Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Japan > world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Nobody washes their hands (when I would on rare occasions see someone wash their hands it was shocking), there is almost never soap or hot water available in any public place. Newly built mall bathrooms are the big exception, they're usually about the same as the west. Still nobody washing, but you could.

China's worse but this isn't actually that weird for East Asia, even in relatively clean Japan it's a coin toss if there's going to be soap in a bathroom. Same in Korea. I eventually just started keeping a small bottle in my backpack, and you always want to have some wipes with you in Asia.

Japan has soap in like 95% of bathrooms outside of countryside train stations.

Also I'm pretty happy to see here in Taiwan for all the government offices and hospitals I've seen they have people stationed at the entrance giving you an alcohol spray on the hands, requiring you to use a mask, and many have guys with temperature guns checking everyone. It owns and is good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Japan had electronic bidets in gas station/convenience store toilets when i lived there 13 years ago.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Convenience stores have the reliable good public bathrooms, yeah.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I mean I saw a ~3 year old poo poo in a bucket his mom was carrying around in the bread aisle of whatever that big french supermarket chain is in Shanghai 2008.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
all you need for a complete bathroom experience in China is a hole in the ground and a bottle of water as liquid TP

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

D-Pad posted:

I mean I saw a ~3 year old poo poo in a bucket his mom was carrying around in the bread aisle of whatever that big french supermarket chain is in Shanghai 2008.

That's a pretty handy approach, if you're faced with ultra disgusting bathrooms and toddler bowel movements

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

D-Pad posted:

I saw a child poo poo on s piece of paper right outside s Haagen dasz in an upscale mall in Shanghai in 2015

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Japan should be pretty good at shutting its borders. I would feel safe in japan.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Japanese bathrooms mostly have soap, but they never ever have paper towels, you gotta pack a little cloth. My first time there my host mom was religious about wash your drat hands when you come in the house, cause you've been on the train and it's nasty. Train station bathrooms in japan are pretty much the same level of gross as public transit bathrooms in America. Convenience store bathrooms were usually spotless. The space toilets rule...totally game changing if you're out in the world all day, got brutal ramen/beer shits, and don't want a dirty butt.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

Japanese bathrooms mostly have soap, but they never ever have paper towels, you gotta pack a little cloth.

Not at all true. Many public bathrooms like in train stations will just have air driers, but there's also lots of places you're going to go with paper towels.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Train station bathrooms in japan are pretty much the same level of gross as public transit bathrooms in America.

Also objectively untrue. The public bathrooms in some of the major stations that see huge, huge numbers of people (Shinjuku, Shibuya, Shinbashi, etc.) will get fairly nasty sometimes, but relatively to traffic are really quite amazing. Basically anywhere else will very clean the vast majority of times (no telling if someone went to a squatter and missed a drop or something and you get there before it's cleaned), if old for some countryside stations. Consistently much cleaner than the public stuff in the US, though there's much more variability in the US as it's huge and there's major variety.

TL;DR the US is dirty and Americans are dirty fucks who get off on trashing the environments live and exist in.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Journey to the West transformer concepts

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Mr. Apollo posted:

So it takes place in America?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I always thought of Zhu Bajie as more of a PT Cruiser

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mr. Apollo posted:

Oh, wow, someone is finally adapting that, huh?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LimburgLimbo posted:

Not at all true. Many public bathrooms like in train stations will just have air driers, but there's also lots of places you're going to go with paper towels.

Also objectively untrue. The public bathrooms in some of the major stations that see huge, huge numbers of people (Shinjuku, Shibuya, Shinbashi, etc.) will get fairly nasty sometimes, but relatively to traffic are really quite amazing. Basically anywhere else will very clean the vast majority of times (no telling if someone went to a squatter and missed a drop or something and you get there before it's cleaned), if old for some countryside stations. Consistently much cleaner than the public stuff in the US, though there's much more variability in the US as it's huge and there's major variety.

TL;DR the US is dirty and Americans are dirty fucks who get off on trashing the environments live and exist in.

You're one of those brutal weebs that I refused to engage with in Japan, yet here we both are, being insufferable.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Don't see how having lived in Japan and takin' a bunch of shits all over makes me a weeb but if that's the best you got then okay

Edit: also if you live in Japan and consistently encounter weebs you should consider why that is

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 5, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How do you say weeb in japanese? Weebu?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*hair covers eyes*

"Not bad, you made me use 10% of my soap"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Japan > world.

haha

hahahahahaha. hah

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Blistex posted:

This is correct. First night staying in a hotel I received three calls from hotel employees of increasingly better English skills.

9:00pm - "Herroror you wa. . . . amowouh . . . nigah. . ." <dial tone>
10:30pm - "Hello, alone. . . help . . . nigah . . . help?" <dial tone>
11:00pm - "Hello, you need massage from pretty girl?
Me: "No thanks, I am trying to sleep."
12:00pm - <phone rings>
<unplugs phone>

loving lmao reviving this poo poo for a new page because I cannot stop laughing at it.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh, wow, someone is finally adapting that, huh?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

ウェーブ

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

You're one of those brutal weebs that I refused to engage with in Japan, yet here we both are, being insufferable.

Americans do not wash their buttholes and do not know of bidets, and i am unsettlingly cognizant of the warm unwashed steamy rear end scents everyone carries with them on their regular business

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

Grand Fromage posted:

Nobody washes their hands (when I would on rare occasions see someone wash their hands it was shocking), there is almost never soap or hot water available in any public place. Newly built mall bathrooms are the big exception, they're usually about the same as the west. Still nobody washing, but you could.

China's worse but this isn't actually that weird for East Asia, even in relatively clean Japan it's a coin toss if there's going to be soap in a bathroom. Same in Korea. I eventually just started keeping a small bottle in my backpack, and you always want to have some wipes with you in Asia.

I might have just gotten lucky somehow but every public bathroom I've been in in Hong Kong has had soap, running water, and some way to dry your hands. Even random public ones on trails that I thought for sure would be disgusting were not. So coming from the mainland, it was a real relief. I had all the good public toilets in Wuhan memorized and it was not an extensive list.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

bones 4 beginners posted:

I might have just gotten lucky somehow but every public bathroom I've been in in Hong Kong has had soap, running water, and some way to dry your hands. Even random public ones on trails that I thought for sure would be disgusting were not. So coming from the mainland, it was a real relief. I had all the good public toilets in Wuhan memorized and it was not an extensive list.

Yeah, Hong Kong changed a lot after SARS, toilets used to be super gross, unless you could use your white privilege to go poop in the bathrooms of a hotel lobby, they were awesome and a little old guy in a starched white Mao jacket who lived in there would hand you a folded cloth towel to dry your hands with. <sigh>

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

D-Pad posted:

If we're gonna do kids making GBS threads on the floor stories this thread is gonna get real long real fast

pretty sure the kids making GBS threads on the mall floor then the mom covering it up with a little pamphlet stuff I talked about in the last thread

Just last fall my reading spot in the park (it's a little forest park thing, a valley that's full of trees and paths, as secluded as I could get 5 minutes from my apartment) got invaded by public shitters. I guess secluded and around trees is actually an alright place to poo poo, but they'd poo poo and then there'd be a single square or two of toilet paper just casually placed on top of the poo poo, not like they're wiping with it but covering it. There was a fresh poo poo or two every time I went out there, enough that I eventually found a new reading spot.

But why cover the shits? Why not bury them? Why not use the real bathrooms that are a 5 minute walk away cuz this is a park not some way out there hiking trail?

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

BrainDance posted:

But why cover the shits? Why not bury them? Why not use the real bathrooms that are a 5 minute walk away cuz this is a park not some way out there hiking trail?

No why.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I mean I had people encouraging their kids to piss and poo poo in the lobby and elevators of my apartment building. You know, the building that they themselves live in, and have a bathroom in. And this was not like a cheapo dump building, it was on the nicer end of the scale. There is, truly, no why.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

yaffle posted:

unless you could use your white privilege to go poop in the bathrooms of a hotel lobby

lol you don't need to be white to use public bathrooms in HK

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

yaffle posted:

Yeah, Hong Kong changed a lot after SARS, toilets used to be super gross, unless you could use your white privilege to go poop in the bathrooms of a hotel lobby, they were awesome and a little old guy in a starched white Mao jacket who lived in there would hand you a folded cloth towel to dry your hands with. <sigh>

Could a non white person do that if they were wearing the right clothes or spoke the right English?

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Shaocaholica posted:

Could a non white person do that if they were wearing the right clothes or spoke the right English?

huh

I grew up in Hong Kong in the company of white people and many times there was this weird colonial arrogance simmering beneath the surface, but nothing like outright discrimination and segregation. At least, not that I personally experienced, but I wasn't a local.

Small Gay Planet fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 6, 2020

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Went with some coworkers to our favorite Sichuan food place, and when we got there the waitstaff were all wearing masks and insisted on checking us with a forehead thermometer before allowing us to sit down

This is in so cal

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The last time my wife went back to China (4 years ago) she stopped off at a mall to pick up some stuff and had to use the bathroom. When she went inside there was a granny emptying the liquid hand soap dispenser into an empty Sprite bottle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, all the staff and most of the customers at the Asian grocery I went to this weekend were wearing masks. In Ohio.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Bip Roberts posted:

ウェーブ

The pronunciation would ウィーブ (Bip Roberts' is close but would have an "eh" sound where an "ee" sound should be; would be closer to "wave" in English).

There's no term with the same nuance in Japanese though, and the above is just a phonetic pronunciation. The closest they get in meaning is 日本かぶれ (nihon kabure), which is someone who adopts the attitude and actions of Japan; basically acts if they're Japanese/want to be Japanese despite not being.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
As an aside I love this note in the applicable Japanese wikipedia page (added trans are mine):

英語における「おたく」の類似語
"Similar terms in English for "Otaku""

英語(米語)では、日本でのオタクに近い意味を表すためにはNerd(ナード)という言葉で表現され、パソコンオタクや電子工作オタクを指す場では geek(ギーク)が用られる。また(wizard)ウィザードの略語である(wiz)ウィズを単語の後に付けコンピューターウィズなどと使う表現もある。しかしこれは魔法使いと言う意味も含むため宗教的問題から、近年は余り用いられることはない。また、日本のアダルトゲーム(エロゲ)を由来として、オタクのことを(日本語の意味を知らずに)"hentai"と呼ぶアメリカ人もいる。

アメリカのナードに付いて歌われた曲White & Nerdy参照。
"For more information on American nerds, refer to the song "White & Nerdy"

geek
「ギーク」も参照
nerd
「ナード」も参照
dork, dweeb, goon, および doofus など
いずれも「間抜け」「弱虫」「無能」といった否定的な意味合い。スクールカースト下位者に対する蔑称。
Anorak
主としてイギリスの鉄道マニアに対する蔑称。アノラックを着る者が多いことから。
Weeaboo, Wapanese, Weeb
三つとも欧米人に対して欧米人が使用する、「日本かぶれ」という意味の単語。

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

There's no term with the same nuance in Japanese though, and the above is just a phonetic pronunciation. The closest they get in meaning is 日本かぶれ (nihon kabure), which is someone who adopts the attitude and actions of Japan; basically acts if they're Japanese/want to be Japanese despite not being.

It's weird to me that they don't have a common slang term more synonymous with weeb. I imagine most Japanese are very aware of the nerdy white people who are obsessed with their country, since a lot of them end up traveling there and bothering people.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

If your clientele is made up of people who may have recently come from China wouldn't it be sensible for them to wear masks outside of China to prevent potentially infecting other people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I am able to speak fluent American English and also wuhan dialect so I should be able to punk some people in the greater Los Angeles area. Although I'm not sure if people here could even recognize a wuhan/hubei accent.