Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
As if all of you are forgetting about Die Hard Arcade (aka Dynamite Deka in Japan). Disappointed in all of you.

wikipedia posted:

Quick Time Events are interspersed between many of the scenes. Failing a Quick Time Event results in either a loss of health, as is usual for QTEs, or an additional action scene which the players otherwise would not have to complete.

I always saw this game running the attract reel as I walked by it as a kid, never had the money to actually play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

If you can find it, check our Channel Zero (tv series). The first season is based around a kids show that hits the same buttons.

Little things: Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet

Just :discourse:

Threshold Kids feels so much like its the product of one lone dude getting sign-off on his idea, then locking himself away for a week and going completely off the loving rails. If anything, it's more impressive if its the result of carefully planned project management.

Candle Cove kinda fell apart in the final few episodes (minor spoiler/rant: if your story is based around an unknowable and mysteriously appearing TV show, you really don't need to explain where it comes from. Completely wrecked the feel of it) but god drat did it nail the show.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Threshold Kids feels so much like its the product of one lone dude getting sign-off on his idea, then locking himself away for a week and going completely off the loving rails. If anything, it's more impressive if its the result of carefully planned project management.

If I recall correctly, the only explanation you get for Threshold Kids is a single, liberally-redacted memo. It basically confirms that it's just, like, one guy deciding that, when the Department of Control ends up having to take care of a kid, they should probably try to teach them with children's entertainment. So he turns 'my buddy Dave has a camera' and some community center workshops on puppet-making into THAT.

It's also, weirdly enough, perhaps one of the only pieces of weird set dressing stuff in Control that actually gains considerable meaning later in the game, although without ever directly stating anything. They made Threshold Kids for Dylan, Jesse's brother, after kidnapping him. It's grooming him to take on the Director position, as well as to foster distrust in Jesse; the girl is always the doubtful and incorrect Goofus to the smart and trusting boy's Gallant, because she's meant to be Jesse.

Morpheus posted:

As if all of you are forgetting about Die Hard Arcade (aka Dynamite Deka in Japan). Disappointed in all of you.

I always saw this game running the attract reel as I walked by it as a kid, never had the money to actually play.

I only just remembered this existed and I love it. It's actually a series, there were three of them, but the other two removed the Die Hard licensing while still being very obviously Die Hard. The sequels are called Dynamite Cop and Asian Dynamite; they've never been re-released, but their not-John McClane protagonist did appear in the original Project X Zone, for some reason.

It's one of those singularly weird points in gaming that I'm eternally happy to know about, but have no interest whatsoever in playing myself.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 13:50 on Feb 5, 2020

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I love the weird arc QTEs have taken where now thanks to accessibility options in most games letting you disable them entirely and the game having to accommodate that they've basically become vestigial. Future generations will probably look back on them the same way we look back at arcade hang-ons like lives and points in 8- and 16-bit games.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Candle Cove kinda fell apart in the final few episodes (minor spoiler/rant: if your story is based around an unknowable and mysteriously appearing TV show, you really don't need to explain where it comes from. Completely wrecked the feel of it) but god drat did it nail the show.

I mean, only the first episode was really about the Candle Cove show itself and it ended exactly like the original creepypasta did. The entire show was about taking horror microfiction and using it as the launching point for a season of television, they had to come up with more because otherwise there wouldn't be a story.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Max Payne 3’s loadout system of “two handguns, one long gun that gets tossed if you dual-wield” is so much fun and I don’t know why it hasn’t shown up in more games. It makes everything feel like a John Woo movie, where you shoot your assault rifle dry and throw it away for dual 1911’s instead of reloading.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Max Payne 3’s loadout system of “two handguns, one long gun that gets tossed if you dual-wield” is so much fun and I don’t know why it hasn’t shown up in more games. It makes everything feel like a John Woo movie, where you shoot your assault rifle dry and throw it away for dual 1911’s instead of reloading.

Does it give this feel better or worse than the actual John Woo game?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was just thinking the other day that more action games should have combo extenders + special properties for switching weapons so that having a varied loadout isn't just fun, but has some strategic value.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's a kind of irony in that my favourite action games tend to be those with options that are limited but easy to pull out, like you only have 4 special moves but they are assigned to certain buttons so you can just press the button and make the thing happen. It means you never have a move you never use, because there's no reason not to. It's already equipped, you just press the button if you feel like doing it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Definitely better. Stranglehold wasn’t bad but it’s no Max Payne.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

I was just thinking the other day that more action games should have combo extenders + special properties for switching weapons so that having a varied loadout isn't just fun, but has some strategic value.

I always wanted to play a shooter that felt like the last gunfight in the Wanted movie, where Wesley drops guns as they run dry and picks up new ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFzDd59ze64&t=160s

Superhot and Hotline Miami kind of did that, in a slower, more methodical way, but didn't quite reach that point. Oddly, the Wanted game was a cover shooter, so it didn't come close.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I also liked how the game will give you one chance to kill the guy who shot at you if you're low on health.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

I also liked how the game will give you one chance to kill the guy who shot at you if you're low on health.

That backfired sometimes. Since you’re still falling down if it was a guy from above behind cover, you basically can’t get him. You just have to wait for the last stand mechanic to end, since there’s nope “welp, I’m boned” button.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Elfface posted:

But does it have a poop button, and can you set the poop timer to zero?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Aq-gm3An0

Finally a current gen SS13

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That backfired sometimes. Since you’re still falling down if it was a guy from above behind cover, you basically can’t get him. You just have to wait for the last stand mechanic to end, since there’s nope “welp, I’m boned” button.

loving up the slo-mo parts of MP3 is part of the charm.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I feel like QTEs became less of a thing partly because it’s easier in games now to just have mechanics to let the player avatar do a cool thing depending on context sensitive inputs and combos and so on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zanzibar Ham posted:

That game was good for like two levels then steadily got shittier

quote:

Superhot and Hotline Miami kind of did that, in a slower, more methodical way, but didn't quite reach that point. Oddly, the Wanted game was a cover shooter, so it didn't come close.

You can do that in Ruiner but most of the guns suck

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

OutOfPrint posted:

I always wanted to play a shooter that felt like the last gunfight in the Wanted movie, where Wesley drops guns as they run dry and picks up new ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFzDd59ze64&t=160s

The first Darkness did this, Jackie doesn’t reload and your ammo counter is how many guns you have in reserve.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's also the signature gimmick of one of the weapon vendors in Borderlands 2 and up- their guns are cheap mass-produced crap so instead of reloading you throw them away and a new one teleports into your hands.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dewgy posted:

The first Darkness did this, Jackie doesn’t reload and your ammo counter is how many guns you have in reserve.

I wish that would get an HD remaster, I loved 2 but never got to play the first one because I didn’t own a 360. Mile Patton kicks rear end as the voice of the darkness.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

OutOfPrint posted:

I always wanted to play a shooter that felt like the last gunfight in the Wanted movie, where Wesley drops guns as they run dry and picks up new ones

SUPER. HOT.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Morpheus posted:

SUPER. HOT.
literally the second paragraph of his post

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I think you'd have to go with HM or SH to make it work, you appreciate the badassness by knowing what happens when you fail. If it was just 'push button, do rampage' it would be far less satisfying.

Though Perfect Dark did have a Disarm punch that would let you grab the gun from the floor and open fire.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I wish that would get an HD remaster, I loved 2 but never got to play the first one because I didn’t own a 360. Mile Patton kicks rear end as the voice of the darkness.

God yes. I loved that game, even if the open world parts of New York were needlessly tacked on and it could have functioned fine as a level based FPS, but that was a product of its time.

Sometimes when I’m healing a bud or something in a game I’ll still go “fixed your broken HEAD BONE” and then they look at me funny because I’m the only one that seemed to play that game ever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You could always just get a used 360 or ps3 for dirt rear end cheap and get access to a plethora of games cheap without paying near full price for a port

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

PubicMice posted:

This sounds a lot like The Long Dark, which is one of the better early access survival games.

Long Dark hasn't been in EA for like a year.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

literally the second paragraph of his post

WELL. poo poo.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I played it last year and thinking to myself “man, the guy that voices the Darkness did a great job, I should look up what else he’s been in” and finding out that it was the lead singer of Faith No More was loving wild

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Morpheus posted:

WELL. poo poo.

I don't know if I like this DLC.

WELL

poo poo

WELL

poo poo

WELL.

No, I do.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I played it last year and thinking to myself “man, the guy that voices the Darkness did a great job, I should look up what else he’s been in” and finding out that it was the lead singer of Faith No More was loving wild

He was also the voice of the creatures in I Am Legend. Dude is phenomenally talented (says the guy with a Faith No More av, whose username is a Faith No More song).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Imagine giving a poo poo that Patton was the singer of faith no more instead of dillinger

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ring Fit Adventure recognises that using the screenshot button is going to be awkward while playing (as the left JoyCon is strapped to your leg) so maps it to the easily accessible R on the right JoyCon

I want to hug the designer who thought of doing this, it's a game you want to screenshot as you're always achieving something.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Imagine giving a poo poo that Patton was the singer of faith no more instead of dillinger

For one album. Which was an EP, not even a full length.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

He was also the voice of the creatures in I Am Legend. Dude is phenomenally talented (says the guy with a Faith No More av, whose username is a Faith No More song).

Also Valve got him to do zombie sounds for L4D and he cameod as the anger orb in Portal.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So I started a new file in Kenshi playing as a martial artist and I decided to move to a mountain to be a hermit while raising an army of skeletons to do my bidding. Now I just constantly get invaded by armies, and there's just something super satisfying about jump kicking half a dozen people's limbs off. They're like bloody fireworks, the physics launching them into the sky. This game is amazing and I love it.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Necrothatcher posted:

Ring Fit Adventure recognises that using the screenshot button is going to be awkward while playing (as the left JoyCon is strapped to your leg) so maps it to the easily accessible R on the right JoyCon

I want to hug the designer who thought of doing this, it's a game you want to screenshot as you're always achieving something.

Ah, I've been wondering why I've been taking so many screenshots mid-workout

It's a lovely little game, I like that it gives you general fitness tips while you stretch. Makes the cool down less boring.

Doing the victory pose at the end of each level has also won me over.

Edit: I'm playing Dicey Dungeons and just went bear mode :3:

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Feb 6, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sleeveless posted:

Also Valve got him to do zombie sounds for L4D and he cameod as the anger orb in Portal.

So good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILppCQ1jeTw

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Brings back memories of how hunters could spring off walls in L4D 1. You could jump off a building diagonally and bounce off the wall in midair for extra distance, resulting in a really satisfying THUD when you landed on some poor bastard and chopped off half their health instantly.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I remember an old Anecdote where Mike Patton was recording lines in a convention or something and one of the staff got perturbed hearing weird snarling noises from the hotel room. His friend just explaining it with "Oh that's just Mike."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7TvkWmrFmA&t=6s

Seriously just listen to that bone crunching slam sound. That sound only plays when you get a max-distance leap so that's how you know you made one. L4D is so drat good. At 0:32 they do one of the wall bounces I mentioned, that ladder was a very popular spot for them back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Imagine giving a poo poo that Patton was the singer of faith no more instead of dillingerMr. Bungle