Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
This is starting to get alarming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spinz posted:

More like A la Xi Jinping

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Remember like 3 weeks ago when we worried trump might nuke Iran over twiter memes or whatever the gently caress. And now this, lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Rad-daddio posted:

This is 2020, the exchange rate for human souls to godly intervention is way more than that.

maybe i can kill a million people, accumulate their souls inside of mine, THEN sacrifice myself. hey it could work, I feel like at this point we should leave all our options open

Sjs00 posted:

Order several things from the Chinese province most likely to have infected workers? Wuhan is it?

rawmeatonline.cn/wuhan

tell them i sent you

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

if i get sick right now, then get better, can i fly to china and start moving in on empty corners????

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

numberoneposter posted:

if i get sick right now, then get better, can i fly to china and start moving in on empty corners????

sell your immune blood to TCM practitioners and make millions

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

this avatar makes me laugh every time

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
question. when this hits america, will there be any sort of concession made for the hundreds of people who need icu care and can't afford it? or will we see poor patients turned away from hospitals to die, with anybody who manages to get onto a ventilator surviving to be bankrupted and in debt for several generations?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Yes, if you elect Bernie.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

hallelujah posted:

question. when this hits america, will there be any sort of concession made for the hundreds of people who need icu care and can't afford it? or will we see poor patients turned away from hospitals to die, with anybody who manages to get onto a ventilator surviving to be bankrupted and in debt for several generations?

Or will Canada close its borders to keep freeloaders out?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

hallelujah posted:

At first people without the ability to afford it will just get bankrupted, later ventilator spots will be prioritized for people with the ability to pay. The insurance industry will rake in a ton of profit, or alternatively will go bankrupt and get bailed out by the government, while conservatives everywhere praise the free market for efficiently allocating limited ICU resources to only the rich and powerful.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hallelujah posted:

Emergency rooms cannot turn people with acute medical needs away in the United States

People will claim I am wrong and fail to provide evidence except for maybe one time one thing happened in one place where someone said something and it looked bad. But anyway, on reality planet, they will be admitted and billed later, often with the expectation and the knowledge that it will never be repaid

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
On election day all the cities will be placed under quarantine, with no-one allowed to head to the polls to avoid the risk of infection. Rural polls will still be open.

This will happen even if the outbreak has been totally dealt with by then.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Here’s Nintendo apologising for the coronavirus loving up their production cycle

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/1225307909510193152

Translation posted:

[Nintendo HP] "Influence of New Coronavirus Infection on Production and Shipment of Nintendo Switch and Other Products (Apology)" is posted.

===

Thank you very much for your patronage of our products.

Due to the current outbreak of the new coronavirus infection, it is expected that production and shipment delays will be inevitable for peripheral devices such as the Nintendo Switch and Joy-Con produced in China for the Japanese market. Was. Similarly, shipments of the currently out-of-stock "Ring Fit Adventure" are expected to be delayed.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We will work hard to deliver the product as soon as possible, while keeping an eye on the effects of the new coronavirus infection, and we look forward to your understanding.

Chrs fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 7, 2020

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Legit Question: Why is it called 2019-nCov, and not 2020-nCov, is that an acknowledgement that the 2019 reports by the admonished doctors in China were actually correct?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Fooma posted:

Legit Question: Why is it called 2019-nCov, and not 2020-nCov, is that an acknowledgement that the 2019 reports by the admonished doctors in China were actually correct?

I believe WHO named it, not China. By the time that designation was made, the timeline of late Nov / early December was established already.

So, yes, but not done as a political statement just as a matter of WHO protocol

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Fooma posted:

The strain was first isolated in a lab in late 2019.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

But but but one of the major causes of the Renaissance was the population shortage after the black death.

Looking forward to explosion of remote collaboration/driverless technologies after 2020.

there would still just be dumbass dinosaurs farting around across the earth if not for chicxulub

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

poverty goat posted:

there would still just be dumbass dinosaurs farting around across the earth if not for chicxulub

I have bad news for you.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

i am harry posted:

Yes, if you elect Bernie.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just read that United Airlines and American Airlines are no longer doing flights to HK.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
https://v.redd.it/4dgyrywqzcf41

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
CDC apparently has decided to not share specific confirmed case numbers per state. Only yes/no and total confirmed cases for all states.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-in-us.html

Incubation seems to be 2-14 days and generally two weeks of symptoms before the Really Bad complications start to creep in.

Airports can’t even catch carriers when they’re actively screening due to non symptomatic incubation.

Wuhan appears to have begun forcibly rounding up anyone suspected of being sick and placing them in quarantines.

https://streamable.com/662od

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/world/asia/coronavirus-china.html#link-3cb0be85

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Just read that United Airlines and American Airlines are no longer doing flights to HK.

RU ok commando?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Edit: double post

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

MarcusSA posted:

Seems like a couple Hong Kong based airlines are shutting down too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Golli posted:

RU ok commando?

100% ok!

I may not be able to get home but there are worse places to be stuck.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
41 new cases on the ship

That's 61 / 273 people tested confirmed to be carrying the virus

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
so has it been determined how it started? in the example of it just being a mutation of the flu (which is probably unlikely) would other areas besides china have a chance of mutating in a similar fashion?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

so has it been determined how it started? in the example of it just being a mutation of the flu (which is probably unlikely) would other areas besides china have a chance of mutating in a similar fashion?
Coronavirus naturally lives in a few animals, such as camels and bats. At some point, someone came in close contact with one of those animals, or maybe their poo poo, and caught the virus. Humanity has inherited a lot of viruses when they jumped over from an animal host.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

iirc it's similar to a strain of coronavirus found in bats, and since most of the early infections involved people shopping or working at a specific wet market in Wuhan that sells a variety of exotic wild meats, including bats, it's believed that that's where the earliest infections began. Not all of the early known infections were related to that market but it's likely that some of the earliest patients also didn't develop serious symptoms and wound up spreading it to others. It's also possible that someone became infected in another way and just happened to visit that market and started spreading it around, there's no way to really know

It's relatively stable but like any virus it can mutate, which is how it jumped from other animals to humans in the first place, and there's definitely a chance of it mutating further on some unknown time scale

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Bob Socko posted:

Coronavirus naturally lives in a few animals, such as camels and bats. At some point, someone came in close contact with one of those animals, or maybe their poo poo, and caught the virus. Humanity has inherited a lot of viruses when they jumped over from an animal host.

Putting medium or rare meat through your throat or touching your face while preparing your exotic food is the other way I understand.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rat posted:

41 new cases on the ship

That's 61 / 273 people tested confirmed to be carrying the virus

I wonder how many of the passengers got off the boat and toured Japan before the ship got locked down?

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

What Bob Socko said. This book is a very digestible while not totally dumbed-down intro to zoonosis and epidemiology if you're interested in learning more: https://smile.amazon.com/Spillover-Animal-Infections-Human-Pandemic/dp/0393066800/

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Putting medium or rare meat through your throat or touching your face while preparing your exotic food is the other way I understand.

Patient 0 was a stall worker, so probably cut themselves or didnt wash their hands

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Despera posted:

Patient 0 was a stall worker, so probably cut themselves or didnt wash their hands

The patient 0 we know about never even went to the Wuhan market though

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Spinz posted:

it was alarming weeks ago, but the people who were alarmed were told that they were insane

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug
Apart from that worrying WHO video (50K infections a day!), the news from Singapore really suggests pandemic. One infection with no known contact to China or other patients, and a Brit who traveled from Singapore was diagnosed as well.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ma i married a tuna posted:

Apart from that worrying WHO video (50K infections a day!), the news from Singapore really suggests pandemic. One infection with no known contact to China or other patients, and a Brit who traveled from Singapore was diagnosed as well.

Which video was this!? :catstare:

The Chinese government only reported 3,100ish cases today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Charlz Guybon posted:

I wonder how many of the passengers got off the boat and toured Japan before the ship got locked down?

None. The boat never docked. The guy who originally infected the boat was in Tokyo a couple of weeks ago though.