Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Qubee posted:

Harsh reality is better than soft advice.
Mods, new thread title please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

This thread has been an awesome resource for me previously. Hoping to get some advice on my current situation, though I'm not sure if there's really much I can do at this point.

I work in a large organisation (in Australia, for relevance) which has set pay bands similar to Government. I'm currently a level 7. About a year ago my job began gradually changing due to restructures and general changes in the way we work, and responsibilities and decision-making authority added to the point where I'm now doing level 8 duties. Also relevant here is that I really enjoy my job and am not looking to leave (more on that later).

At the start of this year, I investigated the process for having the job reclassified, which involves rewriting the position description in line with the level 8 descriptors, a justification of why it's warranted and how the job came to change, having all managers above you sign it off up to C-level (three, in my case), and then it goes to HR who does the actual review and makes the decision.

So I did all the work - filled out all the forms, rewrote the PD accurately, and approached my manager asking for her support to get the role reclassified, and a timeline for when this would take place. She immediately supported me and said she thought it was justified - she'd just come back from mat leave and had seen how much my role had changed while she'd been gone. 

I followed up with her the other day to see how she had gone taking it to the next manager up the line. Turns out, her manager immediately said "no way" and wasn't open to it at all. She managed to talk her into taking another look at it once she'd read all the documentation I put together, but it doesn't sound hopeful. Once that manager gets on board, it then needs to go to the C-level director for signoff, which is going to be an even harder sell. 

The approach from my manager now is that I need to write out all my objectives for the year as part of our regular performance planning, and ensure they're written in line with a level 8 role, and "go from there". At least she's keen to get it through and supports me? The problem I have here is that if the reclassification gets knocked back by either of the two managers above her, I'm still doing the work of a level 8 and not being paid for it (which this place has prior form for). They view PDs as essentially meaningless artefacts. I don't want to just sit back and refuse to do the work either, because that's not going to be a good look for me.

Any advice? I'm going to keep pushing, but I feel pretty powerless.

Another complicating factor: I'm pregnant (very early) and want to keep it quiet for as long as possible, because I'm concerned that once the news is out they'll definitely stonewall me as they won't want to pay me more while I'm on mat leave. I'm definitely not going to quit and lose my benefits either, so that's not an option. Unless I reveal the news and make them worry that they'll be hit with a discrimination case?!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Jumpsuit: what is your BATNA?

What you are doing now might be more corporate politics than negotiation.

Also, congrats!

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Yeah, I have poo poo all. They really need me, but realistically I can't quit or change jobs within the organisation due to the incoming baby. If management wants to keep everyone locked into low pay structures, they have free rein to do it.

I might post in the corporate thread, thanks for the direction.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Jumpsuit posted:

Also relevant here is that I really enjoy my job and am not looking to leave (more on that later).

I stopped reading here, because the rest of it doesn't matter.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
This is probably not going to be a popular response so if other good posters disagree, listen to them, but: I think there's nothing to gain from even trying in this case. The company is structured to prevent the exact thing you want from happening and it is not going to happen. If you're unwilling to seek a new employer then I think you just need to make your peace with them exploiting you for work above your pay grade.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is probably not going to be a popular response so if other good posters disagree, listen to them, but: I think there's nothing to gain from even trying in this case. The company is structured to prevent the exact thing you want from happening and it is not going to happen. If you're unwilling to seek a new employer then I think you just need to make your peace with them exploiting you for work above your pay grade.
I'm not a good poster, but normally I think EtM is too pessimistic. But in this case I'm 100% in agreement.

Jumpsuit, your boss 100% supports you because she benefits from your work and doesn't write checks. Her boss doesn't care about you. The C-suite definitely doesn't care about you. The only way to get paid in this case is to leave. If you're unwilling to leave, make peace with it and don't take it personally. You have a kiddo on the way, so your risk tolerance is effectively zero. Do what you need to do for your family, and when you're in a position to take risks again, go get another job.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Don't listen to Dik Jumpsuit, he is too a goddamn good poster!

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Dik Hz posted:

I'm not a good poster, but normally I think EtM is too pessimistic. But in this case I'm 100% in agreement.

Jumpsuit, your boss 100% supports you because she benefits from your work and doesn't write checks. Her boss doesn't care about you. The C-suite definitely doesn't care about you. The only way to get paid in this case is to leave. If you're unwilling to leave, make peace with it and don't take it personally. You have a kiddo on the way, so your risk tolerance is effectively zero. Do what you need to do for your family, and when you're in a position to take risks again, go get another job.

One of these assertions is incorrect

Eric the Mauve posted:

Don't listen to Dik Jumpsuit, he is too a goddamn good poster!

Yup, there it is

Impromptu Flip
Aug 30, 2008
As another example for the usual advice in this thread, I recently accepted a position with a good career step forward, ~+30% base salary plus additional cash benefits. Always look elsewhere.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Thanks guys, appreciate the reality check. If anything at least this gives me thought about whether I go back after mat leave is over or look to move then.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
if you did really want to gently caress with them, ask yourself boss if the no is because they think you are pregnant

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

One of these assertions is incorrect

Yup, there it is

Thanks guys.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I'd like to relate this without giving you nightmare fuel, but I'm pretty sure it's not actually possible.

I got laid off 2 months into my wife's pregnancy, so, even if you're risk averse, your employer is not averse to your risks. Fortunately I had something else lined up within two weeks, but staying where you are isn't always the safest move. You're definitely getting good cop / bad copped by your manager and her manager, so take your current employment position with a grain of salt in terms of safety and stability.

On the other hand fully exhausting your maternity leave / disability / etc and then starting a new job is about the greatest middle finger to a lovely employer you can give, so, if you can line up something while you can interview under the radar and push out the start date to just after you've fully sucked ever last benefit out of your current employer, that'd get you pretty even.

Of course in a civilized country this might all be different as opposed to the Hellacious Corporatocracy of America.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

On the other hand fully exhausting your maternity leave / disability / etc and then starting a new job is about the greatest middle finger to a lovely employer you can give, so, if you can line up something while you can interview under the radar and push out the start date to just after you've fully sucked ever last benefit out of your current employer, that'd get you pretty even.

watched a friend do this, it was great.

For those stupid applications that won't let you submit without a salary number, better odds of getting a call back and getting what I want by just slugging in zero or putting something stupidly high? I can't find salary info for this position in particular.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

THE MACHO MAN posted:

watched a friend do this, it was great.

For those stupid applications that won't let you submit without a salary number, better odds of getting a call back and getting what I want by just slugging in zero or putting something stupidly high? I can't find salary info for this position in particular.
$1.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

You're closest without going over!

Remember to spay and neuter your HR

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm fairly certain that most employers just plain expect to get mostly 0s and 1s on that form. It's their token ask to take advantage of the naive.

Would advise going low rather than going high with your non-answers. A high number can be seen as obnoxious; a low number is just playing the game.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
From Ask a Manager:
My wife read and told me about the article so I don't have a link unfortunately.

An employee finds a new job that comes with a sizable raise. Their current employer asks for a 20% cut of their new pay check because it's the networks that the employee developed at their current job that allowed them to get the new role.

Now there's someone who really doesn't get how negotiating works.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

bamhand posted:

From Ask a Manager:
My wife read and told me about the article so I don't have a link unfortunately.

An employee finds a new job that comes with a sizable raise. Their current employer asks for a 20% cut of their new pay check because it's the networks that the employee developed at their current job that allowed them to get the new role.

Now there's someone who really doesn't get how negotiating works.
A classic.

https://www.askamanager.org/2017/02/my-boss-wants-20-of-my-salary-from-my-next-job.html

Alison Greene posted:

A reader writes:

I recently told my boss that I am looking for a new job, and that I would be leaving his company within four weeks. When I had a few offers, I met with the boss and discussed them with him, especially since one of the offers is a current client. He said that he wishes me well and that he will waive adherence to the “non-compete” clause, as the client is not changing any services with his company. A few days later, my boss calls me and says that he feels that it is fair that I pay 20% of my new salary as a conversion fee to his company.

He said that it was because of him that I was able to interact with the company, and most recruiters charge 20% of the new salary as a fee. I would have to pay about $25,000 to my old boss because I have a new job. He said that it was only fair since he was “nice enough” to let me out of my non-compete clause. Is this legal?

Sure, it’s legal for him to ask for it, just like it’s legal for him to ask for your first-born child or a lock of your hair.

It’s also legal for you to laugh and laugh and laugh, and give him nothing — no child, no hair, and no money.

He has zero claim to any portion of your new salary. He has zero claim to even a single dollar from your wallet.

Yes, you met your new employer through your current job, as hundreds of thousands of people before you have done. That’s a very normal thing. It’s a huge part of what networking is.

The type of recruiter fee he’s referring to is paid by the hiring company, not the person being hired — and only when there’s a pre-negotiated contract agreeing to said fee.

As for the non-compete, loads of employers have people sign overly broad non-competes that won’t hold up in court. You’d be well-served by having a lawyer look at yours.

But what your boss is asking for is ludicrous and outrageous. Do not pay him any money.

I do worry that he will try to torpedo your job offer with this client when you decline to turn over your money to him. It would be good to be working with a lawyer before he hears your answer, because your lawyer might be able to warn him off doing that, possibly citing tortious interference (illegally and intentionally damaging someone’s business relationships) or something similar. Note that I’m not a lawyer and can’t say if you’d actually have a case … but a good lawyer is likely to have lots of tools at her disposal to get your boss to back off regardless. Call one today.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

X-postin’

Hooplah posted:

So after a FULL loving YEAR of applying to tons of jobs in a brand new to me city with zero contacts whatsoever, I finally contacted an old reference from my home state and turns out he's hiring for exactly what I'm trying to do. Two phone calls with him later and I have an offer letter. I guess I'm moving back across the country :shrug:

This is a little reminder to everyone that who you know is way more important than anything else. This job hunt has been the most painfully depressing year of my life, and the very minute I decide to give up with it and talk to an acquaintance I see results. I'm sorry to anyone else in the position I was in, but seriously make friends.

Now I have to figure out what to do with this offer letter. The pay rate is ~10% above glassdoor's reported average for the level I'm being hired at. He emailed the letter right after my second phonecall. Do I email him back asking to talk on the phone? Do I counteroffer with a higher salary? My initial guess for starting salary if I was forced to say would've been 13% higher than what he offered in the letter, so should I just counter with that? I mean, what he's offering is already a little above what I decided would be the floor for what I could make me move back home (which was around glassdoor's estimate for the position), and he's my future boss, but I feel foolish not negotiating somewhat. Should I do thing??

I’ll add that this hiring manager knows I have no job currently, so my batna is low. Is asking for 10k over his offer too cheeky given my situation?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Hooplah posted:

X-postin’

I’ll add that this hiring manager knows I have no job currently, so my batna is low. Is asking for 10k over his offer too cheeky given my situation?
Normally I'd say always negotiate. But in this case, I'd say just take it. It looks like he went to the well for you. It's 10% over market, you're unemployed, and you know the hiring manager personally. Put this one in the win column.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Agreed. Kick rear end and ask for a generous raise in 6 months or a year, depending on how much rear end you're kicking.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Thanks, guys. This feels like such a hard thing to decide on. In the phone calls, hiring manager did stress he has longer term plans for me if I stick around, with potential for increased responsibilities (facilities management experience being a possibility) along with commensurate increases in compensation. Honestly think I can trust him to follow through with my professional development. Back before I moved away I felt he was advocating for my future more than my last boss.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hooplah posted:

Thanks, guys. This feels like such a hard thing to decide on. In the phone calls, hiring manager did stress he has longer term plans for me if I stick around, with potential for increased responsibilities (facilities management experience being a possibility) along with commensurate increases in compensation. Honestly think I can trust him to follow through with my professional development. Back before I moved away I felt he was advocating for my future more than my last boss.

Worst case scenario you're "stuck" being paid a bit over average for a while before finding a new job while you are no longer unemployed, which is a huge up from your current situation.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would just take it. You need a job.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

As someone who was unemployed and job hunting for half of the time you've been doing it, I'd say snap the offer up in a heartbeat. I can't even begin to imagine how soul crushing it was for you, I'd just about lost my poo poo 6 months into the mess that is unemployment. Despite not negotiating and going in at a pretty average salary, just having a sense of purpose and spending the day with coworkers and having a good time is well worth it. Beats sitting on my rear end getting frustrated when job application #781 comes through as a rejection. You'll be thankful for just getting your mental health back on track, but you're also getting paid at the same time. Win win.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Qubee posted:

As someone who was unemployed and job hunting for half of the time you've been doing it, I'd say snap the offer up in a heartbeat. I can't even begin to imagine how soul crushing it was for you, I'd just about lost my poo poo 6 months into the mess that is unemployment. Despite not negotiating and going in at a pretty average salary, just having a sense of purpose and spending the day with coworkers and having a good time is well worth it. Beats sitting on my rear end getting frustrated when job application #781 comes through as a rejection. You'll be thankful for just getting your mental health back on track, but you're also getting paid at the same time. Win win.

It's loving enormous. I will say this last year has been one of my biggest growths in my understanding of myself, but it certainly came with a huge pricetag. I'm going to be so excited to do this work.

I also didn't specifically mention this, but I'm going back to the same institution (different dept, and it's a pretty big place) but my job is a rung on the ladder higher, and I'll be making 20k more than when I was laid off. I was pretty horribly underpaid at that point, but I also had no professional self respect and little understanding of my value.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Sounds like a good outcome all around, congrats. Take the job and enjoy it for the time being. Get the most out of it that you can and reevaluate in a year or two.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Thanks again, thread regulares. I took the offered salary. However, I did bring up relocation assistance, and although he said they normally don't do that, he was able to secure a $2.5k starting bonus to (more than) pay for my move. Pleasantly surprised! I didn't really push or advocate for myself much, I just brought it up and he made it happen.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

3. DO NOT GIVE A SALARY RANGE: A salary range tells an employer three things: You don't know how to negotiate, that you're not holding a firm position, and that you'll accept the bottom of that salary range. What possible value is there in you telling an employer a salary range instead of telling them the number at the top of the range? For the employer it puts a cap on how much they might have to pay you, it tells them that you're volunteering to be bullied down to the bottom of that range, and that you really don't know what you're doing. For you it does nothing good.
4. Try to gracefully move salary negotiation as late in the process as possible: A common thing is for an interviewer to ask for a salary requirement early in the process. This makes little sense from your point of view. For you to give a number, you would need to know the details about the entire package. In bolind's working environment, pension comes on top of the salary, and can be anywhere from 0-20%. Many interviewers request salary demands before granting information about their other tangible benefits, which is just... strange. Discussing a salary out the gate can be a way for an employer to reject you outright, when if they sat down and found out more about you they'd be happy to pay your requested target. If they have a salary number in mind while interviewing, it colors every interaction and evaluation with the question "is this person worth what they are asking?" It is better to have created a compelling case for why you should be hired so that your prospective employer can vividly imagine you being a part of the team, and then attaching a price tag to that reality.

Let's say I hosed up out of nervousness and didn't follow these rules during the initial phone interview, is there any hope for repairing the damage assuming I get to the next stage? I would like to have my ducks in a row.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Baronash posted:

Let's say I hosed up out of nervousness and didn't follow these rules during the initial phone interview, is there any hope for repairing the damage assuming I get to the next stage? I would like to have my ducks in a row.

If they told you what the job entailed and you gave them a number, you will look like you don't know what you want and they will be annoyed if you suddenly tell them a higher number later on. The only way this changes is if you find out the position has more responsibility than original such as finding out you will have a couple of direct reports.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Depending on how much was discussed you can also look at total comp like PTO retirement etc.

Maybe you can get something. However, most of that stuff isn't negotiable by policy unless you're very senior or a special position.

Maybe talking about the non-salary comp gives you an opportunity to ask for more money to offset those things. So, you could ask for more without sounding foolish.

Be warned though, If it's good benefits then you would sound foolish because they would know it's unlikely you have a competing offer or even just assumed better from past jobs.

Or chalk it up to a learning experience and in a few years go get another job, this time prepared to negotiate.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Inept posted:

If they told you what the job entailed and you gave them a number, you will look like you don't know what you want and they will be annoyed if you suddenly tell them a higher number later on. The only way this changes is if you find out the position has more responsibility than original such as finding out you will have a couple of direct reports.

I gave them a stupidly wide range (10k) because I'm an idiot and I'm just looking for advice on how to steer discussion toward the top end (or even middle) of that range rather than the bottom.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Baronash posted:

I gave them a stupidly wide range (10k) because I'm an idiot and I'm just looking for advice on how to steer discussion toward the top end (or even middle) of that range rather than the bottom.

You can’t turn the clock back on what you said, but you can still counter an offer. Based on further discussion of the position I am looking for x, which happens to be at the top of the range I gave earlier.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

You can’t turn the clock back on what you said, but you can still counter an offer. Based on further discussion of the position I am looking for x, which happens to be at the top of the range I gave earlier.
This also gives you some drat good motivation to ask as many questions as possible to give yourself a solid foundation to tweak the original quote. This is good sense anyway, but now you've really got a reason to do it.

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.

Baronash posted:

3. DO NOT GIVE A SALARY RANGE: A salary range tells an employer three things: You don't know how to negotiate, that you're not holding a firm position, and that you'll accept the bottom of that salary range. What possible value is there in you telling an employer a salary range instead of telling them the number at the top of the range? For the employer it puts a cap on how much they might have to pay you, it tells them that you're volunteering to be bullied down to the bottom of that range, and that you really don't know what you're doing. For you it does nothing good.
4. Try to gracefully move salary negotiation as late in the process as possible: A common thing is for an interviewer to ask for a salary requirement early in the process. This makes little sense from your point of view. For you to give a number, you would need to know the details about the entire package. In bolind's working environment, pension comes on top of the salary, and can be anywhere from 0-20%. Many interviewers request salary demands before granting information about their other tangible benefits, which is just... strange. Discussing a salary out the gate can be a way for an employer to reject you outright, when if they sat down and found out more about you they'd be happy to pay your requested target. If they have a salary number in mind while interviewing, it colors every interaction and evaluation with the question "is this person worth what they are asking?" It is better to have created a compelling case for why you should be hired so that your prospective employer can vividly imagine you being a part of the team, and then attaching a price tag to that reality.

Depends how valuable you are. I actually disagree with Dwight here. His analysis only holds when the employer has most of the leverage. If you have the leverage the only mistake you can make is one that ends the discussion. If you have leverage you can set and reset the salary requirement as late into the process as you want.

One phone call: "I've heard enough now about the opportunity to tell you with confidence that I'd be happy to work for you for $X. That's higher than my initial range because I've seen your that your needs are very serious and I expect I'll need to put in higher effort at a cost of higher stress."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if you have leverage it's vanishingly unlikely that you are posting in this thread asking for advice

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Hoodwinker posted:

This also gives you some drat good motivation to ask as many questions as possible to give yourself a solid foundation to tweak the original quote. This is good sense anyway, but now you've really got a reason to do it.
Yeah, I think your best move is to go over your benefits, and find something to latch onto. "When I gave that range, I was expecting 3 weeks of vacation per year instead of two; given that, I would need either another week of vacation, or for you to come in at $Y instead of $X."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If at all possible the best thing by far to latch onto for raising your ask is "I have another offer"