Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I'm trying to copy a section of files from one hard drive to another as a limited backup:

HDD1:

/photos/01 Carl/
- raw/
- products/
- exports/
/photos/02 Brenda/
- raw/
- products/
- exports/
/photos/03 Dirk/
- raw/
- products/
- exports/

...copying just the /exports folders to a new drive:

HDD2:

/backup/photos/01 Carl/
- exports/
/backup/photos/02 Brenda/
- exports/
/backup/photos/03 Dirk/
- exports/

I have several hundred parent folders I want to copy the /exports folder of to a new location. Is there a good way to do this that doesn't involve creating each folder by hand and copying the exports folder or copying everything and then deleting the things I don't want in the new location?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Violator posted:

I'm trying to copy a section of files from one hard drive to another as a limited backup:

HDD1:

/photos/01 Carl/
- raw/
- products/
- exports/
/photos/02 Brenda/
- raw/
- products/
- exports/
/photos/03 Dirk/
- raw/
- products/
- exports/

...copying just the /exports folders to a new drive:

HDD2:

/backup/photos/01 Carl/
- exports/
/backup/photos/02 Brenda/
- exports/
/backup/photos/03 Dirk/
- exports/

I have several hundred parent folders I want to copy the /exports folder of to a new location. Is there a good way to do this that doesn't involve creating each folder by hand and copying the exports folder or copying everything and then deleting the things I don't want in the new location?

You could just use rsync for this.

code:
rsync -r source_folder target_path --exclude='raw' --exclude='products'

tuyop fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 6, 2020

Violator
May 15, 2003

tuyop posted:

You could just use rsync for this.

Yep, this is working perfectly. Thanks!

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.
Since it's seemed to have become a more noticeable issue lately, are the recommended blockers in the 1st post (Wipr and 1Blocker) still the go-to's for ad-blocking/etc? I've noticed it on both iOS and macOS and figured I'd see if either would be a good starting point, since it looks like Wipr's on both and 1Blocker is slightly more elusive on iOS.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

1blocker is the best one. Wipr doesn't support custom rules.

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Weedle posted:

1blocker is the best one. Wipr doesn't support custom rules.

Awesome, I'll go check it out in the App stores then. Does it happen to have a different name or version in iOS for some reason? When I've been trying to get it to pop up in the iOS store, it seems to only show an app called Legacy instead for some reason.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Seiyal posted:

Awesome, I'll go check it out in the App stores then. Does it happen to have a different name or version in iOS for some reason? When I've been trying to get it to pop up in the iOS store, it seems to only show an app called Legacy instead for some reason.

No, it's just called "1Blocker" and it's the first result I see when I search for that. Are you on iOS 13?

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

Weedle posted:

No, it's just called "1Blocker" and it's the first result I see when I search for that. Are you on iOS 13?

Ah no, that'd be why, I've got an SE so I ended up staying on 12 for the time being. (I probably should upgrade to 13 at some point here)

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I didn’t notice any performance issues after upgrading my SE to 13.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah the only thing you'll notice on 13 is all the bullshit UI stuff they broke.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I could never get 1Blocker or Wipr to work the way I needed them to. I got AdGuard Pro and it's been a breeze ever since.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

Yeah the only thing you'll notice on 13 is all the bullshit UI stuff they broke.

I would argue for the incredibly important emojis:

🦦🦥🦮🪐 and 🤏

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hello, I'm a Windows/Android guy trying to help my mom set up a giant family photo library on her iPhone/iPad/Mac. We've recently scanned something like 11,000 photos from albums and shoeboxes and desk drawers (using a service, not ourselves) and she's starting to worry about where she's going to keep them and how she can access them in iPhoto without running out of space on her phone. She loves the way everything syncs across her devices, but she doesn't like that she has to have them all on her phone all the time if she wants to play with them.

Maybe I'm missing something? I'm reading about the System Photo Library and how you can have other libraries but those won't be synced and also warnings about how Time Machine can corrupt poo poo if it's saving to the same external drive and how designating a new System Photo Library will merge whatever you have in the current library and... is ti really this complicated?

Is there a simple way for her to have access to all the photos for organising/renaming/editing that syncs to her devices, can be included in her regular backup schedule and also be viewable by someone without a Mac (me)?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

This is precisely the use case for iCloud Photos. Turning it on for each device syncs them up and pushes images that haven't been touched recently out of the device's local storage when it needs more room and redownloads the photos as needed if you view/edit them.

If you want to view them from a non-Mac, you can login to icloud.com via a web browser a browse through the photos.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010
Is there a decent macOS money management app? I need it to sync transactions from my bank and credit card, categorize them, and maintain a budget.

Bonus points for cloud sync and an iOS companion app.

I tried Mint, but I’d rather use a native app. Quicken’s budget planner is awful.

I remember using one called iBank years ago, but it no longer appears to be around.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Didn’t iBank become Banktivity?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

gyrf posted:

Is there a decent macOS money management app? I need it to sync transactions from my bank and credit card, categorize them, and maintain a budget.

Bonus points for cloud sync and an iOS companion app.

I tried Mint, but I’d rather use a native app. Quicken’s budget planner is awful.

I remember using one called iBank years ago, but it no longer appears to be around.

Personal Capital is good.

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

virinvictus posted:

Apparently so.

I installed it, but I can't get it to sync with my accounts. It gets as far as asking for a security code I receive on my phone, but when I enter it, the app does some searching and asks again for a security code. Same with both my bank and the credit card I tried. I'll try their help line on Monday and see if I can get it set up.

Meanwhile I'll check out Personal Capital.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

YNAB

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
YNAB is great and I use it but there isn’t a native Mac app. It’s a web app and an iOS app.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There is but it’s for an older version that isn’t officially supported anymore. But it was a one off cost rather than subscription so I still used that. I personally didn’t find I was getting anything out of it I wasnt already tracking with my own spreadsheets mind

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Trying to fix an issue from the last couple days

A couple weeks ago i finally gave up and started letting my photos sync to the cloud to free phone space. Now instagram's preview pics when i wanna post something are all jaggy and it starts the spinny wheel in top right corner but even after like 5 mins hasnt loaded the full-res version to let me post.

I did install the 1blocker and legacy apps a few days ago but i dunno why they would mess up ig, i even made a post like that night iirc

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
O lol. Googled and apparently icloud is just terrible at letting you actually access the stuff it's storing, like slower than 56k

wtf, this is 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Yeah iCloud (not just Photos) is slow as dog poo poo compared to just about anything else.

zhar
May 3, 2019

I’m trying to update to 10.15.3 but it seems to be taking forever this time. I have an SSD and usually it doesn’t take much longer than 30 minutes especially on minor updates. This time it’s been stuck on the grey background with apple logo, progress bar about 95% for over 2 hours now with no indication of progress other than the fan spinning so maybe it is doing SOMETHING.

At what point do I hard reset? Cmd-L doesn’t bring up anything.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

LionArcher posted:

Serious question. Is here any reason to update to Cat? All my programs work with Mojave.

If you’re one of the lucky ones like me who have a memory leak/CPU stealing bug with messages, Catalina fixes that.

I can’t find any other material reason, but that was game breaking for me so it was worth it.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Hmm so I did end up hard resetting which may have been unwise as now I can’t login, it sticks on the loading progress bar on normal boot and in safe mode it sticks on the spinning wheel. I tried loading verbose safe mode but the problem seems to be after the boot up as verbose mode doesn’t return after entering my password. It’s times like this I wishI kept a backup. I tried first aid on the disk in recovery mode (no issues) and I can see all the data is still there on terminal, so I’m going to get an external drive and copy it over in disk utility.

Is there anything to try before completely reinstalling at this point?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

zhar posted:

Hmm so I did end up hard resetting which may have been unwise as now I can’t login, it sticks on the loading progress bar on normal boot and in safe mode it sticks on the spinning wheel. I tried loading verbose safe mode but the problem seems to be after the boot up as verbose mode doesn’t return after entering my password. It’s times like this I wishI kept a backup. I tried first aid on the disk in recovery mode (no issues) and I can see all the data is still there on terminal, so I’m going to get an external drive and copy it over in disk utility.

Is there anything to try before completely reinstalling at this point?

CMD+Option+R should let you do an 'upgrade' install of 10.15.3.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Jose Oquendo posted:

CMD+Option+R should let you do an 'upgrade' install of 10.15.3.

Thanks, I will try this when my external HD arrives and I’ve backed everything up.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Wayyyy up on last page but I couldn't live without the calendar and time functionality of iStat if you need to see things at a glance.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

gyrf posted:

Is there a decent macOS money management app?

It's a web based service, but check out Tiller. It pulls data from your banks and sticks it into a google or excel spreadsheet for you to categorize and manipulate to your hearts content.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 11, 2020

gyrf
Aug 14, 2010

virinvictus posted:

It did. And the list of banks it doesn’t currently support includes all four that I need to use. Which is too bad, because the app looks good.

Amun
Oct 16, 2002

Updating from 10.15.2 to 10.15.3 bricked my 2018 15” MBP. I hit “restart” for the update, it shut down, and then it would not power on even hours later. It’s at a repair shop now but I’m curious if anyone has heard of something like this before?

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

In Safari v13.0.5 on 10.14.6, I have the "Allow websites to ask for permission to send push notifications" preference checked off under Notifications, but websites are still asking if I would like to receive notifications. I looked up to see who else was having a problem, and someone claimed this was a Safari bug in 2018. Still broken in 2020, or am I doing something wrong?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Amun posted:

Updating from 10.15.2 to 10.15.3 bricked my 2018 15” MBP. I hit “restart” for the update, it shut down, and then it would not power on even hours later. It’s at a repair shop now but I’m curious if anyone has heard of something like this before?

I've heard of that happening more to people upgrading from Sierra/High Sierra/Mojave than from a point release.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Good Sphere posted:

In Safari v13.0.5 on 10.14.6, I have the "Allow websites to ask for permission to send push notifications" preference checked off under Notifications, but websites are still asking if I would like to receive notifications. I looked up to see who else was having a problem, and someone claimed this was a Safari bug in 2018. Still broken in 2020, or am I doing something wrong?

Is it actually the real notification or a fake one made to look like the real one? I’ve seen plenty of sites draw a fake one designed to look like chrome’s notification alert. Not that far fetched for someone to copy safaris as well, though I honestly don’t know why you would bother.

eames
May 9, 2009

Amun posted:

Updates, even smaller point releases, often come with UEFI/Firmware updates to fix bugs or update the CPU Microcode.
This is pure speculation but having such an update fail at a critical point of the process could brick a machine like that, it’s the equivalent of a failed BIOS update in the PC world.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Granite Octopus posted:

I’ve seen plenty of sites draw a fake one designed to look like chrome’s notification alert.

God, I've seen this too, and just... the web loving sucks poo poo, man. How could we let it get this bad?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

eames posted:

Updates, even smaller point releases, often come with UEFI/Firmware updates to fix bugs or update the CPU Microcode.
This is pure speculation but having such an update fail at a critical point of the process could brick a machine like that, it’s the equivalent of a failed BIOS update in the PC world.

Yeah because in most cases, including the latest Security Updates for HS/Mojave/Catalina, both the BootROM and the BridgeOS (two separate firmwares!) have to be updated. That's why I reckon it takes so $#@#%#@ long to do the latest Security Updates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amun
Oct 16, 2002

eames posted:

I’m guessing there’s a way to reflash? Or do you have to replace the chip itself? I haven’t heard from the repair shop yet which is a bit worrying...