Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

I'm a deerman riding around on my giant tiger, shooting arrows. I keep trying to approach people to ask for quests, but that dang tiger scratches at them and their spinal structure collapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Kitty just wants to play with them.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

somepartsareme posted:

Is lazy noob pack still a thing? I haven't played in a while and never seriously got into the game so I'm afraid to try out the new version if stuff like that hasn't been updated

i'm very out of the loop, truth be told, but LNP in general relies on DFHack being updated, which takes a bunch of work while the data dwarves hack away at the memory addresses figuring out where the nerve ends to do things are this time

there will be a wait for tools-have

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

ninjewtsu posted:

Can you offset the slow onset of depression by having all dwarves regularly engage in summary execution of goblin prisoners? So they become numb to the sight of death

I've only played two forts since DF2017 (or whenever the previous big version was) but it seems that if they're physiologically prone to be bothered by death, they'll be bothered forever. Lots of dwarves would still have "Saw a dead troglodyte" weighting them down mentally years after it occurred, and it seems like there's no pulling these dwarves out of it, because those old events never 'fall off' and stop mattering.

On the other hand, some of the starting 7 might have a different psych profile and be fine 20 years later.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Basically not content with capitalist crimes against merfolk, you essentially need to go full fash and just get rid of your "undesirables". A least since last version you can banish them instead of lava atomsmashers.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Honestly I think the best way to solve the current depression spiral is when they throw a tantrum or get listless, after they've done it make it so it removes a bunch of memories. Basically they get it outta themselves.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Implement mind flayers as visiting diplomats. Trade away bad thoughts for a slight chance to briefly enter a listless fugue state now and then. I'm sure that's nothing to worry about. It's probably fine

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So has anyone noticed that there are way more legendary dwarves in migrant waves now? Just had a legendary weaponsmith mosey in the first migrant wave! :staredog:

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I always get legendary bone carvers, which are a: not very useful to begin with, and b: like the most usual strange mood result

Which makes sense.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Must be a lot of fell moods offsite for that many bonecarvers.

This version looks nice, but I'm probably gonna keep hanging back until he's finished villains part 2. Been kinda burnt out of dwarf fortress since Bronzestabbed (Aside: I've been nagging Leperflesh about getting that archived for a while, but no dice so far).

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Honestly I think the best way to solve the current depression spiral is when they throw a tantrum or get listless, after they've done it make it so it removes a bunch of memories. Basically they get it outta themselves.

Once my entire fort turns into a bunch of emo-depressed-useless dwarves I use dfhack prozac to solve the issue for awhile. On one hand it removes some interesting mechanics of keeping people happy but then I don't have to worry about the inevitable tantrum spiral over a dead cat.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Experimental versions of dwarf therapist are out

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Got curious in Legends mode and tracked the life of the necromancer who invented the "Dreamweb's warrior" abominations. He got killed off, then revived by his old master as a "sunless corpse". Spent about twenty years running footraces against other zombified necromancers then got killed by a ghost. :iiam:

Reclaimed a fort full of goblins. At least, I think they're goblins. They've all got generated religious titles overriding their class info. Marked as hostile, but they don't attack. They even aggro on thieves! I did lose four of my starting seven to a forgotten beast hiding in a bedroom.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hihohe posted:

Nah make temples and priests the primary way to 'fix' bad thoughts. Go to confession or pray for guidance to clear or mitigate thoughts with less side effects. Obviously certain thoughts shouldn't expire completely and cause a long term effect (such as friends dying violently) but them dying of natural causes should expire after a while.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I want some of the rubble submods back :(

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Demiurge4 posted:

Nah make temples and priests the primary way to 'fix' bad thoughts. Go to confession or pray for guidance to clear or mitigate thoughts with less side effects. Obviously certain thoughts shouldn't expire completely and cause a long term effect (such as friends dying violently) but them dying of natural causes should expire after a while.

That too. All the new location things such as taverns, libraries, temples and such should remove bad thoughts or trim old memories with their various interactions. I feel it would be balanced if it doesnt get rid of "bad" thoughts moreso it gets rid of old memories. That way they should only throw tantrums if you continue being awful at your job as overseer. Know what I mean?

Like. Go to the tavern, have a drink, sing a song. Now the memories of seeing that dead guy, looking at a statue, being in the rain are gone from the tail end. Now there is room for new ones. Hopefully good if you are doing well.

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 3, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:frogsiren: Crayon Drawings and ASCII stories are coming to an end next month. If you've been wanting one, this month is a good month to give them a nice donation and get one for yourself.

Patreon Post explaining it. Not sure if it's public to read. It's pretty much explained in the devlog too.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Started playing again after not really playing for a few years. Not on the newest version yet, waiting for at least therapist to be workable if not all of lnp being updated.

My second or third fort was fun. The first few died off miserably as I tried to reacquaint myself with the mechanics. I had breached the cavern layer and thought I had it sealed off. I must have missed a spot because a giant three eyed crab that could spit fire made its way into the fortress. From what I could tell from the combat logs, it appeared as though he ripped the foot off the first dwarf he encountered then ran around beating every other dwarf to death with a shoe.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Good news! Therapist is workable.

Greater news! My first fortress just had a loyalty cascade because a Farmer couldnt craft anything? His highest moodables were farming related and i had him doing that stuff but uh, he just lost his poo poo and killed the Captain of the Guard in the tavern. He punched two more soldiers to death on the way back to the farming levels before every animal in my pens aggro'd on him and he was bit to death by a giant lizard. This caused the entire Farmer's Guild to start fighting with each other and started slaughtering everyone from the farm levels down to the newly created militia quarters.

Ruined.

Toady says he is fixing some worldbuilding crashes, but its been far more stable for me than previous versions. Generated a 800year large map last night in 6 hours that didnt take 2 days.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

DebonaireD posted:

I'm a deerman riding around on my giant tiger, shooting arrows. I keep trying to approach people to ask for quests, but I'm dummy thicc and the scratch of my tiger keeps collapsing their spinal structure

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
A necromancer merchant came to read my books, so I whipped up a squad to murder them. This decision had nothing to do with the fact the library has line-of-sight to my corpse pile.

Now the necromancer is dead and I've got some kind of truce with hostile-not-hostile zombie lieutenants. Two of the zombies are in my citizen list. They retain all their thoughts, but don't feel anything and can't be assigned jobs. They're both resting in my hospital.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just getting back into Dorfort for the first time since the Military interface overhaul, I think? Just vanilla fort with Mayday's tileset and aquifers removed from worldgen while I remember how to play this drat game. What're the most important things that have changed since... heck, 2017?

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

So Math posted:

This decision had nothing to do with the fact the library has line-of-sight to my corpse pile.
I always felt there was something missing when I was reading books, like I wasn't getting the full experience. Now I know that it was simply my inability to admire a tastefully arranged pile of rotting corpses as I read my book and sipped my beverage of choice.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Update: one of the zombies is out of hospital and doing hauling jobs.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So Math posted:

Congratulations on reenacting Shaun of the dead

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So Math posted:

What does the zombie's thoughts screen look like?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Nessus posted:

What does the zombie's thoughts screen look like?

Èrith here doesn't have any dreams to fulfill, and I think there's color missing from her values section. She has managed to make some new relationships with migrants, but only as passing acquaintances. Probably because she doesn't stop to socialize.

The other zombie is in the hospital -- they have a single thought about not feeling anything after being taken to the hospital to rest.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So Math posted:

Èrith here doesn't have any dreams to fulfill, and I think there's color missing from her values section. She has managed to make some new relationships with migrants, but only as passing acquaintances. Probably because she doesn't stop to socialize.

The other zombie is in the hospital -- they have a single thought about not feeling anything after being taken to the hospital to rest.
Put this zombie goon in steel armor and you've completely dodged any corpsehauling problems forever!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Can you edit his labor settings?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

ninjewtsu posted:

Can you edit his labor settings?

No, and I can't put her in the military either. Still, it's nice to have a hauler who doesn't get scared by all the ghosts. Did I mention the ghosts?

I just had a necromancer monster slayer show up on this save, and they're chill for now but I can see things going south if they actually get into combat.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How broken is the newest version? I was gonna wait until Steam release to jump back in but I'm getting antsy and there is no timeline for when that'll happen.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Popete posted:

How broken is the newest version? I was gonna wait until Steam release to jump back in but I'm getting antsy and there is no timeline for when that'll happen.

Its very fun.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Popete posted:

There a couple of nasty bugs.
Probably wait for the bug fixing pass toady just added a couple today

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Toady just fixed the baby bug

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
He didn't shrug at buggy baby luggers?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hey so I wanted to extract the rubble utility submods (it has some nifty extra workshops, machinery and reactions) into a personal modpack how would I go about doing that?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Lawman 0 posted:

Hey so I wanted to extract the rubble utility submods (it has some nifty extra workshops, machinery and reactions) into a personal modpack how would I go about doing that?

I'm looking at the guts of this thing, and it just looks like normal raws with some critical headers and bits substituted for script hooks. Shouldn't be too hard to dig them out of /addons/User and remould them back to something the game can read.

Like this anvilmaking reaction:

code:
[OBJECT:REACTION]

{REACTION;SMELTER_IRON_ANVIL;ADDON_HOOK_PLAYABLE}
	[NAME:cast iron anvil]
	[BUILDING:SMELTER:NONE]
	[REAGENT:A:750:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]
	[PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NONE:METAL:IRON]
	[FUEL]
	[SKILL:SMELT]
Retouching the header into [REACTION:SMELTER_IRON_ANVIL] should work just fine.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 6, 2020

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean, who doesn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...