Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dingwick
May 3, 2007

This is always the highlight of my day.

Lockback posted:

Comfort is obviously all up to you, but I wouldn't call the Rift S a gigantic step up in quality or anything. I argue against the "Never S"'s that post here, but if you bought a Quest it's probably because you wanted wireless so you probably should stick with that.

Comfort is another thing though, if you don't see yourself getting used to it then yeah, I'd probably ditch it.

I did order an AMVR face pad replacement which is arriving today. I'll see how that changes things first. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Dingwick posted:

I got my Quest on Tuesday and while I've been having a blast both with standalone and with Link, it's not very comfortable to wear and I'm paranoid about the Link graphics quality being lesser than the Rift S. I need someone to talk me off the ledge because I'm close to returning the Quest and getting the Rift S instead.
Have you tried adding a counterweight (e.g. battery pack) yet? It supposedly improves the comfort quite a bit.

Don't have a Quest myself, but even for my Index a counterweight makes it feel much nicer overall, even though it is reportedly the most comfortable headset to begin with. Note that the amount of weight resting on your head doesn't really matter (within reason) as long as it is distributed evenly in such a fashion that your spine/skeleton carries the weight and not your neck muscles. By default pretty much all VR headsets are front-heavy.

SirViver fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 6, 2020

Dingwick
May 3, 2007

SirViver posted:

Have you tried adding a counterweight (e.g. battery pack) yet? It supposedly improves the comfort quite a bit.

Don't have a Quest myself, but even for my Index a counterweight makes it feel much nicer overall, even though it is reportedly the most comfortable headset to begin with. Note that the amount of weight resting on your head doesn't really matter (within reason) as long as it is distributed evenly in such a fashion that your spine/skeleton carries the weight and not your neck muscles. By default pretty much all VR headsets are front-heavy.

For me it isn't so much the weight as the fabric being itchy and digging into my face. The head strap is tolerable, especially when I'm sitting.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Dingwick posted:

For me it isn't so much the weight as the fabric being itchy and digging into my face. The head strap is tolerable, especially when I'm sitting.

The fabric won't dig in to your face as much or at all if you counterweight it, seriously, try that before anything else.

I still have trouble with the Quest comfort because I use the narrowest IPD and have a huge fuckin' nose that whacks the eyepieces if I turn my head fast. What I can tell you though is at least for me the Rift S is even worse, between the visor band and the cable (and no IPD adjustment when I'm so far out of bounds made me sick quickly).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dingwick posted:

VRCover makes excellent face cushion replacements for all VR headsets with vegan leather surfaces. No more itchy face, and much easier to keep clean.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Dingwick posted:

I used to find my Quest very unconfortable with how much pressure it was putting on either my front or cheecks, the counterweight imrpoved the situation by 90% at least. I can use my Quest for 1h+ and it feels about the same as my old CV1 comfort wise, with a counterweight and a velcro strap to fix the Link cable to the top band of the headset (in a similar fashion to the CV1 composite cable).

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

El Grillo posted:

This.
Unfortunately in terms of gameplay the awesomeness of the physics really just meant that the terrible combat AI and enemy animations were too distracting to make the whole thing add up to a really fun experience. It's so close to being the perfect melee combat sim. Sadly I don't expect this to be improved much because melee AI is just hard as gently caress.

It feels similar to swinging at fastballs in a batting cage or taking a bucket of golf balls to the driving range. There's not enough there to be a truly great game and you're not going to want to do it for more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time.

But it's still a ton of fun.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Deathlove posted:

Has Oculus firmware 13 actually hit the Quest yet? The shuddering using Link was supposed to be fixed in it, and I've seen the posts about v13 coming out, but checking the software and my Quest, everything is still at 12 with no way to force an update.

I manually updated mine to v13 yesterday using https://www.reddit.com/r/oculusquest/wiki/guides/manualupdate

Takes about 15 minutes.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dingwick posted:

I got my Quest on Tuesday and while I've been having a blast both with standalone and with Link, it's not very comfortable to wear and I'm paranoid about the Link graphics quality being lesser than the Rift S. I need someone to talk me off the ledge because I'm close to returning the Quest and getting the Rift S instead.

I can just say as someone who recently upgraded from the original Rift to the Rift S, the Rift S is super comfortable. Original Rift bothered the hell out of my face after awhile. I haven’t tried the Quest so I don’t know how it compares to the old Rift.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Quest isn't very comfortable yeah, but I reached a 'decent' comfort point with it with a simple counterweight (10k mah battery + velcro on the bottom side of the triangle). It was a light battery so it doesn't even counter half of the weight, only 1/3, but it was enough to allow to play 90 minutes without pauses.

edit: mine

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 6, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New Pistol Whip track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnErXt6fd90

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Deathlove posted:

Has Oculus firmware 13 actually hit the Quest yet? The shuddering using Link was supposed to be fixed in it, and I've seen the posts about v13 coming out, but checking the software and my Quest, everything is still at 12 with no way to force an update.

It just hit mine, and without need of manual updates.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's pretty good.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

It just hit mine, and without need of manual updates.

And now Oculus Link doesn't work. yayy!

I think I'm going to sleep...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Quest ownership is spreading like a plague!

*checks notes*

No, wait, the Quest ITSELF could potentially spread the plague. Backorders are delayed because Coronavirus is impacting their hardware production chain.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Most hardware produced in China is currently experiencing the same issues, as people are not going to work cause they're sick or (most commonly) have been told to or are afraid of contagion.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder if the coronavirus panic will affect VR more than other devices,as you know, they go into one's face.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Turin Turambar posted:

I wonder if the coronavirus panic will affect VR more than other devices,as you know, they go into one's face.

If you are sharing it with patients, maybe.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SEKCobra posted:

The devices are coming straight from China, which is the concern we're discussing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The devices are coming straight from China, which is the concern we're discussing.

I realize that, but it is not a current concern for the spread of this disease AFAIK

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

Hah, I didn't meant it as I personally believe it's a factor risk or anything. It was more like people in panic don't think very logically, and at some point they will actually believe in something like this:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Hah, I didn't meant it as I personally believe it's a factor risk or anything. It was more like people in panic don't think very logically, and at some point they will actually believe in something like this:

It's already happening; Chinese markets are down by a LOT because people don't want to buy anything that might be contaminated with Coronavirus, whether the risk is real or not. The truth is even if you had the gif happening verbatim it's still weeks in transit on a cargo ship before it gets anywhere, and the lifespan of most cold viruses outside of a body is a lot shorter than the time between some worker in a factory sneezes and you opening the shrinkwrap.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Crisis vrigade has had a stealth update which appears to have implemented co op!

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
I like the look of the steamvr menu. The depth of it is slick.
I think Anton went too hard to the easy side with this update. Started a new game of take and hold last night, and plowed through it with just a 45. The A.I just seemed more sedate. Plus, the Hp on the cubes were too low, and it felt wrong.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

That Italian Guy posted:

Most hardware produced in China is currently experiencing the same issues, as people are not going to work cause they're sick or (most commonly) have been told to or are afraid of contagion.

This is the big one.

Stuff is delayed out of China right now because of the one-two punch of Chinese New Year which always slows things down and cities of 10+ million people effectively quarantined which means a lot of factories, trains, trucks, and ships are not operating.

If there's any demand effect of export consumers concerned about getting a virus from Chinese goods, it's certainly much smaller than the supply interruptions from decreased economic activities. China's GDP dropped like crazy during 2003 when SARS was happening due to those interruptions.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I read the OP and I still don't understand the difference between the Rift S and the Oculus Quest, and which one I would want. I read a PC gamer article and it said that the Quest doesn't work with steam only a weird android store? https://www.pcmag.com/comparisons/oculus-quest-vs-oculus-rift-s-which-vr-headset-should-you-buy I'm new to this but I don't know which one I want to buy. I'm using a GTX 2060 card with a 9th Gen i7-9750H. I only have 3 USB ports on my machine, and they're very far spread out. It's a gaming laptop, but I overclocked the GPU to perform with the same stats as a desktop GTX 2060

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

I read the OP and I still don't understand the difference between the Rift S and the Oculus Quest, and which one I would want. I read a PC gamer article and it said that the Quest doesn't work with steam only a weird android store? https://www.pcmag.com/comparisons/oculus-quest-vs-oculus-rift-s-which-vr-headset-should-you-buy I'm new to this but I don't know which one I want to buy. I'm using a GTX 2060 card with a 9th Gen i7-9750H. I only have 3 USB ports on my machine, and they're very far spread out. It's a gaming laptop, but I overclocked the GPU to perform with the same stats as a desktop GTX 2060

my opinion: if you're going to be playing on PC, get the S. if you want to play Quest-only games (simpler graphics, closer to mobile games) get the Quest.

Quest is a bit technically inferior to the S.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dingwick posted:

The face pad pops right off and can be replaces with several different options.

https://www.amazon.com/AMVR-Interfa...81113854&sr=8-3

Boba Pearl posted:

Steam VR works with quest link just fine.

Dingwick
May 3, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

The Quest has Oculus Link which has been pretty good for me outside of some minor audio hiccups. The Quest's screen is also a slightly higher res OLED in comparison to the Rift S' LCD which can affect deep blacks, although the refresh rate on the Quest is 72 Hz and the Rift S is 80 Hz if your eyes are sensitive to flicker. You'll also want to invest in a 3rd-party face pad and something to act as a counterweight on the back of the Quest's headband for comfort. The big draw of the Quest is its ability to setup and play anywhere you want. With Link getting better all the time, Quest is poised to offer the best of both worlds.

EDIT: This is the USB-C cable I'm using for Link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YLS96M7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dingwick fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 7, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The oled thing is not as big of a deal for deep blacks as it sounds because oculus applies something called SPUD to make blacks a sort of dark grey on their OLED panels anyway.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Dingwick posted:

The Quest's screen is also a slightly higher res OLED in comparison to the Rift S' LCD which can affect deep blacks, although the refresh rate on the Quest is 72 Hz and the Rift S is 80 Hz if your eyes are sensitive to flicker.

It's a bit disingenuous to claim the Quest's screen is higher resolution than the S when it has significantly less subpixels.

They both have great screens that blow the original Rift and Vive out of the water, but the RGB stripe on the S is excellent.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Dingwick posted:

Look into the face cushion replacements/accessories. I just got the cheap cloth cover you strap on it so you have something that can easily be washed, and even that took care of things for me.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Boba Pearl posted:

I read the OP and I still don't understand the difference between the Rift S and the Oculus Quest, and which one I would want. I read a PC gamer article and it said that the Quest doesn't work with steam only a weird android store?

Probably confusing the matter is the Quest is it's own standalone unit with its own standalone 'portable' VR ecosystem.

Since release there's been an 'official' way to make it work with a PC and the PC VR ecosystem, via the oculus link cable. This is probably not reflected in alot of early reviews and guides.

This makes it an easy recommendation, because it can easily do both.

There's some advantages to the Rift S, like the higher frame rate and more comfortable design, but the ease of use and compatibility of the Quest makes it a much easier recommendation.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The Oculus Quest doesn't come with a cable though right?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Boba Pearl posted:

The Oculus Quest doesn't come with a cable though right?

Not the one you need for Link. A perfectly functional "unofficial" cable can be had for 20-30 bucks though. I went with this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0833ZCRB7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Hey fellow VR nerds, I am sorry if this ahs been covered by the thread before but I have an Index and literally every time I make a vertical move like crouching the earbuds go flying out of position. Do I need to do something special here? Should I just tape that poo poo?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Uhh aren't the headphones on the Index attached? Mine look like this.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What do you mean?

It's supposed to look like this. They're not supposed to sit on your ears.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I think Chomposaur is referring to the same headphones but that because of their range of motion, when they do extreme movements they change positions so they aren't directly facing the ears. I haven't had this problem, but it sounds like they're loose? I don't know if there's a way to tighten them, I haven't attempted that as mine have been fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

Several people have replied already but the important thing to know is that the Quest is basically an Android-powered console, with in fact a somewhat weak mobile chip. So it's totally standalone, it has its own cpu, its own internal battery, etc.
Rift S is a 'dumb' screen, it exists to be connected to a PC.

They have a series of tradeoffs between them. You have the obvious part: Quest not needing a good computer, being portable and not needing a bothersome cable connected to anything; but the trade-off is being pretty front heavy which is uncomfortable on long sessions, it's why lots of people mod it, use counterweights, etc. Rift S is pretty comfortable from the get-go, from what I've heard.
Rift S has a good LCD screen, but Quest has an even better OLED screen. But still another trade-off: the LCD screen is full RGB stripe, while the OLED screen from the Quest is Pentile, which means it has a more notable door-screen effect, or space between pixels.
And one more thing about the screen, Rift S is 80 hz, Quest is only 72 hz. Small difference, but still, an advantage for Rift S, there is no trade-off here.
I've heard the audio system isn't good in any of the two (although in both can be fixed with headphones), although it seems Rift S is especially underwhelming, while Quest is just very meh.
Rift S has one more camera for tracking, so it should be slightly better?
edit: Oh yeah I forgot something important! fixed ipd in Rift S vs mechanical slider adjustable ipd from Quest. It can be important.

That was the main comparison between the two. Although in the last months things have changed. One, Facebook seems focused on the Quest much more than Rift S, in fact Rift S is really a LG device that uses Oculus technology in a partnership, Quest is Facebook baby. This means things like new features like hand tracking having priority for the Quest (it isn't clear if it's going to reach Rift S at this point). And I can bet most FB software will be developed thinking more on Quest.

Second, they have released Oculus Link (still in beta!), giving a way to use the Quest connecting it to the Oculus app on PC, allowing to use it like a PC VR headset. This needs a good (and long) usb3 cable, the Quest doesn't come with it. And the performance of the experience with Link is very close but not 100% the same, it has extra latency for example. I couldn't notice in normal games but I guess it will be a factor if you play Beat Saber in Expert+.
In any case, this is the point where lots of people started recommending the Quest, because it's like a 2in1 solution, mobile + PC headset, for the same price, while the Rift S just does one thing. But depending on your case use, as I've commented above, there Rift S has some better features in some areas so if you only want to play on PC, it's an option. It was also $50 cheaper on Christmas.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Feb 8, 2020