Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

yikes! posted:

Are you confusing subscription with gacha?

if you read "people who subscribe and then basically forget about it but still pay the bill" as whales, it's still true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Cease to Hope posted:

if you read "people who subscribe and then basically forget about it but still pay the bill" as whales, it's still true

That certainly makes more sense than people being addicted to a subscription

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

yikes! posted:

That certainly makes more sense than people being addicted to a subscription

it feels like that complaint is really more about stellaris galaxy command than the EU4 subscription

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Obviously the next step is gacha for the dlc.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
BYZANTINE WOMB FLASH SALE!
+50% CHANCE FOR 6/6/6 MONARCHS

LUNAR MONTH CONTINUES
ALL HAN GENERALS +2 STARS
LEGENDARY INFANTRY 2x TRAINING SPEED
JADE EMPIRE TRIBUTE 8% OFF
EPIC OR GREATER ARTIFACTS GUARANTEED

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

I find the aluhat mob more annoying than even the worst that Paradox could do in an imaginary world.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

doingitwrong posted:

BYZANTINE WOMB FLASH SALE!
+50% CHANCE FOR 6/6/6 MONARCHS

LUNAR MONTH CONTINUES
ALL HAN GENERALS +2 STARS
LEGENDARY INFANTRY 2x TRAINING SPEED
JADE EMPIRE TRIBUTE 8% OFF
EPIC OR GREATER ARTIFACTS GUARANTEED

Took a hundred bucks but I finally got the Sueliman the magnificent summer edition *post screenshot of anime Turkish sultan in a swimsuit. The sultan is a woman for some reason. The phone is at 14% charge*

feller
Jul 5, 2006

big tiddie sultan waifu

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Pretty sure the hetalia and girls und panzer franchises make more money than Paradox.

HoI5 is gonna be interesting.

Old Woman Island
Feb 21, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

Don't doxx my gym membership :negative:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

yikes! posted:

big tiddie sultan waifu

Sultan is supposed to have a harem, not be part of a harem.

Paradox learn you are history!!!!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Chomp8645 posted:

Sultan is supposed to have a harem, not be part of a harem.

Paradox learn you are history!!!!

A harem of bishounen, obviously.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

A harem of bishounen, obviously.

I'd buy this dlc

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
https://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaza/comments/ezqwel/security_flaw_in_hearts_of_iron_iv/

quote:

It has recently been discovered that a security flaw exists in the current version of Hearts of Iron IV, Europa Universalis IV, Crusader Kings II and Victoria II. The flaw allows mods to run arbitrary code on your machine, allowing the mod to do almost anything: including, but not limited to, installing a proper virus on your machine.

dunno if this is true but hey it's some fun reddit drama to talk about

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Maybe I'm not thinking straight having just woke up, but isn't this mostly a case of 'It rather involved being on the other side of this airtight hatchway' (https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20060508-22/?p=31283)?

The games aren't running at higher privilege level than the person running them, so it's only that mods might have extra behavior. Like, they might mine Bitcoin, but couldn't continue after you close the game. I mean , if I got a UAC prompt or sudo request after starting the game with a mod that'd be something else, I suppose.

Then again, I also create tools that run code unknown to most users and package it up as mods, so my expectations are pretty loose.

Edit: it's still not good and I'm glad they're fixing it, but I'm also not too worried.

idhrendur fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 6, 2020

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Pretty sure the hetalia and girls und panzer franchises make more money than Paradox.

HoI5 is gonna be interesting.

hey if world of tanks can have a crossover, so can hoi4

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

idhrendur posted:

Maybe I'm not thinking straight having just woke up, but isn't this mostly a case of 'It rather involved being on the other side of this airtight hatchway' (https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20060508-22/?p=31283)?

The games aren't running at higher privilege level than the person running them, so it's only that mods might have extra behavior. Like, they might mine Bitcoin, but couldn't continue after you close the game. I mean , if I got a UAC prompt or sudo request after starting the game with a mod that'd be something else, I suppose.

Then again, I also create tools that run code unknown to most users and package it up as mods, so my expectations are pretty loose.

Edit: it's still not good and I'm glad they're fixing it, but I'm also not too worried.

Many people are (correctly) wary of downloading and running software made by random idiots on the internet, and will do at least a cursory check that they're not malicious. People are less wary when you're talking about a videogame mod that adds a funny character picture.

Are you suggesting that the game popping a UAC prompt and claiming it needs to update several weeks after you've installed a mod will lead you to automatically suspect that that particular mod is malicious?

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Jabor posted:

Many people are (correctly) wary of downloading and running software made by random idiots on the internet, and will do at least a cursory check that they're not malicious. People are less wary when you're talking about a videogame mod that adds a funny character picture.

Are you suggesting that the game popping a UAC prompt and claiming it needs to update several weeks after you've installed a mod will lead you to automatically suspect that that particular mod is malicious?

You're right, I was assuming my typical use-case was true for everyone. I mean, I hardly use mods, so there's a pretty clear distinction between normally running a game and times when I actually turn on a mod. That would be a stark contrast indicating fishy business with the mod. But for people running mods all the time, that wouldn't necessarily be so.

And goodness knows wanting to play a game makes me all too eager to click the UAC prompt.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've been away from Victoria 2 for a while but thinking of getting back into it.

Are there any good mods to look out for?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've been away from Victoria 2 for a while but thinking of getting back into it.

Are there any good mods to look out for?

I've been playing this mod of a mod a lot, it's the Divergences alt-history setup but with some more flavor and a different economic system. Gran Columbia's been pretty fun.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 7, 2020

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Victoria 2 doesn't have a lot in terms of "must-have" mods, as in UI, fixes or graphical improvements. Even music mods are almost non-existent. The most popular mod seems to be HPM: https://www.moddb.com/mods/historical-project-mod

It's fine as far as mods go, it's not too crazy. But still it has a lot of crutches, e.g. right after the start you get events about enabling features; a lot of decisions are about showing some other decisions or info and that menu is overloaded in general. It also has a lot of historical events that may make it feel too railroad-ish.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Speaking of Victoria 2, who wants to play a weekly multiplayer game of it?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914426

buy machine parts

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Please, these machine parts need a good home, don't let the Arachno-Liberals take them.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Please play Victoria 2 with us and build some loving industry my god we're dying here. Also kill the USA and ENG with us.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Do yall treat it like a game of Diplomacy or are yall chill?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Vicky 2 can be played competitively, but the game is just broken enough that there are a lot of easy to exploit things that make everyone hate each other. Vic2 however is also the paradox game that can be given a more cooperative treatment due to the shear beautiful janky-ness inherent to its design. We tend to play Vic2 as casually and chill as we can, the few times it has been tried to be treated "seriously" as a mapgame have ended up in disaster.

for example, our most recent completed game had players in Greece, USA, Germany, Russia, and Persia. With the focus of the game being on the USA spamming prestige techs and laughing, Germany industrializing and laughing, Greece trying to steal land from the Ottomans, and Russia slowly going mad while eating China.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 16, 2020

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Srb China

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ElBrak posted:

Arachno-Liberals

Spider libertarians: better or worse than normal libertarians?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a mod that has a more decentralized V2 setup so that you're not just bumping into the UK all the time. Like, I dunno, something that explodes the map into all the smallest breakaway nations possible.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fister Roboto posted:

Better because they can't blend in with normal humans so much :argh:

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Fister Roboto posted:

Assuming they have a little from column A and a little from Column B, they're better.

Spiders serve an important role in limiting pests.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

gradenko_2000 posted:

Is there a mod that has a more decentralized V2 setup so that you're not just bumping into the UK all the time. Like, I dunno, something that explodes the map into all the smallest breakaway nations possible.

doesn't that break the game's economy?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

is there anything you can do in vicky 2 that doesn't break the game's economy?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Slowly die as an opm unciv

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Slowly die as an opm unciv

This usually leads to iron shortages which ruins the economy of most nations 1900-on. The player being able to apply all the Metallurgy techs to iron provinces can barely keep things going.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
We did a pick up game of Victoria 2 in the map goons discord, the GB player decided to see what happens when you get rid of all the machine parts factories they had right at the start. It did not go well for anyone who ever wanted to build ANYTHING.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
You love to see the entire world realizing that they might actually have to encourage artisans.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

ElBrak posted:

We did a pick up game of Victoria 2 in the map goons discord, the GB player decided to see what happens when you get rid of all the machine parts factories they had right at the start. It did not go well for anyone who ever wanted to build ANYTHING.

I remember that in Vic1 that was an apocalyptic event. Most factories needed machine parts and there were no artisans. So if you aren't a GP it's hard for you to get any of machine parts even when GB produces them. You could get some from events I think.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ilitarist posted:

I remember that in Vic1 that was an apocalyptic event. Most factories needed machine parts and there were no artisans. So if you aren't a GP it's hard for you to get any of machine parts even when GB produces them. You could get some from events I think.

yeah there were certain inventions that would give you Machine Parts, but you would have to be very careful with your trade/stockpile options to make sure you actually kept all of them until you yourself could research a Machine Parts factroy, then build one yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

There are still a couple events that give them in v2 iirc, but I don't know what their triggers are off the top of my head