Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

TANK

ACE

DEATH

STRIKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Babe Magnet posted:

TANK

ACE

DEATH

STRIKE

I changed my mind, this is clearly the superior option.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Tank Ace Atlas Recovery Tank

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
Tank Ace Cyclops Demolition Vehicle. Literally an RC car that's also a bomb.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Tank Ace Arvus Lighter

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

goose willis posted:

Tank Ace Arvus Lighter

Nope, all Guard fliers are faction: Aeronautica Imperialis instead of Astra Militarum.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

MY DREAMS.. SHATTERED

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/07/the-greater-good-militarum-tempestus-faction-focusgw-homepage-post-3/

Faction focus for the Willy Wonka SWAT team is up.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Moola posted:

But for real, gently caress off if you think shaming people for not playing to your hobby 'standard' is okay in an way

What if your standard is “showering”?

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

LingcodKilla posted:

What if your standard is “showering”?

That's not a hobby standard, that's a basic requirement for functioning in society.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013
So i'm just starting out in getting into the hobby. Currently have about 1k points of orks and was wondering if there were any things to watch out for moving forward, pitfalls or things to just avoid as i build up to a 2k list. Mostly playing friendly games at the LGS and not looking to be playing in competitive tournaments or anything, so is it mostly just find things that look like they'll be fun and go from there (outside a few piles of boys) or is that just a recipe for disaster out the gate?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Chuckle posted:

So i'm just starting out in getting into the hobby. Currently have about 1k points of orks and was wondering if there were any things to watch out for moving forward, pitfalls or things to just avoid as i build up to a 2k list. Mostly playing friendly games at the LGS and not looking to be playing in competitive tournaments or anything, so is it mostly just find things that look like they'll be fun and go from there (outside a few piles of boys) or is that just a recipe for disaster out the gate?

I’m in a similar position, I’ve been told that what I should be looking at is getting a Trukk to move my Boyz or Nobz forward faster in, I’m actually thinking of getting a GSC Goliath or AM Taurox as a proxy. I think it might help to list what you’ve got. It’s also worth consulting Goonhammer, though I they are looking at competition lists and things. https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-orks-tactics/

Question, is a group of 5 Nobz all with Sluggas and a Power Klaw each a stupidly fun idea, or just a stupid idea?

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 7, 2020

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

That's not a hobby standard, that's a basic requirement for functioning in society.

Look at this society gatekeeper.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Anime_Otaku posted:

I’m in a similar position, I’ve been told that what I should be looking at is getting a Trukk to move my Boyz or Nobz forward faster in, I’m actually thinking of getting a GSC Goliath or AM Taurox as a proxy. I think it might help to list what you’ve got. It’s also worth consulting Goonhammer, though I they are looking at competition lists and things. https://www.goonhammer.com/start-competing-orks-tactics/

Question, is a group of 5 Nobz all with Sluggas and a Power Klaw each a stupidly fun idea, or just a stupid idea?

More or less the same deal as Terminators. If you can get them into melee they rock, but getting them there intact is often difficult. As Orks you have a few options that help (like Da Jump) but you need to use those guys judiciously because unless you can constantly keep them in combat they WILL get shot right off the board the first time they're not in a LOS blocking building, a transport, or busy krumping the enemy.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Emperor's Children Slamlord ready to smash dat axe. :biglips:

I sincerely love everything about this.

Rock out with your hawk out!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Chuckle posted:

This thread has links to discussions on all ork units. Some are a bit out of date (buggies and deffkoptas are better after a points drop), but it's mostly pretty sound. Goonhammer's article is more recent, but it's also more focused on the comp level, and doesn't necessarily go into how some of the okay-but-not-stellar units play.

Biggest trap for orks, quite literally, is the stompa. It's a great model, but utterly trash for its cost. Kanz, say, are bad, but they're cheap enough that you could toss a few into an army for funsies and not suffer too much for it. A stompa is almost half your points at 2K, and you just can't make up for its presence in your list.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

Anime_Otaku posted:

Right now i've got about 70 boyz, 10 lootas, a pair of pain boys, a pair of wierdboys, warboss, ghaz, and some nobs. I've played two 1000 point games and they both ended with me getting shot off the table, which is fine as I'm still learning. the more i look at them the more I like the way that the vehicles look (snazz wagon, the shokkjump dragster warbikes etc) so i'm leaning towards those, but really have no idea how to build a list that works well with itself.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

Nope, all Guard fliers are faction: Aeronautica Imperialis instead of Astra Militarum.

guard flyers have aeronautica imperialis instead of <regiment> but they also have astra militarum

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I need to get a rulebook still, just built the below sister's army and starting to paint them. Anyone know roughly how many points what I have is worth?

20 sisters
5 retibutors
1 hospitilar
1 cannoness (the retro one they re-released)
1 extra sister superior
2 mortifiers

Would like to try and jump in and play once I have this painted, more or less, but not really sure what I even have gameplay wise.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Tau-Manta

I can justify this purchase by saying it's necessary for any Tau army, right? How many points is this thing?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

I said come in! posted:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Tau-Manta

I can justify this purchase by saying it's necessary for any Tau army, right? How many points is this thing?

Over 2600.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

hard counter posted:

guard flyers have aeronautica imperialis instead of <regiment> but they also have astra militarum

I am the stupid. I shall go into exile to try and escape from my shame.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Strobe posted:

Over 2600.

So it's essentially an entire army in one box.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

I said come in! posted:

Even better, you can use it to bludgeon your opponent to death if you lose.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

nesbit37 posted:

I need to get a rulebook still, just built the below sister's army and starting to paint them. Anyone know roughly how many points what I have is worth?

20 sisters
5 retibutors
1 hospitilar
1 cannoness (the retro one they re-released)
1 extra sister superior
2 mortifiers

Would like to try and jump in and play once I have this painted, more or less, but not really sure what I even have gameplay wise.

About ~450 depending on wargear. Grab battlescribe, it's free and will let you total up your points and fiddle with detachments.

You need 2 HQs and 3 troops to form a batallion which is essentially the standard core detachment, so if you proxy your extra sister superior as canoness #2 you should be able to make a ~500 point starter battalion which is a perfectly decent for a small friendly game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

Even better, you can use it to bludgeon your opponent to death if you lose.

It is 26 pounds of plastic!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

I said come in! posted:

It is 26 pounds of plastic!

1100 pounds of resin! :rimshot:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

Its a flying Titan

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Chuckle posted:

Orks are all about putting enough legit immediate threats on the board that your opponent is paralyzed on what to respond to. Ideally they don’t commit on one threat and you just steamroll them

Some threats you should consider:

3x shokk attack guns: the core threat of every major ork army especially in a dreadwaaagh. Dunk an opponent’s heavy off the board at 60” range every turn

15x lootas: badmoons clan with more dakka and showing off stratagem fuckin shreds. Crash and burn the opponents air transport into his own lines turn one and bathe in the tears

30x boys x3: warpath and da jump a new batch each turn as evil suns and most opponents are gonna have a real bad day. They will almost surely get unlucky wiping one of them as well so you’ll get to deep strike them AGAIN for 3 cp and you effectively had 120 boys for the price of 90.

2x Deff dreads or 6x meganobs in a tellyporta. Oh they survived the turn 1 boys rush. Well In turn 2 there’s the next round of 30 boys and also another huge melee threat 9” away

Jets: love me some jets, especially the burnabomma (for infantry) or wazbom (if you’re going vehicles). Dakka has good use cases as well. Move one of these directly behind their lines so that it’s closest to their characters for a hearty laugh. Otherwise enjoy watching them spend too much energy focusing on your -1 to hit jet. Bonus points if you can get the burnabomma to crash and burn in their lines. Command point reroll that poo poo if it fails

Buggies: specifically the shokkjump and megatrakk. Very points efficient against heavy targets and very mobile. I’m using these more and more lately and they’re great. Especially paired with wazboms for the 5+ invuln

Smasha gunz: very points efficient meta but very dollars/pts inefficient. The day after you buy 12 of them they will finally get nerfed. A couple are great though. Don’t glue on the tip so you can switch them to traktor kannons if you’re facing some bullshit elf flier spam

Hope this helps

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Mr Teatime posted:

I finished painting a thing. The Contemptor kit is great but good grief I don’t want to assemble an assault cannon again.

I'm so hype for this. It looks like such a piece of junk it shouldn't even function. Those are some great weathering skills.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Sure the Manta costs over $1700, but you get free shipping!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Good Citizen posted:

30x boys x3: warpath and da jump a new batch each turn as evil suns and most opponents are gonna have a real bad day. They will almost surely get unlucky wiping one of them as well so you’ll get to deep strike them AGAIN for 3 cp and you effectively had 120 boys for the price of 90.

This is a pretty common setup and good in most situations, but one caution. I'd think about dropping down to 2x30 if the local meta is Marines heavy. Marines are very good at taking out Boyz efficiently and the points might be better spent elsewhere.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Just played a narrative game against imperial fists, first game post IF/marine update with my CSM. By gently caress they were painful to play against.

My average save was 5+, their weapons damage 2+. Player even used a basic army (not tailored or min maxed) and I had sustained assualt.

Roll on 9th Ed or an FAQ.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

JackMann posted:

This is a pretty common setup and good in most situations, but one caution. I'd think about dropping down to 2x30 if the local meta is Marines heavy. Marines are very good at taking out Boyz efficiently and the points might be better spent elsewhere.

Oh for sure. Marines are hell for large boys mobs, especially if they’re smart enough to auspex scan you.

Also, if you are running boy-heavy, WATCH OUT FOR ANY IMPERIUM LIST THAT IS APPROX 90pts SHORT OF 2k! They are planning to drop an eversor assassin on your rear end. Be ready for it

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

JackMann posted:

There is a new meta developing which substitutes the points spent on 30 boyz to grab nobz instead for roughly the same points cost.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Ended up getting a huge amount of nids in a trade, once I got them the thought of having to strip and repaint them completely ruined my motivation to paint them.

So I've stuck them on ebay, anyone looking a massive nid army hit me up

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

OhDearGodNo posted:

There is a new meta developing which substitutes the points spent on 30 boyz to grab nobz instead for roughly the same points cost.

With free gear on both Nobz are exactly double the ppm.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I found a 5-man squad of power armoured Grey Knights I bought and partially assembled a few years back (this was back when they were still on 25mm bases and came in squads of 5), and over the last few weeks I have purchased a 10-man strike squad, the codex, Ritual of the Damned and a squad of Terminators.

What am I even doing?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 8, 2020

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Chuckle posted:

Right now i've got about 70 boyz, 10 lootas, a pair of pain boys, a pair of wierdboys, warboss, ghaz, and some nobs. I've played two 1000 point games and they both ended with me getting shot off the table, which is fine as I'm still learning. the more i look at them the more I like the way that the vehicles look (snazz wagon, the shokkjump dragster warbikes etc) so i'm leaning towards those, but really have no idea how to build a list that works well with itself.

Make sure you have some Line of Sight blocking terrain. If it's a shooting gallery from one deployment to the other you've already lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Yvonmukluk posted:

I found a 5-man squad of power armoured Grey Knights I bought and partially assembled a few years back (this was back when they were still on 25mm bases and came in squads of 5), and over the last few weeks I have purchased a 10-man strike squad, the codex, Ritual of the Damned and a squad of Terminators.

[i]What am I even doing?[/url]

Your on your way to being a proud owner of an underdog army.

Honestly when my friends started playing Kill team I ended up getting some grey Knights because I don't really need to get any more imperial guard. I found it an interesting challenge to play an army that had basically little to no room for error and gets right up in people's faces.

Now though with the changes I basically need way more PA grey Knights, both with and without the special weapons.

Next you want to get Voldus as he makes a great HQ choice for smaller games.