Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The charge up spin attack means you essentially never take chip damage, so you can keep your HP full from room to room all the way till the end easily. The special does great damage in a much larger area than the standard spear throw and is decently quick. The big thing though is that it cuts out a TON of the possible hammer choices, which means it's very easy to get both of the spin attack options. This turns the spin into a super fast charge massive AoE damage monster that also heals you. It melts every enemy in a single charge, does massive boss damage, covers a huge area and can be used through pillars/walls to be incredibly safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

kaschei posted:

I wouldn’t have had crit without the thrust upgrade.

Attack speed is as or more important (considering mobility as well as damage) and 40% built in crit at the same time as a 200% additive bonus is nuts. I can sneak in a triple slash and away faster than two big chops. Big Chop Big Flop.

Depends on the weapon you were using. If you had Nemesis Aspect, Chop is just way better. Just a single Big Chop will out weigh all 3 hits of the thrust combo after you get a couple upgrades.

Ignoring the crit portion, if you have a nice Chaos Boon plus a nice main attack boon that gets you to say +150% damage with Big Chop, you're hitting for 225 damage. You would need +400% damage bonus on top of the 200% from hammer to reach that damage for Thrust.

e: Don't get me wrong, the thrust upgrade is very strong. But the Big Chop damage is just absolutely absurd. If you've got Nemesis Aspect for crit already then you definitely want the chop.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 5, 2020

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Cinara posted:

The charge up spin attack means you essentially never take chip damage, so you can keep your HP full from room to room all the way till the end easily. The special does great damage in a much larger area than the standard spear throw and is decently quick. The big thing though is that it cuts out a TON of the possible hammer choices, which means it's very easy to get both of the spin attack options. This turns the spin into a super fast charge massive AoE damage monster that also heals you. It melts every enemy in a single charge, does massive boss damage, covers a huge area and can be used through pillars/walls to be incredibly safe.

Ya, Guan Yu seems insanely good. I just unlocked it today and got an easy win on my first run with it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Traxis posted:

Ya, Guan Yu seems insanely good. I just unlocked it today and got an easy win on my first run with it.

I just don't like the low health against bosses who can hit like trucks, which makes either more life or damage resistance a priority for the run. I do agree it melts the poo poo out of everything though.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Just tried maxed Guan Yu and it is much better than I expected after the cursed sword upgrade. Being able to keep your distance while recovering HP is key. Even got a decent amount of health from kiting the last bosses.

I hate that it incentivizes the boringest loving technique in Elysium (repeatedly harassing spirits for HP) but I mostly just leaned on a +100% special damage chaos boon until I had both spin upgrades. It was a bad change from the usually good pacing of the game.

Reminder that dash attack boons affect the spear spins if you dash with them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Two mildly interesting things happened yesterday;

I was in Elysium and down to single digits HP. I killed every enemy but a bow respawner and tried to get it to kill me. It wouldn't. It kept running around the map but after what felt like almost 30 seconds I got the feeling it was bugged out and killed it. "Luckily" I died in the next room and then found the full life recovery dude.

A gold pot also spawned in the last boss's lair. I never noticed one before - it's entirely useless (as of now).

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

That heat option that limits your boon choices is a real heart breaker. I almost wish it didn't even show you.

:(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's only a real punishment if it shows you

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

hmm maybe I'm dumb but I've managed to beat Meg twice now but the next zone just wrecks me, I feel like my weapons are just plinking at the enemies and it takes forever to kill anything. Am I missing something? Currently favoring the exacryph and bow

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Xun posted:

hmm maybe I'm dumb but I've managed to beat Meg twice now but the next zone just wrecks me, I feel like my weapons are just plinking at the enemies and it takes forever to kill anything. Am I missing something? Currently favoring the exacryph and bow

make sure to prioritize hammers when you see them. They make a big difference.

And learn which gods go best with which weapons. For the rail, it's zeus and dionysus, while for the bow it's ares, since the doom tends to proc about as quickly as you're hitting them with powershots. Any weapon does pretty alright with aphrodite, although her status effect isn't the best. If all you're seeing are athena, demeter, and poseidon boons, then maybe focus on special or cast boons instead.

I try to stick with a strategy of picking one thing to focus on- either attack, special, or cast, and select boons that empower the base skill there. Try to stick with the same god if you see them more than once, usually they'll give boons that improve the previous boon in some way.

lastly, get favored status unlocked asap and see if you can't get boons to apply two status effects. It's a huge increase in damage.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 6, 2020

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Ah maybe its bad luck then, I've made it to Meg before with only 2 upgrades before and usually died there. Is there a way to get more upgrades to spawn or is that all rng? I'm pretty early in game I think so I have very few unlocks

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Get the mirror upgrade that gives you a second dodge if you don't have that already, and then dodge constantly. Getting at least 1 Death's Defiance is good also, really all of the first 5 upgrades are very strong and cheap. You should be able to kill Meg with zero boons reliably as you learn the fight better, with any weapon.

Learning how to pick boons and which combos to use is important, but if you're losing to Meg then you need to work on your base mechanics first.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Xun posted:

Ah maybe its bad luck then, I've made it to Meg before with only 2 upgrades before and usually died there. Is there a way to get more upgrades to spawn or is that all rng? I'm pretty early in game I think so I have very few unlocks

I do feel like the latest major patch reduced the number of boons quite a bit. But it's all RNG at that phase of the game. Later you'll get the ability to re-roll doors.

Maybe try to focus on getting keys and darkness for now instead of coin, hearts and poms to unlock more mirror upgrades? Always take hammers when you see them, take boons if no hammers, otherwise take darkness or keys. Don't forget to do the gem work-orders for the healing fountains and such.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The only circumstances in which I wouldn't automatically take a hammer would be for a dilemma boon room, and even then it would depend on which gods were on offer.

ed. Is it just me, or is the game scripted to not offer Death Defiances in the temple? There have been a couple times when I've made it there depleted, and I've literally never seen one in the stores there.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
You will always be able to get 2 hammers before the end, the longer you put off taking it the more likely it will show up later. You can take zero hammers until Elysium and then get both of them there if you want. There is zero rush to picking up a hammer boon especially compared to something like a duo boon room. Yes the hammer boons are extremely powerful, but you have way more control over them compared to your other boon choices.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Krazyface posted:

ed. Is it just me, or is the game scripted to not offer Death Defiances in the temple? There have been a couple times when I've made it there depleted, and I've literally never seen one in the stores there.

From the purple purchase kiosk? I've gotten it from there before.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Cinara posted:

You will always be able to get 2 hammers before the end, the longer you put off taking it the more likely it will show up later. You can take zero hammers until Elysium and then get both of them there if you want. There is zero rush to picking up a hammer boon especially compared to something like a duo boon room. Yes the hammer boons are extremely powerful, but you have way more control over them compared to your other boon choices.

The thing with hammer boons is that they usually present a change to your weapon's gameplay, which means the eariler you get the first one, the better you can plan your build around it.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
any hints on the hydra boss? Managed to beat it only one time, and after that mowed all the way through Elysium till the boss level. As much as those two were trouble, the hydra boss is me just spamming dash, plinking a shot or spell, and dashing off before one of the various heads wrecks my business. It's especially brutal on that final multi-head phase...

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Like pretty much all the bosses in the game, the bone hydra and its littler heads actually have very limited movesets. All hydras possess a short-ranged "lunge" attack; in addition to that, the main head can either:
  • Do a ground slam: just one during the first two phases, or three in a row during the final phase. This is pretty easily avoided by keeping your distance.
  • Shoot projectiles: a few slow-moving ones initially and whenever any lesser heads are out, or a barrage of faster ones otherwise. Also not too hard to dodge, particularly the slow ones.
Aside from a generic melee attack, the smaller heads all have a special move. Fortunately, they're colour-coded!
  • Tan: ground-slams much like the main head
  • Green: spits destructible orbs that turn into Bloodless after five seconds
  • Violet: creates temporary lava pools
  • Red: breathes a long-ranged wave attack
Getting past the hydra easily really boils down to eliminating the most annoying head(s) first. Personally I tend to go for the green ones first because having additional enemies around makes the encounter a little trickier; the wave-breathing heads sometimes catch me unawares, so they're also a priority. The lava pools are more of a nuisance than anything in my experience while the ground-slam heads can't do anything at all if you don't go near them, so I usually save them for last.

Of course it also depends somewhat on which weapon/boons you're using, but I think the above are good rules of thumb. Like I said, the bosses get a lot easier once you know what moves/attacks are available to them and have gotten used to the timings involved.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Kaincypher posted:

any hints on the hydra boss? Managed to beat it only one time, and after that mowed all the way through Elysium till the boss level. As much as those two were trouble, the hydra boss is me just spamming dash, plinking a shot or spell, and dashing off before one of the various heads wrecks my business. It's especially brutal on that final multi-head phase...

Each head sits there for several seconds inbetween doing anything, and the small heads alternate in a very simple pattern between "try to strike at the player" and "do something special dependent on the head's color". If a head has just finished doing something, dash in and start attacking it for the next several second. It'll then telegraph that it's about to do something, and there's plenty of time for you to react to that.

When the bigger head pulls back and hisses, it's about to shoot a bunch of projectiles. The easiest way to dodge these is to basically be running around the head and then dash through it once it starts shooting. The head is not smart enough to track you effectively, it'll turn a little bit but will keep shooting projectiles in a way that's just completely ineffective, meanwhile you can be behind the head just wailing on it in peace.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Adamant Rail's Hazard Bomb (the AoE around you with insane damage, but can hurt yourself) upgrade is absolutely ridiculous. I was stacking that with Artemis boons, and was critting for 2400 damage.

With Artemis, you crit a lot.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I’m a huge fan of the +60%-damage-if-you-stand-in-special-AOE rail, so that upgrade has always felt incredibly bad. Every other special upgrade is insanely good, though.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Best Trinket?

I started with Nyx (when you pick up darkness heal for the same amount) and found it very helpful for my noob rear end. Basically every shop, trove, and room reward has a chance of containing darkness and it provides a LOT of healing. Very powerful trinket when you don’t have 3 death defieds to lean on.

Then I thought Hermes (1.3% movespeed/dodge if you clear fast) was the pro poo poo. It encourages blitzing though rooms and you can stack up to like 25% dodge which is quite a bit of effective HP.

But now I’m chilling on Thanatos (2% damage if you clear without taking damage), and I think it’s the best. The gameplay it encourages is, well, the best. Clearly. Don’t get hit. And the benefit is quite powerful in its own right since it applies to EVERYTHING (including casts). It’s possible to get up to like +50% all damage by the time you hit Hades, and that is super impactful.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Thanatos is super build dependent. A 50% buff to casts is always good (if you're using cast for damage). A 50% buff to attacks/specials that don't already have a % buff is also really good. A 50% buff on top of a build that already has +400% is not going to be noticeable at all. Also the opportunity cost is huge since you can only use that trinket the whole run.

I generally start with god specific trinkets the first two acts to help shape up my build, then coin purse or another god trinket if I need it in act 3, then acorn or tooth act 4.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Unless I'm aiming for specific boons (which is not likely now since I've finished the final boon-related prophecy today - was Merciful End as my last Duo) I start with Cosmic Egg, then Coin Purse, then Evergreen Acorn and finally Broken Spearpoint for Styx. In truth I could probably drop the Acorn and delay the Coin Purse until Elysium so I can have two areas with the Egg, but actually the Egg itself isn't all that necessary either (at least in terms of the health saved... I would probably still take most Chaos gates even without it). I should probably play around with the rest more since I've become so inflexible with my choices.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I usually start with the Coin Purse, and then switch to a trinket I haven't levelled up yet for act 2, but might still want to, like Spiked Collar or Bone Hourglass, and then switch to one of the Broken Spearpoint (if I'm playing a button-mashy close-range build), Myrmidon Bracer (if I have other damage reduction and/or playing a charged shot build), Skull Earring (if I'm playing a long ranged cheese/kite build), Evergreen Acorn (if I'm playing an evasive build where I should Always Be Dashing), or Lucky Tooth (if I have an unimpressive build that I think will face tank the final boss because I suck).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I just do the boring God Boon -> Purse -> God Boon -> Lucky Tooth. I tried starting with Purse but I like having a clear direction from the first act, and I prefer taking the second God Boon on Elysium because I get to pick whoever I need the most at that moment.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I think forcing the boons that go with your weapon as early as possible is important. You want to know what direct you're taking your build asap.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Forcing your first boon means not knowing which gods are generally available even longer though? If there’s a clear preference (like Artemis on attack and dash with Hestia Rail) I could sort of see it but I usually care more about boon synergies with each other, getting exactly one boon from a god is usually bad.

I’d rather have Zeus on sword for all of Tartarus, but after that it depends on being able to get Jolted or two easy statuses, and even taking Zeus trinket is no guarantee I will be offered the particular boon.

I almost always do Purse > god > god > Hourglass (because you have a very high chance to walk into the last boss with +30% attack and an extra bloodstone) but if I’m nervous I’ll take tooth or broken Spearpoint. Purse first because you can be offered Charon over shadow or whatever and buy an early extra boon. I’m playing with low shadow (Megaera still complains if you’ve never used more than 500 shadow, btw) and just passing by a boon feels bad, man.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I haven't played enough games to fully level up all the trinkets yet so I'm still working on that

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
Chaos Egg all the time (except for last level)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

kaschei posted:

Forcing your first boon means not knowing which gods are generally available even longer though? If there’s a clear preference (like Artemis on attack and dash with Hestia Rail) I could sort of see it but I usually care more about boon synergies with each other, getting exactly one boon from a god is usually bad.

The game ups your chances of getting gods you already have though, so I try to get my first boon set up so I get more of it in the future. Like if I'm going a cast build I'll take Artemis so I can (hopefully) get lots of Artemis boons in general. The actual cast I can take from a variety of gods so I don't care too much which one I get. But I definitely want Artemis.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Does the god trinket actually work a second time? So if you don't change it out you get a second locked in boon?

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

genericnick posted:

Does the god trinket actually work a second time? So if you don't change it out you get a second locked in boon?

It only works once in terms of forcing a boon to be your selected god, but future boons will be more likely to be from a god you've already got a boon from, and the increase in boon rarity will continue to function on boons from that god.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
It doesn't. But it will stay in effect until you actually choose a boon from that god. So if you have Zeus trinket and his boon shows up but you choose a different room then it won't count that as using up the trinket.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

genericnick posted:

It increases the chance of rare boons but doesn’t force a new boon. I’m not sure what happens if it hasn’t triggered yet.

bamhand posted:

The game ups your chances of getting gods you already have though, so I try to get my first boon set up so I get more of it in the future.
My understanding was that the run seed determined which gods chose to offer boons outside of trinket forcing, if using a trinket early means more offers from that god later that is an interesting choice.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Last night I got Flood Shot, Dual Shot, Typhoon's Fury, Breaking Wave and Second Wave and here is what that looks like

Nastyman fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 7, 2020

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I’ve always been impressed by the overperformance of Poseidon’s dash + 1 or 2 supporting boons. The +200 AOE damage on wall hit is worth noting as especially bonkers. Just those two boons allow you to just dash through trash and instantly explode them.

They’re basically useless against Hades himself, but whatever.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I finally caught a fish in the Chaos realm - a Projelly. It gave a Titan Blood. I imagine there are other catches there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Apparently the game decided that Dusa and Thanatos were both going to do the last step in the bond quest at the exact same time in Zagreus's room, with both dialog windows physically overlapping and the choices not being selectable.

It kind of ruined the very, very long process to not be able to actually read or hear what was supposed to be going on.