Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

peanut posted:

do you need a phone and an ipad and a laptop and a power bank as you walk around during the day

I don’t carry the laptop around.

I have my phone with me, and my iPad for sketching and drawing. Router and power bank to feed data and power to whatever I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Japan Airlines didn't have a spot for Known Traveler Number when I was booking my flight; can I add it online, will it let me add it at the airport, or do I need to call them? Tried calling them a couple of times today, and it's all "high call volume, call back if your trip isn't in the next 7/14 days." Looked through their website and didn't see any other options.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Every other airline I’ve ever seen will add it at the counter when you get your boarding passes, I don’t know why they wouldn’t.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Recommendations for places to get fugu? I'd like to try it while I'm there. We'll be in Tokyo and Kyoto.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 3, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Thanatosian posted:

Recommendations for places to get fugu? I'd like to try it while I'm there. We'll be in Tokyo and Kyoto.

Look for a place that has a tank in the window with a bunch of fugu swimming around. There are a bunch in the dotonbori area of Osaka.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Tokyo's historically famous spot for fugu is Asakusa. Not sure if the area becoming a tourist trap has affected the quality of the fugu restaurants though.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I am planning my trip in earnest and can't fathom how bad some Japanese websites are.

I am also a bit confounded by Japan Rail. Are the prices really as outrageous as they appear or am I missing something?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Indolent Bastard posted:

I am planning my trip in earnest and can't fathom how bad some Japanese websites are.

I am also a bit confounded by Japan Rail. Are the prices really as outrageous as they appear or am I missing something?

Yes to all.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The JR pass seems like a drat good deal by my calculations, though, if you're doing at least 2-3 cities with a number of day trips. But maybe someone who's actually visited Japan will correct me on that.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Check regular fares on Hyperdia.
Compare to a JR pass. Look at the shorter/cheaper passes, too.

Basically, get a JR pass if you're riding the Shinkansen twice.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Depending on the scope of your trip, you can also get by with a regional pass.

The JR pass seems like it's all that, but then you wind up planning your entire trip around min/maxing the active time for the train pass and come out the other end with:

quote:

Hey guys, I'm going to Japan and I was wondering if this itinerary looks OK:

Day 1: Tokyo
Day 2: Sapporo
Day 3: Hiroshima
Day 4: Kyoto
Day 5: Fukuoka
Day 6: Osaka
Day 7: Return to Tokyo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
^^^^ I'm going to Japan to ride trains all day every day!

I know that itinerary is a joke which is why I laughed.

E: If you are going to Tokyo and want to see Kyoto/Osaka as well, then the JR Pass is worth it. The train ride to and from Shin-Osaka plus other JR rides in and around those two main metro areas will more than cover a 7 day pass.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Waltzing Along posted:

^^^^ I'm going to Japan to ride trains all day every day!

You joke but this is unironically how the JR Pass is designed. It would be so much more useful if it were like the bus pass and you got five non-consecutive days rather than having to just go loving hog on the shinkansen within a week.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Grand Fromage posted:

You joke but this is unironically how the JR Pass is designed. It would be so much more useful if it were like the bus pass and you got five non-consecutive days rather than having to just go loving hog on the shinkansen within a week.

It really depends on how you use it.

Go to Japan for 2 weeks, get a 7 days pass. Use it to get to/from Kansai/Tokyo in the middle of your trip. It works out.

If you just go to Japan for 7 days then it can become a mad dash to break even.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My Japan trips are a month typically. I had one instance in all my visits where I did a regional pass, though we're still only talking a savings of like $30 in the end. The main pass has never been worth using.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Japan is good

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

That’s how the Seishun 18 tickets work, except for the whole “pay separately for express trains” thing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Anyone got tips for a nice spot to go for a decent 5k (or 10k, although 2 laps of the 5k spot would obviously do fine if nobody had any recommendations) circuitous run in Osaka?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you're going to take the shinkansen twice within a week, it's usually OK; however, if you're not doing Japan Tourism Any% WR attempts, it's not a great deal if you know that not every train operator in Japan is JR. (also you can't ride the nozomi :rip: )

I'm going in May, and this is my itinerary:
code:
5 nights Kobe
2 nights Hiroshima
3 nights Nagoya
4 nights Tokyo
3 nights Nagoya
2 nights Kobe
The main driver was me being lazy booking hotels and fishing for better rates on booking. The ideal way of dealing with this is to drop a day in Hiroshima or skip Nagoya over completely (both valid) in order to min/max a 7 day JR pass.

What I'm doing instead is the JR West Kansai-Hiroshima pass since it's 14500 for 5-days, 2 trips on the Kintetsu Limited Express at 4330 a pop, and a round-trip ticket for Nagoya to Tokyo out of pocket at 11500 each way. Grand total: 46160. The JR Pass is 29000 (plus shipping). I saved more than 17000 on hotels.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If I'm staying in Kyoto for 5-6 days, is a daytrip or two to Osaka worth it?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Thanatosian posted:

it's 35-70 min away? it's a bit further to Nara?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

It’s not even a day trip, it’s a work commute. Go see the big city.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I use a spreadsheet to fiddle with my schedule and match it up with JR passes.

This way lets me move chunks of my trip around so I can line things up better and make sure it makes sense for my JR pass, etc.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 4, 2020

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Here's mine. I got good enough that I really just need location + place to stay. But more recently I've been driving.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I'm planning to go in May, arrive night of the 16th and return the 25th and do something like

4 Nights Tokyo
3 Nights stay in Kyoto but visit Osaka 1 day
1 Night Koya Monastery

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

it's 35-70 min away? it's a bit further to Nara?

I just discovered Shunie/Omizutori/Otaimatsu; we are going to be in Kyoto during the end of Otaimatsu, it looks baller as hell; is a day trip to Nara going to be a nightmare during that time? Not that that will necessarily stop us...

EDIT: Thank you all for tolerating my basic bitch questions, and also for the recommendation of japan-guide.com.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 4, 2020

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

some of them are like this. when i went to hokkaido last year, i got the pass for basically everywhere between tokyo and sapporo only and it was like 5 days of use in a 10 day period or something. When I used it the first time each day the dudes at the ticketing counters would just stamp one of the boxes with the day's date.

I saved hundreds of dollars with that thing and on days I just took the subway a couple times I used cash.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I've come to the realization that I will mostly be based in Tokyo. I have decent Air B&B that is near Mejiro Station and as I've never been to Japan I think I'm leaning towards staying in Tokyo mostly with a possible day or two of day-trips to Kamakura or Hakone or possibly the Jigokudani Monkey Park.

All of which points to using IC card or PASMO card for Tokyo transit, including from the airport and just getting rail tickets for any day trips that may require it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I definitely didn't have trouble making my 7 days JR pass worthwhile, but this time while I'll be taking the same amount of transit it won't be within seven contiguous days so I'm going back to regular individual tickets.

Someone mentioned flying from Tokyo to Osaka and while I won't be doing that, I am thinking about doing the reverse instead of riding the Shinkansen back. Seems like I can do that for a bit cheaper, though I'm not exactly in "save $100" mode on this trip.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Indolent Bastard posted:

I've come to the realization that I will mostly be based in Tokyo. I have decent Air B&B that is near Mejiro Station and as I've never been to Japan I think I'm leaning towards staying in Tokyo mostly with a possible day or two of day-trips to Kamakura or Hakone or possibly the Jigokudani Monkey Park.

All of which points to using IC card or PASMO card for Tokyo transit, including from the airport and just getting rail tickets for any day trips that may require it.

Absolutely do this.

I used a SUICA during my stay in Tokyo. Added $200 and it lasted me for 5 days or so with multiple stops all over Tokyo per day.

My plan for December 2021 is 10-12 days. Probably split the trip to be something like 5/6 days in Tokyo, 3 days in Kyoto, 1 day in Nara, 2 days in Osaka.

I already did Tokyo, but felt like I barely scratched the surface, so I'm not worried about doing so many days there again. Do the other days sound about right to see all the nice touristy stuff?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you have an iPhone, definitely get yourself the SuicaEng app and provision a mobile Suica. You can reload with ApplePay, use it at vending machines, konbini, as well as transit. It will literally save you from walking around with a mountain of coins in your pocket.

I mean, coins are unavoidable, but it will cut down your coin clutter significantly.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Martytoof posted:

If you have an iPhone, definitely get yourself the SuicaEng app and provision a mobile Suica. You can reload with ApplePay, use it at vending machines, konbini, as well as transit. It will literally save you from walking around with a mountain of coins in your pocket.

I mean, coins are unavoidable, but it will cut down your coin clutter significantly.

The fact that Japan (especially Tokyo) is so "futuristic" in many ways. Their addiction to hard currency is a little baffling.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
cream

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Third world country with first world toys.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I’m a type 1 diabetic using two different types of insulin pens (long and short acting). Should I expect to have to taken these for the customs inspection, and how many will they let me bring in without needing the special permit?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Basically, yakkan shomei is only required for more than 1 month's supply and/or specific medicines.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/serviceinfo/share/assist/support/medical/insulin.html

https://www.dk.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/visamed.html

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

peanut posted:

Basically, yakkan shomei is only required for more than 1 month's supply and/or specific medicines.

https://www.ana.co.jp/en/jp/serviceinfo/share/assist/support/medical/insulin.html

https://www.dk.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/visamed.html

Thanks! The “one or two syringes = a month” is a little stingy but I’m there for just a few days so I can chance it without a backup.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
So with what's happening in China at the moment, my friend who just got back from Nogoya and Tokyo noticed that there seem to be a distinct lack of the usual mass of chinese tourists in the usual tourist traps.
Anyone else seeing this?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
What is the chances of coronoa virus in Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's already there. Nobody knows how widespread it will get.