Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I heard that one too but I genuinely didn't realise it was a play on his name's pronunciation rather than just, y'know, his name is butt lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I called him Butty-gig until I learned it properly.

Bloody Maltese :arghfist:

e; If you want to know how impressive he isn't, consider that he came third in Iowa among queer voters.

Imagine being a high profile gay man and, at least putatively, realistic chance at Presidential nominee.

And imagine the gays don't even like you nearly as much as Bernie or even Warren.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Butt Gregg's

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nationwide Platinum does the same thing too except it's Visa. You don't even really need it for travel, if you just happen to buy stuff online from the US semi-frequently it's handy because the exchange rate is *way* better than Paypal.

mastcard rates are consistently better than visa though if you care about saving penny shavings

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Buttigieg is less qualified to be President than I am and I'm neither a US citizen nor 35

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Julio Cruz posted:

Buttigieg is less qualified to be President than I am and I'm neither a US citizen nor 35

When I was a kid I was like "35?! That's so unfair! That's so OLD!" and now I'm turning 35 in a few months and I'm like "Christ alive there's no way someone my age should be put in charge of anything."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really hope the yanks manage to pull together a coalition of people who are just so loving sick of all their societal bullshit. Sanders doing really well with minority voters is heartening, hopefully they can get some decent healthcare and they can catapult it into some real scouring of the loving ghouls that run that hellhole of a country.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

I really hope the yanks manage to pull together a coalition of people who are just so loving sick of all their societal bullshit. Sanders doing really well with minority voters is heartening, hopefully they can get some decent healthcare and they can catapult it into some real scouring of the loving ghouls that run that hellhole of a country.

Big same but we're gonna look like real assholes if the yanks manage to elect someone who actually wants to fix poo poo while we continue tripping over our own dicks by voting for Brexit and electing the tories over and over :v:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's what internationalism is for though right, living vicariously through the successes of other people?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

Butt Gregg's

Gregg's beans boiled my butt

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Bernie definitely will at least win the popular vote during the primaries overall but given the democratic party is even less democratic (lol) than Labour was in 2015 and probably on the whole hates him even more than they hated Corbyn, I'm wondering if there's some roundabout procedural way they can rules-lawyer his defeat which will probably destroy the party in the long run because oh my god people will be so pissed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lol, shocked at David Blunkett poking his head over the parapet again to be a fascist oval office and voice support for more police suppression.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

quote:

The figures, published by Deltapoll, highlights that 60 per cent of UK adults are in favour of further police powers to prevent and limit protests, due largely to the perceived disruptive effects.

Maybe you dipshits should be mad at the people being protested, not the protestors trying to improve things

:thunkher:

loving hell.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Come on you can't expect the british public to have basic inductive reasoning.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Edinburgh Central nominates RLB on seconds, and Butler on fourths. Kerr for Scottish deputy. :toot:

Get hosed, Murray.

North & Leith is sounding like it’s gone sour, though, which is a bad sign.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Paypal's not, actually, a friend. And if it were, why'd it want to manage my monetary transactions? Suspect imo

I've actually had a better rate from paypal than visa credit card yesterday when buying a computer, albeit I paid with the card for potential chargeback (it was less than a 50p difference).

e:
Also gently caress me is this website, which is the first result when googling information about chargebacks, whiny:

chargebacks911 posted:

What is a Chargeback on a Credit Card? Is There a Reason Why We Say “Don’t File Chargebacks”?

There's never been a better time to be a consumer. Thanks to the internet, nearly anything you could want is as close as your phone or laptop. Merchants around the globe are fighting for your attention. You, the buyer, have great power and influence over the eCommerce environment. But there's one aspect of credit card ownership that you may not fully understand—and that lack of understanding is crippling businesses of all sizes.

You see, businesses get hit every time a buyer like you files a chargeback on credit card purchases. The effects ripple out, and merchants are desperate for you to recognize how your actions impact the economy in a big way.

My heart bleeds for poor shady businesses worldwide.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 6, 2020

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Private Speech posted:

I've actually had a better rate from paypal than visa credit card recently when buying a computer, albeit I paid with the card for potential chargeback (it was less than a 50p difference).

e:
Also gently caress me, is this website, which is the first result for googling chargebacks, whiny:

wowzers, those 'murcans are legit crazy.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Laura Pidcock is cancelled.

https://twitter.com/ofthesparrows/status/1225517310284308485

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Consumer this and consumer that. Who will protect the corporations??

Maybe this should be solved by a portmanteau, the american's favourite linguistic crime. How about corp-sumers? Sounds great imo

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Edinburgh Central nominates RLB on seconds, and Butler on fourths. Kerr for Scottish deputy. :toot:

Get hosed, Murray.

Matt Kerr is cool and good and I hope he wins.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

wowzers, those 'murcans are legit crazy.

You left out the best bit from Sunshine there:

Sunshine Compua posted:

The problem is that MERCHANTS HAVE TO START SUING THE CREDIT CARD BRANDS for what they know is aiding and abedding buyers to steal. PayPal gets sued every year but the problem is that people settle and nothing gets put into law. Business owners are to credit card's is no different than slavery to africian americans, they wanted equal rights well they faught for it, instead of just sitting around and complaining about it. Buyers are idiots to see how easily they get talked into using credit cards for everything buying a 50 cent postage stamp.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Those africians, from africia.

It's a great sentence, it's like it's challenging you to add or remove punctuation to make it less poo poo.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
How many businesses can you abduct and cram into a credit card side by side for a many weeks long journey through the legal process.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Welp, looks like the concerns she might be a bit terfy were all too right. Shame, I had really hoped given how good she was on other matters that it was just some ill-chosen words or the like, and I wasn't as ready to cancel her as some. :sigh:

Also a lad I went to uni with was called Matt Kerr and was pretty lefty, was hopeful he was the one under discussion but sadly just the same name.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's really weird that people can be right on and then just loving do that drifting up the offramp meme into single issue shittiness.

Like what makes you think that these weirdos funded by US evangelicals are on the right side of history here? Has there ever been any instance where the people going "hey we need to slow down and think about whether these people clamouring for protections and rights really deserve them you know" have been correct?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ms Adequate posted:

When I was a kid I was like "35?! That's so unfair! That's so OLD!" and now I'm turning 35 in a few months and I'm like "Christ alive there's no way someone my age should be put in charge of anything."

*sadly crumples up Ms Adequate For Prime Minister poster*

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

e; ^^^ :laugh: Obviously I'm the exception, I might not get out of my pajamas half the time but I could definitely command a military and make those barmy Brussels bureaucrats toe our line!

I can't honestly fathom being against the radical expansion of rights and protections as a core personal matter as well as foremost political beliefs.

Like, I can't wrap my head around how we live in a world where we've not already settled all extant matters and are now discussing how to protect the rights of clones and androids and aliens so we're ready if/when those issues arise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it makes perfect sense if you're just a miserable old twat who is perfectly happy with society as it is because it suits you fine and gently caress everyone else.

But it seems wildly incongruous with a general thrust to overturn the current order for being unjust.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Like what makes you think that these weirdos funded by US evangelicals are on the right side of history here? Has there ever been any instance where the people going "hey we need to slow down and think about whether these people clamouring for protections and rights really deserve them you know" have been correct?
PIE/NAMBLA.

Like half of the religious right were against them because they marched with gay lib groups and the other half were against them performatively to cover for their own noncing, but there was a time when pedophile rights were a thing that were being discussed in the public protest sphere.

I suspect that part of the success of the terves is that they've latched onto the bit that mattered there (opposing pedophile rights is good because they wanted the right to nonce kids) to try to turn trans rights into a threat to the safety of natal* women.

That's not new either though, that's been around since Mary Whitehouse tried to turn the idea of telling kids it's okay to be gay into a secret recruitment plan for homosexualists.

*KZN since 1994

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

PIE/NAMBLA.

Like half of the religious right were against them because they marched with gay lib groups and the other half were against them performatively to cover for their own noncing, but there was a time when pedophile rights were a thing that were being discussed in the public protest sphere.

I suspect that part of the success of the terves is that they've latched onto the bit that mattered there (opposing pedophile rights is good because they wanted the right to nonce kids) to try to turn trans rights into a threat to the safety of natal* women.

That's not new either though, that's been around since Mary Whitehouse tried to turn the idea of telling kids it's okay to be gay into a secret recruitment plan for homosexualists.

*KZN since 1994

I loving knew someone was gonna say PIE and I had like a 70% guess it was gonna be you lol.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

Bernie definitely will at least win the popular vote during the primaries overall but given the democratic party is even less democratic (lol) than Labour was in 2015 and probably on the whole hates him even more than they hated Corbyn, I'm wondering if there's some roundabout procedural way they can rules-lawyer his defeat which will probably destroy the party in the long run because oh my god people will be so pissed.

If no candidate gets an outright majority in the first round at the convention, then superdelegates are allowed to vote

So if bernie gets 40 percent and butt gets 20, the DNC members are allowed to jump behind butt for the ratfuck

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 6, 2020

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

I can't honestly fathom being against the radical expansion of rights and protections as a core personal matter as well as foremost political beliefs.

Like, I can't wrap my head around how we live in a world where we've not already settled all extant matters and are now discussing how to protect the rights of clones and androids and aliens so we're ready if/when those issues arise.

Lack of empathy/selfishness.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Get hosed, Murray.

Congrats on attaining the result I almost certainly won’t get in Paisley tomorrow night :smith:

gently caress I hate being hopeful sometimes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

FairyNuff posted:

Lack of empathy/selfishness.

Yeah, I guess I just don't get how that's such a widespread condition...

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

The problem is that TERFs are incredibly ingrained in the British liberal press and political circles... Like Pidcock is 32, she's not some old fogey getting her views from back in the day, but she's probably getting it from a figure who is an original 2nd wave Greer-reading TERF.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Ms Adequate posted:

Have you considered that in fact the concept of people being in charge is what is in fact bad?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Indeed, and that's why I should be in charge, so I can get rid of the idea of people being in charge.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Ms Adequate posted:

I dunno, probably due to constant messaging through media/peers, it is poo poo either way.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Sanders big problem in '16 (apart from the obvious one) was a lack of appeal with minority voters, and that was supposed to be Joe Biden's biggest asset. Unfortunately the Brain Geniuses at the DNC assumed that "Used to stand near Barack Obama for a living" was all the qualification he needed to keep that vote which says a *lot* about how they really think about people of colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ms Adequate posted:

I think a lot of it stems from fear. It serves the ruling elite to keep people worrying about homes, jobs, security, where the next meal is coming from and also 'thank god I'm alright'.

It's about keeping people mired in the bottom 2 layers of the Maslow pyramid. Keep people unsettled down there and they won't have energy to look further up.

This is also why the tories were so keen on offering multiple choices for people for schools, hospitals and so forth, instead of ensuring all schools provide a decent education for all kids.
If you're spending all your time worrying about what choices to make for your kids' schools you won't have the energy to pay too much attention to the nefarious activities of the government. :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

Maslow might not be perfect, but I think it's a fairly simple and reasonable model.