Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Blinkz0rz posted:

post the salary range with the job posting and save everyone a bunch of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
joke's on us, companies don't have to carry computer touchers on their own payrolls

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
successfully avoided saying a number in a phone screen and they said the range is 130%-180% of my current base so yeah do that you guys, 2nd round next week. :toot:

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Just had a recruiter try to recruit me for a senior-level Linux kernel developer job. Salary range: $95k-$115k plus relocation assistance to Kansas City :shitman:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

relocating is such a loving weird thing in 2020, to me

if you gotta get out, you gotta get out, but what if you already live in chicago or seattle or nyc or something? there's a ton of tradeoffs.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
It would take probably double that offer for me to even consider living in Kansas City.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

barkbell posted:

ya i think it's that, plus they need me to start 2/15. recruiter just emailed me this morning saying oops he was looking at the wrong position and this one is actually an amount thats not much over what i currently make. i told him that doesnt work and good luck in your search.

Good power move, let us know when they call you back with a better offer.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

met with a recruiter on Monday who called me a "rare stallion" lol

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

JawnV6 posted:

hey, don't work there

if you insist on not changing that, maybe don't blame candidates for not playing your "should i work for poverty wages??" text box guessing game or putting a 0, im amazed you can exclude 0 < x < 69k and x > 71k but aren't clowning on anyone silly enough to actually write 70k

when i was laid off and looking for work "0" was my answer for all that poo poo

i realize the thread consensus is already "your company bad" but just wanted to address this, the candidate does not have to write exactly 70k, anything less than about 85k and we're at least in the same ballpark so they pass the filter. if they put 65k that's great! 60k is even better! 0 or $1 or whatever placeholder for "i'm not answering that question" means "ok then, i'm not interviewing you"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean, anybody that knows enough about interviewing to not answer that question also probably knows enough to not take $70k in the bay, so tbh that's a pretty reasonable move. the unreasonable thing of course is continuing to work there

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
"met with a recruiter on Monday who called me a rare stallion"

<bad luck brian>

"basashi"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Devonaut posted:

did you tell him your cover fee?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The offer from my current company was 60% higher than what I was being paid at my old company, but yes I was underpaid.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Jabor posted:

Good power move, let us know when they call you back with a better offer.

last night.

is contracting good? do you learn more faster that way?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

barkbell posted:

is contracting good? do you learn more faster that way?

this question is nearly meaningless hth

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i should clarify, is giving up a good mentor to chase some money contracting early in career a good call? i understand it's case-by0case, and i'm unfamiliar with contracting maybe you learn lots and get mentored that way, but is there a general rule to go by?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Devonaut posted:

this recruiter was DTF and you missed your shot

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

third interview today. i’m told is “just an informal chat that’s really an opportunity for you to ask more questions about the role” and lol if you think i’m falling for that one

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

jesus WEP posted:

third interview today. i’m told is “just an informal chat that’s really an opportunity for you to ask more questions about the role” and lol if you think i’m falling for that one

what, is that code for "we've written up an offer and hope you're too flustered to negotiate"?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I assume they’re gonna ask me a bunch of questions because I’ve had two technicals with almost no questions

otoh you could be right because they’ve scheduled these interviews basically one day after the other, they might be desperate to get people in

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

Our "informal chat" stage has a multipage document about what questions to ask, examples of good answers and red flags, and how to sell the role.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

pointsofdata posted:

Our "informal chat" stage has a multipage document about what questions to ask, examples of good answers and red flags, and how to sell the role.

what are some good red flags

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

barkbell posted:

i should clarify, is giving up a good mentor to chase some money contracting early in career a good call? i understand it's case-by0case, and i'm unfamiliar with contracting maybe you learn lots and get mentored that way, but is there a general rule to go by?
I've done a lot of contract work, it can be a good way to stack some chips but I've been converted to full time exactly once. contract just means they don't want to hire anyone full time. you'll work for an agency which will probably give you some benefits [not including paid time off] but generally be useless. you won't get to attend some company events but people inside the company will generally treat you like an employee. it's possible if they like you that you'll time out after 18 months to 2 years and have to find a new job anyway. after a while you really start missing vacations and the agency's benefits are usually pretty weak [like they'll offer a 401k but it'll have lovely funds and they won't match]. you'll tell yourself the extra money will easily cover time off but I found it really hard to give up half a paycheck to give myself a break

overall it's a job but with extra paperwork and less security and I've found the money to not be as good as it used to be, 12 years ago contracting would usually be 30-50% more than full time and it pretty much never goes up if you stay put. my current full time job pays only 10% less than my previous contract. that said certain jobs like contracting for a consulting company will pay pretty well but then you're like double not an employee and consulting sucks balls

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
agreeing with qirex

contracting is good if you need a job right away or if youre looking to switch career tracks or break into a particular company. but its generally no raises, crummy benefits, no security, and lots of small reminders that you arent a "real" employee.

"contract to hire" is a scam 90% of the time - the company never quite gets around to the "...to hire" part (but theyll happily string you along with muttering about next quarter, when the new budget comes out, etc etc)

full time employment is better than contracting on almost every level

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ty those are some good perspectives

got the benefits sheet and its like 1.5% match and nothing else, bleh

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Don't contract unless you need the job imo, I've been lied to about every contract I've ever done. They will never hire you off contract no matter how much they say they want to.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the only reason I’d do contracting would be some kind of consultant/client relationship

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
If you want to do contracting, make sure you bill the company for a lot of money.

Contracting is a total scam if it's anything less than double the takehome pay you'd be happy with at a permanent gig. Also remember that it'll end, so make sure you've got something lined up for when that happens.

Like if you'd be happy with a 150k/yr salary in a permanent position, don't contract for less than 40 hours/week @ $150/hour.

Also contracting agencies are rent-seeking parasites who will skim a shocking amount of money off the top in exchange for nothing.

If your target company wants you to use a contracting agency, negotiate with that agency about how much margin they get. There is literally nothing the agency does that is worth 25% of the price they're billing for you. And it's probably more open for negotiation than you'd think. You have a lot of leverage if the company already wants you.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 7, 2020

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Progressive JPEG posted:

the only reason I’d do contracting would be some kind of consultant/client relationship

if you are really a consultant you’re an employee of the consultancy and you get paid at least a base salary by your employer even when on the bench, otherwise its just a contracting agency calling itself a consultancy.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

Contracting is a total scam if it's anything less than double the takehome pay you'd be happy with at a permanent gig. Also remember that it'll end, so make sure you've got something lined up for when that happens.

Like if you'd be happy with a 150k/yr salary in a permanent position, don't contract for less than 40 hours/week @ $150/hour.
this is sound advice on its face but pretty much impossible unless you're doing something insanely trendy. medium to big businesses typically can't hire 1099s, they have to use approved vendors for liability/compliance reasons and if you're a consultant who can meet those enterprise standards you don't need this advice. if some tiny place is willing to pay you 150 an hour they're probably going to jerk you around and try to not actually give you any money at least not in fewer than 4 months [seriously a lot of places are trying to universally pull net120 on invoicing now]

it's almost impossible to negotiate a rate with a contract agency even though they are keeping 30% of your billed dollars, maybe 5 bucks an hour or something, the only time I've successfully done it was by playing 2 contract agencies against each other

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
the position is w2 through a staffing agency that happens to have its own team that makes products, this one would be for a bank. i guess i'm just being cautious because a year ago i was filing papers as an auditor, and i don't want to do some dumb poo poo at the beginning of my computer touching career.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Negotiating for a bigger cut of the billed hours probably won't hurt you. The worst thing that'll happen is your staffing agency will say no.

And really the agency isn't your friend in the first place so it doesn't matter if they don't like you.

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 7, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah you might as well ask for more money if they sound really interested

one other experience I've had with contract companies is they usually try to get your butt in a seat as fast as possible, sometimes before the client is even ready for you to start. I sat one place without a real computer or proper network credentials for 2 weeks, easy money but make sure you talk start date with the client

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

qirex posted:

net120 on invoicing now

lmoarf

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
talk about pipeline

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
last email recruiter offered +50% of my current salary. it gives me a chance to tangentially touch some tech that I am weak in that is popular in my city as well.

I’ll make sure to bring up start date in my response. ty for entertaining my dumbass questions

barkbell fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 7, 2020

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

JawnV6 posted:

talk about pipeline
there's a famous design youtube called "gently caress you, pay me" where the guy suggests offering a 3% discount for net30. he also suggests writing "no final deliverables until final payment received" into the contract which is something I wish I'd know when I was a babby freelancer. it turns out lots of companies will happily just not pay you if they think they can get away with it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ive had a lot of recruiters ask me for salary expectations and today I tried out " I'm not concerned about the salary, employers in the city tend to pay pretty well" and the recruiter said yeah... and moved on

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
has anybody figured out a good way to not name the first number?

I haven't hit on a good strategy that doesn't annoy the recruiter yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

interview 3 turned out to exactly what they said it was. a dude over in their hq in florida who was very nice and answered all my questions that the dev here in ireland couldn’t

loving weird