Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The militia breaks into your place and jams a thermometer up your rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Football stadiums make for excellent containment camps.

I hope china manage to control this. Maybe the end of the flu season will help us all.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

are those that lady's screams at the end?

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Rinkles posted:

could have been some other lady I guess

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

2 weeks to go from no global health emergency to concentration camps seems... fast

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
another victim

https://twitter.com/PrivateDivision/status/1225526314188386304?s=20

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

maybe they're thinking with the medical concentration camps:

bbc posted:

How can the outbreak be stopped?

We now know the virus will not stop on its own; only the actions of the Chinese authorities can bring this epidemic to an end.

The only option is to prevent people who have become infected from spreading the virus to others.

That means:

limiting people's movement

encouraging hand-washing and other forms of infection control

treating patients in isolation with healthcare workers wearing protective gear

A massive feat of detective work will also be needed to identify people whom patients have come into contact with to see if they have the virus.
So... hopefully they follow up with a sufficient mass movement of supplies and medical staff to those stadiums. Right?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rinkles posted:

there's no way to tell but that's the conclusion you're meant to draw yes

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

doctorfrog posted:

So... hopefully they follow up with a sufficient mass movement of supplies and medical staff to those stadiums. Right?

Like the Japanese who exterminated the whales on boats which had "SCIENSE VESSEL" spray painted on the side, we're gonna see flamethrowers with red crosses being delivered to the medical stadium

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I've been graphing the progression of things for a bit now.

https://twitter.com/mithaldu/status/1225691462433570821

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

cda posted:

What's the funniest part of this virus?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Dystopia with chinese characteristics

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
The CCP really does love setting up camps, don’t they? It’s like their go to for every problem. Restive minorities? Camps! Virus? Camps!

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Delthalaz posted:

The CCP really does love setting up camps, don’t they? It’s like their go to for every problem. Restive minorities? Camps! Virus? Camps!

Everyone does tbh, it's just that they give zero fucks

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

This is so cruel. Instead of warehousing them, can't they just identify them as sick? Maybe something like make them wear a badge to say they're sick?

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Delthalaz posted:

I just got.done reading Mao's Great Famine and if the accounts in it were any indication then yes, forced communes are apparently the favored solution to everything. Hell, even seeding.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Delthalaz posted:

Gathering up people who view as "troublesome" and concentrating them in one place is a time-honored tradition, the Chinese do it to people infected with a deadly disease, the US does it to immigrant children because conservatives view them as a deadly disease that threatens their power structures, etc

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ok im not some super smart guy but there are obviously two stories going on here

1: china is a technocratic authoritarian (with slight but also overt fascist leanings) nation able to shut down cities at will

2: bad flu going on which sounds like its probably pretty bad

ps: the general health in some of these chinese cities is not good to begin with

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 7, 2020

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Singapore has multiple case in which they can not track the source to other cases or travel to china. Concerning as that means there are infectious cases undiagnosed in the community.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I'm prepared

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

RichardA posted:

Singapore has multiple case in which they can not track the source to other cases or travel to china. Concerning as that means there are infectious cases undiagnosed in the community.

All those air passengers going abroad fro. Wuhan had to get home somehow. And more likely than. And the answer is likely by public transport. Which is not only true for Singapore but extremely likely there given the policies around driving.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
They should read up on what Indonesia's doing, still virus-free as far as anyone knows!

https://twitter.com/ChannelNewsAsia/status/1225398755307843584

(The article is more detailed - the returned persons are quarantined, but the cost to test everyone is apparently too high, they'll only do it for people with symptoms)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

QuarkJets posted:

there's no way to tell but that's the conclusion you're meant to draw yes

I think that was added in the video. The weirdest thing is the man and the girl hugged like they are departing and then both of them went into the box?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

unpacked robinhood posted:

Remember like 3 weeks ago when we worried trump might nuke Iran over twiter memes or whatever the gently caress. And now this, lol

hell yeah God hates us and wants to die

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alan Smithee posted:

hell yeah God hates us and wants to die

:same:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

This is a loving terrible, cruel and counterproductive idea. Far better to let people quarantine at home with their families if there's not enough treatment for everyone where at least they can be with their loved ones and have some sort of familiarity and comfort. Even if the entire family is infected it's very likely that only one or two older people will have a chance of getting the more severe symptoms.

As is quoted in the article,

quote:

“What happens to the people who are sick?” he asked. “Do they receive care, and at what level? And can the caregivers, in the circumstances of a stadium or school auditorium, provide care effectively — and keep themselves safe?”

Other outside experts said that concentrating large numbers of sick people together in dormitory-like facilities created conditions ripe for inadvertently spreading a range of infectious diseases.

“A lot of these people already have underlying health problems that need to be cared for,” said Thomas M. File Jr., president of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. “You put them all in close proximity, and they could be exposed to other infections that are even more easily spread than coronavirus, like tuberculosis, which is airborne, and bacterial infections that can spread among dense populations.”

This is just going to take a lot of sick people and make them even sicker and more miserable.

And it's absolutely just doing something that looks strong in order to not look weak after totally loving everything up previously. Look how good I am, Papa Xi!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The point of the stadium hospitals is to prevent the infested spread to their family members. They are moving to it because the previous "stay home and wait for a bed" method is not working.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Yeah it's too late to worry about infecting the family members. This is the point of the quarantine at home, everyone in the house gets it but it doesn't spread from there. And as I said most people get mild symptoms and if the severe cases can't be cared for elsewhere then just stay at home. It's a bad situation but it's better than taking the severe cases and cramming them all in a room together to die.

But of course you don't have to take my word for it, if the quote from the president of the Infectious Diseases Society of America doesn't persuade you then I don't see the point of arguing about it myself.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 7, 2020

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Infectious Diseases for America 2020

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Make America Gangrenous Again

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
So, anyone have any good timelines for when/if this might start affecting vital services in the USA?

I'm looking to refit/resupply my earthquake kit and I figured I could beef it up a little.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

unpacked robinhood posted:

Make America Gangrenous Again

lol

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

I am aboard this ship, ask me anything. Four Chinese nationals were sent to a hospital, 23 immediately deported.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

The French Army posted:

I am aboard this ship, ask me anything. Four Chinese nationals were sent to a hospital, 23 immediately deported.

Do you have life insurance?

I kid, but seriously keep us updated.

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene
I mean the “this thing is literally nothing, absolutely nothing” crew haven’t been totally right so far though

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

r u ready to WALK posted:

i wonder if the box has a light and something to sit on inside or if you're just supposed to stumble around inside it, constantly getting slammed into the walls in complete darkness as they drive you around

seems fun

the new hospitals are just parking lots full of these weird little moaning cubes

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Armadillo Tank posted:

I'm sure this is just a chinese discount uber service.

Maybe it's akin to companion cube in such a way that it'll get pushed into a cleansing flame?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The French Army posted:

Is the food good? Do you still get to do fun cruise activities or are you stuck in your cabins masturbating all day?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Dog Toothbrush posted:

I mean the “this thing is literally nothing, absolutely nothing” crew haven’t been totally right so far though

literally nobody has been arguing that. it's people who say the situation is serious arguing against people who say this is a genetically engineered bioweapon purposefully released by the CCP that's already infected half the globe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

let us never forget the beijing olympics cat death camps