Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
It's Warlord, so it won't have any sort of basis in reality or historical accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Arquinsiel posted:

Doing some quick maths, with a listed turning radius of 686 feet a Spitfire in 1/72 will make a circle on a ten foot table with three inches to spare on either end.

Historicals: Doing math to scale

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

At 1/72 you'd probably just use one plane and cards or tokens to abstract the enemy. But then you wouldn't need that miniature either...

It could just be a promotional tie in with blood red skies.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

moths posted:

It could just be a promotional tie in with blood red skies.
Buy a 1/72 model, get extra cards useful for said in-game unit in different scale?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

A tabletop dogfighting game but the table is your entire house and if you forget to make airplane noises when moving your plane stalls

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

PinheadSlim posted:

A tabletop dogfighting game but the table is your entire house
So like... Airfix Dogfighter? :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PinheadSlim posted:

A tabletop dogfighting game but the table is your entire house and if you forget to make airplane noises when moving your plane stalls
There's a convention run in the UK somewhere that does a tank battle on the lawn of a stately home. It seems pretty fun to be firing ATGMs at ranges measured in yards with 28mm tanks.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The "Nickstarter" for that new Muskets & Tomahawks is live: http://nstarmagazine.com/MUSKETS_AND_TOMAHAWKS_II.htm

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Pierzak posted:

Buy a 1/72 model, get extra cards useful for said in-game unit in different scale?

They did something similar for World of Tanks. IIRC, you got a 1/35 model tank and then a DLC code for that tank in-game.

That may have been Italliari though?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

The "Nickstarter" for that new Muskets & Tomahawks is live: http://nstarmagazine.com/MUSKETS_AND_TOMAHAWKS_II.htm

Replicating Kickstarter in it's entirety to save a % from going to Kickstarter - the ultimate grog ambition. Just need to be able to order by fax

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

moths posted:

They did something similar for World of Tanks. IIRC, you got a 1/35 model tank and then a DLC code for that tank in-game.

That may have been Italliari though?

I think it was italeri and 1:56 scale.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's definitely the Italiari/Bolt Action partnership - this was something else with getting WoT players to buy models.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

muggins posted:

Replicating Kickstarter in it's entirety to save a % from going to Kickstarter - the ultimate grog ambition. Just need to be able to order by fax

It's really just a pre-order with an extra step and a joke-y name.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Arquinsiel posted:

There's a convention run in the UK somewhere that does a tank battle on the lawn of a stately home. It seems pretty fun to be firing ATGMs at ranges measured in yards with 28mm tanks.

If I had inherited wealth this is exactly what I'd do with my time, and you bet your rear end I'd be doing it in a custom-tailored snappy uniform and insisting people call me Field Marshal.

Also, putting planes and arty on the table at any not-tiny scale always bothers me but otoh, planes and arty are cool models so

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Springfield Fatts posted:

Yeah, it could. There's no restrictions other than min/max limits per 1k of forces. At 6mm with smaller number of units you could probably get away with a smaller table than the recommended 5'x4'.

Seven Days to the River Rhine has a relatively small model count, it's usable in 6mm as well. I'm looking forward to PSC's Battlegroup Northag which according to their website is supposed to drop next month but I doubt it. If that follows the Battlegroup WW2 format it'll be designed to easily scale down in game size.

I had a look at the WW2 Battlegroup and I reckon when Northag comes out that might be a good bet. It looks like going from 15mm to 6mm might be as simple as just changing the ranges from inches to centimetres - a centimetre is roughly 40% of an inch and 6mm is exactly 40% of 15mm.

That way a 6x4' table could be shrunk to 3x4' (the tiny table I have to work with) without compromising the game too much.

Looking forward to that in a couple of months then!

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
It's even better than that: the models they bring out will be 10mm so conversion might not be that much of a problem. Battlegroup is pretty much scale agnostic anyway and plays fine at 500 pts (although it's harder to get some of the interesting units on the table at that point level).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

moths posted:

That's definitely the Italiari/Bolt Action partnership - this was something else with getting WoT players to buy models.

Italeri put some of their 1/35 tanks, and later 1/56 and 1/72 into rebranded boxes with WoT images/logos that also included codes for the game

https://www.italeri.com/en/category/52

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Wowshawk posted:

It's even better than that: the models they bring out will be 10mm so conversion might not be that much of a problem. Battlegroup is pretty much scale agnostic anyway and plays fine at 500 pts (although it's harder to get some of the interesting units on the table at that point level).

The only thing is they do individual casualty removal, which is fine but fiddly to track in 6mm, I wonder if they'll ditch that and go for stand removal in Northag if it's designed for 10mm from the get go.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I finished up my 28mm Union Marines from Crusader, really like these minis.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Those marines look great!

I’ve been messing around calibrating my 3D printer and I came out with this as the result:

It’s roughly 1:150, resized from a 1:100 model.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

That's absolutely superb, especially for FDM.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

If anyone has played Muskets & Tomahawks before a brief breakdown of the rule system/comparison to other systems would be cool to read.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Endman posted:

I’ve been messing around calibrating my 3D printer and I came out with this as the result:

Wow that really is good, I'd be very happy with those results

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Class Warcraft posted:

If anyone has played Muskets & Tomahawks before a brief breakdown of the rule system/comparison to other systems would be cool to read.

I have a batrep here in the thread, and probably lots of words about it. It's my favorite skirmish ruleset!

It uses cards randomly drawn for actions, although I think the new version allows you to have a hand of cards to play. Victory conditions are the usual kind, but there's a bonus one for each commander, like "revenge" or "impress the colonel's daughter".

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I have a batrep here in the thread, and probably lots of words about it. It's my favorite skirmish ruleset!

It uses cards randomly drawn for actions, although I think the new version allows you to have a hand of cards to play. Victory conditions are the usual kind, but there's a bonus one for each commander, like "revenge" or "impress the colonel's daughter".

Thanks!

--

Separate question. I'm applying a whitewash to a couple of my Soviet tanks. Would it be accurate to assume most crews would not bother painting new identification markings over the whitewash?

Endman
May 18, 2010

I've seen a few pictures of whitewashed tanks with red identification numbers on them, but I have no idea if that was standard/common practice or not.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

WIP of my new Calpe French.

Overall they are nice. A lot of details, but a bit exaggerated so that they are easier to paint. Basically I got enough to field four command groups and a regimental command base for all the Warlord greatcoat plastics that I got last year. These are much nicer, and I also bought a bunch to put in the front of the battalions to switch things up and make them look nicer.

I tried doing zenithal highlights with black and white spray primer on these. I don't think it's showing all that much, but maybe a tiny bit? This is after base coats and washes, but before highlights. At least the contrast of the two colours made it easier to see what I painted, so it helped my painting speed as well as let me be a bit lazy as the black acts like shadows where I missed a spot of paint.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 3, 2020

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

lilljonas posted:

WIP of my new Calpe French.

Overall they are nice. A lot of details, but a bit exaggerated so that they are easier to paint. Basically I got enough to field four command groups and a regimental command base for all the Warlord greatcoat plastics that I got last year. These are much nicer, and I also bought a bunch to put in the front of the battalions to switch things up and make them look nicer.

I tried doing zenithal highlights with black and white spray primer on these. I don't think it's showing all that much, but maybe a tiny bit? This is after base coats and washes, but before highlights. At least the contrast of the two colours made it easier to see what I painted, so it helped my painting speed as well as let me be a bit lazy as the black acts like shadows where I missed a spot of paint.

Great work m8. I love the Calpe napoleonic minis

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Endman posted:

I just recently got a 3d printer myself, and I've found myself being positively giddy at times at the thought of being able to print out just about any historical tank I want to now. :v:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I just recently got a 3d printer myself, and I've found myself being positively giddy at times at the thought of being able to print out just about any historical tank I want to now. :v:

It’s so much fun!

This has totally convinced me to pick up What a Tanker!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's so good for tank games. There's tons of models for every tank imaginable, because none of it is copyrighted.

My Flames of War German force cost me a grand total of 50$ for the infantry. All the vehicles are printed.

I wanted 10 BA-10s for a tournament - so I just printed 'em.

Granted, SLA printing being what it is - A huge pain in the rear end - If I valued my time it would probably be cheaper to just buy the models, but it's so incredibly satisfying to put a model on the table that emerged from a vat of magic goo in your garage two days ago.

It is also really nice that the threshold to try new lists using models you would otherwise never have bought, so you have way more variety in the lists you can play.

Two of my printed Tigers.

Not historical, but here is the latest thing I printed - a Chaos Giant not at all copyright violating original design called a Disorganized Títan.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You are getting super nice results out of it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Those Tigers look great!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They look overengineered and strategically wasteful to me :colbert:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Endman posted:

It’s so much fun!

This has totally convinced me to pick up What a Tanker!

I got a copy of the WaT rules for my birthday, so I'm already looking at what tanks I wanna print out for a game here before long.

Geisladisk posted:

It's so good for tank games. There's tons of models for every tank imaginable, because none of it is copyrighted.

My Flames of War German force cost me a grand total of 50$ for the infantry. All the vehicles are printed.

I wanted 10 BA-10s for a tournament - so I just printed 'em.

Granted, SLA printing being what it is - A huge pain in the rear end - If I valued my time it would probably be cheaper to just buy the models, but it's so incredibly satisfying to put a model on the table that emerged from a vat of magic goo in your garage two days ago.

It is also really nice that the threshold to try new lists using models you would otherwise never have bought, so you have way more variety in the lists you can play.

Two of my printed Tigers.

Not historical, but here is the latest thing I printed - a Chaos Giant not at all copyright violating original design called a Disorganized Títan.

I got a bunch of 15mm German, Russian, and American infantry still in boxes that are just sitting on the shelf not doing anything, so now I can just print out some tanks and support vehicles for 'em and actually get a game or two in. :v:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Any tips for winning The battle of Talavera? I'm getting a long held dream to play a large multiplayer historical wargame this weekend (Field of Glory Napoleonic 2nd ed), probably as the French :(. Time to learn how I can beat my own army.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Just wrapped up working on some paper dollies. 28mm scale based for skirmish games, mostly SP2 and Rebels & Patriots. Even made some scumbag movement trays out of cardboard and foam. Everybody's got two line infantry units, two cavalry options, two light/skirmish units, two cannons and some officers.

French

British

Spanish plus two horse limbers

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

Just wrapped up working on some paper dollies. 28mm scale based for skirmish games, mostly SP2 and Rebels & Patriots. Even made some scumbag movement trays out of cardboard and foam. Everybody's got two line infantry units, two cavalry options, two light/skirmish units, two cannons and some officers.

French

British

Spanish plus two horse limbers

That's a cool way to get a force done quickly, good job. :)

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
I've had Galeforce 9's so called Italian Walls for a while now, and they've looked decent enough. The raised base have annoyed me for years though.

Today I finally mustered the energy to improve them with grass and flock, and the result is orders of magnitude better than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Fish and Chimps posted:

I've had Galeforce 9's so called Italian Walls for a while now, and they've looked decent enough. The raised base have annoyed me for years though.

Today I finally mustered the energy to improve them with grass and flock, and the result is orders of magnitude better than before.

That’s a pretty big upgrade, nice job.