Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the only pointing and clicking i want to do in a game is if it's Fate of Atlantis

if a game is an arpg then you play it with a controller. action games = controller

if the combat happens automatically it's even worse!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FirstAidKite posted:

What didn't you like about it?

You see those comments after yours? That sort of comment led me to believe the game was really special. But really, it's not. The first part of the game is putting together the narrative which is interesting. Then figuring out who everyone is was intriguing but not really a lot of fun for me. I kept on because I thought the hidden chapter was going to tie it all together and make it worthwhile. But it came off as a wet fart and I left feeling very disappointed.

I give the game credit for doing something I haven't seen before. But I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because if they took my recommendation and spent $$ it is very possible they would have the same reaction I did. To be fair, though, I only recommend games that I'd give a 9/10 or better. Same with movies. I only recommend things that I see as really great, not just good.

If Obra Dinn was free, I would definitely say give it a look. But to spend $$? Naw.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my friend was actually super psyched about playing obra dinn after a couple of other friends played through and loved it but the graphics/art style gave her either headaches or motion sickness which is a shame

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The figuring things out is why it's so special. It's a kind of gameplay that doesn't exist anywhere else and is incredibly cool. You didn't like it I guess which is too bad but to say that the game isn't special is absurd

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If someone asks me for a good puzzle game I'll absolutely say obra dinn

If someone asks me for a game in a different genre I probably won't say obra dinn

Who is asking you for game recommendations without any qualifiers, or do you go around volunteering them out of context

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I shout game recs into the drive thru speaker at Burger King

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

haveblue posted:

do you go around volunteering them out of context

I've literally had people who don't play video games sit down and play through Obra Dinn because it's A) accessible to them even though they don't usually play games because it's almost all just about the puzzle and B) deserves to be experienced.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

You see those comments after yours? That sort of comment led me to believe the game was really special. But really, it's not. The first part of the game is putting together the narrative which is interesting. Then figuring out who everyone is was intriguing but not really a lot of fun for me. I kept on because I thought the hidden chapter was going to tie it all together and make it worthwhile.
what did you think was going to happen, did you think it was going to turn into an immersive-sim bullet hell metroidvania? it's an investigation game

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
obra dinn's music is way too overbearing but i love its concept and it carries that concept through as best as i think a game possibly could

more paperwork-em-ups please

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Relax Or DIE posted:

I shout game recs into the drive thru speaker at Burger King

That'll be $2.99, please pull around to the first window.

The 7th Guest posted:

what did you think was going to happen, did you think it was going to turn into an immersive-sim bullet hell metroidvania? it's an investigation game

Did you miss the post-credits portion, where you could steer the ship and sing sea shanties?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Awesome Animals posted:

That'll be $2.99, please pull around to the first window.

Did you miss the post-credits portion, where you could steer the ship and sing sea shanties?

You shoulda put a way higher price to imply, accurately, that I am very fat

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The hidden chapter did tie it all together and make it worthwhile

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

More like Obored Halfway-In

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rime of the Ancient Mariner 2: Return of the Obra Dinn

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Return of the Obra Dinnot Buy This Game

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
after you clear the final chapter in Obra Dinn click the two thumbsticks in at the same time to activate CLAIMS MODE and decimate your enemies while recovering a modest amount of health

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

feh, sure this game was good. but a 9/10? no. so my rec is dont pay money for it. save your money for the real gems. a solid game by a small dev deserves no payment!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

havnt played it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

(for this post you have to pretend that i liked all of doom 2016)

people told me doom 2016 was great, but all you do is run around and shoot demons in it. i kept playing all the way to the end because i thought maybe the game would become a procedurally generated roguelike with typing mechanics, but it just kept being about shooting demons. needless to say, i was unable to refund, and i will instead be returning my computer to CompUSA

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If only SunhiLegend had made more Obra Dinn slo-mo gifs

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Rime of the Ancient Mariner 2: Return of the Obra Dinn

sounds like that user's opinion of the game is going to be a real obratross around their neck

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Obra Dinn and Papers Please take place in the same universe

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks ObraDinnbama!!!

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.
Obra Dinn would have been better without puzzle durability. Also it starts raining and then you can't climb the mast any more.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Dischorr_N posted:

Obra Dinn would have been better without puzzle durability. Also it starts raining and then you can't climb the mast any more.

don't do this

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

RBA Starblade posted:

More like Obored Halfway-In

I love Obra Dinn but Obra :drat:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Return of the Obra :bernin:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I kept hearing people say how the end was really awesome or something to that nature. So I was expecting a crazy swerve like aliens or something wacky. I wasn't expecting something that just fit in the narrative.

Also, my favorite character was the monkey so I was pretty pissed off at the monkeycide. I get that it was done so that there would be a way to see what happened in there but really, nothing much happened in there. So the monkey was killed for no reason. So, if you want my recommendation: don't kill cool monkeys!

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

Relax Or DIE posted:

You shoulda put a way higher price to imply, accurately, that I am very fat

That seems cruel though :(

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I kept hearing people say how the end was really awesome or something to that nature. So I was expecting a crazy swerve like aliens or something wacky. I wasn't expecting something that just fit in the narrative.

gamers brains in action

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The hidden chapter did tie it all together and make it worthwhile

Seriously. When I finally understood what that glint in the sea to the back left of the ship had been I was all whoa. Perhaps the only coolest thing was understanding the ship's surgeon had the memento mortem watch stashed in his room all along and indeed finding the case under his table upon checking.

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, my favorite character was the monkey so I was pretty pissed off at the monkeycide. I get that it was done so that there would be a way to see what happened in there but really, nothing much happened in there. So the monkey was killed for no reason. So, if you want my recommendation: don't kill cool monkeys!
I mean, that's when the actual mystery gets answered though. Without it you can't understand why the ship came back.

Chev fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 6, 2020

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Although I like animals I am indifferent to primates

This is a part of Sekiro I enjoyed

Make me hurt a seal, though, and we have Problems

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

wow i thought this game was going to have a good ending but there wasn't even a wacky science fiction twist that completely changed the entire tone of the game. i cannot loving believe that a game billed as a maritime mystery turned out to be a maritime mystery. do NOT give these charlatans a red cent i say!!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol aliens what

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Awesome Animals posted:

That seems cruel though :(

Goons regularly provoke people with depression, anxiety and body dysmorphia, even in this thread, you really think this place isn't cruel lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You have to clear it at least once to unlock the UFO ending, dog ending is better though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You need to complete the second hidden chapter 'the secret of captain syrup' then it becomes Wario Land 5

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is Obra Dinn Frog Fractions 3 :tinfoil:

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

precision posted:

Goons regularly provoke people with depression, anxiety and body dysmorphia, even in this thread, you really think this place isn't cruel lol

#NOTALLGOONS sir

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

don't do this

Obra Dinn would have been more successful if it had gone free to play with one guess per day or pay for more. Also daily quests and microtransactions for player customization.