Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

Maybe setup Algo for yourself as a learning experience.

I was interested in that at my last place, if I move somewhere that I have hardwired, reliable internet again (hopefully in a few months) I might pull my Pi out of storage and give it a whirl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

you can cloud host it for the cost of a beer/month

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

But then I wouldn't have a beer :v:

You make a good point, I've got an AWS account and should really be working on learning that poo poo. Maybe I'll start figuring out how to do that at work tonight rather than watching YouTube.

Yes, I get the irony in sending all of my data to one of the biggest datascrapers in the world in order to transmit it privately.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yes, I get the irony in sending all of my data to one of the biggest datascrapers in the world in order to transmit it privately.

Have we tested in the courts whether Google/Amazon actually honor our requests to control our data when it's paid e.g. a paying customer deletes a file, it's actually been deleted and not in some high level amazon black hole that bezos or the feds can get it later

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

"The court finds in favor of the megacorp, now if you'll excuse me I'm going to fly to the house I just bought on lake Como, completely unrelated to this case."

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Yeah I feel like it goes a bit like that.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What's a good resource to get some more info as to what malware C&C might be getting hosted on a particular IP?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've heard people talking about how VPNs would help get around ISPs throttling traffic post net neutrality death, is there any truth to that? Seems like it would be a minor amount of effort for a company as big as Comcast to keep track of known VPN nodes and throttle them,

It is relatively trivial(and can be fairly automated) to get your own VPS with a public IP and run OpenVPN via a non-default port on it. Not sure it's worth the effort of blacklisting a few thousand? Hundred thousand? IPs on their part.

evilhacker
Feb 27, 2011

cr0y posted:

What's a good resource to get some more info as to what malware C&C might be getting hosted on a particular IP?

Passivetotal is a pretty good starting point.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

holy poo poo cisco

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

oh god what now

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I don't think you need a special event to go "holy poo poo cisco". I go "holy poo poo cisco" when I get up in the morning just out of habit. This is not a euphemism.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

oh god what now
CDPwn

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm going back to bed

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

tbh that's a better use of most cisco desk phones

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Cisco products having additional critical vulnerabilities/backdoors discovered is simply called a "regular day".

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Good thing they’re so cheap and easy to set up, otherwise people might be upset over this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Now make the C2 spawn a Multiplayer server and force all the phones into it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

gently caress yes, bring back the office LAN party.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Amazing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:frogon:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/sawaba/status/1226951570279063553

"They" being Equifax. Read the whole thread and sob.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

He doesn't touch on the ACTUAL most ridiculous part, which is that Equifax suffered zero meaningful consequences. Their stock price is at an all time high. The executives who were "forced to resign" or whatever are all rich as gently caress and never had to work another day in their lives anyway. Nothing changed at all.

:capitalism:

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Now now, the CIO and some other manager level guy got 4 months home confinement and had to relinquish their profits from insider trading.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Docjowles posted:

He doesn't touch on the ACTUAL most ridiculous part, which is that Equifax suffered zero meaningful consequences. Their stock price is at an all time high. The executives who were "forced to resign" or whatever are all rich as gently caress and never had to work another day in their lives anyway. Nothing changed at all.

:murder:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:killing:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I've been tasked with bringing a web application up to spec, security wise. Starting point is a plintext "password" column, and ASP.NET website code. (They have to improve securty to be in line with GDPR rules, and I get the impression that's the only reason anyone cares.)

Ended up here after some preliminary googling (also various questions/answers on Security StackExchange, but those tend to be 7-8 years old, which seems like it's bad in this area):
https://cheatsheetseries.owasp.org/cheatsheets/Password_Storage_Cheat_Sheet.html
I have no idea whather this is up to date or accurate, with argon2 being described as the new hotness in 2015.

Been looking at PBKDF2, since it thas a native .NET implementation, but being stuck on .NET 4.0 leaves me with no hash algorithm beyond SHA1, which I get the imression is a bad idea to use.

What's the preferred algorithm these days (Preferrably something that's fairly easy to integrate with a .NET environment)?

Also, should I yell at someone that we need to upgrade from .NET 4.0?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Can't really go wrong with bcrypt. It's boring by now so it has good libraries and people know how it behaves.

I wouldn't do sha1. Salted Sha256 maybe, but it's not a good password hashing algo since it's made for speed. It would certainly bring you into compliance and the upper tier of security, password storage wise…

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Nostalgamus posted:

Also, should I yell at someone that we need to upgrade from .NET 4.0?

If it all possible, convince people to start moving to .NET Core

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Docjowles posted:

well yeah but they are totally gonna send me that $125 any day now!!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nostalgamus posted:

I've been tasked with bringing a web application up to spec, security wise. Starting point is a plintext "password" column, and ASP.NET website code. (They have to improve securty to be in line with GDPR rules, and I get the impression that's the only reason anyone cares.)

I think getting off plaintext passwords is a Do It Now level thing, if these are passwords for customers outside your company you have.

If the only hash system you can implement on your website Right Now is SHA1, then use SHA1. You could also hash with PBKDF2 or bcrypt or whatever, as an additional column in your database at the same time, with the hopes that your webapp will get updated with newer .NET and you can just delete the old SHA1 column.

That is an unexploded bomb that needs to be disposed of, because if you're forced to disclose "we got hacked and they stole passwords in plaintext" it'll blow up the company.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/jsnover/status/1227048779439693824

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

scrypt has some interesting ideas including memory hardening (ie. trying to make it so that not only compute but also sufficient memory is required to attempt to bruteforce).
The last paragraph in the conclusion is also rather important:

scrypt paper posted:

Finally, we recommend that cryptographic consumers make themselves aware of the strengths of the key derivation functions they are using, and choose passwords accordingly; we suspect that even generally security-conscious users are in many cases not aware how (in)secure their passwords are.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sirotan posted:

well yeah but they are totally gonna send me that $125 any day now!!

That poo poo right there pisses me off beyond words. That the loving feds piped up saying that we should accept Equifax's pathetic "monitoring" rather than extracting whatever part of a pound of flesh out of those greedy douchbags we could just chaps my rear end. It's not much, but it's something. gently caress you - you work for ME, not THEM, you assholes.
:capitalism: indeed.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Klyith posted:

That is an unexploded bomb that needs to be disposed of, because if you're forced to disclose "we got hacked and they stole passwords in plaintext" it'll blow up the company.

Unless your company is named Equifax. In that case you're fine.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Darchangel posted:

gently caress you - you work for ME, not THEM

Lol if you actually think this

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Thanks for the advice. I've added the BCrypt.Net library form here: https://github.com/BcryptNet/bcrypt.net, and it seems to be working well so far.

The project's not quite a time bomb yet - it's a former internal tool that's being opened for outside access, with a new/separate user database, so old data shouldn't be a concern. On the other hand, they've already started public testing before I had time to actually implement this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I assume you've considered that that bcrypt implementation might not be as audited (or audited at all?) compared with the original?