Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Lker posted:

through google i came across this

the article which focuses on the play Exposed back in 2007, also mentions that there was an art exhibit at the Pickle Company with the same name, Exposed: A Large-Scale Mixed-Media Exhibition Exploring the Legacy of Nuclear Testing in the same time frame. details about the exhibit itself or the Pickle Company is pretty much gone and seems like the building itself was sold and then forgotten. this is the only thing that came up with google, and it has a list of artists who worked on the exhibit. hope that helps

OMFG (where the G stands for Goon)

Yes, it was the "Exposed" exhibit! And the artist was Jim Frazer. I knew he had a fairly common name like Jim or John or Jeff, which wasn't helping me at all.

Not the piece I contributed to, but an idea of what his installation work looks like:

He somehow heard my stuff and thought my brand of creepy ambient music would make a nice "soundtrack". I made a two-minute piece that seamlessly looped and was played thru hidden speakers. I've been dying to hear it again, but backed it up to a CD which is lord knows where. Hoping he might still have it. Plus I'm trying gussy up my CV to apply for art grants (I make visual art too) and wanted to be able to list that as an exhibit which I kinda-sorta-technically was in.

Thank you Lker, as well as the other goons with helpful suggestions! The internet indeed makes you stupid, but sometimes it's a fuckin' miracle.

(also check out Jim's work, it's super dope if you like science + art)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This thread is great, imo. If I ever find that one apartment building, I'll be sure to let everybody know.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Milo and POTUS posted:

This thread is great, imo. If I ever find that one apartment building, I'll be sure to let everybody know.

Agreed. This is probably one of my favorite GBS threads in quite a while, given it's not only Goons helping each other out, but it leads to funky rabbit holes about all sorts of things, like that art installation.

WW content: a computer game I played one time at a relative's house as a kid, would've been 2006-07 at the latest. It was 3D and the only memory I clearly have is that you were a red toy robot flying an airplane above a plain, black-outline map of the United States. Would love to know if it was a fever dream or actually real.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
There was a series of prank calls i listened to easily 20 years ago now where the "punchline" was always the caller screaming that they were "alone! In a room! With a gun!" which always confused the people they were calling since it sounded like a threat but really wasn't.

Definitely wasn't Longmont Potion Castle or the Jerky Boys or any other famous prank callers

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Every so often I think of this movie where a dude saves some eggs of a rare bird that nested in a city building. This somehow leads to him hosting a group of guys from a tribe who have some connection to the birds. I think none of them speak English and they have a female interpreter. One scene sticks in my mind: he’s serving them dinner and then finds out that they don’t believe in eating meat yet ate the fish they were served as being grateful to their hosts is a more important belief to them.

I have no idea what it was called or who was in it, so searches have come up with nothing. Pretty sure it was made in the 80s or 90s.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Doctor Eckhart posted:

Every so often I think of this movie where a dude saves some eggs of a rare bird that nested in a city building. This somehow leads to him hosting a group of guys from a tribe who have some connection to the birds. I think none of them speak English and they have a female interpreter. One scene sticks in my mind: he’s serving them dinner and then finds out that they don’t believe in eating meat yet ate the fish they were served as being grateful to their hosts is a more important belief to them.

I have no idea what it was called or who was in it, so searches have come up with nothing. Pretty sure it was made in the 80s or 90s.

Is it a live action movie or a cartoon?
Is it set in the united states?

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

limaCAT posted:

Is it a live action movie or a cartoon?
Is it set in the united states?

It’s live action and yeah set in the US.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Doctor Eckhart posted:

Any chance this is Jungle 2 Jungle, maybe blurred a little through the lens of time?
(Probably not, so I'm still searching!)

Like, kid climbs statue of liberty to retrieve its fire for the tribe, he does cook and eat the family fish, his mom has to translate what he says in native tongue, etc. :shrug:

Oh wait, is it a white dude that saves the egg, then tribal dudes show up later?

E: gently caress this is hard to search for! I can't even find any giant lists of movies where indigenous people visit the big city, even though that seems like a really common trope...

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 6, 2020

Richter Scabies
Dec 30, 2012

There was a "family matters"-like all-black family sitcom (maybe the Steve Harvey show?) I caught one lazy Sunday. Two of the characters (sisters or friends) were at some kind of function making Christmas (I think?) decorations for their school, and they were assigned to make little snow penguins out of toothpicks and styrofoam balls. One of the friends made theirs like normal but the other just kept adding extra heads/feet/eye/beaks/foam balls to her penguin and called it a penguot. I distinctly remember her making it prance around as she went "penguot, penguot, penguot". Any ideas?

Doctor Eckhart
Dec 23, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Any chance this is Jungle 2 Jungle, maybe blurred a little through the lens of time?
(Probably not, so I'm still searching!)

Like, kid climbs statue of liberty to retrieve its fire for the tribe, he does cook and eat the family fish, his mom has to translate what he says in native tongue, etc. :shrug:

Oh wait, is it a white dude that saves the egg, then tribal dudes show up later?

E: gently caress this is hard to search for! I can't even find any giant lists of movies where indigenous people visit the big city, even though that seems like a really common trope...

Nope, definitely not Jungle2Jungle. Yeah I think it was a dark haired white guy as the main character and a brown haired white woman as the interpreter. Thought it could have been Jeff Goldblum but I went through all of his films and none of them are it.

Good call on tropes, there’s a whole section on indigenous people on tvtropes but no luck there either. I guess the tribe could have been from elsewhere or even a fictional place? I only really remember the language barrier/eating meat part.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Just a heads up in case y'all don't know: CineD has a dedicated thread called "Identify This Movie for Me" for all your film white whales. And those guys are good, like spooky good. Might wanna try cross-posting over there! It's stickied, so easy to find if you wanna click on over there.

edit: heck I'll post their white whale, apparently it's a mystery spanning ten years that no one has answered:

quote:

The scene I remember is some cop, a Brian Dennehey type, pulls over a couple driving a classic car. The guy driving says he did all the work on it himself. Eventually, the cop makes the guy get some grease from the car (saying "I thought you kept this car cherry, boy?") and uses it to rape the girlfriend. During, he tells the guy he can turn around, and if the gun is not pointed at him, they can go, but if it is, he will kill them both. The guy doesn't turn around (the gun is not pointed at him).

The next day or something, the couple confronts the cop at some diner.

It is not Bad Lieutenant Port of Call or Stephen King's Desperation

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 6, 2020

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I still use Pandora sometimes (for the explicit lyrics toggle at school and in the car with my own 5yos) and recently I've heard this odd version of Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun by the Beastie Boys. I have copies of the original Paul's Boutique and the 20th anniversary as well as their video set and they're all the same version with guitars. This version has a very stripped down sound and while the vocals are the same, it has a much mellower sound.

So today we had a snow day and I'm eating lunch with my kids when it starts playing on the Echo in the kitchen. I grabbed my phone and used the voice recorder and the quality is poo poo, but I'm curious if anyone knows where this version comes from. The time it played on my phone, Pandora displayed the regular cover for Paul's Boutique and I can't find this version on YouTube, Spotify, etc.

This isn't the first time Pandora has played weird things while displaying the original album cover like a version of Green Day's Brain Stew I heard a few times that for some reason had random elephant sounds through the song....

Anyways, here is the clip from lunch time today. Does anyone know where this version comes from?
https://voca.ro/myyWr7JjVSA

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Sir Not Appearing posted:

I still use Pandora sometimes (for the explicit lyrics toggle at school and in the car with my own 5yos) and recently I've heard this odd version of Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun by the Beastie Boys. I have copies of the original Paul's Boutique and the 20th anniversary as well as their video set and they're all the same version with guitars. This version has a very stripped down sound and while the vocals are the same, it has a much mellower sound.

So today we had a snow day and I'm eating lunch with my kids when it starts playing on the Echo in the kitchen. I grabbed my phone and used the voice recorder and the quality is poo poo, but I'm curious if anyone knows where this version comes from. The time it played on my phone, Pandora displayed the regular cover for Paul's Boutique and I can't find this version on YouTube, Spotify, etc.

This isn't the first time Pandora has played weird things while displaying the original album cover like a version of Green Day's Brain Stew I heard a few times that for some reason had random elephant sounds through the song....

Anyways, here is the clip from lunch time today. Does anyone know where this version comes from?
https://voca.ro/myyWr7JjVSA

I can't listen to anything right now because my husband's napping before he goes to work, but any chance it's from this Criterion collection of remixes?

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/beastie-boys-drop-additional-digital-remix-eps/

(Also I'm looking forward to hearing this, I fuckin' love that song)

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I can solve that mystery for you, it's the Godzilla soundtrack version:
https://youtu.be/AgEPJRWfP7c

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I can't listen to anything right now because my husband's napping before he goes to work, but any chance it's from this Criterion collection of remixes?

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/beastie-boys-drop-additional-digital-remix-eps/

(Also I'm looking forward to hearing this, I fuckin' love that song)

Thanks! I didn't realize that Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun EP existed. I listened real quick and it's the DJ Moe Love remix that Pandora has been playing.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Lmao I cant believe they have that on rotation on Pandora

e: the Godzilla green day song

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Jenny Agutter posted:

Yeah, and like the Beastie Boys song, they don't bother showing the correct album art so it's really confusing when you hear odd mixes that don't match the original album version of the song.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jenny Agutter posted:

They're always playing weird versions of stuff, I think it must be cheaper for them. They drive me insane with that poo poo, if you listen to a Johnny Cash station on there half of it is the Walk the Line soundtrack being sung by Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Thanks! I didn't realize that Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun EP existed. I listened real quick and it's the DJ Moe Love remix that Pandora has been playing.

You're most welcome! I actually didn't know about that EP either, so I'm hardcore digging on this. Win win!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Okay, I'm sorry for double posting but ---

So I knew the guy's name. Found his website. Website had absolutely no contact info on it. Thanks to Lker's detective work, I sent an email to the dude running 15 Bytes, essentially saying "hey I wanna get in touch with this guy, do you have an email or could you fwd this email to him?"

Just got a reply from Jim. And he has the track still, and is happy to hear from me (I used to have my own website but financial circumstances led me to drop it years ago). He also said "huh, you're right, I don't have an email link on my site, I oughtta fix that." He wants to hear any new work and maybe work together again.

Holy loving jiminy christmas goons, thank you so much, I'm like nearly in tears. I'm a starving artist and trying my best to get my art and music "careers" off the ground, and I can't say how much this means to me. Mods, please give a free upgrade to Lker if they want one? I'll pay you back when I'm rich and famous (so, like, never, but I thought I'd offer)

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
yeah yeah that's nice and all but can someone help me find this loving Janeen Garofoalo short from 1994 in the drat OP

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

yeah yeah that's nice and all but can someone help me find this loving Janeen Garofoalo short from 1994 in the drat OP

e: NVM, Exposure came a bunch later so this wouldn't be part of it...

e2: Wait, yes! It was shown as part of Exposure! That makes another option for tracking it down, though it is VERY hard to find Exposure, as well. There have been a few other Sci Fi shorts I've been wanting to re-watch from that...

e3: PM'd you

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 6, 2020

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Riptor posted:

There was a series of prank calls i listened to easily 20 years ago now where the "punchline" was always the caller screaming that they were "alone! In a room! With a gun!" which always confused the people they were calling since it sounded like a threat but really wasn't.

Definitely wasn't Longmont Potion Castle or the Jerky Boys or any other famous prank callers

Sounds like early prankNET stuff. Honestly, they were total jerks. Funny as gently caress, but total jerks.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Teketeketeketeke posted:

e: NVM, Exposure came a bunch later so this wouldn't be part of it...

e2: Wait, yes! It was shown as part of Exposure! That makes another option for tracking it down, though it is VERY hard to find Exposure, as well. There have been a few other Sci Fi shorts I've been wanting to re-watch from that...

e3: PM'd you

Hoping the "PM'd you" edit means you found some :files: , but my husband and I have been digging around, too. Michael Rooker (aka Merle from Walking Dead) is in it, too. I found a link to a youtube on some 2011 website going that avenue, but alas, "this video is unavailable".

I'm trying, OP.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Now that I think about, I actually have seen this film, if it's the one that features an axe murderer in the back of her car , as part of Exposure, airing circa 2000-2002 or whenever Exposure actually existed... Ugh - this is sort of turning into a white whale for me, too!

-----

gently caress IT, here's a personal white whale short horror film I remember from Exposure that could have aired with Suspicious for all I know:

This dude wakes up, trapped in a locked room with only a chair and a TV. As he watches, the TV plays a message to him, telling him that there's a bomb that will explode unless he manages to find a key and escape the room. The catch is, the key is hidden in one of many egg-like containers that have been crudely surgically implanted under his skin. So, he starts cutting them out, blood spewing everywhere. Hell, maybe the bomb is implanted in his body, but will be de-activated if he escapes? I don't even remember how it ends; maybe it was some hosed-up revenge scenario where the guy deserves to die anyway or whatever, but I doubt he makes it out alive.
It's basically Saw style torture/body horror before Saw.

-----

I think OP and I basically need somebody to hail mary and rip a VHS they taped off of cable from this. Exposure is basically impossible to find, and probably impossible for Syfy to air/release again even if there was demand, as there'd be all sorts of rights to navigate (all kinds of weird early/obscure stuff by George Lucas, Tim Burton, Kevin Smith, etc.)

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 7, 2020

Lker
Oct 26, 2010

Okay, I'm sorry for double posting but ---

So I knew the guy's name. Found his website. Website had absolutely no contact info on it. Thanks to Lker's detective work, I sent an email to the dude running 15 Bytes, essentially saying "hey I wanna get in touch with this guy, do you have an email or could you fwd this email to him?"

Just got a reply from Jim. And he has the track still, and is happy to hear from me (I used to have my own website but financial circumstances led me to drop it years ago). He also said "huh, you're right, I don't have an email link on my site, I oughtta fix that." He wants to hear any new work and maybe work together again.

Holy loving jiminy christmas goons, thank you so much, I'm like nearly in tears. I'm a starving artist and trying my best to get my art and music "careers" off the ground, and I can't say how much this means to me. Mods, please give a free upgrade to Lker if they want one? I'll pay you back when I'm rich and famous (so, like, never, but I thought I'd offer)
Glad to hear. I'll add that it was sorta hard to find, but there already isn't a whole lot of art exhibits with that particular subject and having a timeframe really narrowed things down on my end.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
An animated (I think) TV show made a reference to the whip stir segment from the Star Wars holiday special. Maybe Archer, maybe Venture bros. Maybe not!

An also animated show (and I think a Macfarlane one at that) taking potshots at the South Park guys. Straight up saying Trey was the real talent and Stone the hanger on.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
A long, long time ago I found a horrible screenplay called “Lu & Sambo, or; How I learned Stop Worrying and Love Slavery”, or something like that. It was about two American slaves who were put into suspended animation and woke up in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. I KNOW this screenplay exists, I loving read it.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Nigmaetcetera posted:

A long, long time ago I found a horrible screenplay called “Lu & Sambo, or; How I learned Stop Worrying and Love Slavery”, or something like that. It was about two American slaves who were put into suspended animation and woke up in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. I KNOW this screenplay exists, I loving read it.

Any other relevant details to go on? I'm thinking it might be good to know...
Billed specifically as a screenplay, or could it have also been intended as a drama script?
Was this digital or physical? Circa 90s/2000s? Did you read this for college or like at a film studio or in some other context?
I assume it was never filmed, to the best of your knowledge, right?

Here's an archive listing various screenplays written by AA authors put together at Indiana U. Not sure if these were all actually made into films or whatever.
http://www.indiana.edu/~liblilly/shorttitle/aafilm.html
Maybe something will jump out at you?

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 7, 2020

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Teketeketeketeke posted:

gently caress IT, here's a personal white whale short horror film I remember from Exposure that could have aired with Suspicious for all I know:

This dude wakes up, trapped in a locked room with only a chair and a TV. As he watches, the TV plays a message to him, telling him that there's a bomb that will explode unless he manages to find a key and escape the room. The catch is, the key is hidden in one of many egg-like containers that have been crudely surgically implanted under his skin. So, he starts cutting them out, blood spewing everywhere. Hell, maybe the bomb is implanted in his body, but will be de-activated if he escapes? I don't even remember how it ends; maybe it was some hosed-up revenge scenario where the guy deserves to die anyway or whatever, but I doubt he makes it out alive.

It's basically Saw style torture/body horror before Saw.

And for anybody who wants to see it:
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsbpic

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 7, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A comedy (I think) bit where aliens are taking over a small town (or something) and you can tell they're aliens because they have no nostrils (or something) and a guy drives off from the cafe (or something) and is relieved to come across a cop until he sees the cop has no nostrils. Or maybe he looks in the rear view mirror and sees he himself has no nostrils.

E: heck maybe both

Seen in 80s or 90s, probably American.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Just a heads up in case y'all don't know: CineD has a dedicated thread called "Identify This Movie for Me" for all your film white whales. And those guys are good, like spooky good. Might wanna try cross-posting over there! It's stickied, so easy to find if you wanna click on over there.

edit: heck I'll post their white whale, apparently it's a mystery spanning ten years that no one has answered:

I remember that scene and I spent last night trying to find it but with no result.

On the other hand I will try to direct my movie queries there even if I have to add a small detail to one of them.

limaCAT posted:

Movie number one: I remember a small clip of a movie where a man with moustache just accelerates his car and crashes into a wall. I think this scene was part of the trailer and I think he also breaks a toll booth so he must be on a highway. Maybe it was a german movie? I saw that trailer in early 80's.

The scenes I remember were at night.
I don't think it is Road Games (1981) with Stacy Keach (I remember the character was driving a left-hand-drive car like in the civilized world), but the actor looks like Stacy Keach with a bonnet cap.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I a music video I saw in my graphics programming class. It was a non-english computer generated or assisted music video about a girl playing in a field. At the end of the video, she walks off to reveal the entire thing is just a set and the next kid is queued up to run through it. I think it was in French or something.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The Day the Clown Cried

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I've got a really difficult one, but this thread has been doing some amazing work, so I'm going for it.

I'm looking for a play, and I have no idea what it's called or what it was about. I'm pretty sure it was actually a published work and not someone's original manuscript, because the small chunk of it I found and read appeared to have been photocopied from a published script.

Anyway. Here's what I remember: the stage directions calling for a changing array of colored lights on the two actors, like solid red changing to blue and etc etc. The two actors are meant to be the President (or some other similarly high-ranking official) and a general (or again, some high-ranking military personnel). They're talking about using biological or chemical warfare. At various points through their conversation, pieces of their bodies fall off.

This is literally something I read once, found lying around in a classroom while I was waiting to be picked up from school. I didn't keep it because it wasn't mine, and I really (obviously) remember the mental image of that scene created by having read it more than I do its actual contents.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

I've got a really difficult one, but this thread has been doing some amazing work, so I'm going for it.

I'm looking for a play, and I have no idea what it's called or what it was about. I'm pretty sure it was actually a published work and not someone's original manuscript, because the small chunk of it I found and read appeared to have been photocopied from a published script.

Anyway. Here's what I remember: the stage directions calling for a changing array of colored lights on the two actors, like solid red changing to blue and etc etc. The two actors are meant to be the President (or some other similarly high-ranking official) and a general (or again, some high-ranking military personnel). They're talking about using biological or chemical warfare. At various points through their conversation, pieces of their bodies fall off.

This is literally something I read once, found lying around in a classroom while I was waiting to be picked up from school. I didn't keep it because it wasn't mine, and I really (obviously) remember the mental image of that scene created by having read it more than I do its actual contents.

I have 2 possibilities...

First, the stronger case:
Square Rounds by Tony Harrison, ~30+ yrs old
This one is a weird post-modern take on the history of weapons like machine guns and chemicals. A lot of it is basically scientists, inventors, and generals discussing the creations. I can't find a full text version yet, but there are tons of reviews from when it was popular in the early 90s. Many reviewers comment on the wild setpieces, with crazy lighting, pyrotechnics, costumes, etc. This fits the vivid mental scenery you recall.

2nd possibility:
Poison Gas by Norman Anglin, 1928
This one was written by a guy with tons of WWI knowledge. The basic setup is that there's an arms-dealer on an airtight yacht discussing weapons and war, and eventually gets pissed off and debates gassing everybody else. (I think the ending is basically WW2 happening)

I'm still working on finding out more info on the two...

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 7, 2020

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Square Rounds by Tony Harrison, ~30+ yrs old
This one is a weird post-modern take on the history of weapons like machine guns and chemicals. A lot of it is basically scientists, inventors, and generals discussing the creations. I can't find a full text version yet, but there are tons of reviews from when it was popular in the early 90s. Many reviewers comment on the wild setpieces, with crazy lighting, pyrotechnics, costumes, etc. This fits the vivid mental scenery you recall.

This sounds really fascinating, but I think I can, unfortunately, rule it out - it's just a year too old. It was first performed in 1992 and the script was published in 1993, and I think I came across this scrap in 1990, 1991 at the absolute latest.

quote:

Poison Gas by Norman Anglin, 1928
This one was written by a guy with tons of WWI knowledge. The basic setup is that there's an arms-dealer on an airtight yacht discussing weapons and war, and eventually gets pissed off and debates gassing everybody else. (I think the ending is basically WW2 happening)

Now this has some promise:

(copied from Science-fiction, the Early Years: A Full Description of More Than 3,000 Science-fiction Stories from Earliest Times to the Appearance of the Genre Magazines in 1930 : with Author, Title, and Motif Indexes [1990])

Sounds strange as hell, especially for its time. The only sticking point I can think of is that the script appears to have been printed exactly once - I couldn't find any mention of reprints or anthologizing on Worldcat - in London in 1928. How a photocopy of that would have made its way to a small Texas town in the early 90s, I have no idea, but anything is possible.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

Hoping the "PM'd you" edit means you found some :files: , but my husband and I have been digging around, too. Michael Rooker (aka Merle from Walking Dead) is in it, too. I found a link to a youtube on some 2011 website going that avenue, but alas, "this video is unavailable".

I'm trying, OP.

Unfortunately no, the OP didn't find it :(

It sucks so much more knowing it was once uploaded to YouTube but is now gone (and wasn't even taken down for copyright reasons or anything).

This sucks.

I think more likely than someone hoping someone has a VHS copy of it would be hoping some digital packrat kept the YouTube rip on their hard drive or something. Or maybe someone knowing the director and them being cool and re-uploading it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

OK, so, inspired by Teketeketeketeke's findings, I did some more digging into Worldcat; specifically, I was looking for plays published before 1991 that had to do with war in some way, sorted by most recent first. Turns out that (a) there were a lot of plays written about nuclear war in the 1980s, big surprise, and (b) I might have found my mystery play. If this is actually it, I have misremembered a lot (which, again, big surprise), but it seems to fit in a dreamlike sort of way.

A review of a production of Arthur Kopit's "End of the World" (1984) contained this passage, which set some bells ringing:

quote:

Act II plunges protagonist and spectator into a succession of Washington conversations in which Trent attempts to identify and comprehend the rationale for prevailing nuclear policy.

In the process, he encounters a series of dizzying and often hilarious rationalizations as expressed by his government sources. They include a Pentagon general, a Soviet specialist, two think-tank types who rattle off their spiels as they stuff Cookin' Good chickens for a gourmet lunch, and a shadowy figure who finally keeps a promised rendezvous.

Trent hears things like: ''A bluff taken seriously is much more serious than a serious threat taken as a bluff. . . . We have to learn how to wage nuclear war rationally. . . . What you have to do is out-preempt them. . . .''

And it's on archive.org!

This feels pretty familiar, although of course I have no way of knowing for sure. I'm not calling it solved until I do some more looking but damned if this isn't close, and Kopit is a well-known enough playwright for this to have been accessible in a school/public library in 1990.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Double-posting: it could also possibly be "Final Orders" (1983) by Jean Claude Van Itallie.

This has two characters actively discussing using weapons against a civilian population, mentions of colors (and colored lights), nervous physicality and a sense of claustrophobia. If this isn't it, I have completely lost my drat mind.

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 7, 2020