Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

you're all somehow forgetting the lightest, easiest, most elegant solution

on a motorcycle the spark plugs are just right there in front of you. it's perfect

This is one-lunger discrimination. Unless you are suggesting that you plug this bad boy in and then roll down a cliff, in which case I am ALL the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Slavvy posted:

This is sincerely one of the best ideas I've ever seen provided you have n+1 cylinders.

Post the Ducati that uses one cylinder as a supercharger.

Also, how did one avoid getting some vaporized fuel into the tire on a car that I assume had a single carburetor?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

This is sincerely one of the best ideas I've ever seen provided you have n+1 cylinders.

You can even still buy them! 35 bucks. I'm seriously considering it.

https://www.stopngo.com/engine-powered-air-pump-for-motorcycles-5-ft-hose/

Mirconium posted:

This is one-lunger discrimination. Unless you are suggesting that you plug this bad boy in and then roll down a cliff, in which case I am ALL the way down.

Hell, if you have a thumper with a kick start you can just use it as a light, effective foot pump.

MetaJew posted:

Also, how did one avoid getting some vaporized fuel into the tire on a car that I assume had a single carburetor?

The part that screws into the spark plug hole is a piston and valve. The compression and induction in the engine cylinder drives the inflator piston back and forth and it in turn pumps outside air into the tire. The engine gases never get into the hose.

I wonder if it works on dual-spark motors? Would you have to disconnect the second plug as well, or would leaving it on just give you mega  pumping  action  ?

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 13, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Most dual spark motors have a different spark strategy for the emissions plug and won't run if you unplug the main one; royal enfield is the only exception that immediately springs to mind but there's surely others.

MetaJew posted:

Post the Ducati that uses one cylinder as a supercharger.

Ducati never did that afaik, they're just spring chickens and that's an idea nearly as old as ICE's themselves which fell out of favor when gp racing banned forced induction which was well before Ducati existed. You're probably thinking of the supermono, where one cylinder of a v-twin is replaced by a reciprocating weight in order to get more revs out of a big single by reducing vibration/oscillation in a similar way to a balance shaft.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Most dual spark motors have a different spark strategy for the emissions plug and won't run if you unplug the main one; royal enfield is the only exception that immediately springs to mind but there's surely others.

"emissions plug?"

I'm assuming that's just some classic Slavvy derisiveness but I am curious now about what you mean. On my Hawk GT, which one is the "emissions plug?"

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
That is definitely the best solution. I'm leaving my prior post unedited so that folks in the future can see how wrong I was.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yes. Why do we need two plugs? Because the flame front emanating from the spark plug sometimes moves too slowly and can't burn every single particle of mixture in the time available. So you add a second, delayed spark event to catch these dregs as a quick and easy way of making the engine cleaner.

Usually that plug is in a very poor position to make anything approaching acceptable power and has a different (sometimes sporadic) ignition map, hence my calling it the emissions plug. This isn't the same as aircraft and stuff that have two plugs in mirrored positions, which is more of a safety redundancy.

I have no idea how the system on a hawk gt works, in the name of science I urge you to disconnect some poo poo and see what happens. Some old bikes genuinely do just fire both plugs simultaneously from the one coil, but if you wrap your head around the idea that combustion is a flame front traveling accross the combustion chamber volume, you can pretty quickly see that firing both plugs simultaneously will cause more harm than good without some very careful chamber design, in which case you may as well just design it so it works properly with just one plug.

Developing a dual map cdi and stuffing an extra plug somewhere in the old cylinder head is less costly because you can drag an old engine's lifespan a out few more years (sv650). It's revealing that race engines never have two plugs because an optimal design doesn't need two plugs. It's an imperfect crutch for times when doing it properly is simply too expensive but you need to get a bike to market with x horsepower and y emissions.

E2: the emissions plug is the one that sticks awkwardly out the side instead of down between the valves like normal.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 13, 2020

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Slavvy posted:

Ducati never did that afaik, they're just spring chickens and that's an idea nearly as old as ICE's themselves which fell out of favor when gp racing banned forced induction which was well before Ducati existed. You're probably thinking of the supermono, where one cylinder of a v-twin is replaced by a reciprocating weight in order to get more revs out of a big single by reducing vibration/oscillation in a similar way to a balance shaft.

This is what I was referring to. It wasn't a factory design.

https://thekneeslider.com/ducati-v-one-twin-to-supercharged-single-conversion/

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

builds character posted:

That sounds like a fine solution to me too, but I'm a little confused by "all that crap" when what you're talking about is a couple CO2 cylinders and the chuck...

idk I used CO2 cylinders when I pedal biked commuting to work and killed two carts refilling a tire after replacing a tube. just taking into consideration how stressed I was fixing a flat on a stupid pedal bike compared to how frustrated I'd be on a motorcycle to see that my carts had gotten me from zero psi to 10 might push me over the edge :shrug:

but yes, the pro advice is to just ride with someone who has all the tools to fix your poo poo! :D

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MetaJew posted:

This is what I was referring to. It wasn't a factory design.

https://thekneeslider.com/ducati-v-one-twin-to-supercharged-single-conversion/

This is interesting, but I suspect the 'gains' he's made are just low hanging fruit left neglected by the factory for whatever reason. I think that the same amount of effort put into optimising the base engine would yield better gains; they especially call out that it revs to 10k as opposed to the original 7500. Anyone who's ever dealt with the desmodue knows it can rev a gently caress of a lot harder, that redline was a deliberate design choice rather than a natural limit. Making the original engine rev to 10k and breathe properly while doing so would be a much bigger gain, albeit probably less rideable and fuel efficient.

But that's beside the point because using one piston as a blower is loving cool and that's all the reason it needs to exist.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

The part that screws into the spark plug hole is a piston and valve. The compression and induction in the engine cylinder drives the inflator piston back and forth and it in turn pumps outside air into the tire. The engine gases never get into the hose.

See now this seems like wasted effort. Throw in the fuel-air mix, then a spark, and you get a lot more gas on each stroke, plus you get pre-warmed tyres!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If anything you want a second adapter that connects the spark plug to the Schrader valve. Fill the tyres with low pressure mixture, ignite to pressurise.

Bonus points: any excess pressure can be routed back into the engine for a supercharging effect :2bong:

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
That spark pump ad reminded me; today a guy at college asked about engines with piston springs. The progressive, deepening, silent frown on the face of our tutor was a sight to behold, like a glacier pushing a boulder down towards an unsuspecting Alpine village.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Shout out to revzilla, I backed up my work laptop onto some thumb drives as I need to install a new hard drive, put them in the box with the A* jacket I was returning, then promptly shipped my thumb drives and jacket to revzilla. They called me and said I had included thumb drives, then shipped them back to my office for me for free.

I ordered another jacket in a size up to see if I can actually use my tech air race vest, but they shipped me a jacket with size 60 on the hanger, 60 on the sales tag attached to the jacket, but a 58 tag on the inside of the jacket itself, and it fit like the last 58. Thankfully it has some stretch panels in the arms so I got it off without my wife's help (just made my shoulder hurt for a bit), but still not going to work for an every day jacket. I'm trying one last jacket before I give up and return my vest, it's way too expensive to have it just sitting around not being used. They have a new cheaper air bag coming out that works with any jacket that has 4cm of space, I may just go to that. Shipping in March. That would be nice because it works with textile jackets too, and it's 100+ degrees in the summer here at times.

Return Loss
Jul 22, 2001

Back protectors: in jacket or strapped to your back?

I just got me a nice new Dainese jacket for when the weather turns decent again, to replace my aging Alpinestars one. I have an old Forcefield L2 back protector which needs replacing, both because the shoulder straps are shot to hell and because I think that the material doesn't provide optimal protection anymore.

And I have to admit that I have taken to riding without the back protector, as it was too much hassle. The best protective gear is the one gear actually use, so are back protectors in the jacket any good? I would be getting a Dainese or Forcefield one.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I've crashed a few times on and off road with the dainese d1 insert and I can still walk so..

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I crashed in an Alpinestars jacket insert, it was just a lowside so didn't really "test" it, seems like it would do the job though.

Make sure you get the right size. I went to a store to try three different sizes with my jacket and ended up getting a larger one than I thought I would need, it covered the lower back more and was less likely to shift around.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just got a new Gerbing microwirepro jacket liner, feels far toastier than their similar gloves, very pleased with it, though I've only taken the bike to 40mph today on a day where it's about 3C outside and bright.

The real test will be the 35mile commute to Glasgow.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just came here to post that Schubert C4 helmets are deeply discounted across all retailers. If you want a comfortable and quiet touring helmet, this is an amazing deal.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Nitrox posted:

Just came here to post that Schubert C4 helmets are deeply discounted across all retailers. If you want a comfortable and quiet touring helmet, this is an amazing deal.

What shape head do they fit?

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

ought ten posted:

What shape head do they fit?

Intermediate oval.

I tried to get one, but literally every site i looked at is sold out except Small and XS.

I love my c3, but it’s getting to be replacement time.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
There is still available on eBay, but get ready to pay $40 shipping from Germany or whatever. Mine ended up $377, in medium. Intermediate oval is the shape, yes.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Ah too bad

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes having a midget noggin is a blessing. XS fo lyfe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

XS: yay my helmet fits in more topboxes that anyone else's!

XL: yay free shopping basket!

M: yay it's out of stock and there's no colour options left

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Slavvy posted:

This but for every clothing/gear sale. “60% off?? Oh, only for ogres and dwarves.”

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Slavvy posted:

XS: yay my helmet fits in more topboxes that anyone else's!

XL: yay free shopping basket!

L helmet, S jacket: you thought this was going to be some joke about bobbleheads, but surprise, it's actually my cover of that Cake song.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Is it usual for regulars and flip ups to be different sizes within a brand?

A medium LS2 standard helmet fit me like a glove, but their medium modular only comes halfway down my cheeks :iiam:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nitrox posted:

There is still available on eBay, but get ready to pay $40 shipping from Germany or whatever. Mine ended up $377, in medium. Intermediate oval is the shape, yes.
Received the helmet today, and it's actually preloaded with Sena speakers but has some kind of Shuberth proprietary connection for communication system 🙄. Not going to work for me, since I'm using a 10C. And apparently can't use their existing speakers at all. But if you don't have a comm system to swap, it's a really good start. Also got mine in a solid color because I'm an adult ffs. Clown colors are still available on eBay from the same seller, in medium at least.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Thats difference between C4 Basic and Pro. Pro you get preinstalled mic and speakers and you just slot the Schubert sc1 in. Basic is for if you already have an existing radio.

Who cares about helmet colors, wear what you want. I got mine in white so other people on the road see it.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Sounds like I bought the wrong thing, and now going to spent time removing the comms bullshit. Because the SC1 system cost way too much money compared to the Sena it's based on, which is one I already have. If that were to use the same plug, I would have just plugged my unit in, but no, they had to make their own.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah, wouldve been nice if it used the sena plug, but the low profile mount is pretty slick. Shame the buttons are atrociously placed and the remote for your handle bar is another 100euros lol

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Every single review says it works like crap, the buttons are pain to use and you basically have to buy all kinds of Sena poo poo to make it work. It also lacks some great Sena features like boosted audio.

Looks like it was just advertised wrong, I never meant to buy the pro version.

But the rest of the helmet is fantastic, it's huge in size, but very quiet and fits like a glove.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Audio boost is there. First thing I enabled while I was updating the firmware setting it out of the box.

The one thing I miss is instant mute and ambient mode for music.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is it usual for regulars and flip ups to be different sizes within a brand?

A medium LS2 standard helmet fit me like a glove, but their medium modular only comes halfway down my cheeks :iiam:

Yep, the shell will be a completely different shape because of the need for extra reinforcement for the hinges, latches, etc and the cheek pads will normally be thicker to account for the fact that they're in contact with less of your cheek to stop the helmet turning in a crash.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Tried on a bunch of helmets today (Shoei, AGV and HJC) and they all seem to consistently squish my cheeks (some of them were to the point I'd bite the inside of my cheeks.)
Is this normal or do I just have a big rear end head

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Cheek squish is normal, if a fresh helmet doesn't make you look a bit like a hamster it's probably too big.

If they don't bed down on their own after some wear, you can usually order different sized cheek pads to fit the same shell, depending on the brand.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Solus posted:

Tried on a bunch of helmets today (Shoei, AGV and HJC) and they all seem to consistently squish my cheeks (some of them were to the point I'd bite the inside of my cheeks.)
Is this normal or do I just have a big rear end head

The advice I got here is that a helmet that's not squidging your cheeks in a little bit is too big.

I disregarded this and also some other helmet advice for what I thought were perfectly good reasons, and now I have a useless lovely helmet and the one I bought after figuring that out.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Cheek squish and biting the inside of your cheeks is the correct fit, as long as the helmet is not otherwise painful to wear or making you feel light-headed or dizzy.

This guy is a multiple time world champion track racer. They'd roll a custom foam liner for him if he wanted. Note the chipmunk cheeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He's also an absolute stickler about fogging, the second most important thing.