Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

devmd01 posted:

So uh, Microsoft isn’t having a good week, are they?

Bing outages are killing the windows 10 search box, fix is to disable cortana and bing integration via registry hahaha.

That's our default anyway. :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Agrikk posted:

I was in a city government and I was moving an office. When I was done the office manager told me that we had a $300,000 surplus that I needed to spend due to use-it-or-loose-it budget rules.

I ended up buying all kinds of stuff like new desktops and monitors, a whole cabinet full of servers, new network gear, the works. I basically moved the office and then bought enough gear to build two more offices from scratch.

A few weeks later as I’m unboxing all the kit the office manager comes back in a panic because apparently the $300k was a pooled fund for several departments and EVERYONE had drawn it down to zero so the fund was about to be about a million dollars overdrawn. I’m sitting in a room with thirty workstations that I was using as a folding farm and we won’t be able to buy tape or paper or toner.

Welp!

Holy poo poo.

That's....that's not a small problem.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Dell EMC just dropped off a box of bagels and coffee in an attempt to convince us to buy their SAN.
They didn't bring cream cheese or jam or even butter. Monsters!

I think they just lost our business.

At what dollar amount do you start getting vendor bribes? We spend something like five to ten thousand every month on dell laptops and all we get is an account rep who is rotated every month.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eh it's just citizens taxes being flushed down the toilet. What's the big deal?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lol a search box that relies on a web service to be working to avoid just being a large translucent square :suicide101:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Defenestrategy posted:

At what dollar amount to you start getting vendor bribes? We spend something like five to ten thousand every month on dell laptops and all we get is an account rep who is rotated every month.

Well we're spending $0 so maybe try that? They're just trying to get their foot in the door. We were shopping around for more storage and just called everyone we could think of with "WE NEED A FUCKTON OF SPACE CALL US BACK WITH YOUR BEST OFFER FOR ALL THE SPACE" after last week's SAN snafu.
Interestingly PureStorage... actually made us a rather incredible offer to the tune of about 25% of their normal cost for 2 50TB SANs.
I'll be impressed if this actually works and we end up with another SAN. We are getting push-back from the top, but haven't received an explicit "no" yet.

All our other vendors are the same way. Never the same rep twice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

What kind of enterprise didn't already disable Cortana, and uses Bing?!

Hey now, let's not blame anyone but Microsoft for their stupidity.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

While it's nice that the barriers to entry are being removed by products that Meraki build, it does sometimes result in pretty funny things being built out. I've just seen an ISP deliver two circuits and two CPE routers to handle VRRP and do BGP back into the ISP network, and these two Meraki firewalls have been configured as active/passive with WAN 1 set as one IP from the range, and WAN 2 for some reason also plugged in and using the next IP in the public range. Also the default gateway is set to the interface on one of the routers and not the VRRP IP, so the failover would never have worked.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

So what useless poo poo are you buying to use up the funding?

Sadly, the funding has to be spent on approved initiatives and its not It stuff so I wont be able to touch it but my advice was basically go find some quick and easy cheap wins to use this cash.

Interestingly, I arranged a meeting with the manager from my company to discuss this prior to the call I mentioned earlier, so when she came round I explained that he is just wriggling out of this at which point we both called the contractor together.

They were both dancing around the fundamental time and money issue of there is not enough time which means no money for you so what are we going to do and the manager from my firm straight up said she was just going to tell the dude who releases the funding that the project was completed to the deadline as he usually doesn't check if you dont make a fuss.

Interesting strategy, unfortunatley I cannot help you on this project any longer and I am emailing your boss to air my concerns!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Lol a search box that relies on a web service to be working to avoid just being a large translucent square :suicide101:

Excuse me - it's a large translucent square you can type in.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

And now Azure portal is making GBS threads itself. God drat it, Microsoft.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

And now Azure portal is making GBS threads itself. God drat it, Microsoft.

Working fine for me. Maybe it's by region?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Working fine for me. Maybe it's by region?

I've noticed every two weeks or so Azure will go all wonky and stuff for like ten minutes. Like AAD will fail for various people on various platforms both intra and internet, Admin portal goes all screwy and slow, changes to users won't propagate. Anyone else get this?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Anyone using Nasdaq's Boardvantage that has opinions about it?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

angry armadillo posted:

Sadly, the funding has to be spent on approved initiatives and its not It stuff so I wont be able to touch it but my advice was basically go find some quick and easy cheap wins to use this cash.

Interestingly, I arranged a meeting with the manager from my company to discuss this prior to the call I mentioned earlier, so when she came round I explained that he is just wriggling out of this at which point we both called the contractor together.

They were both dancing around the fundamental time and money issue of there is not enough time which means no money for you so what are we going to do and the manager from my firm straight up said she was just going to tell the dude who releases the funding that the project was completed to the deadline as he usually doesn't check if you dont make a fuss.

Interesting strategy, unfortunatley I cannot help you on this project any longer and I am emailing your boss to air my concerns!

I thought this was going to be one of those stories that ended up with the company stockpiling enough paperclips for the next 10,000 years.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I have a very generalist sysadmin role/skillset, and my employer has been tasking me with more and more security related stuff, (make sure we dont get hacked OK???) and has also said they are willing to pay for some security training of my choosing. I have no formal security training or certs or anything. What should I be looking into here? I'm really not sure where to start.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Splunk.

I kid. But seriously start brushing up on network security. Everything starts with network security.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I think you could get really, really far just with all the really dumb low-hanging fruit stuff. I'm not convinced fancy books are going to help that much because when you look at how orgs get owned, it's universally for an insanely dumb reason. Using my sysadmin knowledge I could own us all day every day and stay undetected until I blkdiscard all devices on all boxen simultaneously.

My first foray into this was sitting at home with a nonfunctional VPN but still wanting to wfh. So I found a way in (misconfigured network ACL exposing ssh on a host that had password based auth active), fixed the VPN and fixed my "backdoor". And I thought "blimey, how many more of this is there?" OH GOD HOW MUCH MORE IS THERE THAT MANGLEMENT WON'T LET ME FIX

Realistically, what will get you owned isn't some 1337 h4x0r stack-overflowing some arcane bits in your network stack. It's the county password inspector calling a manager or some webdevs not updating their Apache Struts despite known security vulnerabilities. All really obvious

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

Seriously, if you told me 15 years ago the poo poo I'd still being dealing with and the new stupid poo poo I'd be dealing with, I think I would have been a carpenter or something.

I day dream of being a cabinet maker.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I seriously should have gone Mechanical Engineering in college, instead of noodling around with other engineering branches and eventually dropping out. Hindsight.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

I thought this was going to be one of those stories that ended up with the company stockpiling enough paperclips for the next 10,000 years.

Nah one of the things I like about this company is I'm wholly confident that no one stands for stunts like this and this particular manager is about to get pulled for, what they will call, taking too much risk on this occasion, but if it happens again people will not stand for her playing in those grey areas this much

Suppose given that sort of culture I'm a bit surprised we've let a cowboy in I guess

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Proteus Jones posted:

I day dream of being a cabinet maker.

Lumberjack for me. Just cutting trees.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

jaegerx posted:

Follow up the environmental destruction of running massive cooling stacks for your DC with environmental destruction of supplying paper to the printers you swore to destroy

Just the worst

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Follow up the environmental destruction of running massive cooling stacks for your DC with environmental destruction of supplying paper to the printers you swore to destroy

Just the worst

I was gonna sell him the wood to make cabinets. Support small businesses!!!

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

jaegerx posted:

I was gonna sell him the wood to make cabinets. Support small businesses!!!

Y'know, you as a lumberjack sound pretty OK. I'm also presuming you'd sleep all night and work all day.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Y'know, you as a lumberjack sound pretty OK. I'm also presuming you'd sleep all night and work all day.

But are you comfortable dressing in womens clothing and walking around in bars?

God that skit didn't age well.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

chin up everything sucks posted:

Yeah after I posted I was like "oh...right, it's just awful that they're questioning of his choices and not really so much funny". Song itself is still fun to sing though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

jaegerx posted:

I found out way too late that people at my last job referred to me as "lumbersexual" because I liked plaid, and beanie caps, sometimes wore suspenders, and occasionally showed up to work with a truckload of wood, and almost always had camping gear.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

chin up everything sucks posted:

Can we just go with “sit on my face and tell me that you love me”?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Agrikk posted:

Not until you've bought us all a lot of drinks.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Agrikk posted:

As long as we follow it up with a medical love song

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Good news! After working the graveyard shift for three months I'm going to be moving to second shift (2-midnight) in a couple weeks here. That also means I'm more likely to have my contract converted than if I was still working graveyards since we've got guys in India training up to work the graveyard shift.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Defenestrategy posted:

At what dollar amount do you start getting vendor bribes? We spend something like five to ten thousand every month on dell laptops and all we get is an account rep who is rotated every month.

I wanna say we've spent six figures with ours, and they recently sent us a box of x7 high-end Alienware headphones for "Evaluation purposes"

There are 8 of us, I didn't get one... gently caress.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Super Slash posted:

I wanna say we've spent six figures with ours, and they recently sent us a box of x7 high-end Alienware headphones for "Evaluation purposes"

Sounds like you're switching vendors :colbert:

We spend literal millions with a CDN and this Christmas they sent us a small Harry and David type box of dried fruit and poo poo that probably cost like $30, lol. Storage vendors do seem to be where the ridiculous excess is at for whatever reason. At a previous job companies vying for our SAN business would routinely take us to baseball games or pay for a night's dinner and bar tab etc. Looking back it was unethical as hell but it never seemed to bother my boss! (I had no purchasing authority on any of this, was just an admin in the trenches)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Super Slash posted:

Shoot an email to the vendor rep that there's one missing from the "evaluation allotment" for your eight-person team and ask if they can sort out the logistics error. They should get the hint, and any future goodies should arrive in sufficient quantities too.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Super Slash posted:

Did you also miss out on a slice of birthday cake at the company party?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Docjowles posted:

Storage vendors do seem to be where the ridiculous excess is at for whatever reason. At a previous job companies vying for our SAN business would routinely take us to baseball games or pay for a night's dinner and bar tab etc. Looking back it was unethical as hell but it never seemed to bother my boss! (I had no purchasing authority on any of this, was just an admin in the trenches)

Considering how much people tend to pay for SAN's, that's no wonder. Also betting they're writing all of those expenses off as marketing expenses :v:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Docjowles posted:

Storage vendors do seem to be where the ridiculous excess is at for whatever reason. At a previous job companies vying for our SAN business would routinely take us to baseball games or pay for a night's dinner and bar tab etc. Looking back it was unethical as hell but it never seemed to bother my boss! (I had no purchasing authority on any of this, was just an admin in the trenches)

How is that unethical, exactly? Doesn't this type of stuff happen on the regular for any sort of business that wants to sell you stuff? If it was all done off the books then I could see it being a big no no. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, which lis likely the case.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Methanar posted:

Anyone who says they haven't missed a cert expiry is a liar

Only cert I have is ITIL Foundations and it never expires :smugdog:

EDIT: Oh wait wrong type of cert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

How is that unethical, exactly? Doesn't this type of stuff happen on the regular for any sort of business that wants to sell you stuff? If it was all done off the books then I could see it being a big no no. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, which lis likely the case.

I mean it's basically bribery. "Make this choice, whether or not it's actually good for the company, and we'll give you tons of free poo poo". Yes it happens all the drat time in many areas of life, that doesn't mean it's right :v: Companies frequently have policies against accepting gifts from vendors for exactly this reason.