Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe in terms of Fun Factor at a certain point but the aesthetics and writing are so much better in 2, by miles. Also I think I like the relatively restrained combat vs 3’s sparklefest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

But is it better than PoE? yes

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Andrast posted:

Hot take: Diablo 3 is better than Diablo 2

i definitely like 3 more. for me it's 3 > 1 > 2. didn't play 3 until a couple of years ago though, i hear it used to be way worse

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Hot take: I had fun with Diablo 3 at launch

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Diablo 3 is a very good game, I just wish someone other than Blizzard was running it because I have no desire to play it anymore due to its ownership.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Thankfully we are not short of good clickfest ARPGs.

e: Wasn't D2 a mess on launch too? I remember hearing about a boss killing lots of players before their PCs finished loading the area the boss was in.

a glitch fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 6, 2020

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

:same:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Path of Exile is the best of the action RPGs right now. Grim Dawn, and Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor are also pretty good.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Did you play it on Inferno difficulty? I posit that it's literally impossible to have had fun on Inferno difficulty at launch. I mean, it was basically designed to be impossible.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

a glitch posted:

Your avatar says otherwise

I have inhaled the magical powers of emil :)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

having played both grim dawn and path of exile at the insistence of friends i can 100% recommend them to people for the "likes assigning 20 skillpoints to things to see a 0.1% attack speed increase" crowd, they are absolutely built from the ground up to be brain candy for them

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Volte posted:

Did you play it on Inferno? I posit that it's literally impossible to have had fun on Inferno difficulty at launch. I mean, it was basically designed to be impossible.

Na i ran through the campaign on the normal difficulty with a witch doctor and then stopped

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Na i ran through the campaign on the normal difficulty with a witch doctor and then stopped
Yeah in order to "finish" the game you had to do it on all four difficulties and the final one was, in the words of lead designer Jay Wilson, tuned to be barely beatable by the world's best players and then the difficulty was doubled.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Volte posted:

Yeah in order to "finish" the game you had to do it on all four difficulties and the final one was, in the words of lead designer Jay Wilson, tuned to be barely beatable by the world's best players and then the difficulty was doubled.

Did anyone ask them "why" at any point?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Diablo3 (console) is great, great, great! I wish there were more games like it but I have yet to find any really. I do not enjoy Diablo3 PC as much and it is entirely due to the control scheme. Console D3 feels more responsive! :D

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
diablo 3 is good now but is on maintenance

diablo 2 holds up okay except for the skill system

Poe would be good if every character started like 5 hours into the game

Marvel heroes rest in peace

Grim Dawn is decent except they forgot to make putting points into skills satisfying

Sacred let's you get a Jason mask

Sacred 2 let's you be Anubis MegaMan riding in a big wheel but otherwise kinda bites

Torchlight 1 is basic but okay

Torchlight 2 is just bad

Van Helsing seems okay but I bounced off them for whatever reason, you can be a mech which is neat

yeah I'll take a #2 with a large mountain dew please

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Volte posted:

Good job i stopped playing when i was bored then!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Diablo 2 has better music

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

having played both grim dawn and path of exile at the insistence of friends i can 100% recommend them to people for the "likes assigning 20 skillpoints to things to see a 0.1% attack speed increase" crowd, they are absolutely built from the ground up to be brain candy for them

Having played lots of PoE I think it’s more like, each five skill points you get to a node that increases your DPS by like 50%, trouble is that eventually numbers get really inflated and you’re kinda expected to be doing millions of damage

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
oh and the dins games are neat but don't feel good to actually play

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i reinstalled depths of peril the other day, thats a good rear end game. i definitely want to balance dungeon crawling with diplomacy and politics

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

When's PoE2 coming out anyway? The trailer for that looked good fun.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

Having played lots of PoE I think it’s more like, each five skill points you get to a node that increases your DPS by like 50%, trouble is that eventually numbers get really inflated and you’re kinda expected to be doing millions of damage

i should also point out that playing each of them has revealed unto me that i revile their specific form of gameplay above all else these days so it's not like i'm an unbiased actor. i'd suck down a jrpg, or a procedurally generated survival game, or an animal crossing do nothing simulator and ask for more before i ever want to touch a skillpoint/trash loot/fraction of a percent arpg ever again

i'd say it's part of the reason my opinion on nioh is so lukewarm but fortunately on the basic difficulty you don't have to pay much attention to loot nonsense at all so it came out in kind of a wash

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Diablo 3's launch drove me to Path of Exile in its early days, but it's gotten away from me in the recent leagues. There's just so much poo poo to internalize, and this genre is one I'm attracted to because I like to just click stuff to death and have number go up. Every new league has a whole laundry list of tasks to do to get to the really fun part - running maps and looking for gear. I was hyped when they released all 10 acts but in retrospect I think my favourite era of the game was just running through Acts 1-3 three (four?) times. It was a much shallower game mechanically, but the character/skill building aspect was still very strong, and it was possible to do it without getting massively into the theorycrafting of it all or else having to read and refer to a build every five minutes.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

stev posted:

The beta won't be till 'very late 2020' so I imagine we're looking at early to mid 2021.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

oh also playing diablo-like games with a mouse sucks rear end, i saw the light when i played dungeon siege on psp and i'll never go back to clicking on poo poo 10000x a minute

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Path of Exile felt like they wanted to give you thar sweet demon clicking hit that Diablo gives but then it also wanted to be the only game you'd ever play

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

stev posted:

Next year

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've never played Diablo but all the diablo-likes I've played have been intensely boring

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Good job i stopped playing when i was bored then!
You did the right thing. There wasn't much of an endgame anyway, especially since at launch the endgame was basically banging your head against some seriously terrible poo poo. They not only gave enemies (even white trash mobs) an absurd amount of health, they also put enrage timers on them so that if you took too long to kill an enemy, they'd become essentially impossible to kill and then reset back to full health.

I played it over a lazy summer between university semesters when I had not much else to do, and was lured by the prospect of finding a $500 item I could sell on the auction house. I think in the hundreds of hours I played that summer, I made my money back on the game. Still probably not worth it.

Andrast posted:

Did anyone ask them "why" at any point?
Nobody ever stopped asking why.

Weedle posted:

oh also playing diablo-like games with a mouse sucks rear end, i saw the light when i played dungeon siege on psp and i'll never go back to clicking on poo poo 10000x a minute
The secret is that you can usually just hold down the mouse button.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
quote != edit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

Poe would be good if every character started like 5 hours into the game

Path of Exile 2 is kinda doing this by making characters more powerful out of the gate, and giving you more freedom with gems and customization, on top of adding a whole new 7 act campaign bumping the single player up to 17 acts.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

PoE does regularly give me Gamer Cramps in my mouse hand

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Weedle posted:

Console diablo 3 :D If they ever brought the console ui/control system to the PC then I would have played PC way more!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Titan Quest is probably the dullest game I've ever finished. Then I start again in a higher difficulty.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Diablo III at launch was a good example of having all of the money in the world not meaning much if you're creatively bankrupt. It was put together by a lot of talentless hacks for who game development probably should not have been their first choice of a career.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

bumping the single player up to 17 acts.

Oh no.

We'll be able to effectively ignore all of the PoE1 content right? I never want to look at that poo poo again.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

stev posted:

Oh no.

We'll be able to effectively ignore all of the PoE1 content right? I never want to look at that poo poo again.

Not sure just yet, its still a long ways away. My assumption has been you'll be playing through PoE1 first. The way Grinding Gear announced it made it seem like PoE was just upgrading into PoE 2 and they would all be one game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

no diablo 3 at launch was perfectly designed. its just that the design goal was to direct people's attention to a real money marketplace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Path of Exile felt like they wanted to give you thar sweet demon clicking hit that Diablo gives but then it also wanted to be the only game you'd ever play

Yeah, PoE just seems like it wants way too much investment. ARPGs really aren't a type of game I want to play that much.