Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mordja posted:

Pre Warhammer my real Total War experience was rather limited, so all I can think of is the AI in Medieval 2 sending billions of four-unit stacks to take over undefended towns and shudder.

Try Shogun 2, it feels like the peak to me though I haven't played 3K yet. All the good parts of all the games and I don't remember any bad parts? Sea battles I guess were a regression and kind of meh but they only really ever mattered in empire.

I do say the WH franchise did push the series in a lot of good ways and it's definitely one of my favorites still, the campaigns just seen to get boring faster.

I kinda enjoyed the WH1 region mechanics more too, you at least had to put more thought into territory control and acquisition.. can I afford to take out the dwarves when I have to pass two dead regions collecting attention the whole time? Razing areas for buffer etc. Now they just turn into skaven cities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Not sure if there are any mods that do this, but all of these things are present in Three Kingdoms to some extent, and I hope some of them get incorporated into Warhammer 3 somehow. I like the Warhammer setting a lot more but 3K is a lot better about the AI being willing to fight field battles, on any scale. There are a lot of other mechanics I won't bother getting into since there's another thread for it, but poor management of public order and overextending yourself can sink you much faster in a way I haven't experienced in Warhammer.

Yeah there are a lot of changes in 3k that I really like and would love to see used in wh3. The setting, factions, and unit variety in WH2 is amazing, but the underlying mechanics in 3k feel better, I think.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Mr. Crow posted:

Try Shogun 2, it feels like the peak to me though I haven't played 3K yet. All the good parts of all the games and I don't remember any bad parts? Sea battles I guess were a regression and kind of meh but they only really ever mattered in empire.

I do say the WH franchise did push the series in a lot of good ways and it's definitely one of my favorites still, the campaigns just seen to get boring faster.

I kinda enjoyed the WH1 region mechanics more too, you at least had to put more thought into territory control and acquisition.. can I afford to take out the dwarves when I have to pass two dead regions collecting attention the whole time? Razing areas for buffer etc. Now they just turn into skaven cities

Shogun 2 suffers from two things: one-unit stacks going around messing with your infrastructure in the campaign map and having no option to skip AI movement between turns, forcing you to watch EVERY. SINGLE. SHIP. sail around Japan, especially magnified if you own trading routes.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Safety Factor posted:

HOLA SKINKS!

As always,

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah there are a lot of changes in 3k that I really like and would love to see used in wh3. The setting, factions, and unit variety in WH2 is amazing, but the underlying mechanics in 3k feel better, I think.

honestly after having hit up 3Ks recently, with a new patch and everything, warhams just feels like a much better game overall.

The diplomacy, or more importantly knowing WHY the AI actually accepts/rejects things is better, but also leads to wonky fun cheese. everything else felt worse to me, imo, tho

unit variety is non-existent, provinces not being used to generate units (outside of unlocking research I guess) means that every province is built the same depending on what color type it is, leading to an already kinda samey experience to be double downed on. lords are so much worse in comparison to lord/heroes and units being solidly attached to lords means you both don't really give a poo poo if you take losses once you hit a certain replenishment threshold, even total losses, and you probably aren't really changing up your army comp at a certain point.

felt bad.

that said in theory being able to just pick up and teleport your army across the map for the low low price of rehiring all the lords and replenishing was baller and I wish there was a similar costly teleportation mechanic for sprawling, attacked-from-all-sides countries like the high elves or empire. both games have a nasty habit of it taking far to long to get somewhere.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Mordja posted:

Sonofabitch, I thought VC being unable to raise dead at sea was a feature, not a bug. Would have made that game go a lot faster.

I think it was intended to be a balancing feature - and was about as popular among VC players as the Port Nerf was among just about everyone.

Personally I'd have lowered the sea and land pools (and made bloated corpses more likely at sea but handguns a land only thing because they rust)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I had an idea for a hero Overhaul :

Heroes can form 'detachments' that can take up to 4 units and functioning as a mini army. This has some restrictions- army stances are more limited (though base standard movement is 25% greater than lord armies). They also are limited to mostly taking T1 units as well as units that match the 'theme' of the hero (plague priests can take plague monks, hags can take witch elves, etc). The specific hero type also determines what army stances are available--wizards can channel, assassins can ambush, etc.

The detachment can Garrison just like a regular army and some heroes are designed around using them and a few cheap units to run around reinforcing vulnerable settlements. Exploring ruins/sea treasures can sometimes give an option to have a battle with a comparable force. Some legendary lord quest chains also have a detachment fighting a small setpiece battle instead of just "have your hero assassinate a vampire count hero" type objectives.

A tiny army like this might not normally accomplish much, easily getting crushed by primary armies. Being small, they also have to replenish ammo and lousy /abandoned artillery over time vs getting them back instantly after the battle. Instead of the existing hero aims against targets, you now 'lightning raid' or 'bombard' your target. You have a % chance of success here; if you fail your retreat is cut off and you must fight to the death (risky).

If you succeed, you may engage the enemy army and after a fixed time or damage threshold (could vary by faction/hero depending on what they do) you can withdraw from the battle. So for instance, a goblin big boss with some wolf rider /chariot units could lightning raid, pepper the main army with damage, then escape. On top of softening up that army a bit, post raid you'd get the option to apply a debuff to them (reduce their movement, destroy half their ammo for a few turns, increase the cool down of their abilities by 100%, etc).

But won't the detachment get crushed on that army's turn? Not necessarily! To actually corner the detachment there's a % chance of success. Fail, and the detachment 'retreats' a considerable distance away. An army gets two attempts a turn, with the second attempt having half the success chance of the first. Fail twice, and the army is considered on a wild goose chase, letting the fleeing detachment apply a debuff for their trouble. Lightning strike raises the success chance of catching them, and some legendary lords or embedded heroes like witch hunters guarantee success. You can also use detachments of your own to engage enemy ones, which can't be avoided.

The result is a lot more active uses for heroes, more flexibility in armies, and more creative ways to whittle down a superior force.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Some correlation between leader level and units per stack seems like an ok first step. Is that something moddable? Or would ai ignore it?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
One of my gripes (and part of my Idea being a solution) is that heroes by themselves can't Garrison settlements. You can mod settlements to have heroes, but they are treated like normal units that gain Chevrons in veterancy- which means they never are able to unlock abilities from their skill trees. This is a particular issue for wizards. Having a wizard able to Garrison a settlement is a force multiplier, and it shouldn't be contingent on having them attached to a lord.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wizard garrisons are just fine because the first skill is usually killer. Fireball, for example, is a stupid good way to destroy a mass of units at the gate.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Dandywalken posted:

Some correlation between leader level and units per stack seems like an ok first step. Is that something moddable? Or would ai ignore it?

AI leaders tend to die young, though.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

My current rat campaign (the dude with the forbidden workshop - Ikit?) is currently in the pits, the entire known world has quite literally declared war on me and I've been barely holding the line with two armies - one of which just got wiped out.

I'm a bit stuck on how to compose my nextarmy if I'm being honest, because if anyone gets to my line, I lose - rats just don't seem to have a melee?

I thought having rat ogres as a front line would be good, but they're just getting slaughtered.

Can anyone give me a good army build for a non legendary ikit that has a capable front line that won't crumple if a bretonnian peasant gets to it? cheers.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
My frontline with Ikkit is just bullets.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I really think this is the best game in terms of setting and replay-ability.

They should really improve the general army system in some way. It's a pain in the rear end to get rid of intruders. I don't want to wait 8+ turns to run an army to this beastman herd.

I'd really like to see some sort of logistics system that balances lord/army count with cities owned and proximity to other lords. It doesn't have to be too complicated, just something like having 2+ armies of a faction x tiles hits them with non-mitigable attrition).

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

tithin posted:

My current rat campaign (the dude with the forbidden workshop - Ikit?) is currently in the pits, the entire known world has quite literally declared war on me and I've been barely holding the line with two armies - one of which just got wiped out.

I'm a bit stuck on how to compose my nextarmy if I'm being honest, because if anyone gets to my line, I lose - rats just don't seem to have a melee?

I thought having rat ogres as a front line would be good, but they're just getting slaughtered.

Can anyone give me a good army build for a non legendary ikit that has a capable front line that won't crumple if a bretonnian peasant gets to it? cheers.

Skaven are never going to win the melee fight unless it's against other skaven or you severely outnumber the enemy, so do that. Assuming you're not using a unit cap mod, the best way to do skaven is to have armies of slaves to support your main army. One army is the lord and 19 slave units, their job is to hold the enemy in place. Since slaves are expendable, none of your other troops care if they die or rout, and they cost basically nothing. Your second army is Ikit/another lord but they have the units that will do the killing. This doesn't have to be a full stack right away, but should be weapons teams and artillery that will blast the opponent into pieces while the slaves bog them down. Use the menace below to send even more rats at the enemy or take out their archers/artillery. You can also bring additional melee units in your "main" army as well if you'd like. I tend to have a handful of clanrat units to buy me some more time if I need it. As your economy improves, you can swap out slaves for clan rats. There is a technology that gives them the expendable trait as well.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Jamwad Hilder posted:

One army is the lord and 19 slave units, their job is to hold the enemy in place. Since slaves are expendable, none of your other troops care if they die or rout, and they cost basically nothing.

While making a slave army is a perfectly viable way to play the game, it's worth noting that they don't end up costing as little as they seem to. For non-bret factions, making additional armies increases the upkeep of all of your armies. This increases on higher campaign difficulty settings. So the skavenslaves may be dirt cheap, but they're making your other, more expensive stacks cost even more.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

tithin posted:

What is your current army comp? Rat Ogres are not very good at sustained melee so it makes sense that they are getting slaughtered if you are using them in the way you describe. It is perfectly viable to go all gunline + artillery, though, even in a non-Ikit army.

edit: Here is a megapost I did a while back that explains how I go full gunline and can take on up to three other armies without taking more than a handful of casualties:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3835548&userid=138697&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post499246726

Vargs posted:

While making a slave army is a perfectly viable way to play the game, it's worth noting that they don't end up costing as little as they seem to. For non-bret factions, making additional armies increases the upkeep of all of your armies. This increases on higher campaign difficulty settings. So the skavenslaves may be dirt cheap, but they're making your other, more expensive stacks cost even more.
This is why I advocate for not bothering with Skavenslave armies as Ikit. Its fiddly, expensive, and really not necessary.

Panfilo posted:

I had an idea for a hero Overhaul :

Heroes can form 'detachments' that can take up to 4 units and functioning as a mini army. This has some restrictions- army stances are more limited (though base standard movement is 25% greater than lord armies). They also are limited to mostly taking T1 units as well as units that match the 'theme' of the hero (plague priests can take plague monks, hags can take witch elves, etc). The specific hero type also determines what army stances are available--wizards can channel, assassins can ambush, etc.

The detachment can Garrison just like a regular army and some heroes are designed around using them and a few cheap units to run around reinforcing vulnerable settlements. Exploring ruins/sea treasures can sometimes give an option to have a battle with a comparable force. Some legendary lord quest chains also have a detachment fighting a small setpiece battle instead of just "have your hero assassinate a vampire count hero" type objectives.

A tiny army like this might not normally accomplish much, easily getting crushed by primary armies. Being small, they also have to replenish ammo and lousy /abandoned artillery over time vs getting them back instantly after the battle. Instead of the existing hero aims against targets, you now 'lightning raid' or 'bombard' your target. You have a % chance of success here; if you fail your retreat is cut off and you must fight to the death (risky).

If you succeed, you may engage the enemy army and after a fixed time or damage threshold (could vary by faction/hero depending on what they do) you can withdraw from the battle. So for instance, a goblin big boss with some wolf rider /chariot units could lightning raid, pepper the main army with damage, then escape. On top of softening up that army a bit, post raid you'd get the option to apply a debuff to them (reduce their movement, destroy half their ammo for a few turns, increase the cool down of their abilities by 100%, etc).

But won't the detachment get crushed on that army's turn? Not necessarily! To actually corner the detachment there's a % chance of success. Fail, and the detachment 'retreats' a considerable distance away. An army gets two attempts a turn, with the second attempt having half the success chance of the first. Fail twice, and the army is considered on a wild goose chase, letting the fleeing detachment apply a debuff for their trouble. Lightning strike raises the success chance of catching them, and some legendary lords or embedded heroes like witch hunters guarantee success. You can also use detachments of your own to engage enemy ones, which can't be avoided.

The result is a lot more active uses for heroes, more flexibility in armies, and more creative ways to whittle down a superior force.
Someone mentioned having Agents being able to have small armies before and I loved the idea, and this makes the idea sound even better!

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 6, 2020

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Vargs posted:

Yeah I'm aware of that. But a lord + 19 slave units, even with the % increase across the board, still costs next to nothing compared to having two "normal" armies. I generally end up ditching slave armies once I can afford it but the original question was related to the fact that he only had two armies so I'm guessing it was early/mid game. At that point I think slave armies are an important survival tactic for preventing too many casualties among your important troops while you're fighting multiple enemies.

Xan
Feb 7, 2005
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This is why I advocate for not bothering with Skavenslave armies as Ikit. Its fiddly, expensive, and really not necessary.

I disagree - skavenslaves are extremely cost effective. Two armies one with mostly skavenslaves + 4-6 plagueclaw catapults, another with 19 skavenslaves is a hell of a lot cheaper that 1 gunline army and effective for most of the early to mid game. With life is cheap + assassin hero you can replenish to full quite easily even after losing 100s to 1000s of slaves. Two armies also lets you ambush bait to get armies out of walled settlements.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

tithin posted:

Monstrous infantry functions differently than regular infantry, and more like an infantry/cavalry hybrid. Ideally, you want them charging infantry blocks that are already engaged with your infantry and only put them in prolonged combat if they are mixed in with and supporting your infantry. Having them mixed with regular troops keeps them from getting swarmed, surrounded, and cut down by the far more numerous human sized guys.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I honestly think it'd be easier and better to just get rid of agents/heroes totally and just let you put multiple lords into armies a la 3K. A weird system where agents have special army rules seems a lot less intuitive and fiddly for little gain.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Xan posted:

I disagree - skavenslaves are extremely cost effective. Two armies one with mostly skavenslaves + 4-6 plagueclaw catapults, another with 19 skavenslaves is a hell of a lot cheaper that 1 gunline army and effective for most of the early to mid game. With life is cheap + assassin hero you can replenish to full quite easily even after losing 100s to 1000s of slaves. Two armies also lets you ambush bait to get armies out of walled settlements.
Oh, I agree if you just want to go full cost-saver, but usually by the time you are working on a second/third real army as Ikit (because he gets big discounts on Ratlings and Jezzails, if I remember correctly, so you can run them in his army for cheap) your economy should be able to handle having some shooty units in the army. And for me, I play Ikit for playing the battles where I get to shoot and nuke things, hence why I just dont bother with the chaff armies. They definitely work, though, if thats the way that you want to play.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

tithin posted:

Rat Ogres are technically Skaven cavalry: they excel at flanking to deal damage, running down exposed units and benefit from a lot of micro attention, otherwise they're prone to melt if they get caught and bogged down.

Skaven have melee, they just tend to be below the curve and are frankly a bit deceptive to a new player, such as T2 Clanrats not actually being an upgrade over Clanrats! Sure, the shield is nice, but you haven't actually gained anything but additional upkeep if you're fighting a big Saurus Warrior ball! The Skaven theme is to have an overwhelming offense while sending loads of chattel slaves to die. If you're not fielding mass Stormvermin than your line will fall unless you kill everything before that point.

What you're looking at are in order:

Skavenslaves: Technically a T0 unit. Will lose every fight and match up guaranteed. They are dirt cheap fodder meant to occupy the enemy and rout, causing most AI units to chase them for a bit. The benefits here are that this eats up a lot of time and you can fire into the mass and not care about your losses. They even have an expendable tag where their deaths only cause morale loss to other Skavenslaves! If you want to really min-max your engagements they have a spears option but that costs a little more money and they're still Skavenslaves. The odds of them holding against monstrous units, cavalry that charges them or monsters long enough to benefit from the extra hits is astoundingly low.

Clanrats: T1 infantry. They are a bit below average in stats but they will actually fight the enemy and hold for a bit and can defeat peasants/zombies/skavenslaves and even other T1 infantry with good play such as outflanking and back attacks, particularly with Menace Below. Menace Below will spawn a Clanrats each time. You can properly split between swords(better damage/chance to hit) and spears(better defense, better against large, charge against large.) Spears will make a BIG difference in holding ground vs cavalry charges by negating their charge benefits. You can get these guys a research tech in campaign to make them Expendable but be careful about mixing them in with Skavenslaves if you do so, if you have 6 Slaves rout(because they WILL) then your 4 Clanrats may rout super early.

Menace Below: This literally teleports a unit of infantry anywhere on the map 0-6(2-8 with Queek) times. Clanrats can't do much by themselves, if you throw this into the enemy mass you will delay them and nothing more. Summon these on top of weak-melee archers(if it has the good at melee tag or some armor/real melee stats you can still lose the engagement!), exposed artillery, to back attack an engaged unit or even behind walls during sieges as a distraction. Throw them in front of cavalry to spoil their charge on their real target. Drop them on top of a melee Lord so he isn't cleaving through your front. You can spend food or spread Skaven corruption to get more uses. This also covers Skaven spellcasters that can Summon units, which means with a Grey Seer and multiple uses of Menace you can put out 5-10+ units of infantry you didn't actually bring or pay for per battle.

Clanrats with Shields: They come at T2 but these are again T1 infantry. They are the exact same stats except they get 35% chance of projectile negation. That'll make a big difference if your entire line has shields and you need to fight High Elves or Dark Elves or any other faction that'll sprinkle 4+ ranged squads in every time. If you just want a melee ball to delay the enemy at mid-field you can save money and use Clanrats.

Plaguemonks, Rat Ogres, Plaguemonk Censure Bearers, Deathrunners, Hell Pit Abomination: There are various benefits to all of these guys but outside of a theme army with Skrolk they aren't fit to be a front. They're meant to be the hammer to your squishy anvil. The Abom can be used as a centerpiece of your front though he requires a bit more infrastructure than most players like.

Stormvermin: T3 infantry that actually has T3 stats. Or close enough, comparatively! There's a big difference between sword and board and spears here, S&B will actually hold a line and get bronze shields again, Halberd have anti-large, dramatically better armor piercing compared to S&B and Charge Defense. They're expensive but accessible earlier than other elite infantry. Note that they're also not as elite as other elite infantry but they do a great job for a rat of making a real front. Queek can field them at -50% upkeep in his personal army.

Warp-Grinders: Same issues as the DPS infantry. Shouldn't be holding the line by themselves, smaller unit cap, etc. Where they excel is that they can use innate spells(no wind cost) to greatly slow and CC the enemy. They deal fantastic armor pierce damage for their cost and become absurd with Ikit's workshop buffs.

Night Runners/Gutter Runners: Although they aren't meant for holding a front these skirmishers(hit and run while Skirmish is enabled and anything tries to approach for melee) can delay an enemy front for a ridiculous length of time. As long as they have the speed advantage and ammo these guys can lead the enemy all over the map, split their attention and formation, etc. If you play Eshin you're encouraged to give this a try.

Doomflayers/Doomwheels: Although these obviously benefit from hit and run tactics they're worth noting as the Skaven "front" because they cause incredible delays to the enemy. They can slam through a unit, accelerate past it and keep going, dragging 4+ angry melee impotently after them. It's totally viable to have a 19 Ranged/Ikit in his Doomwheel army because Ikit becomes practically immortal with a specific skill. Hell, I did my VH Skaven game with this army.

Lords and Heroes: Skaven big shots do not slouch in melee despite their cowardly reputation as a species. Warlords can take 2-3+ units of T1-T2 comfortably in many cases, Assassins can do 1-2 or take down priority targets and even Warlock Engineers can hold against 1 squad that isn't too dangerous in an emergency. Any Lord/Hero that survives to getting a mount will become a pillar of your front, including Grey Seers on the Screaming Bell.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ravenfood posted:

I honestly think it'd be easier and better to just get rid of agents/heroes totally and just let you put multiple lords into armies a la 3K. A weird system where agents have special army rules seems a lot less intuitive and fiddly for little gain.

You know, i've been playing 3k and i've not missed agents at all. The spy system is sorta cool (even if it is kinda hidden) but aside from that no agents rules.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Playing VC for the first time since the last few patches dropped, and on legendary for the first time. Managed to Confederate manny super early but gently caress, getting my rear end handed to me. Weird start now that you can't just take that starting province from noname factions anymore.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I didn't see this get mentioned (but I might have just missed it) but single/low count unit armies are good for holding gun lines as well. A single tanky lord standing in front of 19 ratlings/jezzails can do a pretty good job of living long enough and bogging down units to let the ranged folk do their work. I find that a few units will ignore the lord and march down the flanks to the gun line so you can either focus fire on them and take them out quickly or use 3 lords/heroes to do the tanking across the whole line.

This works well with any ranged comp but is particularly nice with guns who can have a hard time finding line of sight into a melee but a single unit won't really block LoS at all.

You can also use non-hero/lord units, I personally like doomflayers on ikkit because the 3 small models seems to generally not get hit by my gunners whereas the doomwheel often gets torn to shreds by friendly fire because of it's size. (using jezzails over ratlings helps with this as well). With Ikkit you can upgrade the flayers to the point where you can just leave them bogged into melee and they will fight well enough that they will hardly take a scratch before the gunline murders the army.

It's a bit gamey and isn't really a good depiction of what a real fight might look like, but that's a problem in alot of aspects of the fights in this game so I just made peace with it.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 6, 2020

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

tithin posted:

Sounds like you're not doing enough warcrimes .y dude.

Xan
Feb 7, 2005
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Oh, I agree if you just want to go full cost-saver, but usually by the time you are working on a second/third real army as Ikit (because he gets big discounts on Ratlings and Jezzails, if I remember correctly, so you can run them in his army for cheap) your economy should be able to handle having some shooty units in the army. And for me, I play Ikit for playing the battles where I get to shoot and nuke things, hence why I just dont bother with the chaff armies. They definitely work, though, if thats the way that you want to play.

If you go basic skavenslaves, you can afford a 2nd army from the start. Having a 2nd army is a huge advantage because you can bait with that army and have Ikit ambush next to it. Meaning almost all your battles will be field and ambush battles. Then once you have the building for it mix in a small amount of ratling gunners and a warp grinder for its 'siege attacker' ability. As Skrolk, Queek, other skaven, I'd use plagueclaw catapults. Skavenslaves are almost like zombies for vampire counts. Massed up in a big blob, they will actually hold for a really long time and exhaust the enemy fighting chaff. This is the strategy I usually do for the first 60 turns or so when the game is at its hardest. After that who cares, make doomstacks you've won by that point.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

In my Lyonesse game I got war dec'd by Settra. Beat a full stack of rando lord + basic skellies.

Then I find Settra wandering alone in the desert with one half health unit of tomb guards.

Never saw the war kitty. What happened to you Settra?

Also how do you decide where/how many unit recruitment buildings to build? Do you build duplicates in other provinces? Or just roll with having to pay extra for global recruitment? Coming off Tomb Kings I didn't know global recruitment could be so expensive!

As I'm typing this I kinda figure just one of each building in the empire would be fine? Like I'm not constantly replacing my good knights or whatever.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Also how do you decide where/how many unit recruitment buildings to build? Do you build duplicates in other provinces? Or just roll with having to pay extra for global recruitment? Coming off Tomb Kings I didn't know global recruitment could be so expensive!

As I'm typing this I kinda figure just one of each building in the empire would be fine? Like I'm not constantly replacing my good knights or whatever.

I usually growth buildings into every city in my initial province to get my capital to T5 ASAP and then get all the recruitment buildings in it. Other provinces focus on money and hero recruitment.

All my armies will then be recruited from that one province until I start to sprawl and get really big and I'll start to have a few more provinces as recruitment centres on my periphery when I capture a nice big major city that is already T3/T4 on capture and has some of the buildings I want in. I don't lose units that often so the odd global recruitment here or there is fine.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Could campaigns be made more interesting by just increasing attrition? I feel like some old school game mods added supply systems that would basically cause attrition to your armies everywhere on the map if they weren't supplied.

It was a little overly complicated but even on a smaller scale (maybe based on climate?) I feel like it could help spice up campaigns. Basically like the far north for most armies but just call it supply lines or something and make it more or less severe depending on faction, Lord, climate etc.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Re: Lords and Heroes being changed to a 3KTW format, I don't expect to see multiple Lords (and LLs) in one army, but I can see a Lord/LL being the general of their army, while you fill out the "captain" slots with Heroes. So, something like Thorgrim leading the army, with a Master Engineer leading ranged retinues, and a Runesmith or Thane filling out more melee slots.

But also, I could see Legendary Heroes becoming more likely (possibly with some LLs getting changed to Legendary Heroes instead), and they could provide stronger buffs to their retinues compared to ordinary Heroes.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Check which buildings raise your hero cap. You might have moved past using tier 1 infantry, but many of those buildings have a hero attached. Some high tier buildings have global bonuses separate from their main focus too, like the Dark Elf Dread Fortress raiding lord recruitment rank. If a zone has a trade resource, its huilding chain might provide some recruitment buff to certain units, so I make sure to have the building for those units.

So I end up putting all of most purple buildings in my capitol along with any green building I can upgrade above tier three. On minor region in each province usually gets whatever red building recruits the “basic” infantry, with other red buildings (which seem to tend to be for units that get phased out in the endgame) in other regions on a case-by case basis. Put walls in every settlement, especially in Vortex where rituals spawn Chaos armies where your armies are not. I find myself building trade resource buildings even if I don’t have enough trading partners.

I don’t actually make maximum use of all the heroes and stuff or moving armies to recruit from the best possible zone, but it’s nice to know the potential is there I guess.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 6, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You do not want to play this game without a home region movement buff because you will have enemies camp themselves juuuuust out of your reach and it will piss you off so much.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Gamerofthegame posted:

honestly after having hit up 3Ks recently, with a new patch and everything, warhams just feels like a much better game overall.

The diplomacy, or more importantly knowing WHY the AI actually accepts/rejects things is better, but also leads to wonky fun cheese. everything else felt worse to me, imo, tho

unit variety is non-existent, provinces not being used to generate units (outside of unlocking research I guess) means that every province is built the same depending on what color type it is, leading to an already kinda samey experience to be double downed on. lords are so much worse in comparison to lord/heroes and units being solidly attached to lords means you both don't really give a poo poo if you take losses once you hit a certain replenishment threshold, even total losses, and you probably aren't really changing up your army comp at a certain point.

felt bad.

that said in theory being able to just pick up and teleport your army across the map for the low low price of rehiring all the lords and replenishing was baller and I wish there was a similar costly teleportation mechanic for sprawling, attacked-from-all-sides countries like the high elves or empire. both games have a nasty habit of it taking far to long to get somewhere.

All of this is correct but the diplomacy and everyone being on the same page leads me to taking things more personally when that rear end in a top hat Zhang Yan betrays me again despite me not wiping him and giving him a peace agree and non aggression pact so this time I will grind him into dust and execute him if I capture him. Doesn't really happen in TW since there's no real politics beyond the predefined blocks.

I do want some more faction differences on the battlefield though. Since every stack is basically drown your enemy in horses, arrows, and have some guys to stand in between the arrows and your enemy.

The way I'd like 3k to evolve that WH kinda can't because of the setting is go all in politics and become the unholy child of Paradox and CA by borrowing stuff from CK2.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Eimi posted:

All of this is correct but the diplomacy and everyone being on the same page leads me to taking things more personally when that rear end in a top hat Zhang Yan betrays me again despite me not wiping him and giving him a peace agree and non aggression pact so this time I will grind him into dust and execute him if I capture him. Doesn't really happen in TW since there's no real politics beyond the predefined blocks.

I do want some more faction differences on the battlefield though. Since every stack is basically drown your enemy in horses, arrows, and have some guys to stand in between the arrows and your enemy.

The way I'd like 3k to evolve that WH kinda can't because of the setting is go all in politics and become the unholy child of Paradox and CA by borrowing stuff from CK2.

Respecfully disagree, even the greatest of cultural divides and historical wounds can be overcome with tolerance, friendship and a shared love for oversized axes :3:

I am also allied with the elves in Laurelorn, they loving loved that I killed off all those pesky Imperials trying to settle their woods while I was burning my way through :v:

edit: Truly, Wulfric will go down as the the greatest of diplomats, mending the wounds between elf and dwarf and bringing forth a new age of uuh peace!

Or, considering how many loving Brettonia armies I have killed, a last alliance of Men, Elf and Dwarf standing against the filthy hordes of darkness

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 7, 2020

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Thanks for all the advice.
Without loading it up my army comp for Ikkit was him, a generic warlock engineer (seems to be doubling up but oh well, I'll swap him out later, he's meant to be a backup in case ikkit can't overcast anymore due to getting the poo poo kicked out of him), a bunch of ratling gunners, a bunch of night runners / death globadiers, 2-3 flamethrowers, 2 rat ogres, and a doomwheel.

It works out to be 20 units total, the vast majority is ratling gunners spread out across two lines, ogres at the front, flamethrowers off to the side and I honestly keep forgetting about the doomwheel.

Ikkit's entire deal is to run up on a doom... scythe? and harass the poo poo out of the enemy until I'm out of mana, then letting the ratling gunners finish the enemy army off.

That worked well so I started building my secondary army the same way with a warlock master, which also worked well until it got crushed by a doomtrain bretonnian army that was only cavalry that crushed through my lines like a hot knife through butter.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Do NOT swap out an engineer. Consider getting a second, in fact, if you want to make Ikit doomstack harder than he already does. Their army-wide buffs stack in a way that's ridiculous.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
You should consider adding some artillery too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Krazyface posted:

You should consider adding some artillery too

I had 4 plagueclaw but they're not that great?

Why should I get more engineers?