Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

China's bans on stuff like skeletons make a lot more sense when you realize that they deliberately lean in to racist western ideas of the ~perfidous orient~ to give themselves open ended reasons to ban basically whatever they don't want, that won't be questioned/ pushed back on by foreigners because oh those wacky Chinese people and their strange cultural prohibitions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I had thought that the prohibition was against the display of supernatural forces because it implies that such things exist outside the sphere of control of the communist party.

I would not be surprised to know that that's bullshit though.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The stated reason and actual reason China bans things are usually equally stupid.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
http://www.gov.cn/flfg/2010-06/22/content_1633935.htm
From at least as far back as 2010, the listed regulations the Ministry of Culture arbitrates in a review process include

quote:

Gambling-related content or game features
Anything that violates China’s constitution
Anything that threatens China’s national unity, sovereignty, or territorial integrity.
Anything that harms the nation’s reputation, security, or interests.
Anything that instigates racial/ethnic hatred, or harms ethnic traditions and cultures.
Anything that violates China’s policy on religion by promoting cults or superstitions.
Anything that promotes or incites obscenity, drug use, violence, or gambling.
Anything that harms public ethics or China’s culture and traditions.
Anything that insults, slanders, or violates the rights of others.
Other content that violates the law
With a little imagination, you can see how broadly those can be applied, and in the end it's mostly down to what the people doing the reviewing feel like at the time. A pretty large amount of censorship from foreign companies is self-imposed to try and minimize the amount of time their product stays in the review process (and gets re-scrutinized if it's ongoing media). China doesn't care about skeletons and ghosts per se so much as they may care about exerting their influence.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

China's bans on stuff like skeletons make a lot more sense when you realize that they deliberately lean in to racist western ideas of the ~perfidous orient~ to give themselves open ended reasons to ban basically whatever they don't want, that won't be questioned/ pushed back on by foreigners because oh those wacky Chinese people and their strange cultural prohibitions

I had to endure a customer at work raving at me about how the coronavirus is a Chinese bioweapon so they can kill us all and take our land they really don't even need to lean into it that hard

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Cracked has a good article on the state of Chinese censorship and culture, albeit from a musical angle:

https://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2502-life-as-american-punk-band-in-china.html

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The original reasons for the bans were legit, the CCP wanted to wipe those things from society, but they're only really kept around as a tool to beat around foreign companies. The most recent ban that affected everyone was the ban on time travel because the CCP has become obsessed with history and the presentation of it as it clamps down on things.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TheKirbs posted:

I'd have thought they'd have banned it at the vs Class 1-B battles.

Either because of Emily or Deku talking to the previous holders due to that thing they have about not allowing ghosts.

... Who is Emily?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SKULL.GIF posted:

... Who is Emily?

Reiko Yanagi.

She is ghost themed.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

... Who is Emily?

Poltergeist.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SKULL.GIF posted:

... Who is Emily?

https://bokunoheroacademia.fandom.com/wiki/Reiko_Yanagi

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That is a weird drat hero name.

If it is taken from The Exorcism of Emily Rose like the wiki presumes, that would be like if my power made me a werewolf and I named myself London after An American Werewolf in London.

It works as a reference, but you're not gonna get much hero work done or gain much popularity if you have to stop every thirty seconds to explain your name and the best response you can expect is "Ah. Got it."

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Some people think it's named after the Emily from Anya's Ghost.

It could also be the Emily from Corpse Bride.

There's a lot of dead Emilys related to the supernatural in fiction.

TheKirbs fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 6, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Whenever someone points out to Gran Torino that his hero name has gently caress-all to do with his Quirk, he goes into a lengthy monologue about his love of Clint Eastwood's directorial career.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Isn't there a horror game with a doll named Emily.

That counts as a ghost right.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emily_Wants_to_Play

maybe he really liked this game

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You know it's bad when the Wikipedia entry for a game doesn't have a "reception" section.

Edit: Some cursory research says it was a decent but unambitious jump-scare factory. The kind of game usually played on YouTube by people who make a career of overacting.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 6, 2020

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

That is a weird drat hero name.

If it is taken from The Exorcism of Emily Rose like the wiki presumes, that would be like if my power made me a werewolf and I named myself London after An American Werewolf in London.

It works as a reference, but you're not gonna get much hero work done or gain much popularity if you have to stop every thirty seconds to explain your name and the best response you can expect is "Ah. Got it."

I am absolutely guilty of having a werewolf faction leader in a World of Darkness tabletop game I ran go by 'London'. Sometimes the urge to make a pun or reference is just too strong.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

PMush Perfect posted:

You know it's bad when the Wikipedia entry for a game doesn't have a "reception" section.

Edit: Some cursory research says it was a decent but unambitious jump-scare factory. The kind of game usually played on YouTube by people who make a career of overacting.

I only really know the game cause it got played by a YouTuber I enjoy watching.

Actually might have been 2. Did Kizuna Ai play this game? I think she might've.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The original reasons for the bans were legit, the CCP wanted to wipe those things from society, but they're only really kept around as a tool to beat around foreign companies. The most recent ban that affected everyone was the ban on time travel because the CCP has become obsessed with history and the presentation of it as it clamps down on things.

Widespread censorship was never “legit”, my dude

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

any hero born after 1993 can’t save people… all they know is all might's, break they arms, yell, be bisexual , eat meat bun & cry

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I don't know how true this is, but I gathered there was a trend in a lot of literature to have historical sages and scholars appear - either as ghosts or through time travel - and tell the main character, "Hey: You're loving amazing! Thus says I, Guy From the 12th Century. Respect."

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

thetoughestbean posted:

Widespread censorship was never “legit”, my dude

I meant legit in that higher ups actually believed that having skeletons in fiction or whatever would cause the destruction of society. It's obviously ridiculous but Maoist China was crazy. Now it's just a law they haven't removed that they bring up arbitrarily, usually to protect the domestic game market.

Nessus posted:

I don't know how true this is, but I gathered there was a trend in a lot of literature to have historical sages and scholars appear - either as ghosts or through time travel - and tell the main character, "Hey: You're loving amazing! Thus says I, Guy From the 12th Century. Respect."

There was a big trend in dramas of having time travel as a plot device, basis, and they clamped down when they thought it was getting subversive. This is also around the same time historians started getting prosecuted for "historical nihilism", which is an actual crime in China that boils down to interpreting or publishing history contrary to the official party line.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Raws are out. Next chapter is good as hell.

Actual spoilers, for real:
Unclear, but the doctor appears to have some sort of quirk that keeps him alive or in his current appearance- he turns nearly to a skeleton when Eraserhead cancels his quirk out (or it's a ridiculously overdone stress reaction). Sadly- he's a Twice clone and breaks but not before letting out a bunch of noumu. Miruko kicks the loving dogshit out of all of them and busts into the real lab with presumably the real doctor and Shigaraki still in his tube.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 6, 2020

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

:ohdear:

I do not like that setup in the slightest

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I knew he was a clone!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fabricated posted:

Raws are out. Next chapter is good as hell.

Actual spoilers, for real:
Unclear, but the doctor appears to have some sort of quirk that keeps him alive or in his current appearance- he turns nearly to a skeleton when Eraserhead cancels his quirk out (or it's a ridiculously overdone stress reaction). Sadly- he's a Twice clone and breaks but not before letting out a bunch of noumu. Miruko kicks the loving dogshit out of all of them and busts into the real lab with presumably the real doctor and Shigaraki still in his tube.

You missed the most important thing that happens in this chapter.

Miruko crushes Johnny the Noumu when she breaks into the lab. RIP

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Vinylshadow posted:

I do not like that setup in the slightest

Me neither...

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

NEW VIGILANTES!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

gently caress THIS GUY

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I guess he’s trying to find a new host for the bee quirk?

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

No don't she doesn't deserve this :(

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

nooooo

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Welp. That's not great

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

If Pop gets hurt I'm going to join the Quirk Liberation Front. Time to burn society down.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Second half of today's episode was the Aoyama Cheese arc, and they did a great job.

What's on the balcony...? Cheeeeeeeese!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Boy howdy, there's some great angles on Miruko this chapter

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Every angle on Miruko is great angle. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful