Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

Laserface posted:

interesting. explain?

They're buying unlimited accounts and reselling their services. You connect to free-usenet's server and request an article like normal, they then look for it on (just making these up) Newshosting, then Giganews, then Farm, then TweakNews, etc. Then if they find the article on TweakNews, for example, they'll proxy the connection through their own sever and send it to you. TweakNews sees free-usenet's server downloading the article and you just see it coming from free-usenet. Abuse like this is why some "unlimited" providers do have a limit at some point.

It's lovely for the providers but good for the end user. It's up to you if you want to support something like that when pirating your movies and games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I ended up going with Frugal unlimited. I got a referral link through Reddit that knocked the price down to $45 / year. I'm easily downloading stuff that was previously impossible with NGD. The biggest problem I have now is looking at Sonarr's blacklisted files. I imagine if I look hard enough I can clear all blacklists with a setting.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Canuckistan posted:

I ended up going with Frugal unlimited. I got a referral link through Reddit that knocked the price down to $45 / year. I'm easily downloading stuff that was previously impossible with NGD. The biggest problem I have now is looking at Sonarr's blacklisted files. I imagine if I look hard enough I can clear all blacklists with a setting.

It's under Activity > Blacklist > Clear (at least in version 3 anyway). If you're using NZBGet, you might want to also clear your failed history or disable duplicate checking otherwise it will just delete the files then report them back to Sonarr's black list.

I've recently discovered NZBKing which has been really useful finding some things for backfill from years ago which I can't find on any of my usual indexers.

The problem is NZBKing has no API so I have to search everything manually, and their search leaves a lot to be desired. Since I now know the files exist and what newsgroup they belong to, would I be able to set up my own Newsnab server pointed at a hand full of groups set it to back fill headers 10+ years and be able to find the same files as I have with NZBKing?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I tried usenet.farm but I'm still getting missing articles. SOL?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I had wondered why I couldn't find any backbone info for free-usenet, now I know.

Using free-usenet solved a lot of issues with missing articles when I was backfilling a bunch of content. I run usenetprime as my primary (47.6GB so far this month) and free-usenet as secondary (17.4GB so far this month) and I am content.

edit: plus, their free offering gives you an idea of the impact/benefit of their service on your missing articles

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

EvilMoFo posted:

I had wondered why I couldn't find any backbone info for free-usenet, now I know.

there is a reason why they are banned from even being mentioned on reddit. i cant really see supporting them since they really do not help usenet in the long run but i suppose there is no honor among thieves.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

anyone care to point me to the posts in this thread about configuring sonarr V3 to prefer HEVC/h265 content?

I tried the tag stuff but it doesnt seem to work.

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.

Laserface posted:

anyone care to point me to the posts in this thread about configuring sonarr V3 to prefer HEVC/h265 content?

I tried the tag stuff but it doesnt seem to work.

It's under Settings > Profiles > Release Profiles.

Then you can set key words to be included in a release and addd a score weighting to them. The higher scoring releases will be tried first, so you could set one with "h265" +5 or whatever. I've been using it with success to favour obfuscated posts first and another one to favour a certain year for a release which has two versions both with the same name but different years. You can also set it so that releases must contain the term rather than just prefer them.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Why is HEVC/h265 the new big thing? Just smaller file sizes for comparable resolutions?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

EC posted:

Why is HEVC/h265 the new big thing? Just smaller file sizes for comparable resolutions?

Just natural progress, like how AVC replaced Xvid replaced Divx. More efficient codec that’s now matured to the point where it’s the most preferable if your hardware can decode it.

I tend to not use it for first run TV right now as I’d rather untouched stuff from Amazon and they still use AVC, but it’s great for archiving.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
It's supposed to be the same quality as x264 at half the file size, but I don't know if that's actually true yet. I remember there were some problems with compression artefacts and blocking a while ago I've had it excluded for years because I'm still running a Pi 2 with Kodi and can't play them anyway.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

It's supposed to be the same quality as x264 at half the file size, but I don't know if that's actually true yet. I remember there were some problems with compression artefacts and blocking a while ago I've had it excluded for years because I'm still running a Pi 2 with Kodi and can't play them anyway.

at true half size it has some issues that i have seen. but you bump it up a little bit and it looks identical to x264 at a pretty big saving in file size. Plus the HDR. it has come a long way, looks great.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
X265 also practically allows 4K streams on most current infrastructure.

Since I bought a Shield TV I've been trying to make everything use it.

Sonarr prefers it (using release profiles) but will stop once the quality profile (e.g. web-dl 1080p) is met, even if that's x264. I've not yet got it to download an x265 if it sees it later once it has the desired quality.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like to keep an archive of 3-5gb movies in H265 because they're not super important to me, and the results have been surprisingly good. Lots of people now rip to 15gb or so from blu-ray to try and get that 'essentially as good as a remux, but half the space' feel but I usually just get a remux if its a first watch and something I care about, as I have enough HDD space for that.

A good test was the other night when I was watching a new season of a show, and I totally forgot that I went from large X264 to small H265 files for that season until I checked afterwards. Quality didn't seem to take a hit at all.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a way to upgrade sonarr to v3 if I'm using the linuxserver docker container or do I have to just wait for the stable release?

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a way to upgrade sonarr to v3 if I'm using the linuxserver docker container or do I have to just wait for the stable release?

Download the tag "preview" to get v3

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Incessant Excess posted:

Same but Unraid docker

E: thanks

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

Heners_UK posted:

Sonarr prefers it (using release profiles) but will stop once the quality profile (e.g. web-dl 1080p) is met, even if that's x264. I've not yet got it to download an x265 if it sees it later once it has the desired quality.

That's not the experience I am having. If a x265 archive appears on the indexers with a greater release profile score it updates to the newer version even if it the quality profile was previously met. If the x265 was already on the indexer, but not the recently added list, a manual search will allow those to be found but it would not be picked up automatically.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Don't worry, a Pi 3 can't play them either, unless I need to pay :2bux: for some codec I haven't done yet. Audio works but video doesn't. Ironically my 2011 iMac plays them fine in VLC.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

more falafel please posted:

Don't worry, a Pi 3 can't play them either, unless I need to pay :2bux: for some codec I haven't done yet. Audio works but video doesn't. Ironically my 2011 iMac plays them fine in VLC.

just time to upgrade to a Pi 4

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm also using the Docker, and learning just changing the release tag to preview makes me think about upgrading. Will it also require any configuration fiddling? How stable is it?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Pi 4 has a x265 hardware decoder, everything else was running them on the CPU which wasn't strong enough.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Speaking of my lovely setup, this may be more suited for the NAS/Storage thread, but I *need* to do something about my lovely setup. I run SAB/Sonarr/Radarr off my 2011 iMac that probably has bad RAM or something because it's consistently making GBS threads the bed, store on an old Drobo which I named "toaster" because the lights reminded me of cylons and BSG was literally on the air at the time, and mount the Drobo on my Pi 3 over NFS, then use Kodi to playback.

I want to upgrade to a machine that's dedicated to downloading/serving media -- I'd like to keep the playback devices completely separate, if possible, so they can be more easily replaced. Is there a good cheap NAS solution for this? I've been a Unix kid forever, so I'm fine getting in the weeds a bit with setup, but once it's set up I want it to just work.

Also, there's not really a way to migrate off a Drobo without just copying poo poo off to new drives, right?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Speaking of my lovely setup, this may be more suited for the NAS/Storage thread, but I *need* to do something about my lovely setup. I run SAB/Sonarr/Radarr off my 2011 iMac that probably has bad RAM or something because it's consistently making GBS threads the bed, store on an old Drobo which I named "toaster" because the lights reminded me of cylons and BSG was literally on the air at the time, and mount the Drobo on my Pi 3 over NFS, then use Kodi to playback.

I want to upgrade to a machine that's dedicated to downloading/serving media -- I'd like to keep the playback devices completely separate, if possible, so they can be more easily replaced. Is there a good cheap NAS solution for this? I've been a Unix kid forever, so I'm fine getting in the weeds a bit with setup, but once it's set up I want it to just work.

Also, there's not really a way to migrate off a Drobo without just copying poo poo off to new drives, right?

If you're comfortable with the commandline and linux/unix you have a few options.

For hardware, you can run whatever you want TBH. I'm running off a Haswell i5 that I cannibalized out of a dead machine, a bunch of WD TB Reds and a regular motherboard. I'd love if I went the suppermicro route with an IPKVM but nope! I'll leave the ECC argument to you, personally, I think its worthless if youre just storing linux isos, but if youre a data hoarder who is worried about bit flips, then go for it if its in the budget. I dont use it, and everything has been ok for me.

For OS, use what you want.

Want something dead simple with a full Linux under it? Willing to pay money? Unraid.

DIY?

Ubuntu or Centos with a storage setup you like. ZFS, mdadm, JBOD, snapraid, whatever you want here!

No matter what, I'd definitely do docker containers for your apps, it keeps your base OS clean and it makes installing and updating a breeze. Try to stick to one flavor of images, linuxserver.io makes very goo dimages for pretty much anything you can think of, and since they all pretty much use the same base image, it saves you space.

If you go the homegrown docker route, definitely create a new docker network so you get the benefits of internal DNS. You can configure your services to talk to one another on the internal network instead of having to fishhook out throught the main IP. If you go with UnRAID, all you have to do is create a new docker network in the GUI and attach your existing containers to it.

And yes, for migrating, its rsync time.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
I have x265 preferred in sonarr/radarr because I can't tell the diff and the sizes are smaller. My 2017 android TV plays them in the kodi app without issues.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

If anyone is the DIY-type with a setup on Linux I can really recommend looking into Ansible-NAS. It is a pretty well-developed at this point, customizable, Ansible setup for all the bullshit that people like that us that post in this thread want to do. All the benefit of a fully dockerized/docker-compose setup with a sane setup and defaults that should just work with minimal work and is very customizable with just YAML configs. Only thing it was missing when I set it up was Hydra and it took me about 20 minutes to figure out how to get that set up and integrated perfectly with only minimal Docker and no Ansible experience.

It does come with poo poo like Portainer to do graphical management but I recommend just using the YAML and keeping all of your management automatic with Ansible so you never have to touch it. Just changing a single YAML line to "true" to enable Watchtower has kept my whole system with NZBGet/Sonarr/Radarr/Transmission/Plex/Tautulli/Hydra + some other non-media images like Home Assistant running without issues or janitoring for over a year.

It doesn't want anything to do with managing your storage, you just give it paths, so you can use whatever level of insanity you like there. I have mine running with a 4-disk Raid-1 Btrfs pool.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

If anyone is the DIY-type with a setup on Linux I can really recommend looking into Ansible-NAS. It is a pretty well-developed at this point, customizable, Ansible setup for all the bullshit that people like that us that post in this thread want to do. All the benefit of a fully dockerized/docker-compose setup with a sane setup and defaults that should just work with minimal work and is very customizable with just YAML configs. Only thing it was missing when I set it up was Hydra and it took me about 20 minutes to figure out how to get that set up and integrated perfectly with only minimal Docker and no Ansible experience.

It does come with poo poo like Portainer to do graphical management but I recommend just using the YAML and keeping all of your management automatic with Ansible so you never have to touch it. Just changing a single YAML line to "true" to enable Watchtower has kept my whole system with NZBGet/Sonarr/Radarr/Transmission/Plex/Tautulli/Hydra + some other non-media images like Home Assistant running without issues or janitoring for over a year.

It doesn't want anything to do with managing your storage, you just give it paths, so you can use whatever level of insanity you like there. I have mine running with a 4-disk Raid-1 Btrfs pool.

Woah that's awesome. It's Ubuntu only though right?

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Woah that's awesome. It's Ubuntu only though right?

Yeah. It might work on Debian since it is set up for apt though I don't think the Universe repository works the same way there. There isn't much Ubuntu-specific that I can tell other than the general setup to make sure all the necessary packages and Docker are set up right. Getting it to work on another distribution probably wouldn't be more difficult than tweaking a couple of the Ansible tasks to use whatever package manager you need in the tasks/general.yml and tasks/docker.yml.

bradsh
Sep 17, 2007
titles are overrated
I have NGD, farm, cheapnews and blocknews with indexing through nzbgeek and nzbplanet. Still have a lot of things not findable. Is there some indexer that will fix this for me or is stuff just becoming quickly unavailable on usenet these days?

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Between tweak and frugal (with their new farm backup) I have very few issues.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Is anyone running Nzbhydra2 in a docker instance behind a reverse proxy with NGINX? I have a subdomain nzbhydra.mydomain.com pointing to it. It works fine, but it's just slooooooooooooow. If I reconfigure the container so I reach it directly through http://host.ip:7878/ it's much faster. I have radarr and sonarr setup the same way and they don't have any problems.

It's odd.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Is anyone running Nzbhydra2 in a docker instance behind a reverse proxy with NGINX? I have a subdomain nzbhydra.mydomain.com pointing to it. It works fine, but it's just slooooooooooooow. If I reconfigure the container so I reach it directly through http://host.ip:7878/ it's much faster. I have radarr and sonarr setup the same way and they don't have any problems.

It's odd.

Can't say anything specific about this setup but you should be able to tail the nginx log in the container and it'll give you some info about what's going on. Are you using the jwilder/nginx-proxy container?

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

The post about NGINX with docker containers reminds me that even if you don't go full Ansible-NAS with your setup, consider using Traefik instead of NGINX. It has some amazing integration with Docker containers that can require almost no config beyond adding a few labels to your docker-compose.yml files and has built-in Let's Encrypt integration.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

The post about NGINX with docker containers reminds me that even if you don't go full Ansible-NAS with your setup, consider using Traefik instead of NGINX. It has some amazing integration with Docker containers that can require almost no config beyond adding a few labels to your docker-compose.yml files and has built-in Let's Encrypt integration.

Yeah, I'm playing around with this the last few weeks and its really nice.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Can't say anything specific about this setup but you should be able to tail the nginx log in the container and it'll give you some info about what's going on. Are you using the jwilder/nginx-proxy container?

I'm using nginx-proxy-manager:

https://github.com/jc21/nginx-proxy-manager

I'll ditch it for Traefik since that seems like a better option. I was using a vanilla nginx docker with my own configs, but I wanted a GUI so I switched over, but I don't need it really.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I prefer haproxy for that sort of thing.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm using nginx-proxy-manager:

https://github.com/jc21/nginx-proxy-manager

I'll ditch it for Traefik since that seems like a better option. I was using a vanilla nginx docker with my own configs, but I wanted a GUI so I switched over, but I don't need it really.

jwilders' nginx proxy has the same automation as Traefik, I started using it on prod stuff at work where I'm hosting multiple small web services on the same host and don't want people to have to memorize ports, before I knew what Traefik was. The added env vars are simpler in jwilders' compared to Traefik from the quick look at it. The Traefik GUI is also only for monitoring stuff internally also, not sure if you can change config on it.

The ACME stuff in Traefik is very interesting though, I've been wanting to test it out for our DMZ proxy stuff using the manual/file config to get away from Squid but haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

It's odd.

I'm using an unraid docker for LetsEncrypt+nginx and having no issues with nzbhydra2. If you decide to keep going with it let me know and I'll post my config.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah, I'm playing around with this the last few weeks and its really nice.

Apart from the move from 1.7 to 2 it’s been brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Just a quick update. I ended up installing Traefik 2.1 with forward auth leveraging Google Oauth to protect all my containers. It's all working very well. I know maybe it's not the best to open up 443 to the world, but all the containers that matter are protected by Oauth. The ones that Oauth doesn't work with (like the calibre container that uses Guac) I just whiltelist to local IPs only.

I think that it's a reasonable enough solution. Maybe I'm susceptible to DDOS, but that'd happen if I only had Ombi open anyways.