Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We buy Brainboxes adapters and they work with everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Oh look, $job has found a way to make me care even less.

I'm "required" to have 40 hours a week. If I don't make that due to being sick\needing time off for something, it eats my PTO. I'm also "required" to take a week off for auditing purposes.

:yotj: hunt begins I guess.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Irritated Goat posted:

I'm "required" to have 40 hours a week. If I don't make that due to being sick\needing time off for something, it eats my PTO. I'm also "required" to take a week off for auditing purposes.

wow this is some annoyed bleating

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

November 2019 -
Car broken into
Call police, am directed to fill out report online, do so

*crickets*

February 2020 -
E-mail in inbox, "Hello, thank you for filing a police report"

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Irritated Goat posted:

The required solid week of vacation, when you do take it, scans as a security measure. The 40hrs per week only makes sense as the contract you signed; not having personal days (sick days have been re-branded as these up here because we realize it isn't always that you're sick, sometimes poo poo comes up) that are separate to your vacation is unbelievable to me :canada:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Irritated Goat posted:

They want to you to be salary for when it benefits them but not when it benefits you. Nice.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

The required solid week of vacation, when you do take it, scans as a security measure. The 40hrs per week only makes sense as the contract you signed; not having personal days (sick days have been re-branded as these up here because we realize it isn't always that you're sick, sometimes poo poo comes up) that are separate to your vacation is unbelievable to me :canada:

They sent me an email today saying I'm required to have 39 hours\week. I've been here 3 years and never heard this once despite taking logical time off when I need to. I can handle the week vacation but if they're going to use all my time off then I'm almost guaranteed to take it unpaid. They haven't answered yet if something happens when I run out of PTO for the year.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Time to :yotj:, man.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Log an hour every time your phone gets a work email when you're not in the office

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My ex-company hired a Yocto guy because they couldn't find a replacement for me.

According to my ex-coworker, after he was hired, he refused to learn Buildroot and insisted the project was converted to Yocto.

After almost a year of him being on the job, he finally gave up on properly porting everything and is now refusing to touch the base operating system.

They will be on Buildroot 2018.02.1 forever. :allears:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo that pisses me off, what would have been a pretty sweet wfh gig fell through because of HR fuckery. I had kickass interviews, the team liked me, and the manager and their VP wanted me. I was a perfect fit for the skill sets they needed, with plenty of room and opportunity for me to grow.

HR literally changed the hiring strategy from “remote people are cool” to “all new hires must be in the office” the week they called me to say they wanted to make an offer. Any current remote people could stay that way.

Jokes on them, the former coworker that hooked me up with the interview is already looking and I suspect that their team members are as well. Way to shoot yourself in the dick, “global leader in x!”

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 4, 2020

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Attestant posted:

Update: I've now had an hour long meeting added on top of this, with my boss who wanted to know why this is so difficult for users.

And another 30 minute one for planning written instructions for the users.

Three hours total now.

My boss has decided that this is an issue worth escalating to the AV systems supplier, who will send a sales representative to find us a solution. My boss has also taken ownership of the case, and it's no longer on my desk. :toot:

But also: lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Attestant posted:

My boss has decided that this is an issue worth escalating to the AV systems supplier, who will send a sales representative to find us a solution. My boss has also taken ownership of the case, and it's no longer on my desk. :toot:

But also: lol

So it's gone to 11? :v:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

cage-free egghead posted:

Our company has a pile of old XP laptops that they've been keeping around for ages because they've got serial connections and the software necessary to communicate with ancient PLCs and automation devices. gently caress troubleshooting this poo poo. I'd love to get them on some modern hardware but I have no clue how well a serial connection would work on Win10 and with a USB adapter.

I like this Tripp-Lite one.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
love 2 undo all our of automatic wsus gpo's because of an issue we had with a server one time (and that server was 2008r2 and was literally replaced 2 days later)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

love 2 undo all our of automatic wsus gpo's because of an issue we had with a server one time (and that server was 2008r2 and was literally replaced 2 days later)

This legacy thinking is the absolute worst thing in IT. "This new thing caused a problem! We can either fix the problem or completely get rid of the new thing that saves tons of time! We better ensure job security because there's no way our responsibilities will grow in the future"

Our Network team lives and dies by rejecting automation due to the issues it could cause, and instead hire more people to manually enter cli commands.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This legacy thinking is the absolute worst thing in IT. "This new thing caused a problem! We can either fix the problem or completely get rid of the new thing that saves tons of time! We better ensure job security because there's no way our responsibilities will grow in the future"

Our Network team lives and dies by rejecting automation due to the issues it could cause, and instead hire more people to manually enter cli commands.

The real icing on the poo poo cake was that this issue existed in all 3(!) of our test environments and was not caught by our testing team because they were pulling cached data in their tests. I don't know why we have to revamp all of our poo poo though.

So now I have this stupid recurring ticket to get with the test lead to coordinate patching windows servers around their release schedule in TYOOL 2020.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Well, it has been some time, hasn't it?

Let me sum up my last few months with my employer:

June: I am told by the CFO/COO that I will no longer be running the counter and shop at my location, and will be moving to a nearby branch to do purchasing, job breakdowns, etc. I do not have a choice in this matter - it's change locations or lose my job. I was promised a $200 a month raise to cover the 1% commission I would be losing. Never materialized. Mind you - this is AFTER I spent several months using MS Access to create and refine a work order system for the shop, and it ended up having a ton of other features too.

July: The move happens. It's a loving shitshow and I try my damndest to clean it up, but I'm cockblocked by a long-haired Fabio-type bodybuilder/aquatics instructor who is technically my boss, along with a stodgy, set-in-his-ways old gently caress of a "warehouse manager" who won't adapt, even when told to.

October: I have a kidney stone that gets me put on narcotics and miss a few days because I'm either sleeping or moaning in pain. Then I go back, get sick and sent home and told to not come back until I'm better - takes a few more days. Then I slip and bang the poo poo out of my knee - again put on narcotics because it's the size of a softball, miss a few more days because I can't walk without massive pain - but I'm back with crutches as soon as I can.

End of October: My wife has dental surgery, which I told my work about a week beforehand and said I'd need a day or two - they said it was fine. Then I get a text to call my boss and he shitcans me.

So begins the job hunt. Towards the middle of December, I've gotten through a first-stage informal interview with the general manager of one of my previous employer's vendors, for a position very similar to my previous one.

Then the CFO/COO calls me personally and asks me what it would take for me to come back. I tell him, and a couple of days later find myself negotiating with the new general manager of my previous branch because the one who canned me got demoted to salesman. Was straight-up told they needed me back because it was going to poo poo without me.

Today, I am working remotely 3-4 days a week and making 48% more than I used to. :allears:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

D34THROW posted:

Let me sum up my last few months with my employer:

June: I am told by the CFO/COO that I will no longer be running the counter and shop at my location, and will be moving to a nearby branch to do purchasing, job breakdowns, etc. I do not have a choice in this matter - it's change locations or lose my job. I was promised a $200 a month raise to cover the 1% commission I would be losing. Never materialized. Mind you - this is AFTER I spent several months using MS Access to create and refine a work order system for the shop, and it ended up having a ton of other features too.

July: The move happens. It's a loving shitshow and I try my damndest to clean it up, but I'm cockblocked by a long-haired Fabio-type bodybuilder/aquatics instructor who is technically my boss, along with a stodgy, set-in-his-ways old gently caress of a "warehouse manager" who won't adapt, even when told to.

October: I have a kidney stone that gets me put on narcotics and miss a few days because I'm either sleeping or moaning in pain. Then I go back, get sick and sent home and told to not come back until I'm better - takes a few more days. Then I slip and bang the poo poo out of my knee - again put on narcotics because it's the size of a softball, miss a few more days because I can't walk without massive pain - but I'm back with crutches as soon as I can.

End of October: My wife has dental surgery, which I told my work about a week beforehand and said I'd need a day or two - they said it was fine. Then I get a text to call my boss and he shitcans me.

So begins the job hunt. Towards the middle of December, I've gotten through a first-stage informal interview with the general manager of one of my previous employer's vendors, for a position very similar to my previous one.

Then the CFO/COO calls me personally and asks me what it would take for me to come back. I tell him, and a couple of days later find myself negotiating with the new general manager of my previous branch because the one who canned me got demoted to salesman. Was straight-up told they needed me back because it was going to poo poo without me.

Today, I am working remotely 3-4 days a week and making 48% more than I used to. :allears:

People are so loving dumb lmao

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
My boss randomly deleted servers last week. They weren't set to be decommissioned, they're actively used. He didn't even use our decommissioning checklist to document this stuff. God he's so loving dumb, every day with this guy it's something new.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Weaponized Autism posted:

My boss randomly deleted servers last week. They weren't set to be decommissioned, they're actively used. He didn't even use our decommissioning checklist to document this stuff. God he's so loving dumb, every day with this guy it's something new.

Sounds like our CFO. We have a couple of network shares, one for corporate-level reports and poo poo, the other for branch-level documents, etc (corpshare). He likes to (well, maybe he hasn't since our LAST major ransomware attack that rolled back our ERP to March of '19 and corpshare to June of '19) pick and choose things to delete and rename to suit him, or to make room.

Which is why we have to hide things 34 folders deep.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

D34THROW posted:

This is beautiful, by the way

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dog_Meat posted:

This is beautiful, by the way

I wonder if he ever drops by the office just to rub his balls on his former managers desk.
If not he should.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Oh, that reminds me.

The replacement manager was brought in from another branch; HIS replacement quit suddenly, so replacement manager had to go back, and former manager is now current-interim-manager. This company is a clusterfuck. The only reason I stay here is because the money is better now, working at home works for me, and I have enough time to do Excel addins and Access poo poo on the side.

He was a dick before, and now he's nice as pie.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Don't normally recommend going back to your old company, but it looks like it worked out for you. Hopefully the benefits last.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think that being currently unemployed is a good enough reason to go back to a place, especially with that sort of raise

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
A change in the correct leadership can be transformative on workplace culture.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

I think that being currently unemployed is a good enough reason to go back to a place, especially with that sort of raise

Out of professional courtesy, I called the GM of the company I was about to have a second interview with, and his exact words were "Holy poo poo".

Re: leadership changes - we've also done a major RIF, but I call it trimming the fat. Lots of clock-milkers and guys who would rather circlejerk than work. Since October, we've fired 7 or 8 installers and helpers.

Along with my former "boss", Fabio. He just couldn't cut it in my old position.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I am continuing to be frustrated by my VP's desire to have a formal meeting that is never shorter than 90 minutes for something that could be resolved in a 5 minute im exchange

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A long meeting always guarantees a level of bikeshedding as well

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I have a coworker who will constantly drag meetings off topic or over-explain the minutia of what he has to do for a task and oh my god it just makes everything so long just stop talking please.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

The Fool posted:

I am continuing to be frustrated by my VP's desire to have a formal meeting that is never shorter than 90 minutes for something that could be resolved in a 5 minute im exchange

Yeah, I hate this poo poo.

I get a bunch of invites to meetings with no clear info on what they're expecting from me. Any time I ask I get something like "it's fine, you don't need to prepare we can just talk about what we need at the meeting". It's infuriating.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
If anyone is thinking about using MessageExchange/Giacom/Cloud.Market or whatever they call themselves nowadays for hosted email, just don't.

We have individual logins to access their web portal which has changed design yet again recently, now if you want to access any KB articles it takes you to a Helpjuice signin page, which we cannot access since none of our credentials we use for the main portal work.

I need to configure a customers iphone for one of their hosted email accounts, but can't remember the server name since it's been ages since I've done one, and the customer doesn't have autodiscover set up for them.

I raise a support ticket on their web portal: "Hi, I need the server name to use for configuring mobile access to a hosted Exchange 2013 account thanks. I was directed to the KB for this but cannot access it as our portal credentials don't seem to work for this other site"

Their reply: "Here is a KB link to the article you need. Use the same credentials you use for the main site".

My response: "Thanks for the quick response, but as I already said I can't access the KB support site. Can you please just provide the correct server name?"

Their reply: "*wall of text explaining how to add an email account to an iPhone*. When prompted, enter the relevant server name from the table below"

There is no table.

Apart from the one I'm repeatedly banging my head on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Office 365 and G Suite are the only acceptable hosted email providers.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Holy poo poo my manager is constantly conflating vendor and service names when talking to management and it's getting super frustrating.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Today I had the pleasure of being in the same annual insurance open enrollment meeting as SoO and was there to see in person his shock at how much health insurance premiums are; now that he's moving off his parent's insurance. :allears:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
poo poo not pissing me off:

I might get to swing a tour of the Amazon Bracket facilities. Yes, I would absolutely like to fly to the Amazon Cal Tech campus and tour a building with multiple thirty million dollar quantum computers.

edit: poo poo pissing me off:

I had a data load in progress that was importing 2500 files of 1.5 million rows of data into a database. It ran for five days and then when it ended I found that a big in my code was causing the data to be processed but the final copy into the database didn't fire. Time to rewrite my error checking and run the load all over again. *grumble*

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 6, 2020

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

PBS posted:

Yeah, I hate this poo poo.

I get a bunch of invites to meetings with no clear info on what they're expecting from me. Any time I ask I get something like "it's fine, you don't need to prepare we can just talk about what we need at the meeting". It's infuriating.

If you can swing it, start refusing meetings without an agenda in the invite. Or if the agenda does not contain pertinent items do you, refuse the invite.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Holy poo poo, my nephew is driving me insane. Right now he's going on and on about some loving "Always open" checkbox in Google Chrome, that's apparently hidden for a few releases. He's currently trying to set a registry key to revert that, got panicked about a bunch of keys he didn't see on the computer of his other parent, and is pestering me about it all with some incoherent WhatsApp messages. I've been unsuccessfully trying to get him to paste some stupid text in a file, save it as a .reg file and double click it. Christ almighty. He keeps going on about how he wants to study computer sciences/programming, but any material and links I send him get left on the wayside in favor of gaming. How the hell are you going to study that topic, if navigating the registry is blowing your mind? Nevermind he kept going on about Google this and Google that at the beginning, and I'm like "what are you talking about? Chrome?", which was met with "well, the internet browser".

The reason Google has hidden that checkbox is pretty much people like him to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Some of the C levels decided that our agency needs to be more "woke" so they now want to give users the option of having their chosen pronouns appear in their email signature. The IT dept. (all 2 of us) now have to drop what we're doing and figure out how to implement this using O365. To make it even better, nobody wants to pay for a 3rd party tool/service that will do what they're asking. :negative: