Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
GOP cannibalizing itself is good. Also the next round of illegal poo poo that Trump will do to try to abuse his office to destroy romney will drive home the abuse of power stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

the people who need loving healthcare and want to see people not getting blown up for being in the wrong part of desert, you ghoul.

& a good number of bills that would do something about those issues are gathering dust on Majority Leader McConnell's desk that would be going up for a vote from Majority Leader Schumer's, should the Senate flip.

Framboise posted:

I don't mean to sound all "nothing matters" because it's not my intent, but what long run impact are a few GOP conviction votes going to have? It needs a 2/3 majority to happen, right?

Like it's obviously not a bad thing that sucky people are finally growing a ghost of a conscience, but it is kinda too little too late here.

p much everything at this point is to increase D voter turnout and/or decrease R voter turnout. Being able to push that even some Rs are done with Trump and think he broke a law and should be removed does both.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BigglesSWE posted:

I think Romney was probably the last person that Team Trump wanted to break ranks. He's popular in his state, is probably one of the more well known senators in general, and him folding like this just makes every chuddy senator that was "on the fence" look utterly stupid. Won't change the end result of the votes, true, but I think we should take any victory we can at this point.

i think the last person team trump wanted to break ranks was probably mitch, actually :v:

but yeah romney's worse for him than collins or any other vulnerable senator who could have been dismissed as pandering to their state for re-election, because all you can do is claim the republican presidential nominee for 2012 was a secret democrat

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/LauraLitvan/status/1225160871103598592

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

sexpig by night posted:

ok even by Manchin standards if he buckles when Jones and Sinema stand strong he'd look pathetic. I think we may actually have a unified front

https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1225160507780423687?s=19

Edit: beaten, but hoo boy is Donny gonna be pissed.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

oldskool posted:

& a good number of bills that would do something about those issues are gathering dust on Majority Leader McConnell's desk that would be going up for a vote from Majority Leader Schumer's, should the Senate flip.
That's not how it works. Bills die after the current 'class' is done and it has to start all over again.

quote:

Once a Congress adjourns, however, at the end of its two-year cycle, all bills that have been introduced in either the House or the Senate that have not made it through the entire legislative process and signed into law are dead.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

wow how courageous. I'm super inspired

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

If nothing else, this tweet alone justifies the entire impeachment process. It may even justify Twitter.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Glad to see it. I count myself among the pleasantly surprised about Sinema. I find her Yes more shocking than Romney's in some ways.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

The best possible outcome without witnesses looks like it's within reach.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mummy Xzibit posted:

The best possible outcome without witnesses looks like it's within reach.

Dems did the best they reasonably could given the outcome was predetermined, with a bonus Mitch backstab that noone could've really predicted.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Bipartisan vote to convict. There goes Trump’s perfect week.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This is a victory for Schumer. He loving sucks and he's awful at his job but he should be given a lot of credit for holding the caucus together.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

NICE. eat poo poo donney. next illegal action is gonna be him trying to gently caress Romney.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

TyrantWD posted:

Bipartisan vote to convict. There goes Trump’s perfect week.

This is the best we could have reasonably hoped for: bipartisan support for conviction plus Republicans eating themselves.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

NICE. eat poo poo donney. next illegal action is gonna be him trying to gently caress Romney.

He'll scream at McConnell to hold a vote to expel him from the Senate.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Oracle posted:

He'll scream at McConnell to hold a vote to expel him from the Senate.

I see a tax audit in Romney's future.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Oracle posted:

That's not how it works. Bills die after the current 'class' is done and it has to start all over again.

This is true, but with a Democratic House there's nothing stopping them from starting over & getting those bills right back into the Senate.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Oracle posted:

yeah but given that the house rules are whatever the speaker says they are, effectively, getting those back to the senate would not be an arduous task

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1225157993865437184

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1225162739422724097

this went exactly opposite how they thought just hours ago

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

oldskool posted:

This is true, but with a Democratic House there's nothing stopping them from starting over & getting those bills right back into the Senate.

I have zero doubt that they will pass everything all over again right away. The more they get passed and the longer Mitch ignores them it will be yet another cudgel to bash the GOP with. I have a feeling Mitch is going to get shellaced in the Fall and it will have a not insignificant part to do with it.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

I’m genuinely surprised, I guess he’s not running for Governor then.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

eke out posted:

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1225162739422724097

this went exactly opposite how they thought just hours ago

its worth pointing out that, like Romney, Manchin is as far away from an election as it is possible to be in the senate

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
drat

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1225134163810045965?s=19

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

its worth pointing out that, like Romney, Manchin is as far away from an election as it is possible to be in the senate

they obviously thought they had him to acquit on at least one article though

between that and Romney doing successfully-embargoed interviews about this, there was clearly a lot of last-minute movement

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Turned out pretty good then. Too bad we couldn’t get that Bolton testimony but it will all come out in the book anyway. House should still subpoena him as an oversight matter too.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Lol Romney did an embargoed interview with the Atlantic a week ago explaining why he was voting to convict.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/02/romney-impeach-trump/606127/

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yronic heroism posted:

Turned out pretty good then. Too bad we couldn’t get that Bolton testimony but it will all come out in the book anyway. House should still subpoena him as an oversight matter too.

i believe they have already announced they're going to do that

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Assuming these votes hold, this is about as good as I could have hoped short of Collins and Gardner voting convict. If those two hang in November then I’ll be happy.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mcmagic posted:

This is a victory for Schumer. He loving sucks and he's awful at his job but he should be given a lot of credit for holding the caucus together.

I've been saving this specifically for you

mcmagic posted:

You're going to clearly see how useless and weak Chuck Schumer is by how many D's vote to acquit..

But you admitted you were wrong and I can respect that.

Takes a lot more honesty than people who make predictions as if they're already done and then disappear when they're wrong.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I've lost track, is there a simple majority for conviction?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

haveblue posted:

2/3rds, 67 votes.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

haveblue posted:

2/3s to convict.

And here we go.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

conviction requires a 2/3s majority

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Well, glad to see I was wrong about Manchin and sinema. Happy to see Romney come to his senses for once, whatever reasoning he may have to do it.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

it's really striking how many randos there are in the senate you never hear from, on both sides. like 30 senators monopolize all the media time, and 70 people just sit around and vote party line on everything. must be a nice fuckin cushy job

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jaxyon posted:

I've been saving this specifically for you

But you admitted you were wrong and I can respect that.

Takes a lot more honesty than people who make predictions as if they're already done and then disappear when they're wrong.

I'm happy to be wrong.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you can call him 'Mr Cray-po' all you want but the man's name is Senator Crapo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Collins officially has Not Guilty on the record.