Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I’m glad someone explained that guy in the dino cage gif because it is NOT obvious he’s pulling a tooth as he shakes his crotch in close proximity to a dino mouth.

I’ve only seen parts of Fallen Kingdom. I liked Jurassic Park, but it had a mean streak that makes additional viewings difficult. It’s like watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. The first time was good. The second time you start wondering what the director’s problem with women is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

AFewBricksShy posted:

I suspect that at one point there was an intent to have a punchline to that whole scene of her climbing, soaking wet, out of the tank and saying something like "I quit". It's the only way that scene makes any sense being in the movie, otherwise it's just needlessly mean.

from what i've heard, it was originally supposed to be a whole subplot where the shithead kid just desperately wants her to die for whatever reason and then she dies that way, with the brutality being sort of a finger on the monkey's paw curling to make him feel really bad about it

which still sounds kind of weird and bad but at least makes sense?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

oldpainless posted:

The first is a really enjoyable movie. The second is bad.

The first is a really enjoyable BAD movie. The second is bad in an unenjoyable way.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

It’s like watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. The first time was good. The second time you start wondering what the director’s problem with women is.

Quentin Tarantino has a... problematic history with women in his movies, yes.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Even when Tarentino has female leads as protagonists, other women in the film get treated on a level that borders on cruelty.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Android Apocalypse posted:

Even when Tarentino has female leads as protagonists, other women in the film get treated on a level that borders on cruelty.

He's following in the footsteps of great auteurs like Kubrick and Hitchcock :goonsay:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Tarantino is the poster child for that phenomenon where you're acutely aware when watching a scene that the director only put it in the film to wank to.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Technically he put it in so you would know he would wank to it and likes that you know so good job being complicit with his meta-masturbation.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Technically he put it in so you would know he would wank to it and likes that you know so good job being complicit with his meta-masturbation.

Metasturbation

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Bussamove posted:

Quentin Tarantino has a... problematic history with women in his movies, yes.

Death Proof is good, but only the second half. Hateful Eight is fantastic, except for all the parts where they’re beating on the one woman. Once Upon a Time has Oscar caliber performances, as long as you pretend you’re Rick Dalton’s new wife and sleep through that final scene. At least Inglorious Basterds only had the one woma...no, wait, yep just like Hateful Eight.

Tarantino is consistent for sure.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Pilchenstein posted:

Tarantino is the poster child for that phenomenon where you're acutely aware when watching a scene that the director only put it in the film to wank to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E06W_56YFY

40 seconds to 57 seconds.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In the first home alone, Kevin looks at the camera when he says the line “I made my family disappear”. I think it’s the only time he ever does that.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He also screams directly into the camera half a dozen times.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Even his female leads have weird problems like the Bride getting raped while comatose in the hospital.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BioEnchanted posted:

Even his female leads have weird problems like the Bride getting raped while comatose in the hospital.

To be fair, he put Bruce Willis and Ving Rhames through the same threat in Pulp Fiction.

But I do think Tarantino has issues.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He also screams directly into the camera half a dozen times.

He also addresses the audience on a couple occasions without directly looking at the camera (i.e. shaving scene).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

BioEnchanted posted:

That was so completely unnecessary, especially the cruel fakeout. It's set up as though this is the first time Buck or anyone else has raped the Bride in particular, and you're ready for her to wake up and take revenge when this dude starts touching her. But then Tarantino just had to stick in that "Oh wait, I forgot, her vagina gets real dry so here's some Vaseline"

And only Ving Rhames actually gets raped in Pulp Fiction, and it only happens the once.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

The very slow and incredibly long zooming in on her feet right after too

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

oldpainless posted:

In the first home alone, Kevin looks at the camera when he says the line “I made my family disappear”. I think it’s the only time he ever does that.

What about the,
"This is my house, I have to defend it." shot?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I've just finished watching Banshee's last season and I'm pissed that they did my boy Burton dirty.

On the other hand, I was surprised at how dark Michael Bluth got after he ditched his old family.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samuringa posted:

The very slow and incredibly long zooming in on her feet right after too

I know the reason for it is typical Tarantino but at least for once it fit the plot since she was trying to move them after a coma.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I know the reason for it is typical Tarantino but at least for once it fit the plot since she was trying to move them after a coma.

Cinematographer: So we're zooming in on the feet so you can feel the tension as the Bride is both figuratively and literally reborn?

Tarantino: Sure, let's go with that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Well I was incorrect about the number of times the fourth wall is broken in home alone but it still annoys me

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Whenever I hear the Home Alone theme I cant not think about how well 'This is Halloween' fits into it and its ruining both songs

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

At least Inglorious Basterds only had the one woma...no, wait, yep just like Hateful Eight.

Tarantino is consistent for sure.
Basterds is extra yikes because Tarantino insisted on choking Diane Kruger and he really does choke her out.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

torgeaux posted:

The first is a really enjoyable BAD movie. The second is bad in an unenjoyable way.

The first is both bad and problematic, the second is just bad because it's so dumb.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Alhazred posted:

Basterds is extra yikes because Tarantino insisted on choking Diane Kruger and he really does choke her out.

I thought the story was that Tarantino acting as hand model was Diane Kruger's idea because she trusted him.

Edit:
But that would imply that she didn't trust Christoph Waltz...
hosed up if true.

Gargamel Gibson has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Feb 7, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy
No, you're apparently thinking of the time he choked Uma Thurman during Kill Bill - he claims that was her idea but for Basterds, it was because he hates it when women don't look authentically strangled in films, so he had to dress up like a nazi and choke his actress for realism.

Edit: https://www.indiewire.com/2018/02/quentin-tarantino-chokes-uma-thurman-diane-kruger-kill-bill-inglourious-basterds-1201925510/

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Taken in a vacuum there's a logic to it, he's doing something that could theoretically go horribly wrong so as the boss he doesn't think it would be fair to delegate that responsibility on anyone else. If it goes wrong, he wants to be the one solely to blame.

Of course, his track record is more than just that so you can't really take it in a vacuum.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Basebf555 posted:

Taken in a vacuum there's a logic to it, he's doing something that could theoretically go horribly wrong so as the boss he doesn't think it would be fair to delegate that responsibility on anyone else. If it goes wrong, he wants to be the one solely to blame.

Of course, his track record is more than just that so you can't really take it in a vacuum.
Eh, even without his track record I'd still be asking why he's such an expert on what stranglings look like :v:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

Eh, even without his track record I'd still be asking why he's such an expert on what stranglings look like :v:

Well I think we've all seen a movie or t.v. show where someone is being strangled and you can clearly see that they aren't actually being strangled. He wanted it to look as real as possible, which is a relatively normal instinct for a movie director to have.

I have more of an issue with his insistence on writing himself into Pulp Fiction as a guy who loves to say the n-word.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

He just wanted the sayings of the n-word to be as realistic as possible

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
He's a very hands-on director.

I don't necessarily have a problem with how he did it, but the more you know about Tarantino the worse it gets. I didn't necessarily have a problem with Brad Pitt's character in Once Upon a Time, but knowing his history I wouldn't get on a boat with him.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

I have more of an issue with his insistence on writing himself into Pulp Fiction as a guy who loves to say the n-word.
I an willing to give him a pass on that because he very clearly wrote Jimmy as a guy who thinks he's really badass but everyone else thinks is an idiot who they only tolerate because they're out of other options.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Jimmy scene was desperately needed comic relief. It's slotted between sticking a watch up your rear end and anal rape. Without it you've got about 20 minutes of straight butt stuff. The audience needs a break.

The language is rough, but it also gave us signs about dead [insert noun] storage, good coffee, Oak Man, and The Wolf.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei GlÀser
Uh the watch scene is one of the funniest things QT ever committed to screen. Also, he was the one to push the watch up Christopher Walken.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

Hot Rope Guy

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Jimmy scene was desperately needed comic relief. It's slotted between sticking a watch up your rear end and anal rape.
No it isn't, Christopher Walken telling Butch that his dad died of watch in rear end disease and the sex crime stuff are both in the middle segment of the film, Jimmy's house is the final segment.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

yea when did you last watch it? it winston "the" wolf telling the goombas to gently caress off, dolly zoom out, cue popeye stroll by the mar-keys

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pilchenstein posted:

No it isn't, Christopher Walken telling Butch that his dad died of watch in rear end disease and the sex crime stuff are both in the middle segment of the film, Jimmy's house is the final segment.

Okay, I got mixed up and thought the movie mostly ended with Butch driving off on Zed's motorcycle. So all the butt stuff was in the middle.

Krankenstyle posted:

yea when did you last watch it? it winston "the" wolf telling the goombas to gently caress off, dolly zoom out, cue popeye stroll by the mar-keys

Julia Sweeney had 2 movies in 1994 - Pulp Fiction and It's Pat, so it was a year of contrasts.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 21:03 on Feb 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Okay, I got mixed up and thought the movie mostly ended with Butch driving off on Zed's motorcycle. So all the butt stuff was in the middle.
Were you at the screening where staff thought the reels had got mixed up, so rearranged them into chronological order?