happy that lung cancer is supposedly very, very painful.

It's not like he's a stranger to painkillers

SimonCat posted:

You say that, but it seems like most wars start off with anyone over Lieutenant having to unlearn most of what they know anyway. Would it really be much worse to start with a totally green staff?

brains
May 12, 2004

Prop Wash posted:

You say that, but it seems like most wars start off with anyone over Lieutenant having to unlearn most of what they know anyway. Would it really be much worse to start with a totally green staff?

emphatically yes, as demonstrated time and time again throughout history. unless you don't care about throwing away massive numbers of lives pointlessly right at the start of a conflict because the staff is loving stupid.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Duzzy Funlop posted:

He called women sluts for wanting birth control covered by the ACA, so in the eyes of Rapey Tinyhands he's a hero.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Mr. Nice! posted:

Ideally we wouldn't need to be deploying people because we'll finally end our occupation of various countries, but who am I kidding.

ARNG is going to have issues with recruitment and retention even without wars when M4A and free college becomes a thing.

Sure the military will get a few "defend our freedoms" recruits but I really don't see how it's going to maintain current numbers without a complete overhaul.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

shame on an IGA posted:

Public awareness of the true depths of elite depravity has moved so much since 2014 that the final episodes of Bojack Horseman had to do a retcon because his irredeemable sins from the first seasons don't seem so bad in comparison to real life

What did they do?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Cyks posted:

ARNG is going to have issues with recruitment and retention even without wars when M4A and free college becomes a thing.

Sure the military will get a few "defend our freedoms" recruits but I really don't see how it's going to maintain current numbers without a complete overhaul.

thats part of the benefit

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

BigDave posted:

He called women sluts for wanting birth control covered by the ACA, so in the eyes of Rapey Tinyhands he's a hero.

See, this is my favorite part:

But you like sluts, Rush/Trump. You've said so. So what's the problem here? Your guys ARE sluts.
Wouldn't birth control basically solve the need for you to have abortions with your many mistresses? What are you guys on about??

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Cyks posted:

My state is trying to hit me and about 150 others with a chargeback on our fall tuition for a new policy to use our FTA before the state guard scholarship program. I want to use my FTA in the summer at another university, but because I COULD use my FTA and didn't use my 1606 GI bill in the fall, they are saying they're going to charge that back from the school and make me pay it out of pocket. All because the FTA could pay instead of the state having to fund it (as they have agreed to in multiple contracts I have that pay no mention to this new policy).

If they actually push for it and try to charge me I'm going to seek legal counsel, thanks guard.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/yarabayoumy/status/1225133212969684992?s=19

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1225133956246507520?s=19

I didn't think he had it in him.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
The NYTimes covered a SotU watch party. It’s obviously CHUDs galore, but it’s made me realize that Trump is literally a god to them, they have a religious devotion. For all the atheists who criticize religion, who would have thought that a secular society would just lead to supporting an idol like him?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/05/us/politics/trump-supporters-impeachment.html?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage