Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Brings back memories of how hunters could spring off walls in L4D 1. You could jump off a building diagonally and bounce off the wall in midair for extra distance, resulting in a really satisfying THUD when you landed on some poor bastard and chopped off half their health instantly.

You could keep that going indefinitely. Me and my boys got really good at flying between buildings at high speed like some demented batmen before destroying some dude who never even saw us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I just picked up Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, a sequel to the Wonder Boy series. It's like a very pretty love letter to the whole series with call backs and references and some returning characters. It is basically a 2D puzzle platformer Legend of Zelda Metroidvania, where in addition to the usual weapon and armor upgrades, you get various transformation skills to turn into different monster forms with different movement mechanics.

The game does have some flaws (The music, which contains remixes of classic tracks from the previous games, gets old quickly. In the older games levels were much shorter so songs would switch faster) but overall I'm really enjoying it.

One cute thing it does is during a boss fight. You are dropped into a pit with a ghost enemy who talks to you in music terms only ("Ti so la fa ti ti do?") If you don't respond, or do what he asks, he kicks you back a screen. The first time this happens, your companion says something like "wow, too bad we can't understand him." If you go searching around the area there are several books on stands that you can read to fulfill the puzzle, but it's not enough. If you go to the ghost again, you'll get kicked back a second time, but your companion will say "Hey, don't you have a setting in your options to help with this language barrier?". Now if you go into your options menu and go to your language settings, there is a new option to Translate Ghost Speak, and when you re-enter the arena, you can now understand what he is saying. It's meta but it's small and only the one time, so I'm kind of OK with it.

Similarly, going back almost 3 decades now, there was an X-men game on the Genesis. The general gist is you were stuck inside a computer simulation and had to fight your way out. One of the levels was on a timer (the only level in the game to do so). You had to complete the level before time ran out, or it was a total Game Over IIRC. Once you beat the level boss, you would get a garbled message from Professor X. As the timer neared the end, the message would clarify and he would shout at you to "Reset the system now!" What you had to do was physically hit the reset button the on Genesis itself, the screen would fill with matrix like green 1s and 0s before returning you to the main hub. Of course if you hit reset at any point before or after this point in the game, the system would just reset like normal and return you to the title screen.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

CzarChasm posted:

Similarly, going back almost 3 decades now, there was an X-men game on the Genesis. The general gist is you were stuck inside a computer simulation and had to fight your way out. One of the levels was on a timer (the only level in the game to do so). You had to complete the level before time ran out, or it was a total Game Over IIRC. Once you beat the level boss, you would get a garbled message from Professor X. As the timer neared the end, the message would clarify and he would shout at you to "Reset the system now!" What you had to do was physically hit the reset button the on Genesis itself, the screen would fill with matrix like green 1s and 0s before returning you to the main hub. Of course if you hit reset at any point before or after this point in the game, the system would just reset like normal and return you to the title screen.

Can't forget the Phantom Hourglass DS puzzle. You get locked into a room, and the only intractable thing is a big map. Interacting with it brings up the map on the topscreen and your map, drawn upside down, on the bottom screen, and your companion says "You should copy these details down!"

Oh did you think that mean use the built-in stylus to trace important map details like you have on every other map in the game? You fool. You simple moron. What you're actually supposed to do is Interact with the map so it's displayed on the top screen and yours is upside down on the bottom, and then you close the nintendo DS for a few seconds which transfers the information to your map, a mechanic only used a single time during the entire life cycle of the nintendo DS as far as I know. .

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Hotel Dusk did it first, and twice :smug:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hotel dusk had a similar gimmick for one of its puzzles iirc. I want to say I know another one that did the same thing, but it’s escaping me right now.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
In The World Ends With You, there's an enemy that can only be defeated by doing that.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Warbird posted:

Hotel dusk had a similar gimmick for one of its puzzles iirc. I want to say I know another one that did the same thing, but it’s escaping me right now.

Another Code: Two Memories maybe.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

CING sure loved exploiting the hardware's gimmicks - there's another puzzle in Hotel Dusk early on that required you to pull two switches at the same time. However, the DS has a resistive touchscreen and cannot track multitouch (multiple points of contact get averaged out). So what the game's actually tracking is if you made a single line in the middle :eng101:

Also, I cannot recommend Last Window enough if you missed it. Rarely does a game leave me in loving tears.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Olaf The Stout posted:

Can't forget the Phantom Hourglass DS puzzle. You get locked into a room, and the only intractable thing is a big map. Interacting with it brings up the map on the topscreen and your map, drawn upside down, on the bottom screen, and your companion says "You should copy these details down!"

Oh did you think that mean use the built-in stylus to trace important map details like you have on every other map in the game? You fool. You simple moron. What you're actually supposed to do is Interact with the map so it's displayed on the top screen and yours is upside down on the bottom, and then you close the nintendo DS for a few seconds which transfers the information to your map, a mechanic only used a single time during the entire life cycle of the nintendo DS as far as I know. .

I only figured that one out by dumb luck of running through the temple like 4 times hoping something might've gone wrong, getting frustrated and just closing my DS and going to do something else. Came back later and realized that I forgot to turn it off and the puzzle was solved and that one clicked in my head finally.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Olaf The Stout posted:

... how do you do it on a 2DS?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Necrothatcher posted:

I figured it would be by putting it into sleep mode, which is confirmed with some googling. Makes sense, it’s not like there’s a hinge sensor in the 3DS, it just knows it went into sleep mode.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Get another 2ds at that exact moment in the game and make them 69

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I figured it would be by putting it into sleep mode, which is confirmed with some googling. Makes sense, it’s not like there’s a hinge sensor in the 3DS, it just knows it went into sleep mode.

That's good that it's not just broken, but man..that's just another layer of confusion for a puzzle that was already too obtuse for me.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Holy poo poo, speak of the devil.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, honestly I've always hated those kind of meta puzzles. There's a well-defined set of valid inputs for games. Deciding to be clever and include something that's technically an input source but never used as such is a great way to frustrate players.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I mean, that's how you get Call of Duty 57: Now With One More Gun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, honestly I've always hated those kind of meta puzzles. There's a well-defined set of valid inputs for games. Deciding to be clever and include something that's technically an input source but never used as such is a great way to frustrate players.

Solid username/post combo for potential game devs

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fire Emblem: Three Houses

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Did Metal Gear Solid give codec hints for looking on the back of the box or for plugging your controller into slot two? When I got around to playing those games they were so iconic i got all that through hearsay.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

moosecow333 posted:

Did Metal Gear Solid give codec hints for looking on the back of the box or for plugging your controller into slot two? When I got around to playing those games they were so iconic i got all that through hearsay.

Not really for the box thing but most people figured it out from context. The controller thing not at all but that was also more of an Easter egg; it made things easier but wasn't necessary

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

I got super irritated by an ipad puzzler that required you to rotate the device for one single puzzle and nothing else. Completely stumped because I usually play ipad games with it flat on my desk.

If the general game UI involved wiggling the device sure, but the bits of this puzzle were the only thing in the game that reacted to device orientation and everything else was touchscreen interaction.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

moosecow333 posted:

They said to look in the back of the CD Case which was pretty terrible advice because at that point in the game you are carrying an item that's a CD and I would never figure to look into the back of my actual, irl cd case. I just went to the first frequency and started trying every single one. Luckily the right one is like, 20 or 30 so it didn't take long.

I only figured out what the hint meant years later after I read about it online.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If you keep calling Campbell during the Mantis fight, he outright tells you to switch your controller to port two. IIRC if you keep calling him after that, he assumes your second port is broken and the game pretends you switched ports

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC at some point in Startropics you were told to take a note your dad sent you and dip it in water to find a radio frequency. What they meant was to take a physical note that came with the game.

Hopefully you didn't accidentally throw it away or (more likely) rented/bought used an incomplete copy from a store.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Samuringa posted:

They said to look in the back of the CD Case which was pretty terrible advice because at that point in the game you are carrying an item that's a CD and I would never figure to look into the back of my actual, irl cd case. I just went to the first frequency and started trying every single one. Luckily the right one is like, 20 or 30 so it didn't take long.

I only figured out what the hint meant years later after I read about it online.

Mega obscure memory here, but I remember Blockbuster Video actually printed the codec frequency on the rental case, which was really nifty.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Necrothatcher posted:

Wouldn't even have been a question asked since the 2ds didn't come out for another 6ish years

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I missed Dragon's Dogma chat a few pages back, but I wanted to contribute. What sold me early on was being able to climb up giant enemies to stab at weak points. One of the early dungeons is a deep pit, with a ramp running along the walls from top to bottom.
Part way down, I got into a battle with a huge cyclops, so of course, I jumped on and went to stab its eye out. The cyclops got staggered by my pawn's attack, and fell over the edge of the ramp.
I had just enough time to think "well, guess I'm hosed now", as I was still clinging to it at the time, but nope! As we hit bottom, the cyclops absorbed the impact and died, and I found myself sitting pretty, having skipped the rest of the dungeon.

An anecdote I read from another goon in a previous DD thread had to do with teaching behaviour to your pawn. One of the neat things you could do was repeatedly demonstrate to your pawn a combat tactic, and hopefully, the pawn would pick up on it, and mimic your behaviour. So what this goon did, every fight they ran into, he would grab an enemy, and throw it from the closest high ledge. After much repetition, the pawn clued in, and for the rest of the game, the pawn would grab anything small enough to scoop up, and give it the old heave ho.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dewgy posted:

Mega obscure memory here, but I remember Blockbuster Video actually printed the codec frequency on the rental case, which was really nifty.

The Playstation Classic also uses a screenshot of Meryl's codec for the game's image on the back of the box (center of the pic), it's great that they remembered.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A funny Dev story for Shadow of the Tomb Raider from a video where the devs are reacting to a speedrun - the plane where she gets her first knife was initially underwater in the lake so that they could do their cool eel setpiece, but no playtesters found it so they had to put it in the tree and have the player watch it drop into the lake so they knew where it was. I thought that was funny.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Going to embed that one, because I loved the "Devs commentate on The Outer Worlds speedrun" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swBHSE3LIpo

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:30 on Feb 7, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Danaru posted:

If you keep calling Campbell during the Mantis fight, he outright tells you to switch your controller to port two. IIRC if you keep calling him after that, he assumes your second port is broken and the game pretends you switched ports

IIRC he tells you the alternate way which involves blowing up the music playing statues in the room to mess up Mantis's concentration.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zanzibar Ham posted:

IIRC at some point in Startropics you were told to take a note your dad sent you and dip it in water to find a radio frequency. What they meant was to take a physical note that came with the game.

Hopefully you didn't accidentally throw it away or (more likely) rented/bought used an incomplete copy from a store.

Feelies are awesome, ones that acted as late-game copy protection less so. I miss games coming with cloth maps and whatnot as the default instead of as a collector's edition thing.

This is why motion controls didn't really catch on, I think, there was too much ambiguity and you can't be sure you're doing it wrong, or if you're just straight up doing the wrong thing. It's a bit different in VR with the higher fidelty and increased tutorialization, but it was a nightmare on something like the Wii. What's crazy about the X-Men and DS examples, though, is they're using the power settings as an input. That's basically the thing you've been conditioned to never mess with while you're playing a game, especially on the genesis where you have no reason to think it's going to do anything other than nuke your progress- the xmen thing relied on an obscure hardware trick that I didn't even know was possible on there until I read the explanation.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Feelies are awesome, ones that acted as late-game copy protection less so. I miss games coming with cloth maps and whatnot as the default instead of as a collector's edition thing.

This is why motion controls didn't really catch on, I think, there was too much ambiguity and you can't be sure you're doing it wrong, or if you're just straight up doing the wrong thing. It's a bit different in VR with the higher fidelty and increased tutorialization, but it was a nightmare on something like the Wii. What's crazy about the X-Men and DS examples, though, is they're using the power settings as an input. That's basically the thing you've been conditioned to never mess with while you're playing a game, especially on the genesis where you have no reason to think it's going to do anything other than nuke your progress- the xmen thing relied on an obscure hardware trick that I didn't even know was possible on there until I read the explanation.

A really "fun" fact about this game is you couldn't beat it on the mobile version of the Genesis, the Sega Nomad. Why? No reset button.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Playing Mad Max and really enjoying the photo mode. Was taking down a convoy that had a flamethrower truck amongst them. I blew up the fuel tank which launched the truck and I went to take a picture. As I was moving around the environment looking for the perfect shot, I zoomed in on the exploding truck and you can see the Warboy driver looking back at the explosion coming from the back. A real "OH SHIIII-" Moment!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
AC: Odyssey: I misjudged the range of my controlled arrow ability and instead of hitting my target in the head I shot him directly in the left rear end cheek :newlol:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of rear end cheeks, I've been playing CoD: Modern-er Warfare 2019, and the throwing knife equip item is still just as good as I remember it being back in the day. I have tossed so many knives directly into the kiesters of so many poor soldiers. It's great that it works just like it did in the original, where it's usually easier to wing it directly into the floor and bounce it into people than to throw it straight at them. Had to be an intentional choice.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

A funny Dev story for Shadow of the Tomb Raider from a video where the devs are reacting to a speedrun - the plane where she gets her first knife was initially underwater in the lake so that they could do their cool eel setpiece, but no playtesters found it so they had to put it in the tree and have the player watch it drop into the lake so they knew where it was. I thought that was funny.

If I recall right, if you turn on dev commentary in Portal, they talk some about the difficulties they had getting players to look up, which I found amusing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

PYF rear end cheeks in games

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Hygiene posted:

PYF rear end cheeks in games

Have you ever wanted to see Norman Reedus' butt whenever you darn well please? My avatar has got good news for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Have you ever wanted to see Norman Reedus' butt whenever you darn well please? My avatar has got good news for you.

I appreciated Norman Reedus Shower Simulator 2019 in a lot of ways, but sadly tapped out around the halfway point :smith: