Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

First time traveling international I brought chocolates back with me from Germany. At customs the questionnaire asked if I had any milk products, and to be on the safe side I answered 'yes', when we landed I got passed up through like four security desks while people are trying to figure out if chocolate is considered a milk product until the last guy who took one look at me and my chocolates and told me to just go.

Customs security is funny

Filling out customs forms to the most accurate detail is a thing for people who want to waste time in an airport. I have fond* memories of my dad having me total up the value of the used books I purchased on a trip so he could write to the penny how much stuff we were bringing back. You'll be shocked to hear that my dad also drives to the speed limit exactly.

*the opposite of fond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That was apparently a fine and reasonable answer and we were waved through.

Do not expect logic, reason, or consistency from the TSA. Doing so will only make you confused or angry, probably both. If you fail at this remember that the person you're talking to has a life that sucks so much they've resorted to being a TSA agent. They deserve your pity, not your anger.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

KodiakRS posted:

Do not expect logic, reason, or consistency from the TSA. Doing so will only make you confused or angry, probably both. If you fail at this remember that the person you're talking to has a life that sucks so much they've resorted to being a TSA agent. They deserve your pity, not your anger.

This was Customs. The TSA is a totally different agency with a different mandate.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

tangy yet delightful posted:

Filling out customs forms to the most accurate detail is a thing for people who want to waste time in an airport. I have fond* memories of my dad having me total up the value of the used books I purchased on a trip so he could write to the penny how much stuff we were bringing back. You'll be shocked to hear that my dad also drives to the speed limit exactly.

*the opposite of fond

Relatedly, I have never been on a farm while overseas.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

KodiakRS posted:

remember that the person you're talking to has a life that sucks so much they've resorted to being a TSA agent. They deserve your pity, not your anger.

They willingly chose to be collaborators, so they deserve some anger with the pity.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Not sure if you guys realized, those people who got squashed in the New Orleans hard-rock collapse, are still there, and still visible from the street apparently

https://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/news/local/louisiana/2020/01/22/body-exposed-months-after-new-orleans-hotel-collapse/4547340002/
screen capped cause the pay wall

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

tangy yet delightful posted:

*the opposite of fond
Well then once you don't fill it out completely accurately and you'll get your day ruined by a particularly anal agent.

I was leaving a country once that had a cap on the amount of cash you can carry out - not in the US, this was like $500. I had quite a bit more, not thousands but clearly over the limit. I wrote down $500 and usually they don't give a poo poo unless you write something crazy but this time he went at me. I don't think I looked nervous but maybe I did. "How much cash are you carrying? Is that exactly it? Are you sure? Should we check?". Thankfully I managed to keep the poker face and said something like "not at all, this is exactly how much I have so there's no reason to count it" and he let it go. A somewhat pants-making GBS threads moment.

Going into the US, I think the form asks you to list any food you have. I declared the 3 packs of waffles I was bringing for my relatives because it's food, but the guy looked at me like I was the rear end in a top hat.

tl;dr: these are the only officials I wouldn't gently caress with. I can argue technicalities with the local cops until they get bored but these guys can deny entry/boarding for no reason and completely screw up your plans

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 5, 2020

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Yeah, I just didn't feel like getting screwed over if they decided milk in chocolate was a big deal, and I had an entire transatlantic flight to fill it out so oh well.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

mobby_6kl posted:

Well then once you don't fill it out completely accurately and you'll get your day ruined by a particularly anal agent.
I once for detained for a couple hours because in the "Countries visited outside the US:" part of the declaration I wrote "None"

I was technically correct :colbert:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Not sure if you guys realized, those people who got squashed in the New Orleans hard-rock collapse, are still there, and still visible from the street apparently

https://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/news/local/louisiana/2020/01/22/body-exposed-months-after-new-orleans-hotel-collapse/4547340002/

It was mentioned up thread a ways. It sounds like there are no plans to put another tarp up or retrieve the bodies before they demolish what's left of the building sometime in March.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

LifeSunDeath posted:

Right Click -> Open in New Private Window

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

snugglz posted:

one time I was striking an event in Las Vegas at about 3 in the morning. I had to drive a 40’ boom lift out one exit of the venue, onto a public road, and back into another exit, due to there being too much gear scattered around to safely just drive it across the venue. for some reason I didn’t have a spotter with me (definitely a mistake) but the streets around the venue were well-lit and deserted (in case you’ve never driven a boom lift before, the visibility from the basket is excellent and it’s basically impossible to run over stuff unless you’re doing something really technical or in close-quarters). around the first corner, hugging the parking lane, I was stopped by LVPD. the conversation went something like this:

“hey you! what the hell are you doing on that thing on a public street at 3am!?”
“I’m just striking the event inside and need to pull around to the NE exit to get back into the venue...”
“....okay... but how do I know that?”
“...good point. that’s a good point.”

I radio’d to my lead to come out and help explain. when he saw I had a radio, and it worked, he just said “have a good night” and drove off. a radio and a high-vis really will get you basically anywhere

I had a white F150 with my company signs on the side and realized that I could park it anywhere if I had a shovel or some other tools laying in the bed. No parking at the beach? Restaurant parking lot full? Park on the grass between the sidewalk and the street. Even if there was no work to be seen in the area, I never got messed with.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

snugglz posted:

one time I was striking an event in Las Vegas at about 3 in the morning. I had to drive a 40’ boom lift out one exit of the venue, onto a public road, and back into another exit, due to there being too much gear scattered around to safely just drive it across the venue. for some reason I didn’t have a spotter with me (definitely a mistake) but the streets around the venue were well-lit and deserted (in case you’ve never driven a boom lift before, the visibility from the basket is excellent and it’s basically impossible to run over stuff unless you’re doing something really technical or in close-quarters). around the first corner, hugging the parking lane, I was stopped by LVPD. the conversation went something like this:

“hey you! what the hell are you doing on that thing on a public street at 3am!?”
“I’m just striking the event inside and need to pull around to the NE exit to get back into the venue...”
“....okay... but how do I know that?”
“...good point. that’s a good point.”

I radio’d to my lead to come out and help explain. when he saw I had a radio, and it worked, he just said “have a good night” and drove off. a radio and a high-vis really will get you basically anywhere

Apparently the real trick is to have somebody on the other end of the radio. Good to know.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lucid Nonsense posted:

I had a white F150 with my company signs on the side and realized that I could park it anywhere if I had a shovel or some other tools laying in the bed. No parking at the beach? Restaurant parking lot full? Park on the grass between the sidewalk and the street. Even if there was no work to be seen in the area, I never got messed with.
My friend did this for four years at college. Just parked his beater Silverado at the nearest construction site every day and never once got a ticket from the school's parking Nazis.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

oh apparently their bodies will just dangle there viable from the street until march when they plan to implode the thing
cool cool cool

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Uthor posted:

Relatedly, I have never been on a farm while overseas.

I have, customs got me to open my luggage and made sure there wasn't any mud on my shoes.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely
I had a customs agent take me aside for going to the Dominican Republic but not visiting any beaches. He was incredulous that I would go there for business and not visit a beach at all.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

ili posted:

I have, customs got me to open my luggage and made sure there wasn't any mud on my shoes.

The agent we talked to took my word that I’d scrubbed our boots down thoroughly (the truth), and told me he appreciated my honesty. The US customs agents who do customs at the Dublin airport always seem much more easy going than the agents here.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Me, mainlining 99mTc. I had to have cardiac imaging before a surgery.

The tech reminded me not to go through TSA at the airport for a few hours.

Oh does that one make you feel like you've wet yourself? I was injected with something before a scan while I was drugged to hell, with my gallbladder in the process of exploding. The technician said "something something warm feeling something" that I mostly didn't catch as the nausea and the morphine fought each other to a draw in my body. When she injected it from the big spiral thingy, I immediately thought "oh well if sitting here in a backless hospital robe in front of a pretty radiologist isn't embarrassing enough, I've just pissed myself as well".

After the scan was done, I mumbled an apology like "I'm so sorry about the mess, I'm pretty out of it right now". She asked me what I meant. I gestured to the (perfectly dry) table I had been lying on and she said "oh yes that's what I said, a lot of people get a warm feeling like they've wet themselves when we inject this stuff".

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Memento posted:

Oh does that one make you feel like you've wet yourself?

Nah that's iodine contrast, I got that for a CT once and holy poo poo.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

They injected me with something for a PET scan that made me taste metal.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've had the contrast that makes you feel like you peed yourself, and it's convincing enough that even after experiencing it a few times I still feel compelled to check.

I've also had one that I tasted as soon as it was injected. That was really weird.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love that my buddy who lives in Japan comes back every year with a giant suitcase full of stuff to give us and then fills it will stuff to bring back and they don't question him at all going either to Japan or Canada.

But if you went to the states and were bringing back a hoodie you bought at the gap because you under estimated how warm it was going to be you'll get grilled for hours.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Lucid Nonsense posted:

https://telstarlogistics.typepad.com/telstarlogistics/2006/09/what_is_telstar.html

White vehicle + fake company logo = no more parking tickets.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 6, 2020

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Apparently the real trick is to have somebody on the other end of the radio. Good to know.

“the con takes at least two, preferably three”

(or just a lovely paycheck and long hours)

I don’t know where you live, but I assure you this doesn’t work for me :( — perhaps I should print some local DPW logos?

snugglz fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 6, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/U6w3Jf5.gifv
:randpop:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There isn't a video (although an oncoming car saw it happen) but in some final destination poo poo, a tree just randomly fell on a passing car near here. There were rather strong winds today but nothing crazy so it's just extremely bad luck.

Install roll cages, kids.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
do not install a roll cage unless you plan to wear a five point belt and a helmet every time you drive

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

anonumos posted:

I'm theory yes, but do you have a plan of how to ambush one of these trucks, fight 10-20 heavily armed guards, somehow haul away a shipping container-sized block of hardened foam to your secret lair, chisel out the fissile material, strap it to a big enough boom-boom and transport THAT to your nearest soft target without the boom-boom or zap-zap killing you first...

Simply use a subterrene

"A real-world, mobile subterrene must work thermally, using very high temperature and immense pressure to melt and push through rock. The front of the machine is equipped with a stationary drill tip which is kept at 1,300–1,700 °F (700–930 °C). The molten rock is pushed around the edges as the vehicle is forced forward, and cools to a glass-like lining of the tunnel."

Ambush the convoy with a sinkhole and escape to your cavernous lair or other underground staging zone.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

PhazonLink posted:

what about the ultimate stink bomb, like that chemical that 1 drop of made a whole town vomit for days or something.

Hypothetically... is such a material possible?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Lucid Nonsense posted:

That wouldn't work in DC. While I was walking into work one day I saw a parking enforcement officer giving a ticket to a trash truck that was actively picking up trash in an alley that was marked no parking.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Hypothetically... is such a material possible?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thioacetone

Made the first time by accident. Must've been fun.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do not install a roll cage unless you plan to wear a five point belt and a helmet every time you drive

Don't forget about HANS

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ili posted:

Yep, Australian customs really cares about that one. Have had my shoes checked multiple times now.

After the third time I started to remember to put all the stuff customs might want to check at the top of my bag, so I didn't need to spend 10 minutes un-packing re-packing everything!

Edit:

GotLag posted:

Who's gonna shave me?

Communal shaving is large part of Australian culture :colbert:

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 6, 2020

Gajarga
Nov 5, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7naKmaHii8

Aren't ramps a thing?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thioacetone

Made the first time by accident. Must've been fun.

Bat-Man will finally pay ahahahaja

Although it says it's gotta be cracked at a couple hundred degrees and then isolated only in extremely low temps??

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If your boots are comfy enough just wear them on the plane, then you can easily show that you've scrubbed them clean without needing to open your bags at all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This works for far longer than it ought to.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Pretty sure that trailer turns into a ramp for just this kinda thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

watching this going "how's he gonna center himself on the trailer? and how's he gonna lock it down afterwards" all mysteries were solved.