Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice. I think we were all playing too nicely for the most part and no one could really tell the game state. Looking forward to trying it again and it really wasn't as slow as I was expecting it to be. Poker chips were pro mode though and just made me realise I need more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Jedit posted:

You could just watch an unboxing video for things like this. I did, and it's total cards. So Vale of Magic has a total of 72 cards in the box.

Yeah that's true. I still run on a poor notion from early YouTube that unboxing videos are just the lowest form of vanity and forget it's an informative thing now.

I want to complain about the box being so big and the cards so few for the price but that doesn't account for most of them being clear, plastic inserts. I have a lot of hangups today!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
This is not a tabletop game.

I played Slay The Spire on Switch last night (working through my backlog) and the game is extremely good. It's a deckbuilder dungeon crawler, but with all the math, game state tracking, rules, and fiddly stuff automated in the software.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

FulsomFrank posted:

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice. I think we were all playing too nicely for the most part and no one could really tell the game state. Looking forward to trying it again and it really wasn't as slow as I was expecting it to be. Poker chips were pro mode though and just made me realise I need more.

It takes a good few games (especially with a group of new players) to really open up an 18xx, so enjoy the ride! After a few games you’ll get a meta when people get how to build track to benefit or hinder other companies, how the stock game and train rush fits in, and just general timing and value. Then you’ll start loving with the meta by being more reckless with your shares/companies/capital, forcing out trains early with E-buys, and how to leverage the special stock market zones.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

canyoneer posted:

I played Slay The Spire on Switch last night (working through my backlog) and the game is extremely good. It's a deckbuilder dungeon crawler, but with all the math, game state tracking, rules, and fiddly stuff automated in the software.

Yeah it's great.

Another is Cultist Simulator, which is basically a card game with timers on everything and rules about what interacts with what and how.

In theory you could play it on a tabletop, but in practice it would be impossible to upkeep. Having a computer driving it all makes it possible and it really does come together.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Slay the Spire is an amazing deckbuilder - it's too bad that "temporary trashing/deck modification" would be so painful to implement in a physical game, because it opens them up a ton of interesting design space.

VVV: Fully agree. StS has degenerate combos, but they aren't free, and your win rate won't be good if you try to force the same thing again and again. You need to be willing to follow what's available, and sometimes take cards that are unexciting but fill a need for your current run. Very powerful effects like "permanent trashing" are great - but they're also priced appropriately, so it's very rare that decisions can be made on auto-pilot. To be fair, StS has also leaned heavily on the digital advantage of being able to patch, experiment, and update in order to reach its current state.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 4, 2020

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

jmzero posted:

Slay the Spire is an amazing deckbuilder - it's too bad that "temporary trashing/deck modification" would be so painful to implement in a physical game, because it opens them up a ton of interesting design space.

Yeah it's awesome. I agree on the temporary trashing. The other neat mechanic I saw was the ability to upgrade a card for a combat.

The relics add a lot of really fun complexities that would be a nightmare to track in a physical game (don't forget these 15 persistent effects that all have different triggers and timing!)

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

One of the things that makes Slay The Spire so much better than other rogue-light deckbuilders is that you don't need to force synergies. In too many other such games, like Dream Quest, you need to lean extremely hard into your gimmick and get a degenerate combo to win. This does not work well in a deckbuilder where you pick from within random card packs. However Slay The Spire only requires you to get enough burst damage, enough defense, enough AoE damage, and enough scaling for long fights to win. So fixing holes in your deck now is better than trying to fish for the perfect combo in Slay The Spire, and that makes Slay The Spire much less luck-based than most of its rivals.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Speaking of table-top type video games, I've been enjoying Dicey Dungeons a whole bunch. You roll dice and allocate them to your equipment and try to kill monsters. It's not super complicated, but it's thinky enough and it's got a very nice production.

I also tried Armello after a friend gave me a key. It's sort of a role-playing strategy game on a map with multiple routes to victory. It felt random on my first play. I think I need more time to grasp the meta.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The Eyes Have It posted:

Yeah it's great.

Another is Cultist Simulator, which is basically a card game with timers on everything and rules about what interacts with what and how.

In theory you could play it on a tabletop, but in practice it would be impossible to upkeep. Having a computer driving it all makes it possible and it really does come together.

Got bad news about this one: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-08-30-two-women-accuse-cultist-simulator-developer-alexis-kennedy-of-exploitative-behaviour

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

Speaking of table-top type video games, I've been enjoying Dicey Dungeons a whole bunch. You roll dice and allocate them to your equipment and try to kill monsters. It's not super complicated, but it's thinky enough and it's got a very nice production.

I also tried Armello after a friend gave me a key. It's sort of a role-playing strategy game on a map with multiple routes to victory. It felt random on my first play. I think I need more time to grasp the meta.

There was an Armello goon group live for a while. Not sure anyone still plays. :smith:

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

My box from Cardhaus arrived a day early, so I'm looking forward to giving Marvel Champions a shot tonight. I also picked up A Fake Artist Goes to New York and Railroad Ink, the latter of which I've played a different copy of and greatly enjoyed.

I'm thinking on what sort of storage solution to use at the moment for Marvel Champions; my Arkham Horror: The Card Game storage uses BCW vertical boxes and dividers, with a Plano tackle box for the tokens since the core box is small. It doesn't look like a Plano will fit in the Marvel Champions box, so I'll probably see if I can fit a Plano on top of the box in my Kallax. Once there's good vertical dividers available (the ones on BGG don't look very good) I'll probably just ditch the box completely.

Magnetic North posted:

I really like Dicey Dungeons, it's got a great but simple style and doesn't overstay itself. It knows what it is and blends dice-chucking with some interesting decision puzzles in an awesome way.

Plus the soundtrack slaps.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Ending up backing Oath after going back and forth on it like 4 times because I'm a sucker for his games and there's nothing else on the horizon I feel a need to get.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Codeacious posted:

I really like Dicey Dungeons, it's got a great but simple style and doesn't overstay itself. It knows what it is and blends dice-chucking with some interesting decision puzzles in an awesome way.

Plus the soundtrack slaps.

Dicey Dungeons owns gameplay wise, but yeah, that soundtrack is amazing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I tried Watergate tonight and it's a really neat little design. Feels like 7 Wonders Duel meets Twilight Struggle, if that makes sense. The abstract puzzle nature and asymmetry of the decks and win conditions all fit together really well. Every card play has really tough choices since events usually remove the card from the game for a one time effect, but the "ops" value lets you get a crucial movement on various tokens and get the card back later from the discard deck.

The historicity is well done, especially if you're a politics or journalism junkie, and won't make you feel gross like a lot of historical "wargame"s might since it's not about a recent armed conflict. Even if you don't care about the theme, it's a clever little tug of war abstract with strong asymmetry and what feels like deep strategy driven by tough tactical choices.

Early impressions are very good and it might be up there with Patchwork for a small box 2p only game. If anyone else has played, how has it held up? All three of our games went wildly differently which made it feel like the system has real depth.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Feb 5, 2020

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Did you ever post that Arkham LCG collection you were thinking of selling?

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 5, 2020

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Crackbone posted:

Did you ever post that Arkham LCG collection you were thinking of selling?

Sorry, will do this afternoon!

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
Guys, Res Arcana with the expansion is really, really good. It fills out the gaps in the base game and evens out the options. Mind you, it doesn't prevent crazy combos, it enables them. Which is great in my mind.

It plays well with four players, which isn't the case with the base game.

If you like Race for the Galaxy there's a good chance you'll like Res Arcana too. It's simpler, but allows for crazier combos. It can get pretty mean , so if you like the solitaire element of RftG, that might be a turnoff.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Here's the arkham collection. If anyone can link me the buy/sell thread I'll post there too. Thanks

Arkham core x 3

Deluxe campaigns x 3

scenario packs x 18

playmat

wooden tokens

token bag

promo Daisy cards

player cards sleeved in Ultra Pro black

totals over $500 retail, I'll ship it US for $250.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Is Race for the Galaxy still the favorite pure "tableau builder"? Terraforming Mars seemed like a big ugly mess and Wingspan looks a bit shallow. I already own Pax Pamir 2e and Pax Renaissance so I'm specifically looking for an approachable game.

Bonus question: Roll or Race?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

admanb posted:

Is Race for the Galaxy still the favorite pure "tableau builder"? Terraforming Mars seemed like a big ugly mess and Wingspan looks a bit shallow. I already own Pax Pamir 2e and Pax Renaissance so I'm specifically looking for an approachable game.

Would you consider Eminent Domain a bit deck buildery?

And always Race

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

admanb posted:

I'm starting to dislike most tableau builders and still really like race, though I only really play it 2p against the ai in the app.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

admanb posted:

I haven't played it, but have heard good things about Everdell, and it is definitely in the tableau builder category.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

admanb posted:

I didn't like RaceftG, it seems like it comes down to whether you have a good combo to make the difference, and that's basically random. I actually liked Roll a bit better but I don't know why.

I haven't played Wingspan, is it more shallow than Race?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I still love Roll for the Galaxy but it wasn't a hit with my current gaming group. Haven't tried the new expansion but the first one is good.

Base Race (hurf) suffers because brown cards are too powerful and usually beat out other early combos. The expansions fix this however.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

https://twitter.com/d20plusmodifier/status/1225200972856561664?s=19

Going to print this out and make a slipcase for R&B

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Rider & Burro

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Lord Of Texas posted:

I haven't played it, but have heard good things about Everdell, and it is definitely in the tableau builder category.

Everdell is absolute garbage. It has no decisions and is very random.

Race is great but not sure it's super approachable due to the dense iconography. Conversely if your benchmark is Pax Ren and Pax Pamir it's a billion times more approachable than them.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Race with the first expansion arc is close to a perfect game IMO. Use the goals and prestige but not takeovers. Base Race is mostly about finding a good power or combo and pumping it hard, but the explore action lets you dig enough and the starting worlds synergize well with a lot of the deck. The goals give you leeway to push alternate objectives for points and prestige lets you immediately pull out whatever key card your engine needs, which shifts the game towards much more strategic planning. Combine all of that with the mind games of trying to maximize others' role selections and I think it offers some of the best depth to time ratio in board games.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
San Juan is Race with a bit of depth traded for a lot of accessibility.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
I think Everdell does a great job of occupying the casual tableau builder space, especially for players who care a lot about theme and style. We have had a good time playing it on more laid back nights. But, yes, it does not have the depth of Race.

I'm curious if anyone is familiar with It's a Wonderful World? Its expansion kickstarter is currently going. My wife and I have played Race so much that I'd like a replacement game that scratches the same itch. Could this be that game?!

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs

admanb posted:

Check out what I wrote about Res Arcana earlier on this page, also by Tom Lehmann. Awesome tableau builder.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Ogdred Weary posted:

Check out what I wrote about Res Arcana earlier on this page, also by Tom Lehmann. Awesome tableau builder.

Can you explain a bit more what the expansion adds? Played the base game and enjoyed it but not enought to buy it.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Bruxism posted:

I'm curious if anyone is familiar with It's a Wonderful World? Its expansion kickstarter is currently going. My wife and I have played Race so much that I'd like a replacement game that scratches the same itch. Could this be that game?!

It's a Wonderful World is great. I got to play it at Geekway Mini last weekend. It's a cross between 7 Wonders and Race. Not sure it replaces either, but it does scratch an itch.

Other Geekway Mini plays:

Azul: Summer Pavilion - It's Azul, but a bit more gamey. Not sure I like it better than Stained Glass of Sintra, but it's still really fun. Worth playing and finding your favorite Azul of the three to pick up.

The Taverns of Tiefenthal - Favorite game of the convention, honestly. Really unique deck builder in that cards are added to the top of your deck instead of the discard. It's a really cool dynamic in which you're trying to buy cards that are great for your deck, but also even better for your next turn.

Tiny Towns - Had my best score yet. One of my favorite puzzle games, honestly. Actually got to play this (and Azul: Summer Pavilion) with Jamey Stegmaier. It was a great time.

Paranormal Detectives - It was described to me as Mysterium for people who hate Mysterium. Not sure I buy that, because I love Mysterium, but it's different enough to enjoy both. One person plays as a ghost that can only do what cards the detectives play tell them to do. The detective players take turns asking questions and playing a card that defines how the ghost can answer. This varies from a ouija board to tarot cards to drawing with the detective's hand to mouthing words. Great deduction game, but after 5 plays we already started metagaming the solutions and questions, so I'm not sure how much replayability it really has.

Embark - Worker placement game that I really didn't like. It was mean and stressful and had so much player interaction and backstabbing that it felt like you had little control over your turns. Not for me.

Atlantis Rising (second edition) - Cooperative worker placement where everyone places their workers simultaneously. I want to give this another shot, but similar to most coops it has deck that you draw from after everyone takes their turns that undoes all your hard work. It was extremely frustrating because we got a really bad draw and it ruined the game for us really early on.

Antiquity Quest - Set collection game that gets a huge "meh" from me. Too much math with scores in the thousands. Nothing special or interesting to make up for the mathy mess of scoring.

The Grimm Masquerade - Another really fun deduction game, except this time every player is trying to deduce the secret role of every other player. Light, entertaining, and just thinky enough to be interesting. I can see getting this to the table with family and non-gamers.

Fantastic Factories - Another favorite of the convention. Really cool dice placement engine builder. The main complaint I have is that you can't really focus on what other players are doing. Everyone is just doing their own thing and that's fine, but I'd like a little more chance to see how other players engines work.

Village Pillage - Rock paper scissors but you're playing against the player to the left and right of you at the same time. It's fine. Nothing special but it was fun nonetheless.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

admanb posted:

If you haven't played it yourself at least give Terraforming Mars a try. This thread is really hard on it, but outside of our little ecosystem it's considered one of the all time great board games. It's been sitting in the top 5 on BGG for years. After ignoring it for years, I finally gave it 5 plays last year, and while I don't think it's the end all and be all, I do think it's quite good and much better than this thread gives it credit for. It's leaps and bounds better than stuff like Wingspan, Everdell, and Eminent Domain.

Do know it's a bit more weighty than those other games, so it also depends what you are looking for in a game.

Edit: Also should note it really needs certain expansions to hit its potential. Base game without prologues and such, is a pretty different (slower) game. So if you are gonna get it budget to pick up 1-2 expansions as well.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 6, 2020

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
They should put that on the back of the Terraforming Mars box.
"Better than Everdell and Wingspan"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Grimm Masquerade is pretty good. I tried it at Spiel, but by the time I did it was sold out and I'd already got Where Am I? anyway. Where Am I? is really good, but it's also nearly impossible to get hold of.

Kanban EV is live on Kickstarter, if anyone missed the announcement.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Edit: I read good

Ohthehugemanatee fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 6, 2020

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Race for the Galaxy stuff...

Thanks but I was asking about the Res Arcana expansion :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

The base game suffers from having some dominant strategies, and more than a few that are just unviable. The first expansion (gathering storm) is basically perfect. It balances out the main paths to victory, adds a bunch of variety and most importantly adds in goals which get players to compete for midgame achievements.

Unfortunately the later expansions in the cycle aren't as awesome. The second one tilts things very heavily towards military and adds takeovers, a thing that nobody wanted ever. The third adds prestige which makes production viable again at the price of a super finnicky and borderline overpowered mechanic.

I'd stick to the first expansion for goals alone and add more only if you really want variety.

I really wouldn't recommend Roll. It aims for simultaneous turns, but it often gives people vastly different amounts of stuff to do on those turns. And god forbid anyone have analysis paralysis in your group because if they do you're going to spend a lot of time watching someone rearrange dice behind a screen after you took your eight second turn.

the person you quoted was asking about the expansion to Res Arcana