Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
One time at that awful board game cafe a server couldn't find clear squeeze bottles so they put pink hand soap in one of the solid red ones, and of course it found its way back to the other bottles of ketchup and someone ended up putting it on their fries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Question for those who work in/manage places with a decent wine list: Is it a fair assumption that your house wine is actually pretty good to very good, and generally a good value? A buddy of mine who's a wine drinker firmly believes that house wines are the same as rail liquors, aka Heaven Hill, Taaka, etc. which wasn't my experience - but I wanted a couple additional opinions.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Question for those who work in/manage places with a decent wine list: Is it a fair assumption that your house wine is actually pretty good to very good, and generally a good value? A buddy of mine who's a wine drinker firmly believes that house wines are the same as rail liquors, aka Heaven Hill, Taaka, etc. which wasn't my experience - but I wanted a couple additional opinions.

If you have a decent selection of wine, the house wine should absolutely be something you can drink without regret.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Yeah if there are multiple red and white options on offer, the house red or white are almost certainly decent.

If they only have a house red and a house white, drink something else that doesn't require vermouth.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I have the worst loving luck.

I should app for BOH i guess...

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
It depends if you want to respect yourself or not

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

FFT posted:

Yeah if there are multiple red and white options on offer, the house red or white are almost certainly decent.

If they only have a house red and a house white, drink something else that doesn't require vermouth.

I spent most of my industry years in nightclubs (hence the question), where the wine list was often "You can have red, white, OR pink!" It was always mildly amusing when someone would order wine anyway, because it was clear that it was more important to them to be holding stemware as opposed to a plastic rocks glass.

Resting Lich Face posted:

I have the worst loving luck.

I should app for BOH i guess...

Sorry to hear, what happened? It's worth noting that if you actually have experience, you may be better off simply lying about when/where (use closed places!) to get the job. It will become abundantly clear very quickly whether or not you have the skills you say you do. A ton of places will never bother calling previous employers.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
So I'm thinking about starting a to go only soup place. I have some potential investors and local suppliers lined up.

Do I pull the trigger on this? It's gonna be low cost but I'm gonna have to do a poo poo ton of volume to make it successful. Help me goons

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Shooting Blanks posted:

We run a blind tasting commitee yearly with house wine candidates. Whole range of prices and distributors. When a wine knocks off a multi year winner we use that as a selling point when people ask "how's your house ****" Well it beat the one you really liked last year so just drink it.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Field Mousepad posted:

So I'm thinking about starting a to go only soup place. I have some potential investors and local suppliers lined up.

Do I pull the trigger on this? It's gonna be low cost but I'm gonna have to do a poo poo ton of volume to make it successful. Help me goons

#1 on your list should be preparing for hearing NO SOUP FOR YOU 800 times per day.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Field Mousepad posted:

Can you operate for 8-10 months at a loss, and still be in business?

Your competition isn't other restaurants. Its Campbell's, because soup is one of the easiest things in the world to make shelf stable and quick serv.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 6, 2020

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Field Mousepad posted:

As the Soup Peddler in Austin proved: this sort of idea can work (though in his case he was delivering/selling soup via bike so not quite the same idea). Doesn't mean even if you get everything right that it won't be a fuckton of blood, sweat, tears and several months of being in the red.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Field Mousepad posted:

What kind of climate do you live in?

I'm a weirdo who will happily eat soup when it's 95 degrees out, but do you have a plan for summer besides gazpacho and borscht? When my breakfast joint started doing lunch, it was in late spring. We didn't really start moving soup until October or so. They've since gone seasonal on doing soup.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Also, will you be located near anywhere that people go to that want soup? I will 100% not go even a mile out of my way to buy soup from somewhere; if there is a food truck or a stall on my way or at the place I'm at, maybe.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I am flying 900 miles for chowder tonight.

Do not listen to these fools. Have bread bowls.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Put your soup business downtown near a bunch of offices. Make it cheap and fast. The spot I used to frequent when I worked downtown in Baltimore (http://www.soupsonbalto.com/) has a bunch of different options that rotate frequently. The sandwiches are mostly premade and can be toasted/pressed on demand. I would eat there 3 times a week on average because it was the perfect combination of quality, price, and convenience. You could be in and out in 5 minutes even if there was a long line (which there usually was).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Good advice above me. You have to have a customer base very close that will want what you serve.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Since the original thread is now locked, just wanna give a shout out to Liquid Communism for hooking us up with these sweet chickencheese tags. That was so much fun, and I'm pleased as punch to have partaken in a goldmined thread. :)

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Field Mousepad posted:

Be in a relatively dense urban area, make sure there's a lot of foot traffic, and deliver OR build in a busy suburban shopping center that has a lot of homes and apartments within 5 miles... and deliver. And be prepared to do a fuckload of HACCP.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Canuckistan posted:

What's the profit on a typical bottle of top shelf? How about a bottle of something stupidly high-end like that cognac?

Minimum markup on booze is 300% and thats a dive bar. I run a liquor cost of 13.6% annually with around 1.2mil in sales. High end products have a smaller margin but still high.

Canuckistan posted:

I'd always be worried about some unscrupulous staff taking a serving from the bottle and topping it off with with something cheaper. Does the bar manager have the high end stuff under lock and key?

I guess any business owner has that dilemma where they have to trust their staff, but it seems that the bar industry is more susceptible to dishonest behavior going unnoticed.

Uh, what? Why would a general staff member do that? If you're worried about unscrupulous staff then the BM would be the person to worry about but anyone running a bar would be an absolutely moronic fool to top off liquor like that - the risk to your business is not worth it between the ABC and Equalization boards.

Besides, if one of my staff were doing that (lord only knows what possible motivation to do that would be?) I would be able to taste that in a second flat.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Your friend is clueless, BTG wine at any decent place is going to be great wine at a good value. Also, Heaven Hill is good bourbon.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Since the original thread is now locked, just wanna give a shout out to Liquid Communism for hooking us up with these sweet chickencheese tags. That was so much fun, and I'm pleased as punch to have partaken in a goldmined thread. :)

Well gently caress, apparently I need to look at the actual forum more often rather than just clicking my favourited threads. Feeling some FOMO type poo poo right now.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Same, it was a magical journey.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
The link to the thread for those that need it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908785

Carillon
May 9, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Your friend is clueless, BTG wine at any decent place is going to be great wine at a good value. Also, Heaven Hill is good bourbon.

I couldn't tell if that was meant to be bad or good because I thought "wait, what's wrong with Heaven Hill?"

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Where I work has an okay wine selection but our house wines are both Carlo Rossi. It's shameful.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Cross postin'

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

I'm working at a place that is opening soon, and they're using Homebase for scheduling and messaging, but the boss doesn't really like it. What are some of the other alternatives to it? We're using Clover for our POS.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

King of False Promises posted:

I'm working at a place that is opening soon, and they're using Homebase for scheduling and messaging, but the boss doesn't really like it. What are some of the other alternatives to it? We're using Clover for our POS.

We use Humanity and it's great for the most part. I don't know if it interfaces with POS systems at all (since we're a catering company and don't use that poo poo) but people can sign in/out from anything with a browser, or using its android/ios app.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos
I have used When I Work at a previous job, and it worked well. It wasn't a restaurant though.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

My place uses When I Work. It tells me when I work and syncs to Google Calendar.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

King of False Promises posted:

ADP sucks, but it exists. It seems to be widely used at medium-size business scale. I've used Humanity as well, and that was actually pretty nice. That was at a <50 employee business.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Goddamit I had a huge effort post set up, then my cat stepped on my keyboard and loving erased it.

Fine. Long story short: I'm a BOH woman. Despite this thread saying "great thing about the industry, you can get a job in a heartbeat", that has not been my experience. As an example, despite sending out my resume and applying to a place twice, I just saw on Craigslist that they're hiring again, and they've never contacted me (and I'm absolutely what they want, I have short order grill/fy experience for days).

My husband tries to comfort me with "well, I've never seen a woman cook there", and I flip out... then come to an idea. Now I'm wondering how many other places tossed my apps/resumes because I'm a woman.

Would I be an rear end in a top hat if I applied under a man's (nick)name? I have really short hair and look a bit butch (more than once I've been accidentally called sir), so I could pull this off. I just want a loving job, I'm broke as poo poo right now. I'm willing to do the equivalent of "yep, I'm Jack, not Jacqueline Dempsey" for a while; makes me no nevermind as I'm kinda genderqueer anyways. If everyone there wants to think I'm a dude, I can deal with it.

Yeah, I know this is a hosed up question. I just wanna feed my cats. :(

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

It is a hosed up question, but you're not hosed up for asking it, it's hosed up that it needs to be asked.

Stop putting your first name on your resume, just go with 'J Dempsey' and see what bites. If you're 1/4 as personable or well spoken in person as you are in this thread (which I've no doubt you are), once you're in the door you'll be able to get them to overlook whatever bullshit is in their head and offer you a job.

Also (and I don't know where you are currently), I'm sure it doesn't help that you're mostly in small podunk towns. Not saying you need to or can change that, but that is a big reason why your experience is different than a lot of other posters.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I wish i had bookmarks from my last computer, because there was a great article about a total glass ceiling moment where a man with a name that could be a girls name had awful luck finding jobs until they went 'wait' and put a 'mr' in their resume header.

I think its absolutely fair to shorten your resume name to Jack/Jacky and hit people in their preconceptions.

Personally, I have a convoluted and hyphenated last name, and when i make introductions I tend to use first + middle becaues its like, memorable and pronouncable and its acceptable enough; things which need ID's or formal paperwork get the last name, and its to the point I use it on work/professional email.

Play the trans card if you have to; If employers are going to gender discriminate fair's fair.

I also think its worthwhile to set up work-wanted ads on the job sites as well. Let people come to you as well.
But also :sigh:, look for work out of industry.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Pretty sure I found it. JD - give this a read.

https://www.mamamia.com.au/gender-discrimination-in-career/

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Anyone that doesn't hire a female cook is dumb as loving rocks. Every single one I've ever worked with can keep up with the men no problem and is far less likely to half-rear end poo poo.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Based on my experiences I'd never hire a man for any job when a woman was available. Males are just too stupid and lazy on average.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

As one of the, well, yknow, of the thread. Do what you gotta do friend. Get those cats AND YOU fed, get them papers. I like Naelyan's suggestion about using just an initial. And also gently caress bigotry.

...She says, still not having come out at work... but I'm gonna try to this year.

Sextro posted:

Based on my experiences I'd never hire a man for any job when a woman was available. Males are just too stupid and lazy on average.

:hmmyes: present company excluded mostly, except for Man-And-Dog if he ever came back. And most of my coworkers, etc. But, yeah. Guys are just, weird at times.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Manuel Calavera posted:

:hmmyes: present company excluded mostly, except for Man-And-Dog if he ever came back. And most of my coworkers, etc. But, yeah. Guys are just, weird at times.

If you're talking about who I think you're talking about, they're permabanned, tried re reging once or twice and was also permabanned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Hiring someone just because they are a woman is equally as bad as not hiring someone because they are a woman.

That said when I'm hiring, I'll hire the best candidate in front of me based on skills and experience, gender doesn't/shouldn't affect their work