Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
its easier to gently caress in a bathtub shower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PRADA SLUT posted:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm gonna be unconventional and say those old people walk in baths have always looked real attractive to me. You can get your whole body in the water right up to your neck, but it doesn't have a huge footprint. The downside is you have to sit there while the tub fills and drains unless you can ninja flip right over the door.

Aww yeah, that's the stuff.

Look how happy they are. Grandpa doesn't remember to undress before bathing anymore, but he can still have a nice soak in the tub.

loving is probably a not gonna happen tho.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

PRADA SLUT posted:

New thread title pls

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Facebook Aunt posted:

I'm gonna be unconventional and say those old people walk in baths have always looked real attractive to me. You can get your whole body in the water right up to your neck, but it doesn't have a huge footprint. The downside is you have to sit there while the tub fills and drains unless you can ninja flip right over the door.

Look how happy they are. Grandpa doesn't remember to undress before bathing anymore, but he can still have a nice soak in the tub.

That might not be his wife. If he lives in The Villages and he can still "drive the stick", he's probably a major stud.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

luxury handset posted:

most of it wouldn't be worth much for being outdated, the framing lumber is cheap meh, toss out the wallpaper, piping, shingles etc. the most valuable bits would be the millwork and built-ins

assuming someone just found a sears house kit in the back room or something, finding someone to put it all together would be more of a pain in the rear end. probably your best bet would be to call a television show and see if they'd be willing to get some local craft renovation firm to do it at cost in exchange for filming the process - it would make a good HGTV special

Old wallpaper is heck of expensive.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've heard about those tubs having the gaskets fail and cause tremendous water damage.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

MetaJew posted:

I've heard about those tubs having the gaskets fail and cause tremendous water damage.

but enough about grandpa

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Youth Decay posted:

I found a (insanely overpriced) Sears kit house that's in fantastic shape.
The original floor plan, the Ashmore.

The house for sale looks like it has the pergola glassed in, an additional dining area/sunroom added where the rear porch was, the two back bedrooms turned into one large master suite with a master bath built on the rear, and the attic finished with an additional bedroom and bathroom.

It's gorgeous, but I don't think it's $1.9 million in Charlottesville, VA gorgeous.

PRADA SLUT posted:

love how a house from a loving magazine kit is higher quality and more sensible looking that 90% of suburban neighborhood developments of the past 30 years

Holy poo poo that house rules.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm tall and have wide shoulders and long arms, like a gorilla, but more hair. Turning around in a bathtub shower means touching the cold walls with my shoulders and feels claustrophobic as hell. I want to at least be able to stand arms akimbo and have my elbows not touch anything.
Do you have a curved shower rod? On paper it doesn't look like so much, but in person it's like a whole different shower experience imo.

They're pretty cheap if you want to give it a shot, and you can get tension ones so you aren't putting holes in the wall.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

We have a Japanese style combo wetroom. The floor is slightly soft, the tub has a sitting ledge and we included handrails. It's very nice and good.
https://jp.toto.com/products/bath/sazana/

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I thought they were advertising something really different for a minute there

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
Our master bath is a tiny coffin with a shower that you can only get into if you walk in up against the shower door, close the main door behind you, back up against the door, open the shower door, and sidle on in past the toilet. It's just awful.

Mom has stopped using it because she needs help bathing, so I was thinking if we went with a tankless toilet and remove a hall closet we miiiiight get a walk in tub in there. But mom is concerned about resale value because it's a family neighborhood. Her thought is she could die in a year, MY thought is she could die 20 years from now and both of us can use the drat soaking tub in the meantime. In fact my brother said he'd even come over once a week for a soak.

But they are expensive and again, resell value. They have really fast draining ones now, though...

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

peanut posted:

We have a Japanese style combo wetroom. The floor is slightly soft, the tub has a sitting ledge and we included handrails. It's very nice and good.
https://jp.toto.com/products/bath/sazana/

Hell yeah, if I ever build a custom home, I'm installing a japanese bath/shower room.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Anne Whateley posted:

Do you have a curved shower rod? On paper it doesn't look like so much, but in person it's like a whole different shower experience imo.

They're pretty cheap if you want to give it a shot, and you can get tension ones so you aren't putting holes in the wall.

Shower curtains aren't very common where I live. It's usually glass, which I'm thankful for. Being touched by a cold, clammy shower curtain is nasty.

Which is why I'm glad I have a proper shower. Whenever I move places, it's one of the things I look for.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

I thought they were advertising something really different for a minute there

peep the pepper

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Shower curtains aren't very common where I live. It's usually glass, which I'm thankful for. Being touched by a cold, clammy shower curtain is nasty.

Which is why I'm glad I have a proper shower. Whenever I move places, it's one of the things I look for.

I've used cloth shower curtains for years and they are vastly superior to the plastic ones - they hang better and don't do the whole cold, clammy thing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

A few years ago I stayed in a hotel room in Vegas that had something sorta similar, but without the door, so you had to like step on the seat to get out. It wasn't like a full-size jacuzzi/hot-tub thing or anything, just a really tall bath tub with enough room for like two people.

As a tall person, it was the best bath I'd ever taken, being able to just chill out and have the water come up to my neck.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Drone posted:

As a tall person, it was the best bath I'd ever taken, being able to just chill out and have the water come up to my neck.

Yeah, being tall and broad is a lot of the reason why I find baths worthless, and only ever shower.

I joke about getting a 1970s style football team bath installed so I can actually have a soak.

Or whatever they use to wash baby elephants.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

I found a (insanely overpriced) Sears kit house that's in fantastic shape.
The original floor plan, the Ashmore.

The house for sale looks like it has the pergola glassed in, an additional dining area/sunroom added where the rear porch was, the two back bedrooms turned into one large master suite with a master bath built on the rear, and the attic finished with an additional bedroom and bathroom.

I would like to thank these people for not painting over the fireplace brick

Built-in buffet is still there along with all the molding

Kitchen is beautifully modernized (and not blinding white/gray!), though I wish they kept the Pullman alcove.

The master bath addition appears to have been built not long after the original structure, it might have even been built along with the house in 1930.

It matches the original bath

And the upper level bath

It's gorgeous, but I don't think it's $1.9 million in Charlottesville, VA gorgeous.

I wonder what it would cost to get something like that designed and built with modern materials.

I'm sure the built-ins and millwork would be the cripplingly expensive part.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Install a curved rod for your shower curtain and get a surprising amount of touch-free space! Don't use a straight rod like a loving caveman

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

MetaJew posted:

That’s why you put them on a recessed pile of rocks. The widows love those.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Drone posted:

A few years ago I stayed in a hotel room in Vegas that had something sorta similar, but without the door, so you had to like step on the seat to get out. It wasn't like a full-size jacuzzi/hot-tub thing or anything, just a really tall bath tub with enough room for like two people.

Like this?

Google "Japanese soaking tub" and you'll get a lot of hits.

This is my ideal bath, imagine just being able to lie spread-eagle and relax:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

wooger posted:

Yeah, being tall and broad is a lot of the reason why I find baths worthless, and only ever shower.

I joke about getting a 1970s style football team bath installed so I can actually have a soak.

Or whatever they use to wash baby elephants.

I feel this. My workaround is to shower, and if I want a soak afterwards, to jump (well, schlep) into the hot tub for a while.

I have been so tempted to redo the bath with a better tub, but it doesn't make sense to put that much money into the house right now.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

That70sHeidi posted:

Our master bath is a tiny coffin with a shower that you can only get into if you walk in up against the shower door, close the main door behind you, back up against the door, open the shower door, and sidle on in past the toilet. It's just awful.

Mom has stopped using it because she needs help bathing, so I was thinking if we went with a tankless toilet and remove a hall closet we miiiiight get a walk in tub in there. But mom is concerned about resale value because it's a family neighborhood. Her thought is she could die in a year, MY thought is she could die 20 years from now and both of us can use the drat soaking tub in the meantime. In fact my brother said he'd even come over once a week for a soak.

But they are expensive and again, resell value. They have really fast draining ones now, though...

If the current master bath is as bad as you say, I doubt putting in an walk-in tub is going to negatively affect your house price that much.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Like this?

SHID, FARD, wave at the people walking by the open window.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Wait don't SHID in a bath.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Like this?

Hell yeah, it was basically that first one, just maybe a lil wider.

That second one feels a bit excessive.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wait don't SHID in a bath.

FARD is sometime surprise SHID

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Bloop posted:

FARD is sometime surprise SHID

And that's why you're called "The Bloop"

:haw:

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

One of the doors on our shower cabinet decided to spontaneously explode, so I've decided to move forward with my plan to replace the shower cabinet with a pair of hinged shower screens, like so.

Any pointers of picking one the won't turn into a pile of tempered glass shards?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Goober Peas posted:

And that's why you're called "The Bloop"

:haw:

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

A few years ago I made a trip to Costa Rica and splurged on a night at one of the hot spring resorts. The room had a giant soaking tub that filled with water directly from the hot springs and I'll be damned if it wasn't the best soak of my life. It's the baseline for all tubs for me going forward and I can't wait to put one of my own in one day.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

One of the doors on our shower cabinet decided to spontaneously explode, so I've decided to move forward with my plan to replace the shower cabinet with a pair of hinged shower screens, like so.

Any pointers of picking one the won't turn into a pile of tempered glass shards?

Just bought a nice Vigo one from homedepot. I think the biggest thing is just making sure that the install goes smoothly. If things aren't nice and square, maybe hire a glass guy to install it

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

drgitlin posted:

If the current master bath is as bad as you say, I doubt putting in an walk-in tub is going to negatively affect your house price that much.

This. Plus, get mom off that resale value gonna leave most value for the kids idiocy anyway. Get something in there her old bones can appreciate. She'll love you the more for it. A decent bathroom is more important than a small closet.

fakedit

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Like this?

gat drat I love this......

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That thing must take 3 hours to fill. Imagine the size of the water heater. :aaa:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

As a desert native, I'm cringing at the water usage

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Increase your gamer girl bathwater production

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Qwijib0 posted:

As a desert native, I'm cringing at the water usage

kull wahad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Facebook Aunt posted:

That thing must take 3 hours to fill. Imagine the size of the water heater. :aaa:

I'm not sure if this is a joke? The water heater is literally a volcano.

We stayed at a ridiculously expensive ryokan in Hakone, Japan a few years ago that had personal hotspring-fed tubs in each room, and then a set of public baths. Both were very very pretty, and really relaxing to soak in.

Public bath: