Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

A note of those funny growths off Gaza.

That's useless desert, the plan also includes the disenfranchising of anyone of Arab decent having Israeli citizenship, finally rewarding them for 50+ years of total loyalty to Israel.

And we all look forward to ANOTHER generation of Radicalized Palestinians/Israeli/Arabs/everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I like that Gaza doesn't get a port either, lest they import useful materials or something.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I like that Gaza doesn't get a port either, lest they import useful materials or something.

I think you mean terrorist materials!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hamas Arson Kites

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Does anyone know of a little utility, hopefully web based, where you can draw shapes on a map and it will tell you the approximate population contained in the shape you drew? Maybe that doesn't even exist?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Does anyone know of a little utility, hopefully web based, where you can draw shapes on a map and it will tell you the approximate population contained in the shape you drew? Maybe that doesn't even exist?

Here’s some random one online https://www.freemaptools.com/find-population.htm

Use arcgis or similar for any meaningful purpose

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I like how Israelis get limited access roads to access their exclaves but Palestinians apparently can't be trusted to stay on the road so they get a loving massive road tunnel, which would almost certainly be one of the greatest engineering feats ever accomplished by humanity, and also incredibly impractical and dangerous in that political climate.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Platystemon posted:

quote:

Being able to navigate a city intuitively because of a grid is fantastically good actually, and that’s why Rome is still the greatest empire in the world.

:hmmyes:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Badger of Basra posted:

I think you mean terrorist materials!

I think this is showing Israeli ports that Palestinians somehow have rights to, despite not having a codified corridor to access them, so I'm not sure how they can use them without dealing with Israeli clay. I think. I might be giving them too much credit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Trabisnikof posted:

Here’s some random one online https://www.freemaptools.com/find-population.htm

Use arcgis or similar for any meaningful purpose

:lol:

the circle seems to work, but I def got a chuckle out of how broken the polygon search is

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

:hmmyes:
[/quote]

East Asia (well mostly China) used gridded cities too, so there’s some competition.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

"Tuttle's Red Barn," is apparently just a family farm, so I'm not sure it should really be listed as a corporation. At least I'm doubtful it was actually incorporated in the 17th century. According to its wikipedia page it was also sold by the Tuttle family in the mid 2000s, so it probably doesn't count anymore.

If this map is going to include any piece of land that has been continuously farmed probably all of the old world should just be dated as "origin date lost to antiquity" since that's ultimately going to hold just about everywhere.

i also hate the color scheme. who gives a poo poo about what sector its in, i wanna be able to see who has the oldest corp at a glance, nobody wants to zoom in on his poo poo to read the tiny labels

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

At least according to Wikipedia it had a royal charter, which is a bit more substantial than just any old family farm.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Why are a Dominica newspaper and Mongolian broadcaster "Services and Distribution" instead of "Knowledge and Information?"
Meanwhile, under Knowledge and Information are Cotontchad "a parastatal Chadian company operating in a monopoly regime that buys and exports all the cotton produced in Chad." and Cameroon Development Corporation "an agro-industrial complex that grows, processes and markets tropical export crops."

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Also, Chad changes color in the inset. It's green on the main map, but on the zoomed view it's blue.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Why are a Dominica newspaper and Mongolian broadcaster "Services and Distribution" instead of "Knowledge and Information?"
Meanwhile, under Knowledge and Information are Cotontchad "a parastatal Chadian company operating in a monopoly regime that buys and exports all the cotton produced in Chad." and Cameroon Development Corporation "an agro-industrial complex that grows, processes and markets tropical export crops."
Also a pharmacy, which ought to be services unless we're calling any professional dispensary a knowledge industry.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PittTheElder posted:

:lol:

the circle seems to work, but I def got a chuckle out of how broken the polygon search is

Wow I appreciate that someone has tried to do this but yeah, I polygon selected my city of about 400k and it told me 1.8 million...

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Baronjutter posted:

Wow I appreciate that someone has tried to do this but yeah, I polygon selected my city of about 400k and it told me 1.8 million...

1.8 million seems to be the default for anywhere it doesn't have sufficient information for.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Can't find Mexico's

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ireland playing really hard into the stereotype by having a 1000+ year old pub.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

El Chingon posted:

Can't find Mexico's
or Kazakhstan

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

El Chingon posted:

Can't find Mexico's

It's probably La Casa de Moneda (the Mint), established 1535. Things that predate the actual country probably get tricky though.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

FreudianSlippers posted:

Ireland playing really hard into the stereotype by having a 1000+ year old pub.

and Belgium having a nearly 1000 year old brewery

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And Western Sahara having No Data.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

https://twitter.com/undertheraedar/status/1225471031873359875

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Just ran across this fine example of mapmaking on Wikipedia:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powered Descent posted:

Just ran across this fine example of mapmaking on Wikipedia:

I understand what they’re going for with Apollo 13, but it’s not in the key.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

My german cousin is bragging about being able to label all of the US properly, mostly, compared to how clueless north americans don't even know what a Latvia is, so while she is busy I defended our continental honour and one-upped her by not only labeling but drawing a Germany. Please judge harshly.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Missing Pomerania, Elsass, Austria, and Bohemia.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

It’s Schleswig and not Slesvig and Württemberg needs an additional t. Total failure of a map, get out! :reject:

fake edit: oh, I see that you put BAYERN in capitals and all the other states not, this is actually a drat fine map you should be proud of :v:

But seriously, this isn’t bad at all for a non-German, and I bet even plenty of Germans would fail hard at this

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Missing Pomerania, Elsass, Austria, and Bohemia.
It's really nice of you to leave Lothringen out of it. :france:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
How could you forget Bremen?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My german cousin is bragging about being able to label all of the US properly, mostly, compared to how clueless north americans don't even know what a Latvia is, so while she is busy I defended our continental honour and one-upped her by not only labeling but drawing a Germany. Please judge harshly.

I know this is SA and the law requires that we make fun of each other at all times, but that is really good, better than almost any non-German could have done, and probably better than most Germans.

e: certainly better than my attempt would have been, I know where Bavaria, Brandenburg, and Schleswig-Holstein are, but the rest is already getting into educated guesswork territory

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Feb 9, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nice. Now do the HRE.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

System Metternich posted:

It’s Schleswig and not Slesvig and Württemberg needs an additional t. Total failure of a map, get out! :reject:

fake edit: oh, I see that you put BAYERN in capitals and all the other states not, this is actually a drat fine map you should be proud of :v:

But seriously, this isn’t bad at all for a non-German, and I bet even plenty of Germans would fail hard at this

Slesvig is the correct Danish spelling however, so only partially wrong.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

RagnarokZ posted:

Pronounced Slöööör

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RagnarokZ posted:

Poltically-loaded, but 100% correct. Slesvig-Holstein should be an independent state with Synnejysk and Plattdeutsch as the official languages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Only three people have ever really understood the Schleswig-Holstein business; the Prince Consort, who is dead, a German professor, who has gone mad, and someone who probably posts ITT.