Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
gently caress mitt Romney for using Vilerats death as a political photo op.

I don't care what he does now, he can rot on hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

sexpig by night posted:

let's not make any bones about this. Mitt's wrong. He's dead wrong that there's any future for old style sadistic ghouls like him who are mainly upset that these new ghouls are just so OVERT about the agenda, and Utah still is solidly pro-Trump. He's self-immolating. You can call it brave and principled and all if you believe in that but he'll be alone in this and aside from the typical "SIR WELCOME TO THE RESISTANCE, I AM WIPING TEARS FROM MY EYES SIR" nonsense no one on the democratic side should give a poo poo what he thinks. We're still at risk of losing possibly two votes to completely nullify his move because our two most famous cowards are immune from getting whipped it seems.

It will make the cultists angry, though, which does own.

romeney is also popular as gently caress utah, so he will probably survive. his whole thing is hoping to survive november and trump and mitch and co getting booted and than taking over leadership of the party and probably trying to push the more insane poo poo a little underground to pretend they are like Ike again. it won't work(least the later part) but it ruins trumps narrative so lol.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

romeney is also popular as gently caress utah, so he will probably survive. his whole thing is hoping to survive november and trump and mitch and co getting booted and than taking over leadership of the party and probably trying to push the more insane poo poo a little underground to pretend they are like Ike again. it won't work(least the later part) but it ruins trumps narrative so lol.

he doesn't have to survive November, just survive Trump. He was elected in 2018 and he isn't up again until (hopefully) well after Trump is gone.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

he doesn't have to survive November, just survive Trump. He was elected in 2018 and he isn't up again until (hopefully) well after Trump is gone.

oh yeah. sorry. i am dumb lol.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Romney sucks, but at least he's smart enough to know how Trump will go down in history.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Romney is going to use this as a springboard for something. He is from that old school business Republican class that is sick of what the GOP has become. I deal with those guys on a regular basis, they hate Trump and how the GOP has lost whatever values it once had but will never vote Democrat because they do not agree with the liberal/progressive platform on a business sense. I honestly would not be surprised if there is a lot of the big money business people supporting this from behind the scenes as well.

This would make more sense if there was a block of classic Conservatives running to Primary many of the incumbents though. Dapper_Swindler's take is likely the correct one; this is payback to Trump and he is positioning himself to lead the GOP after they get thrashed for all of this.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I think Romney was probably the last person that Team Trump wanted to break ranks. He's popular in his state, is probably one of the more well known senators in general, and him folding like this just makes every chuddy senator that was "on the fence" look utterly stupid. Won't change the end result of the votes, true, but I think we should take any victory we can at this point.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

I think Romney was probably the last person that Team Trump wanted to break ranks. He's popular in his state, is probably one of the more well known senators in general, and him folding like this just makes every chuddy senator that was "on the fence" look utterly stupid. Won't change the end result of the votes, true, but I think we should take any victory we can at this point.

If anything I hope it makes Susan Collins cry.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Also, when (not if, when) more stuff leaks and is revealed in the upcoming months, Romney can claim plausible deniability: he at least saw the writing on the wall.

IPlayVideoGames
Nov 28, 2004

I unironically like Anders as a character.
So is Trump busy trying to nuke Utah or have Romney arrested or something? He cancelled a press conference that he was going to brag at, so he must be tantruming hard.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I think this was just pure dislike of Trump. There is no strategy. Romney is rich enough to not need to latch onto the grift gravy train, and the party is still going to be the party of Trump long after he is gone.

The GOP has gone too far to ever turn back. Also, memories are forever in the age of social media and Twitter.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I'm still trying to figure out why anybody thinks Mitt Romney breaking ranks is going to result in anything other than his political career being destroyed by the remainder of the Republican party.

I mean, it's pretty clear at this point they've gone full fascist with how they've treated the entire impeachment process and I just don't see how this makes any difference at all to anybody but Romney.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

IPlayVideoGames posted:

So is Trump busy trying to nuke Utah or have Romney arrested or something? He cancelled a press conference that he was going to brag at, so he must be tantruming hard.

The only thing that could make this better (apart from Trump getting ousted but lol) would be if Romney dropped this while Trump was in the middle of his jerkoff-conference. Hearing from assembled journalists that Mitt just stabbed him in the back in front of live cameras might've been just the push that was needed for that overdue megastroke. :allears:

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

mds2 posted:

Same here. I swore he was an actual robot. Nice to see a Senator with a small shred of integrity.

Someone post the pic of him trying his hardest and still failing to not smile when announcing that one of our forums members was murdered , apparently some people have forgotten

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I'm still trying to figure out why anybody thinks Mitt Romney breaking ranks is going to result in anything other than his political career being destroyed by the remainder of the Republican party.

I mean, it's pretty clear at this point they've gone full fascist with how they've treated the entire impeachment process and I just don't see how this makes any difference at all to anybody but Romney.

It's going to result in considerable hilarity as well, so I'm all for it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think Romney sucks but I think he does actually believe in the things he says he believes in.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He is a man of integrity. lovely, lovely integrity.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Framboise posted:

What Romney just did honestly deserves commendation. Not that doing the right thing deserves asspats, but having the guts to do it knowing that his party is going to tear him apart for it is respectable.

I wonder if he will switch parties after this. Probably not, but it would be interesting to see.

Over the past four years we’ve been asking where the bottom for the GOP to sink to has been. At least we know we’ve hit bottom for one of them.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Booourns posted:

Someone post the pic of him trying his hardest and still failing to not smile when announcing that one of our forums members was murdered , apparently some people have forgotten

I am not sure how many folks know about Vilerat. I feel like I only learned about the situation a year or two after it happened.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Graham currently doing his Wormtongue thing on the Senate floor. Started flapping his wings and squawking then had to pause because he forgot to put on his mic and nobody could hear him, which is pretty on the nose.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

syntaxrigger posted:

I am not sure how many folks know about Vilerat. I feel like I only learned about the situation a year or two after it happened.

I'm surprised. It went all over the forums, it seemed. Lowtax posted an announcement and there was a fundraiser for his family, IIRC.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

That it makes a difference to him is the point. If there were ten Romneys instead of one, you'd still get 80% of the same absurdly awful Republican legislation, if not 90%, but you could convince them about things, present facts to them, and some of the time it'd work, and some of the time that you were able to convince them, they'd be able to convince their boot-slobbering colleagues. So ideally, giving him a pat on the head and an extra helping of Goldfish at snack time is an incentive to keep acting like this - he has until 2024 before he has to worry about an election, after all - because having opponents who are capable of deciding based on principle is better than only having opponents who follow Dear Leader's every whim.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Over the past four years we've been asking where the bottom for the GOP to sink to has been. At least we know we've hit bottom for one of them.

And it's (barely) noteworthy that it's the abuse of power charge that got him, not the obstruction of congress; he's not doing this out of the "must keep senate strong! co-equal branch of congress!!" motivation that I think the authors of the Constitution would have expected to be ubiquitous. And it's not "oh no, must defend Mr Biden!!!" the way it might be for some Democrats; he says he's bothered by the actual abuse of power, and he probably actually is. It suggests that if the Mueller report hadn't had Barr happen to it, and/or if Mueller hadn't been quite so coy about Trump having ever personally done anything wrong, impeachment based on that might have gotten Romney's attention too.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Booourns posted:

I think this is best followed by a video of Romney trying to use what Obama did instead as a 'gotcha' in a debate only to fall flat on his face and thus doom his election chances.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

zonohedron posted:

That it makes a difference to him is the point. If there were ten Romneys instead of one, you'd still get 80% of the same absurdly awful Republican legislation, if not 90%, but you could convince them about things, present facts to them, and some of the time it'd work, and some of the time that you were able to convince them, they'd be able to convince their boot-slobbering colleagues. So ideally, giving him a pat on the head and an extra helping of Goldfish at snack time is an incentive to keep acting like this - he has until 2024 before he has to worry about an election, after all - because having opponents who are capable of deciding based on principle is better than only having opponents who follow Dear Leader's every whim.

And it's (barely) noteworthy that it's the abuse of power charge that got him, not the obstruction of congress; he's not doing this out of the "must keep senate strong! co-equal branch of congress!!" motivation that I think the authors of the Constitution would have expected to be ubiquitous. And it's not "oh no, must defend Mr Biden!!!" the way it might be for some Democrats; he says he's bothered by the actual abuse of power, and he probably actually is. It suggests that if the Mueller report hadn't had Barr happen to it, and/or if Mueller hadn't been quite so coy about Trump having ever personally done anything wrong, impeachment based on that might have gotten Romney's attention too.

this. Romney sucks but he has "enough" integrity to realize trump is an abusive monster and wont last. meanwhile graham and the others kneel before president monster mash and pledge their loyalty to the graveyard smash.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/aawayne/status/1225155457918087173

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

cmon joe you ol sack of poo poo, do the right thing here

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I really hope some reporter asks Collins what she thinks now that Trump went "lol no I didn't"

Your wish is granted.
https://twitter.com/GreggWGME/status/1225146095690489857?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Good for her. Genuinely.

This piece of poo poo is literally a parody.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i think he will. Sinema was the one i was most worried about. joe will bend the knee.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ok even by Manchin standards if he buckles when Jones and Sinema stand strong he'd look pathetic. I think we may actually have a unified front

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

big trivia FAIL posted:

yes the Dems need another (D) that votes along with Republicans 90% of the time

Get the majority and all kinds of important poo poo happens differently, who cares how the D votes

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think he will. Sinema was the one i was most worried about. joe will bend the knee.

yea Manchin is a scumbag with no actual values but he's a political animal at the core, Sinema genuinely thinks if she just tapdances harder for the right they'll eventually see the light somehow. I was way more worried about her vote than his (I am still worried about his vote though)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I don't mean to sound all "nothing matters" because it's not my intent, but what long run impact are a few GOP conviction votes going to have? It needs a 2/3 majority to happen, right?

Like it's obviously not a bad thing that sucky people are finally growing a ghost of a conscience, but it is kinda too little too late here.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Framboise posted:

I don't mean to sound all "nothing matters" because it's not my intent, but what long run impact are a few GOP conviction votes going to have? It needs a 2/3 majority to happen, right?

Like it's obviously not a bad thing that sucky people are finally growing a ghost of a conscience, but it is kinda too little too late here.

a tie or majority (even 51/49) vote symbolically matters a lot, as does party solidarity, in the narrative that comes out of it. but yeah to get him out of office NOW? doesn't matter at all

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Framboise posted:

We never expected impeachment to result in removal. That's why half of us were always like "why bother".

What a few GOP defections does is remove Trump's ability to crow about it as a purely partisan affair with 100% REPUBLICAN SUPPORT, TOTAL EXONERATION EXCEPT BY THE DO NOTHING DEMS.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Get the majority and all kinds of important poo poo happens differently, who cares how the D votes

the people who need loving healthcare and want to see people not getting blown up for being in the wrong part of desert, you ghoul.

Framboise posted:

oh yea Trump still skates but the bare minimum to hope for here is a unified D conviction vote with a R defector to get Trump angry even as he wins

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Framboise posted:

he wont get convicted. its about ruining the GOPs narrative of partisand witchhunt. plus romney is well liked in political circles.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

sexpig by night posted:

ok even by Manchin standards if he buckles when Jones and Sinema stand strong he'd look pathetic. I think we may actually have a unified front

Yeah if Jones and Sinema are voting for removal, and there is a GOP crossover, it looks really bad for him to cave.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
That makes sense, yeah. I'm sure the lunatic will still spin it with lies, but the nation will know where the numbers stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

This encapsulates the spirit of everything Collins has done so perfectly, acting based on some wishfully rose-colored depiction of a world that just doesn't exist in real life.